Sojourn Post-Drydock

perlgirlnj

But the glue which held things together was cruise director Ross. He is not your typical Seabourn cruise director if such a thing exists. More energy than the Duracell Bunny and not afraid to put himself out there. When I looked around and saw the whole room bouncing to "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyes Peas during the band's rest break I knew he was going the extra mile and everyone responded.

In 7 Seabourn cruises I've not seen better in the club.

I agree, Ross is not your typical SB CD. He's most energetic, gracious, and personable, a real asset and welcomed addition to SB (apparently he joined SB about a year ago, initially as an ACD). He has a great personality and sense of humour, and his campiness is fun, authentic and endearing.

(Now if only he'd suppress his urge to say "God Bless" at the end of his evening announcement post show at the Grand Salon. I understand it's a popular Northern English expression, and he does it on auto-pilot, but not everyone is a believer or comes on board to go to church...)

Regarding The Club, last month on the Sojourn, that was the happening place pre- and post-dinner, while The Observation Bar tended to be quiet, at least on the nights that I went through there. It's interesting how every voyage is different, depending on the passenger demographics, itinerary, and entertainers.

I see that the Sojourn was in Nevis today which I believe is one of the first times a “larger” ship has stopped. I hope you all enjoyed the island. We are arriving there on Saturday and spending Christmas and New Years on Nevis. I’ll keep an eye out for Seabourn while we are there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I see that the Sojourn was in Nevis today which I believe is one of the first times a “larger” ship has stopped. I hope you all enjoyed the island. We are arriving there on Saturday and spending Christmas and New Years on Nevis. I’ll keep an eye out for Seabourn while we are there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sojourn will be in Nevis on 31 December. See you there :D

I think the equipment is all new as the ellipticals, bikes, and treadmills used to have silver trim around the TV screens and now it's all black. Also, the item in the fifth picture is a new piece of equipment replacing an item in which the pedals used to go side to side. This new item is a combo stepper and elliptical.

Thx again Henry, very much appreciate your taking the effort to send pics.

Certainly all the equipment in the port side gym is new.

Whilst it may not be your chosen equipment I think there's enough to keep you on the straight and narrow during your cruise :)

The only thing I would have liked to see would be fans in front of the machines, whilst doing a session on the bike I end up leaking like a sieve, whereas at home with a fan blowing air on me I can survive 100 km without covering the floor in sweat.

Henry :)

Yes easily dealt with in practical terms, but a fan would stop me leaking in the first place :)

On a related issue - because I must now hit the gym, we ate in the Thomas Keller Grill last night and considering it is in soft opening phase had a superb meal. Clam chowder, prawn cocktail, asparagus and fish cakes ordered as starters, Ribeye, dover sole and lobster as mains. I weakened and ordered the chocolate cake for desert. Every mouthful was a delight and we left very happy campers indeed.

The restaurant was very busy as they are trying to ensure everyone gets to experience it despite only having 6 operational days. A very different feeling to restaurant 2 which we actually didn't bother to visit on our previous Sojourn trips.

It's been a great cruise. Food has been very good, Observation bar pre-dinner excellent and I've explored the cocktail menu for the first time. Entertainment has provided some stand out evenings, the ports of call have all delivered despite concerns a few weeks ago on here.

If I was being critical there have been a couple of small glitches with service in the restaurants but we live in a real world and I actually wouldn't change the people who have looked after us - we could have moved elsewhere in the dining room had we chosen.

The galley lunch is now back on the schedule and provided a chance to see behind the scenes as well as enjoy a spectacular buffet.

Our last cruise was on Encore and I worried that coming back to Sojourn it would feel like a poor relation. It doesn't. What it lacks in Sushi and a smaller TK Grill it makes up for in intimacy and a staff providing that warm, friendly "welcome home" service.

The final word must go to Ross our cruise director who has gone above and beyond with his truly unique style to bring everyone out of their shells and spread happiness. Like nothing we have come across before I was initially unsure but will be looking forward to the next 2weeks :)

I look forward to welcoming old friends aboard tomorrow. We will clean up and try to round up a few half bottles of booze still left over from our party :)

Henry, We sailed on the Encore a few months ago and are hesitant to sail on the smaller ships now. I'm so glad you have enjoyed the Sojourn--but could you tell us---did you miss any of the attributes of the Encore? (For example, I really loved the TK Grill BAR).

I agree, Ross is not your typical SB CD. He's most energetic, gracious, and personable, a real asset and welcomed addition to SB (apparently he joined SB about a year ago, initially as an ACD). He has a great personality and sense of humour, and his campiness is fun, authentic and endearing.

(Now if only he'd suppress his urge to say "God Bless" at the end of his evening announcement post show at the Grand Salon. I understand it's a popular Northern English expression, and he does it on auto-pilot, but not everyone is a believer or comes on board to go to church...)

Regarding The Club, last month on the Sojourn, that was the happening place pre- and post-dinner, while The Observation Bar tended to be quiet, at least on the nights that I went through there. It's interesting how every voyage is different, depending on the passenger demographics, itinerary, and entertainers.

Ross was fantastic on our Alaska seabourn cruise this year. A real breath of fresh air. Agree entirely!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seabourn discontinued "true" WCs after the 2014 Sojourn WC. They now have Extended Explorations - similar to a WC but without the benefits (generous shipboard credit - $5,000 in 2014; free laundry, free first/business class airfare, complimentary luggage shipment from home to ship & return, exclusive WC cruise events - 3 in 2014, and pre cruise hotel and gala dinner - Beverly Wilshire in LA along with Melissa Manchester as guest entertainer, etc.

Henry,

Is there any way you can find out if the same team (Captain, Hotel Director, Cruise Director) is staying on for the world cruise, or if there are changes on January 4?

Thanks!

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know Ross is leaving the ship when we return to Miami, you will be looked after by Sophie, so no worries there :)

Not sure of the others although I think there may be a reasonable crew change on Jan 4th.

Wrap up from OP here:

We thoroughly enjoyed this cruise. We did hear others complain about this and that, but for us, once we were finally on board, we were quite pleased. We had a family emergency on our last port day of San Juan, which was followed by two sea days. Bad timing to be out of pocket. It kind of undid all the great de-stressing that Seabourn had done for us. But all in all, great cruise, great food, service, people, etc. never did meet Henry though I met Mrs Henry doing laundry on our last day. By that time, I was pretty distracted and really needed to get home. Loved our seabourn experience!