Sojourn Post-Drydock

perlgirlnj

I believe most of the crew will remain for the upcoming holiday cruise. Certainly Tim Roberts will remain as Master and Ross Roberts as CD. Jason Gelineau remains as Hotel director. Our first time with all these gentlemen but the ship seems to be heading in the right general direction, there was only one controversial answer in the quiz and we haven't run out of toilet paper so you'd have to say they have passed muster thus far :)

I will answer the 3rd person question in a separate thread as I think it warrants it.

Henry :)

Thanks Henry. I've been hearing very positive things about Sojourn recently, so this is good news.

Look forward to reading about the 3rd person issue when you have time to start the thread.

—Henry posted about USB ports being new. That’s a plus BUT if you have things that require an American outlet, consider bringing a small power strip and/or a plug adapter. There is ONE US outlet in the room, on the vanity, plus the razor one in the bathroom. The outlet bedside (only one bedside outlet) is European, a problem for a cpap machine. IT helped but it took a long time and made for an unrelaxed evening as we tried to get that sorted out. I also requested a plug adapter to use in the bar cabinet so I could utilize it too. There is a limited number of those so bring your own or get to Seabourn Square early.

Unless they removed it during dry dock for some reason (I can't imagine they would), there is another outlet on the outside of the cabinet where the TV is located. Look close to the ground on the side of the cabinet facing the table. We've used it on Sojourn and Quest but unless you slide the chair closest to the cabinet out of the way for some reason, you might not notice it.

The multi nation triple outlet to the left of the TV unit low down is still there. In fact ours is hanging out of the wall so must get it sorted tomorrow :)

Food in the main dining room has been excellent thus far, shame the same can't be said of the head chef in the Colonnade who treated me like a piece of dog dirt when I asked about the pasta he was cooking today at lunch. He grunted, turned away and gesticulated to a chef in the kitchen towards me with the back of his thumb. Possibly the worst staff interaction I have ever had on Seabourn. If heating up pasta is too much for you then get someone else to do it. If you aren't a people person then sod off and run a kebab van somewhere :(

I walked away rather than have a confrontation and had a lovely Ceaser salad made by a cheerful young lady at the salad counter.

The new cast opened their account with the Tim Rice show. Superb in every respect. An extra number thrown in compared to Encore I think. Loved the dancers and the choreography. Vocals tighter than a drum. Looking forward more offerings.

I hope my inquirey doesn’t damage my ability to avail myself of the varied and interesting guests on Sojourn sailing to the Caribbean on dec 21. I occasionally enjoy a fine Cuban cigar and was wondering if there might have been any serious cigar smokers discovered in their allocated space doing the same. If there are no others partaking I would not want to be the only one on board and would likely refrain during the cruise...here’s hoping there are a few of us disgusting poor habit people that can form a group that can find some small pleasure without negatively impacting any others ....any input would be appreciated

Perdr

On the last holiday cruise there were a number of cigar smokers who used to hang out on the open area astern of Seabourn Square.

Smoking on board is definitely on the decline and as you realise limited to designated areas. I have no problem with folks using those spaces, the rest of the ship is smoke free so I pretty much have the run of the ship :)

The gym port side aft on deck 9 has benefitted from all new equipment during the dry dock. Rowing machine, arm grinder (like the winch they have on ocean racing yachts, recumbent cycle trainer, a pair of normal cycle trainers, cross trainers and running machines.

There are also free weights and some weight machines, forgive me not knowing the specifics.

The gym Starboard side aft is still a studio layout with the kenisis weight / resistance machines.

The only thing I miss is a fan to keep cool whilst on the cycle trainer and head room is a bit restricted above one of the cross trainers.

The gym port side aft on deck 9 has benefitted from all new equipment during the dry dock. Rowing machine, arm grinder (like the winch they have on ocean racing yachts, recumbent cycle trainer, a pair of normal cycle trainers, cross trainers and running machines.

There are also free weights and some weight machines, forgive me not knowing the specifics.

The gym Starboard side aft is still a studio layout with the kenisis weight / resistance machines.

The only thing I miss is a fan to keep cool whilst on the cycle trainer and head room is a bit restricted above one of the cross trainers.

Henry - would it be possible to post any pictures of the new gym equipment? Is the new equipment still made by TechnoGym?

Thanks

Greetings from Magen’s bay beach which is lovely. A lot of people but we’re down at the far end and it doesn’t feel crowded. We’re here on our own although we did share a ride with others from the ship. After two very nice sea days, it’s nice to feel land!

Thanks for the heads up about the additional plug. Never would have seen that!

We ate our first dinner at the Colonnade and were underwhelmed. Since then, we’ve dined at The Restaurant and have been very pleased. We’ve even had two breakfasts at The Restaurant and liked that a lot. One breakfast at the Colonnade at which there was a table for 3 from the UK behind us, with a very lovely, poised young lady as the third—possibly my fellow poster? I didn’t want to intrude/stalk to ask if it was Able Seaman. If we do meet, btw, my name is Amy.

We’ve met some lovely people from all over. A very nice crowd. There were 52 or so people at Chanukah services the first night, down to 30 or so last night.

I see more and more Christmas decor-beautiful —including a couple of cabin doors.

We haven’t been to the production shows but have enjoyed the music in the smaller venues.

That’s all for now!

Edited by perlgirlnj

Come over and say hello don't be shy we don't bite :)

Emily is the 17 year old not the 6 year old - although she acts it sometimes ;)

We also went down to the far left (as you look out to sea) end of Magan's bay and had a lovely time chilling out under the shade of the mangrove bushes. A bit of a swim to burn off lunch.

You must see the shows, last nights was superb, The tribute to Sir Tim Rice. Singers are really tight and and the dancers were the best we've seen on account of some excellent choreography. More lyrical contemporary with flashes of ballroom Latin American.

Yes I will photograph the gym equipment, it's on my list of things to do....

That's great news about the gym. The Encore has a much upgraded gym which is nice. The gym on the Odyssey class ships was one of its weaker areas.

Now that some new cardio equipment is on the port side, maybe additional resistance / weight machines were added starboard?

Look forward to pics.

No, you can't use SPD cleats, they have toe in straps which accommodate normal shoes.

I have been able to cycle with an information screen showing heart rate, instantaneous power output in watts, cadence, time elapsed and distance covered. There are lots of other options including set ride profiles.

I know what I produce power wise during different severities of ride so can moderate accordingly. Whilst not as good as my Turbo trainer set up at home which features Zwift, a large screen, a direct drive smart trainer and a massive fan it is good enough to stave off the worst of the cruise and allow the odd indulgence or 3 :)

Yes I will photograph the gym equipment, it's on my list of things to do....

Thanks for the info on the gym. If you have a chance please take a pic of the gym class schedule as well. I am interested to know if there are still the kinesis, total body conditioning, and stretch classes in the afternoons (usually between 17:00-18:00).

I'm wondering if the gym classes have been affected, since the wellness program by Dr. Andrew Weil has just been rolled out post-dry dock on the Sojourn (or is there a delay?). When the Odyssey rolled out his program, new classes (mostly paid) were introduced, and some of the old classes (complimentary) were taken away. Not good. (The new classes were mindful meditation, chanting bells, etc. taking me back to Esalen & Harbin Hot Springs once upon a time...)

I sent a representative to the first class held 7.00am "Ab Attack" and also the later 4.00pm class "Triology".

Feedback was mediocre. It felt as though it was being made up on the fly and there wasn't much structure or backing music. I think the idea is you come away a burning desire to drop $250 on 3 personal training sessions.

My under cover agents haven't been to a class since. I will investigate further.

MORE IMPORTANT NEWS.............

The TK Grill is now officially open with soft opening tonight. It looks great, I will photograph it when empty but a great looking space, my first thoughts were of a Pullman railway carriage crossed with a posh American diner.

We're giving it a few days to settle down and trying it out Tuesday night but it is open and will be for the holiday cruise Dec 21st.

Morning Henry, good to read about TK Grill. I agree with your description, it's a gorgeous space and hard to remember what R2 actually looked like in that space! Would you be able to find out who is Maitre d' in the Grill? Bruno was superb on Quest last year. Crab cakes and roast chicken for two were my favourites on the menu. Not sure if they still feature but I'm sure whatever there is will be good!

Counting the days now, flying out soon.

By any chance do any of you currently on board know if Eszter is back on Sojourn post-dry dock? She was working in the Colonnade this summer and quickly became our favorite crew member!

Zelker, she was mine as well! Such a beautiful smile. Loved her.

Queenie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also going to TK Grill Tuesday. See you there!

We’re at beach limerz in Antigua today. We have the beach to ourselves. WiFi only works at the bar/restaurant so we’re briefly plugged in.

Carambola beach barbecue was awesome yesterday. A little bit of a feeding frenzy as they had a hard time keeping up with the lobster demand but no one went away hungry, least of all us!

I’m enjoying seeing familiar faces around the ship. People are so friendly and in good moods! I did hear a few people who felt that the ship wasn’t ready to be out of dry dock but aside from our few hiccups the first day, we’ve been pleased. One couple I met said they had no shower head on the first day and water sprayed all over. There have been carpet dryers in deck 6; don’t know if it was about that.

Enjoy your pre-cruise anticipation, those if you getting ready.

Edited by perlgirlnj

Zelker, she was mine as well! Such a beautiful smile. Loved her.

Queenie

Hi, Queenie -

She IS adorable, isn't she!!!

I had tried to hook up with her on Facebook probably two months ago but never heard from her. Then I found her email address buried on my desk last night and emailed her and she replied this morning. :D She's been taking a work break since mid-October, and after spending the holidays with her family, will be heading to the Odyssey for a short contract. Then she heads back home for her best friend's wedding in April and then she doesn't know which ship she'll be going to after that. I told her that we were keeping our fingers crossed that she would be back on Sojourn in May when we board.

Barb

Morning Henry, good to read about TK Grill. I agree with your description, it's a gorgeous space and hard to remember what R2 actually looked like in that space! Would you be able to find out who is Maitre d' in the Grill? Bruno was superb on Quest last year. Crab cakes and roast chicken for two were my favourites on the menu. Not sure if they still feature but I'm sure whatever there is will be good!

Counting the days now, flying out soon.

Bruno was the Maitre D at TK on the Encore this summer ...Hoping t see some familiar faces on Sojourn in February...thanks for all the post dry dock update!

The club often comes in for a fair amount of criticism with people moaning there is a lack of atmosphere. On this cruise we have been treated to a couple of stand out evenings in there.

Friday night saw the 3 piece band headed up by Katy and they had the whole room in the palm of their hands. It would seem that when you combine 2 talented musicians with a gifted vocalist who also has charisma and a great repertoire the room comes alive. Rapturous applause rather than a polite ripple. Very much looking forward to seeing them in there again tonight.

Then last night the deck party was held in the club on account of a spot of rain. Wow. It would be unfair to single anyone out from the cast vocal talent but Dustin knocked Shout by the Isley brothers out of the park and assistant cruise director Ava pulled out a couple of blinders.

But the glue which held things together was cruise director Ross. He is not your typical Seabourn cruise director if such a thing exists. More energy than the Duracell Bunny and not afraid to put himself out there. When I looked around and saw the whole room bouncing to "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyes Peas during the band's rest break I knew he was going the extra mile and everyone responded.

In 7 Seabourn cruises I've not seen better in the club. The only thing which surprised me was not seeing Katy singing during the deck party but on reflection that might have been too much talent in one room :)

What a great report about The Club Henry! Sadly, we found The Club aboard the Encore to be somewhat dreadful--or should I say--not to our taste. It wasn't the ambience that bothered me, but the music! It was a small band that made very song sound just the same--and somewhat tinny at that. I am holding out high hopes for better music in The Club of the Ovation come June.

I have been enjoying your reports!