Cuban Cruise Review - May 1st, 2017 - The very FIRST Norwegian sailing!!!

CTCruiser001

Ok, this is completely off topic, and my apologies. But some posters here have been on tons of cruises, I wanted to ask it here. I am reading another thread and it's been stated 3 times (I think 4) that people have been found dead in their cabin. Once indicated a murder & 'perp' was person across the hall. One was an overboard that didn't survive. Now, this seems like a lot .... to me at least. Has anyone been on a cruise where someone has died .... died in any manner .... poor health (heart attack), overboard or murdered?

First thank you so much for your wonderful posts. We're going in June so it was very helpful.

But to answer your question: we've been on 29 or 30 cruises and only once were we aware of a death on board. It was a longer trip so many people had at least met her. It was health related. If you actually think about the numbers of people cruising each day, as well as a tilt toward the more seasoned (but young at heart) population, I don't think the number of deaths would be unusual.

Thanks again for the info. Maybe we'll cruise together some day.

Ok, this is completely off topic, and my apologies. But some posters here have been on tons of cruises, I wanted to ask it here. I am reading another thread and it's been stated 3 times (I think 4) that people have been found dead in their cabin. Once indicated a murder & 'perp' was person across the hall. One was an overboard that didn't survive. Now, this seems like a lot .... to me at least. Has anyone been on a cruise where someone has died .... died in any manner .... poor health (heart attack), overboard or murdered?

You have to figure that some of These ships are bigger than some cities. It's not strange that someone might pass from natural causes. They actually have a morgue on each ship. Some folks might see thjs as the perfect way to end their lives and in a very, very rare case, end someone else's life. I've been on many cruises I've never felt that I was going to die. So I think you're safe

We don't cruise until next month...but I've been to Havana this time of year before and it is HOT and HUMID....so hot that we now refer to extreme heat as "Cuba Hot" in our conversation at home....you'll sweat a lot....and should drink a lot of water...

You refer to the heat several times. Do you know what the temperature was or can you estimate? Was it hotter than Miami? Were you allowed to bring bottled water off the ship?

Thank you so much for taking your time to post this review and answering all of our questions. We are on the August 14th sail and working with Blexie about our excursion. Again, thank you

Ask for Roly! He was terrific!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

We have been on a "2 overboard" found alive . Drinking was involved. It made People Mag.

1 crew member fell off a scaffold in port on a Panama trip. Died

Had a Helo evac on a trip down the Mississippi. Don't know what happened.

I have no plans, but I have nothing against traveling to Cuba per se. The language in my comment was taken directly from the US government's guidelines for what counts as acceptable activities for Americans in Cuba. I'm not sure if people understand that this is what they're swearing to when they sign the travel affidavit, and it's kind of weird that Cuba allows Americans into the country under these circumstances, except that all parties involved seem to understand that this is just one big charade. Until someone suddenly decides that it's not… Unlikely, maybe, but a lot of highly unlikely things have been happening in the last few months.

It's not actually Cuba "allowing us into their country" under these guidelines. These are the guidelines/circumstance set forth by the US government under OFAC and the Department of Treasury. My guess is Cuba would very much like our $$ and tourist dollars and doesn't care why we are there . The US originally started the embargo against Cuba, including the travel ban and sanctions on trade etc. The US still has very tight sanctions against Cuba and imports. So if anyone comes after you for violating the travel affidavit, it will be the US government. Unless of course you are an "enemy of the state" from Cuba (which could mean anything they want it to mean). Then I don't recommend visiting as they might not let you leave. ;)

We have been on a "2 overboard" found alive . Drinking was involved. It made People Mag.

Had a Helo evac on a trip down the Mississippi. Don't know what happened.[/quote

? Wrong thread???

I am going on the empress of the seas on royal Caribbean andwe have a full day in Cuba. A few quick questions,do you have to have an excursion booked to get off the boat? Once you are done with your excursion can youwalk around on your own? Also where is thebest place to exchange currency?

Greetings all,

It’s been a long while since I wrote a review…However, with us sailing on the very first trip to Cuba with Norwegian, I figured we would be able to maybe help others with our experiences.

So, here goes – Please be kind.

If you have any questions along the way, I will attempt to answer these as best as I can. I make no promises that this review will be live, but I will attempt to update as often as I can.

Stay tuned...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Had a Helo evac on a trip down the Mississippi. Don't know what happened.[/quote

? Wrong thread???

Response to post #500. Off topic as they said.

I am going on the empress of the seas on royal Caribbean andwe have a full day in Cuba. A few quick questions,do you have to have an excursion booked to get off the boat? Once you are done with your excursion can youwalk around on your own? Also where is thebest place to exchange currency?

Most of your questions are answered in the 500 + post, but we'll review them real quick.

On NCL we do not have to have an excursion through the cruise line, you can make your own arrangements with tour cars or shows. NCL of course claims the excursions meet the people to people requirements on your visa affidavit. If you go on your own just remember to journal your interaction with the locals. NCL will be there overnight so walking around after day one isn't a problem, again must journal. You are not on vacation, this is a cultural exchange visit. You exchange money right after you get off the ship and through security and customs. Most everybody that actually exchanges money will have the same rate within a few cents. At least this is what I have seen in my other travels. No one has said differently on the forums here about Cuba.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am going on the empress of the seas on royal Caribbean andwe have a full day in Cuba.A few quick questions,do you have to have an excursion booked to get off the boat?Once you are done with your excursion can youwalk around on your own?Also where is thebest place to exchange currency?

I will be leaving 5/29th for Cuba, but from what I have read on this thread ... NO you do NOT need an excursion through the cruise ship. You can ALWAYS just walk around on your own. As for where to exchange money, go to beginning of this thread and read what CTCruiser has brilliantly detailed by blazing the trail on 5/1st. There's great photos too ...

Sorry if this has been answered. I read through the thread and didn't see it if it was. What time did the ship depart on the second day in Havana? I am booked on the Sky for the July 10th sailing and my itinerary states it departs at noon on Wednesday. What time did you have to be back on board and when did it leave? Thanks!

Sorry if this has been answered. I read through the thread and didn't see it if it was. What time did the ship depart on the second day in Havana? I am booked on the Sky for the July 10th sailing and my itinerary states it departs at noon on Wednesday. What time did you have to be back on board and when did it leave? Thanks!

The ship was scheduled to leave at 5 pm. All aboard was 4:30 pm. We actually left about 5:20 pm.

For your sailing, go by the schedule shown when doing your planning.

Happy sailing!

This happens more than people might realize. A few years back we sailed the Dawn from Boston and were late embarking due to that two people died on the previous sailing...A older woman and a younger adult male.

Thank you CTCruiser001 for your excellent review! It gave me a very good idea of what to expect -- I am on the May 22 sailing.

- Mike :-)

You're welcome! Happy sailing!

My sister and I will be doing this cruise on the 6th of November. Loving what you are sharing. Could you pass on who you are using for your private tour?

Google "Havana Tours by Blexie' and you should be able to find his email address. Blexie was very helpful in getting us set up with Roly and Hector for the day tour. It cost $130 CUC and was well worth it!

Were you able to get off the ship in time for your private tour? You had mentioned that the NCL tours had preference in leaving the ship. I wondered if Cuba was a good destination for ship's tours because of this. Really enjoyed your review - thank you!

Were you able to get off the ship in time for your private tour? You had mentioned that the NCL tours had preference in leaving the ship. I wondered if Cuba was a good destination for ship's tours because of this. Really enjoyed your review - thank you!

Yes, we were off the ship at 9:15 am and through customs, security, and money exchange by 10 am.

Some of the cruises depart at noon. I "think" it's because there are only two berths and another ship is scheduled at 1 PM on Wednesday.

WE are booked with Blexie and they will wait for you, they know the drill.

It also seems that the more cruises there are, the better the Cuban's will be at handling the crowds. Early reviews already show improvement in crowd movement.

Some of the cruises depart at noon. I "think" it's because there are only two berths and another ship is scheduled at 1 PM on Wednesday.

WE are booked with Blexie and they will wait for you, they know the drill.

It also seems that the more cruises there are, the better the Cuban's will be at handling the crowds. Early reviews already show improvement in crowd movement.

FYI .. 5/29th sailing to Cuba has to be on board Weds. at 3:00 pm (if memory is correct) and ship leaves at 5:00 pm. At least per itinerary.

The RC Empress docks at 1 PM on Jul 12, Jul 26, Aug 9th.

The NCL Sky departs at NOON on those days. I think they use the same berth.

So the SKY cruise on Jul 10, Jul 24, Aug 7th are shorter stays in Havana.

Edited by darienill

CTCruiser

Two quick questions. Were you able to use restaurant bathrooms without a purchase or are there public bathrooms in the Havana area?

Also would you be able to see the cannon demonstration at 9:00 pm from the ship? Thanks for your review.

I have read mixed review on the cruise critic site in other post about US cash can or can't be used. We don't sail until April of 2018 will be interested to see if the credit card or cash use will change some by that time. Thanks