Empress - A Royal farewell

Embarkation was smooth Used Jiffy Jeff Transportation from FLL to Port of Miami. Great service. Bar service is very good at the pool bar. Muster was much faster than the past few cruises.

Aggressive sales for everything.

Didn't have the prepaid beverage sticker. Quickly resolved at CS.

So far very good [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Day two was a day at sea. Brunch was good. Free Mimosa's and Bloody Mary's.

Have the beverage pkg. so it didn't mean anything [emoji41]

Plenty of space at the pool. Bar service was very good.

Can you elaborate on the Brunch. I don't recall many (if any) special brunches with alcohol on RCCL. I know there is a nice brunch on Celebrity. Is that an Empress thing or something because the ship is moving?

Thanks M

Freddy - did you happen to get off and on the ship more than once?

Someone posted on our June roll call that the Visa is good only once.

Makes no sense to me - that defeats the purpose of an overnight.

If not, perhaps someone going on a future overnight or someone else who was on your sailing will comment.

First off, thanks for posting your review! DH and I, along with 4 other couples, are anxiously awaiting the fall, 2018 itineraries for Cuba on the Empress! We have never been on that class of RCI ship, so my question is are the only balconies in the Jr Suite and above categories? All others are either insides or windows, correct? Which side of ship to see the ports (land)? Just trying to scope out the "perfect" location for our group!:cool: Thanks again for your insight!!;) CHEERS!:*

Freddy - did you happen to get off and on the ship more than once?

Someone posted on our June roll call that the Visa is good only once.

Makes no sense to me - that defeats the purpose of an overnight.

If not, perhaps someone going on a future overnight or someone else who was on your sailing will comment.

Are you sure the visa was not possibly for a single entry into the country by ship or plane? You are in the country when the ship is cleared. I don't think it matters which side of the gangway you are on or how many times you cross it.

Can you elaborate on the Brunch. I don't recall many (if any) special brunches with alcohol on RCCL. I know there is a nice brunch on Celebrity. Is that an Empress thing or something because the ship is moving?

Thanks M

On days at sea they do a brunch in place of lunch in the MDR. Very well done. Brunchy stuff.

First off, thanks for posting your review! DH and I, along with 4 other couples, are anxiously awaiting the fall, 2018 itineraries for Cuba on the Empress! We have never been on that class of RCI ship, so my question is are the only balconies in the Jr Suite and above categories? All others are either insides or windows, correct? Which side of ship to see the ports (land)? Just trying to scope out the "perfect" location for our group!:cool: Thanks again for your insight!!;) CHEERS!:*

Our cruise is the last one to not visit Cuba although we did pass close enough to get great views. Met a gentleman who is on a b2b and visited Cuba last week. He loved it. We get off Friday in Miami and the Empress sails empty to Tampa to do the Cuba run.

We have a Jr. suite on the starboard side. There are only 60 Junior Suites, all on deck 9. We are in 9646 near the aft elevators. Easy transit to the pool and MDR.

Are you sure the visa was not possibly for a single entry into the country by ship or plane? You are in the country when the ship is cleared. I don't think it matters which side of the gangway you are on or how many times you cross it.

It was mentioned from someone who went on the Cuba Inaugural - sorry, I thought Freddy was on that one too.

It has since been clarified by another guest. Upon arrival, you go through customs, they take the Visa and photograph it. Then you are in the data base, you can come and go from the ship. They evidently do check each time, but if you are in the system, you are OK.

I guess it is considered a "single entry", yes, probably as long as the ship is there.

They probably close us all out as we sail away into the sunset, so they can collect another $75 should we ever return.

Many posts have stated that Empress is understaffed. No evidence of that on this cruise. Staff is VERY polite and outgoing. Had breakfast in the MDR this morning. Food was very good and service was EXCELLENT.

Yes you can wear shorts and a polo to dinner even in Chop's.

Thanks for your answers FF! Also, is there a D lounge on Empress, a nightly D event, or a "drinks" allotment added to the sea pass? This will help us to decide whether or not to pre-purchase a package or not!:rolleyes: Thanks again for taking time out from your cruise to help us all out!!;)