Transportation airport to hotel.

For the first time, we have opted to use Regent for airline arrangements, which includes transportation from the airport to the hotel. Is this a car, van, bus? Do you wait at the airport for more people to fill the vehicle? LHR is the airport. Thanks for any info and first hand experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Based on about 15 years' experience(s) going back to pre-Regent Radisson days--

Approximately 2/3rs of our Regent cruises have involved airport to hotel transfers included in the cruise fare. This predated Regent's decision to limit such transfers to be part of a Concierge-level booking. The other third--we did our own air and transfers based on accumulated air miles and/or being met by relatives or friends.

In all but one such transfer--this was several years ago when arriving at Hong Kong in the wee hours of the morning--my spouse and I have shared a van or a minibus on the trip from airport to hotel. The point is--all these folks were on the SAME aircraft. Regent's contracted personnel met us once outside the restricted terminal area; checked us in on the Roster; assisted putting luggage on carts; and walked with the small group to nearby transportation. Again, that transportation was a van. And, always air conditioned when necessary. Pleasant experiences. First opportunity to meet our future cruisers.

Upon arrival at whatever hotel, Regent representatives were present to meet our group and facilitate check-in and movement of bags to rooms.

So, no issues. Personnel showed up as expected. BTW: On that Hong Kong arrival--a private limo. I asked about this. The Regent rep. explained that the two other couples who were expected to show up on our flight from USA--canceled that cruise. So, we were on our own. Well, stuff happens.

I am sure you will receive feedback from others who have not experienced positive interactions with Regent upon airport arrival. Well, again. Stuff does occur. Cannot speak for others.

Best.

GOARMY!

I'm not questioning GOARMY's experience but ours is a little different. On the 31 Regent cruises that we have done, the majority of the transportation has been with buses (more than one available if necessary). We have also had vans on a few occasions. Regent representatives know in advance how many passengers they will picking up and at what time and provide vehicles that will accommodate them.

One of the best bus transfers we had was from Heathrow. There was an accident on the main highway so the driver took us through the country and acted like a tour guide - pointing out various places.

GOARMY: The only negative experience we have had is since we have become Platinum. The "private car" that was suppose to pick us up, did not arrive. Rather than take a bus to the hotel, we took a taxi. It all worked out in the end!

My most recent experience with a Regent transfer was in Rome this past November. A group of reps met us at the airport and helped with luggage, etc. They were meeting two flights arriving around the same time. Once they'd gathered the group and everyone's luggage (which had us waiting at most 15 minutes after our own luggage had arrived), we were transported on a bus to the two downtown hotels that Regent was using.

Overall, it took maybe 30 minutes longer than a personal car would have. To me, not a big deal at all.

This question has me thinking. We are flying into LA from Heathrow, so have a 'forced' overnight stay in case of flight delays.

Now, I'm thinking that we may be the only ones on our flight, so will Regent still send a representative to meet us or just some form of transport and will they inform us in advance of what to do on arrival?

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks

This question has me thinking. We are flying into LA from Heathrow, so have a 'forced' overnight stay in case of flight delays.

Now, I'm thinking that we may be the only ones on our flight, so will Regent still send a representative to meet us or just some form of transport and will they inform us in advance of what to do on arrival?

We were the lone Regent passengers on our (very delayed because of Air France strike) flight into Barcelona a few weeks ago. Being our first time, we didn’t know exactly how it would work, but our driver was waiting outside of the luggage claim, Regent sign in hand, and took our luggage (and us) to his waiting vehicle. He gave us a great little private tour of Barcelona and then dropped us at the hotel. There was no Regent rep there that night, but the hotel staff took great care of us and got us to our room and settled in. The next morning there was a Regent rep in the lobby who gave us the information about our transport to the pier. It was all very easy and nicely handled!

In my experience, Sans, there has always been someone to meet us, regardless of whether we are the only ones on our flight or not. They are usually standing with a clear Regent sign with our names. Even when we've flown in several days ahead of time, having organised some independent travel arrangements, if we made the flight booking through Regent, then we have been greeted and transferred to our hotel.

Unfortunately, unless you are in a concierge suite or above, you only receive transportation from the airport to the ship. So, the questions are whether you are in a concierge or above suite and/or if things work the same in the U.K. as they do in North America

GOARMY: Correcting my previous post to say that the negative experience we had was since we became Titanium (not Platinum since you don't receive private transfers until you reach that level).

Assuming that Regent booked the “forced” overnight hotel then:

Yes, there should be someone with a “Regent” sign waiting for you as you exit Arrivals at LA.

The type of transport to your hotel will depend on how many Regent guests are arriving at LA around the same time as you.

If you are in any doubt about arrangements give your TA or Regent UK a call to clarify.

Edited by flossie009

Assuming that Regent booked the “forced” overnight hotel then:

Yes, there should be someone with a “Regent” sign waiting for you as you exit Arrivals at LA.

The type of transport to your hotel will depend on how many Regent guests are arriving at LA around the same time as you.

If you are in any doubt about arrangements give your TA or Regent UK a call to clarify.

Thank you. There was no option to fly into LA on embarkation day and our paperwork states forced overnight stay, so this info is helpful, but I will double check with our TA nearer the time.

TC, I am slowly learning that things work very differently for UK cruisers in some areas.

Thank you. There was no option to fly into LA on embarkation day and our paperwork states forced overnight stay, so this info is helpful, but I will double check with our TA nearer the time.

TC, I am slowly learning that things work very differently for UK cruisers in some areas.

I admire you for taking the time to do research. Since Regent is calling it a forced overnight stay, the odds are good that you will get transfers. Hope that you have a great cruise.