Radiance cruise cancelled last minute

Pity there wasn’t any opportunity to offer a room to anyone caught.

I know I pay significantly less for a cruise per night, than a hotel in Sydney and dinner without thinking about breakfast, lunch and entertainment.

Not sure you're comparing apples with apples.

The price for the equivalent cruise in the next season has just been released. The cheapest twin share price on Radiance is $1,859/person, for 11 nights. For the cabin, that's $340/night. Given that's the most budget option, it should be compared with similar budget accomm, which is very easy to get for under $340/night in Sydney. I'd put dinner as about $50 (though you can get for $10-15 for a food court sort of meal). Even at $100 for 2, that's $240 left for the room which is quite achievable in non-city centre places e.g. potts point, north syd, parra, Hurstville and so on.

If you want a balcony i.e. a view, that's more comparable to a city location i.e, having a view, and the cheapest option is $2,819/person, so $512/night. Again, very easy to get city accommodation for under $412 after dinner.

Sure, you do get the extras you mentioned included in that, but again if you compare like with like e.g. getting a city room for about $250/night instead, you can certainly cover meals and extras in the difference.

Yes, but it's your choice where your replacement cruise will be. If you don't want to fly back to AU then don't. Paying the change fee is industry standard. They don't offer to fly you wherever in the world you feel like.

No one is saying they should fly you wherever you want. With such a last minute cancellation, which is their fault (mechanical) airfare should be reimbursed.

No one is saying they should fly you wherever you want. With such a last minute cancellation, which is their fault (mechanical) airfare should be reimbursed.

Why should it be reimbursed? You didn’t use them for the air you booked it yourself and you get to use the credit.

Why should it be reimbursed? You didn’t use them for the air you booked it yourself and you get to use the credit.

What good is airfare that has to be used within a year to someone who doesn't fly but once every 4-5 years? It should be reimbursed because the only reason it is going unused it due to RCI's mechanical malfunction. If that didn't happen, then the flights would be used. If you don't agree with this, then that is your opinion to think that a company can cost someone thousands and thousands of dollars due to their lack of appropriate maintenance, or neglect.

What good is airfare that has to be used within a year to someone who doesn't fly but once every 4-5 years? It should be reimbursed because the only reason it is going unused it due to RCI's mechanical malfunction. If that didn't happen, then the flights would be used. If you don't agree with this, then that is your opinion to think that a company can cost someone thousands and thousands of dollars due to their lack of appropriate maintenance, or neglect.

I'm caught up in this as well, but I don't agree with you about the airfare. Mechanical things break, not always due to a lack of maintenance or neglect. That's a billion dollar asset. I'm sure the last thing they wanted was to eat all of the costs associated with this mess as well as the bad PR.

Will the refund and FCC make it all better? No. Was it the right thing for them to do? Yes. Should they have done more? In my opinion, no.

You had a choice where and how to book your airfare, which obviously was not through RC and non-refundable. You chose to not purchase trip insurance - so you essentially self-insured your trip. Actions, or lack thereof, have consequences. Your history indicates enough cruises for you to make an informed choice. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out in your favor this time - but that was spurred by your choice.

It's unreasonable to expect them to have done more.

I'm caught up in this as well, but I don't agree with you about the airfare. Mechanical things break, not always due to a lack of maintenance or neglect. That's a billion dollar asset. I'm sure the last thing they wanted was to eat all of the costs associated with this mess as well as the bad PR.

Will the refund and FCC make it all better? No. Was it the right thing for them to do? Yes. Should they have done more? In my opinion, no.

You had a choice where and how to book your airfare, which obviously was not through RC and non-refundable. You chose to not purchase trip insurance - so you essentially self-insured your trip. Actions, or lack thereof, have consequences. Your history indicates enough cruises for you to make an informed choice. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out in your favor this time - but that was spurred by your choice.

It's unreasonable to expect them to have done more.

Ok.. you are not caught up, because you assumed I was on this cruise. I was not. I always have travel insurance... however one should not have to insure due to mechanical failure. I am not trying to change your opinion, and I will not change mine... the airfare should be reimbursed due to RCI not being able to provide passage, and the airfare was bought with the contingency that the ship would sail.

No matter how much of a cheerleader you may be.... Mechanical is the fault of the owner.

Ok.. you are not caught up, because you assumed I was on this cruise. I was not. I always have travel insurance... however one should not have to insure due to mechanical failure. I am not trying to change your opinion, and I will not change mine... the airfare should be reimbursed due to RCI not being able to provide passage, and the airfare was bought with the contingency that the ship would sail.

No matter how much of a cheerleader you may be.... Mechanical is the fault of the owner.

Actually, by caught up I meant that I was booked on this cancelled cruise and, as well as losing a long planned maybe once in a lifetime trip halfway around the world, got a bit pinched in the wallet as well.

I guess I assumed that you were too and had a dog in this hunt. No, you aren't insuring against mechanical failure - you are insuring against trip cancellation. Mechanical failure just happened to be the cause.

Believe me, I'm not a cheerleader. Just an adult that believes in taking personal responsibility.

Actually, by caught up I meant that I was booked on this cancelled cruise and, as well as losing a long planned maybe once in a lifetime trip halfway around the world, got a bit pinched in the wallet as well.

I guess I assumed that you were too and had a dog in this hunt. No, you aren't insuring against mechanical failure - you are insuring against trip cancellation. Mechanical failure just happened to be the cause.

Believe me, I'm not a cheerleader. Just an adult that believes in taking personal responsibility.

I am truly sorry that you lost this cruise. :(

Mechanical is the fault of the owner.

That may be true but there's a norm on the compensation in these cases - what RCI offered is the norm, You and probably lots of lawyers may think differently, but that's just the way it is.

That may be true but there's a norm on the compensation in these cases - what RCI offered is the norm, You and probably lots of lawyers may think differently, but that's just the way it is.

Exactly. I do not know of any industry that will refund expenses not paid to it, in cases where services cannot be performed. After all will an air carrier reimburse you for a cruise you missed due to a mechanical failure of one of their aircraft? No they will not. They will, at most, refund the amount you paid for your ticket. Most contracts carry the explicit language that limit refunds to the amount paid.

In the case of the cruise line they are refunding the amounts paid for the cruise, giving an FCC on top of that for inconvenience. They are also refunding the airline tickets that were purchased through them. As such they are doing pretty well in meeting both their legal and ethical obligations.

This is disgraceful. What on earth are Royal expecting guests from anywhere outside of Australia to do? OP - I really feel terrible for you in this situation.

And Royal did this on purpose? REALLY?

Things happen. Things break. Trust me, Royal does NOT want to give everyone their money back. And Royal does not want to give everyone a 100% FCC.

IT HAPPENED. Ever have a car break down. Was it YOUR fault?

For those who are on B2B2B.. cruises, they could offer cash instead of the FCC to offset the cost of finding other accommodations in Sydney.

What do you think a 100% refund is?

Or do you want Royal to hand everyone a wad of actual bills?

All well and good, but consider the refunds from Royal can take several weeks. People will still be out of pocket while here in Australia if they're waiting for their refund or travel insurance.

\Are they going to be paying all cash? They do take credit cards in Australia.

100% refund

Plus 100%* future cruise credit.

Should cover a bit of the time in Australia.

* Note: "100%" does not mean 100% as commonly understood and is just a designation used by RCL for the purpose of promoting their issuance of FCCs...

I am sorry about your trip falling through like this. I am also impressed with your attitude. well handled.

Exactly. I do not know of any industry that will refund expenses not paid to it, in cases where services cannot be performed. After all will an air carrier reimburse you for a cruise you missed due to a mechanical failure of one of their aircraft? No they will not. They will, at most, refund the amount you paid for your ticket. Most contracts carry the explicit language that limit refunds to the amount paid.

In the case of the cruise line they are refunding the amounts paid for the cruise, giving an FCC on top of that for inconvenience. They are also refunding the airline tickets that were purchased through them. As such they are doing pretty well in meeting both their legal and ethical obligations.

Well said