Disney Market Place

Grumpy8

In March our ship stops in Port Canaveral. would like to go to Disney Marketplace. Was thinking of renting a car while in port. Anyone out there tried to do this? Is it hard to get a car to rent? Any help in this idea would be appreciated.:)

Sounds like a plan. There are rental company’s close to the port in Cocoa Beach but check on the time they close at night.. The trip will take you about an hour and fifteen to an hour and a half. Leave plenty of time to get back, return rental, and I-4 which can be a mess at anytime of the day. I have been on I-4 many times and sat in traffic in the Orlando area many times. The marketplace is now called Disney Springs. Had a complete makeover. It’s our favorite place to go whenever we are in the Orlando area.

There is no need to get on I-4 when driving from the port to Disney Springs, just take the 417 Greenway from the 528 Beachline and avoid the I-4 mess, especially now with all the construction. Yes there is a toll on 417 but in my opinion, it's worth it and since there is also a toll on the 528, not much difference in cost.

Personally, I would have more concern about something happening travel wise on the 528 Beachline, particularly when you are on your way back to the ship, since there are very few exits where you can get off and escape any backup.

JMHO

It is an easy trip out to Disney Springs and back! We often go there for dinner and a movie!

I agree with the advice to avoid I-4, etc. here is a route map - https://i2.wp.com/cruiseportcanaveral.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/RouteFromPC.jpg

RouteFromPC.jpg

All your favorite car rentals are within 4 miles of the port. You can also Uber . Here is a description of Disney springs for cruisers -

http://cruiseportcanaveral.us/disney-cruise-shore-trip/

It is an easy trip out to Disney Springs and back! We often go there for dinner and a movie!

I agree with the advice to avoid I-4, etc. here is a route map - https://i2.wp.com/cruiseportcanaveral.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/RouteFromPC.jpg

RouteFromPC.jpg

All your favorite car rentals are within 4 miles of the port. You can also Uber . Here is a description of Disney springs for cruisers -

http://cruiseportcanaveral.us/disney-cruise-shore-trip/

Do the rental car companies have a bus at the port to get to their car rental areas or would I need a taxi to get there?

You might want to do some checking before going the bus route. Used to be the bus from TTC to DTD was one way only. There were no buses from DTD, now the Springs, to the TTC, or any park for that matter. If that is still the case how would you get back to the RCCL bus to return to the ship? You would either need to take a taxi to the TTC or bus to a resort then a bus from the resort to the TTC. Time consuming at best.

The issue was people parking at DTD to avoid paying the parking fees and grabbing a bus to get to the parks, so Disney stopped the buses to the TTC from DTD.

Just sayin'

Do the rental car companies have a bus at the port to get to their car rental areas or would I need a taxi to get there?

All of the PC/Cocoa Beach car rental agencies will shuttle you to/from the port. A rental car will be a MUCH cheaper and faster way than using the bus option. We did Universal on a PC stop a few years ago. Drive from PC to Disney will take just over an hour each way.

you might want to do some checking before going the bus route. Used to be the bus from ttc to dtd was one way only. There were no buses from dtd, now the springs, to the ttc, or any park for that matter. If that is still the case how would you get back to the rccl bus to return to the ship? You would either need to take a taxi to the ttc or bus to a resort then a bus from the resort to the ttc. Time consuming at best.

The issue was people parking at dtd to avoid paying the parking fees and grabbing a bus to get to the parks, so disney stopped the buses to the ttc from dtd.

Just sayin'

ttc=?

Dtd=?

All of the PC/Cocoa Beach car rental agencies will shuttle you to/from the port. A rental car will be a MUCH cheaper and faster way than using the bus option. We did Universal on a PC stop a few years ago. Drive from PC to Disney will take just over an hour each way.

Do you recommend which car rental to use? I do use Alamo a lot..:cool:

• 10 months later...

If you do rent, see how much they charge for toll road "fast lane" access.  For one day, it may not be worth it, but check.  I rented from Sixt for 5 days and got the toll access because it seemed like every road I wanted to travel on had tolls.  Ask one of the "locals" on here - do the toll gates require exact coin change?  I didn't see any manned booths.

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

If you do rent, see how much they charge for toll road "fast lane" access.  For one day, it may not be worth it, but check.  I rented from Sixt for 5 days and got the toll access because it seemed like every road I wanted to travel on had tolls.  Ask one of the "locals" on here - do the toll gates require exact coin change?  I didn't see any manned booths.

I take 528 from I-95 to get to WDW. Then 528 to 417. You will have to watch for the signs for Disney Springs. I want to say it is exit 6, but I could be wrong. I know that exit 3 is the Magic Kingdom resort and park area. All of the toll booths on 528 and 417 have a SunPass lane, an exact change (coin only) lane and a couple of attended lanes for receipts and change. None of the exits will be Sunpass only, but may require exact change. By that I mean they are not attended.  I would make sure to have quarters as all the exits which require exact change are multiples of $.25. 

As for parking at Disney Springs, there are two very new and nice parking garages  (Lime and Orange) and one surface lot. The Orange garage is the more centrally located of the two and I would recommend that you park there.