FBI Investigating Dead Newborn Found on Carnival Cruise Ship

LauraS

OK didn't know she was pregnant...I had a girl work for me who didn't know she was pregnat-everyone around her knew, but she didn't. (she only had sex once with her cousin and thought cousins couldn't get you pregnant:eek:) Just another reinforcement that parents need to talk with their children about sex, even if they do become embarressed about the talk. It would be so much better than a dead child.

Just read this on MSNBC. How did she cut the umbilical cord? If an actual crime took place in the middle of the ocean, do the laws of the ship's registry apply? Can any "Legal Eagles" shed some light?

OK didn't know she was pregnant...I had a girl work for me who didn't know she was pregnat-everyone around her knew, but she didn't. (she only had sex once with her cousin and thought cousins couldn't get you pregnant:eek:) Just another reinforcement that parents need to talk with their children about sex, even if they do become embarressed about the talk. It would be so much better than a dead child.

This story is incredibly sad :(

Your comment intrigued me. Are you insinuating that when a woman doesn't know she is pregnant, it's because she was never got "the talk" :confused: I'm in my twenties, as are most of my friends, I can assure you that women know what it takes to make a baby at this age (unless, of course, there are some mental disabilities-which could have been the case here) whether we've been talked to or not. I also work with teens who know more about sex than some adults- it's the society we live in.

I hardly think this is a case of not knowing about "the birds and the bees". Just my two cents

Theres actually a show on tv called "I did'nt know I was Pregnant" so I'm sure its possible not knowing, BUT........ they all at least try to get help when the pains or other odd symptoms start. According to the acount in the paper here in Fl. one of the room stewards found the dead newborn in the room and the mother was in port in St Maarten. Our friends just got off this cruise and she told me the cabin down from theirs (9th deck) was taped off but didnt know why, wonder if this was the same cabin.

The girl that worked for me what not retarted mentally in any way, but pure innocense. She really did not have a clue that she was pregnant and that it could happen by having sex with a relative. She thought she was missing her "monthlies" because she was getting fat. I used to teach. My kindergardeners knew more than this girl did. How can that happen? I have no idea. This was back in the 80's. But I still thought it odd.

If I hadn't had a friend with a good healthy relationship with her mother, and they took care of me alot while I was growing up, I don't think I would have known a thing about the "birds and the bees" either. My parents kept sex and sexuality in the closet-unspoken-period. So maybe that's what happened to this girl too. Maybe. You are right about the umbilical cord, someone else must have been involved, and I would have thought that the girl would have been in a lot of pain.

Again, we don't know the whole story.

I don't get it, how do you NOT know your pregnant? :cool:

And she left the baby in the cabin and went off the ship, like nothing ever happened?! :eek:

That's the part i don't get. You claim you don't know which i dont believe but ok i'll go with that but when the baby is falling from your crotch you cut the cord and stuff it under the bed. Why not call the ships doctor.

That's the part i don't get. You claim you don't know which i dont believe but ok i'll go with that but when the baby is falling from your crotch you cut the cord and stuff it under the bed. Why not call the ships doctor.

The only thing I can gather is that she's either A) very immature and in denial, B) was in shock, or C) we don't have the full story. Or some combination of the above.

Yes. I was going to say basically the same thing. If you didn't know you were pregnant while you were carrying the child, at some point during labor or when the head is crowning you are going to realize something is awry. Some babies don't start breathing or crying on their own, doesn't mean they can't be brought around. To stick the baby under the bed or in a closet like a pair of shoes you wanted to toss - this is monstrous.

I know it seems insane... I have five children- I mean, come on. But I saw this documentary once- it showed a few girls, including a very nice, seemingly intelligent girl from the UK with a nice family, understanding parents, and a nice BF. And she did not know she was pregnant until she had the baby. Looking back at pictures it was easy to see that she was PG, and yet the whole family bought into her DENIAL. And that's what it is- pure denial. And I have a whole lot of familiarity with denial. I have been unable to see things that were staring me in the proverbial face. I carried on with an extremely abusive relationship that to this day just boggles my mind- what was I thinking? People with lung cancer smoking, people with no money spending like crazy, people who have a spouse clearly cheating on them and who believe that everything is just fine. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic is my specialty!

Happy to say that in the example of the girl from the UK listed above (and as I recall she had the baby during a family trip to the Grand Canyon- surprise!) the baby did very well and the family rallied around to help the shocked mother and father.

Upshot: even though I can't believe it can happen- it does. So faced with this baby, she probably went into panic mode. Think about it.

If an actual crime took place in the middle of the ocean, do the laws of the ship's registry apply?

Yes. And this can be pretty obstructive to investigations, sometimes..............not saying it will be in this case, but.............

..Trin..

:eek:That article says the baby was born sometime between Miami .. I think they may mean either Port Canaveral or Nassau .. and St Thomas ...

That is a 4 day window.

Regardless That poor thing was under the bed for quite some time before being found.

That in my opinion is SICK and WRONG!

There is NO EXCUSE for that cruelty.

Ok sure she did not know she was preggers but Hello she could have at least called medical.

Perhaps she was just selfish and did not want her cruise ruined.

SICK SICK SICK

First and foremost this is a tragedy in any sense of the word. Two lives are forever affected adversely by this mess. We as readers cannot nor should judge what happened, as we do not have enough information. I am sure the infant was not hidden for long, as staterooms are cleaned on a daily basis and would have been discovered within a day. What we will never know is:

1. Did she know she was pregnant?

2. How about her cabin mates, what did they know?

3. Was she of sound mental state, prior to birth?

4. Was the infant born alive?

5. How did she board, being so pregnant? (Aren't there rules about this)

6. Having a baby is messy, the cleaning staff would have been alerted early on to something being amiss, right?

So, with all these and more questions, one should not judge right now.

So sad that a live was lost for whatever the reason.

Nancy

Well giving birth can be very traumatic and I imagine giving birth spontaneously, on your own and not knowing you were pregnant would be extremely traumatic. Could have been post partum depression or shock, I don't know. It in no way excuses it, because there is no excuse whatsoever for leaving that baby there, even if it was already deceased. Based upon some of the other accounts I have heard, I wonder (total speculation on my part) if it was an early spontaneous labor because of stillbirth.

As far as whether the MOther knew or did not know she was pregnant, its possible. When I was pregnant with DD, her movements were not that obvious to me and because I was overweight, I did not get that much bigger during my pregnancy. If I didn't know, it would have been possible for me to explain away all the symptoms (until the 38 week + misery set in that is!).

Anyway, its tragic and sad, but I wouldn't make assumptions about the Mother's intentions without hearing the entire story...

We don't know enough...don't judge! Put the newborn baby under the bed...it's too early, don't judge! She went ashore in St. Martin after putting her newborn dead baby under the bed...too early, don't judge! She did not know she was pregnant the delivery of the baby was a complete shock...to early, don't judge! After delivering this unexpected baby she did not seek out any medical attention...it's too early, don't judge. Check all your common sense at the door when entering this thread...because its too early, don't judge. Really?

We don't know enough...don't judge! Put the newborn baby under the bed...it's too early, don't judge! She went ashore in St. Martin after putting her newborn dead baby under the bed...too early, don't judge! She did not know she was pregnant the delivery of the baby was a complete shock...to early, don't judge! After delivering this unexpected baby she did not seek out any medical attention...it's too early, don't judge. Check all your common sense at the door when entering this thread...because its too early, don't judge. Really?

I don't think anyone's saying "don't judge", I think they're saying "don't act as judge, jury, and executioner."

Archived