Cuban Cruise Review - May 1st, 2017 - The very FIRST Norwegian sailing!!!

CTCruiser001

Thanks for doing this for all of us that will be sailing to Cuba on NCL Sky in the future.

I also have one question is it going to be a hassle if we just use US Currency and not fool with the exchange of money. Thanks

It would be a HUGE hassle - US currency is NOT accepted in Cuba at stores, restaurants (just about anywhere). You must exchange it for CUCs. It isn't even particularly desirable as a tip - since Cubans can't spend it anywhere and would have to get it exchanged. Note spend any CUCs you get BEFORE you leave Cuba - they are not exchangeable.

It would be a HUGE hassle - US currency is NOT accepted in Cuba at stores, restaurants (just about anywhere). You must exchange it for CUCs. It isn't even particularly desirable as a tip - since Cubans can't spend it anywhere and would have to get it exchanged. Note spend any CUCs you get BEFORE you leave Cuba - they are not exchangeable.

Are you saying you can't go back to a bank before departing Cuba to exchange any remaining CUC to USD?

Just read the CC article which says Del Rio was on board when the boat docked at Havana at 8a, and there was a ribbon cutting ceremony. I wonder if that was why they couldn't let anyone off the boat early, and had to go with the ticket system. Would be curious to see how the disembarkation works next week without the ceremony.

I can totally understand the deluge of people getting off the boat around 9.30a considering the massive amount of excursions at that time, but don't see any reason why they shouldn't be letting people off the boat prior to those excursions. Especially so considering there is only one excursion at 8.30 and again at 9a. Seems a perfect opportunity to get some people off the boat before they have to 'close' it to all the 9.30 people.

Are you saying you can't go back to a bank before departing Cuba to exchange any remaining CUC to USD?

Correct - or to any other currency. It's a one-way exchange.

You can exchange Euros or Canadian dollars to CUC fairly easily but don't take out more than you plan to spend. Basically plan to buy up souvenirs (or cigars, etc.) with what is leftover before you reboard.

Not that dissimilar from other very economically disadvantaged countries. We encountered the same issues, for example, in Cambodia and Romania. You are better off carrying Euros or Canadian dollars and converting those as you go since you can get those exchanged back to US at home.

Thanks for doing this for all of us that will be sailing to Cuba on NCL Sky in the future.

I also have one question is it going to be a hassle if we just use US Currency and not fool with the exchange of money. Thanks

Are you referring to changing your USD to another Currency (i.e. Euro) before you go? That is done because there is a 10% surcharge on USD exchanged in Cuba to CUC...that charge does not exist for other currencies.

mkm1998, please join our roll call! We'd love to have you. Also, I think you're getting some misinformation here. Check the Cuba destination board for good advice. USD can be converted to CUC, but it is a 10% surcharge, which means you get 87 CUC for $100. Also, I believe you can exchange back to USD at the "cadeca" at the port, but it would mean getting hit again by fees, so it's best to change as you go. On our roll call, I passed along some cost information that I received from our tour guide, if that's helpful.

To the OP...you are my hero. Thanks for the extensive information and the photos. I hope you were able to get off the ship earlier than originally thought, and that your day in Havana was amazing!

Also, I believe you can exchange back to USD at the "cadeca" at the port, but it would mean getting hit again by fees, so it's best to change as you go.

This is definitely an update from experienced friends who were there earlier this year (but not on a cruise) who were unable to exchange back to US. Perhaps it's the "indirect" exchange that is possible - i.e. you can exchange to one currency then to another. Those are always a huge hit. Always "possible". Not always the smartest of moves. 😉

Yes sort of.

Really you can only exchange CUCs at a cadeca (official exchange) AND you cannot exchange CUCs anywhere outside of Cuba (CUCs are not actually an official currency) . My advice unless you enjoy hunting down a cadeca just before you leave (there may be one at or near the port - I have no idea) spend your CUCs and don't get too many to begin with.

Edited by Zeno
To clarify

Is the Muster Drill outside?!? Egad! How dreadful.

I have always maintained that the Muster Drill is the absolute worst part of a cruise. It is only tolerable after having a few drinks.

Does anyone else have this problem?

if you aren't drunk by muster, you're doing it wrong.

Quick catch up for everyone.

As we are members of AAA, we were able to order Euros to convert into CUC (pronounced Kook). AAA did the transaction through Wells Fargo, not my favorite banking insitution, but the fee was very very low. The CUC$ is the Cuban currency used mainly by tourist and other visitors. It’s value is on par for the USD, but there is a 10% penalty for converting USD into CUC, so this is where the Euros come in. I did the math and figured out we would save a bit of money (and maybe a bit of hassle) using Euros. We will see how this goes when we get to Cuba.

Stay tuned…

What was your rate to exchange to Euros? How did the exchange in Cuba go?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are back on the ship!!! Everything went much smoother than anticipated. I will have more details later, but our day was wonderful! We are going to take cold showers because wow!! is it hot out there or what!?!?

Stay tuned...0edc80c6cfe270c5c3d0626c025cf1eb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

With all this talk about exchanging money, does anyone know how much things cost there? Do the Cubans bargain? This would help me decide how much money to exchange.

Thanks

Ashlee

12/2017: NCL Pearl: Western Caribbean

5/2017: NCL Sky: Cuba

4/2014: MSC Musica: Western Mediterranean

4/2013: MSC Fantasia: Eastern Mediterranean

2/2011: NCL Sky: Bahamas

1/2009: Carnival Imagination: Baja Mexico

6/2007: Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas: Bermuda

4/2005: Celebrity Constellation: Southern Caribbean

Correct - or to any other currency. It's a one-way exchange.

You can exchange Euros or Canadian dollars to CUC fairly easily but don't take out more than you plan to spend. Basically plan to buy up souvenirs (or cigars, etc.) with what is leftover before you reboard.

Not that dissimilar from other very economically disadvantaged countries. We encountered the same issues, for example, in Cambodia and Romania. You are better off carrying Euros or Canadian dollars and converting those as you go since you can get those exchanged back to US at home.

WRONG! the currency exchanges at the pier work both ways. When you are ready to leave Cuba you trade back your CUCs. I know I did it.

Yea! So happy that you had a fantastic day. Would LOVE to hear about what private tour company you used, what stops you made today and where you ate and drank while on the Island? Can't wait to hear more! :D

WRONG! the currency exchanges at the pier work both ways. When you are ready to leave Cuba you trade back your CUCs. I know I did it.

This is definitely an update to the information I've been getting from others (both recent travelers to Cuba - but non-cruise - and travel agent). it has previously been reported that you cannot directly convert CUC to US or vice-versa so instead has to do a double conversion (which in essence is a decent percentage hit both ways).

I still plan to take Euros but it sounds like two people are now reporting no problems to exchanging US dollars either way directly at the pier?

I am hoping to post a bit more later, but we are at dinner in Cagney's now before heading out to do some nightlife on our own.

Please stay tuned...592adcf4ecaeb361975c9b0349216499.jpga146912dcb5fd633255d05071a01b291.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ohhh... Buena Vista Social Club at the Hotel Nacional? I cannot wait until next week!!! :hearteyes:

As you can see in the aft photo of the ship, my 360 camera is visable at the bottom also working to take shots – Anyone have ideas how to share these?

I see you have a Ricoh Theta, same 360 cam I have. In order to share the pics they have to be hosted by a website that supports a 360 viewer. I share mine through theta360.com via Twitter. From there you can get a link to post here. Hope this helps.

Wow, I really hope this doesn't become true. I would assume a lot of people who have private excursions will be rather upset to find out their entire morning will be lost. I'm booked on the June 5th cruise, and already have a full day private tour booked. They could pick me up as early as 9a. I really REALLY hope we can get out at a decent hour in the morning to make the most of our day.

Who is your private tour with?

Hooray for OCD/Attention to detail. My printing EVERYTHING and having it on hand drove my husband CRAZY. BUT when it was needed, I had it at my fingertips. CT ... These posts are wonderful. They are SO helpful and enjoyable. Thanks, again.

So the address on your Uber receipt ... is that a correct address for us to use when we go to the port? Oh, and your driver looks like he HATES life & his job! He would have SCARED me to pieces! JMHO ...