What to do in Nasaau with teens

We are taking our 18 and 14 year old niece and nephew on their first cruise next weekend. We haven't gotten off the boat in Nassau in a few years so are not really sure what to do with them. So I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with them where they will both have a good time. I don't really want to go to the beach since we will be in Coco Cay the next day and have the beach there. Thanks for all suggestions

Enchantment of the Seas - Hurricane Cruise - August 2014

Enchantment of the Seas - Nephews 8th grade graduation - May 2014

Enchantment of the Seas - Hubby's BDay Cruise - February 2014

Enchantment of the Seas - Anniversary Cruise - June 2013

Carnival Sensation - September 2012

Monarch of the Seas - Birthday Cruise - April 2012

Carnival Sensation - February 2011

Monarch of the Seas - July 2010

Sovereign of the Seas - Anniversary Cruise - June 2008

Mariner of the Seas - Honeymoon Cruise - June 2007

Carnival Fantasy - August 2006

Use Jitney busses for a low-dough tour. Walk to Queens Staircase/Fort Fincastle ($1 to get into Fort). Walk to Pirate Museum nearby to Port, few bucks entrance. Art museum close by is cheap.

Lots of cheap and free things to do in Nassau without going to the beach or spending another cruise payment to go to Atlantis for a few hours. Google Nassau Walking Tour to get the highlights of low cost, family friendly options.

We are taking our 18 and 14 year old niece and nephew on their first cruise next weekend. We haven't gotten off the boat in Nassau in a few years so are not really sure what to do with them. So I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with them where they will both have a good time. I don't really want to go to the beach since we will be in Coco Cay the next day and have the beach there. Thanks for all suggestions

Take a taxi to Cable Beach. Not many go there, as most of the ship just add to the congestion of Paradise Island. Cable Beach has plenty of space to spread out with facilities at hotels is you wish.

Do it this year as next year Cable will vanish under investors bulldozers (building more hotels etc).;)

Take a taxi to Cable Beach. Not many go there, as most of the ship just add to the congestion of Paradise Island. Cable Beach has plenty of space to spread out with facilities at hotels is you wish.

Do it this year as next year Cable will vanish under investors bulldozers (building more hotels etc).;)

Are you serious? No more private little side beach? We're talking about the beach just east of the major hotels? :( :( :( There really isn't much room between the road and that beach....surely there isn't enough room for a hotel?

To the OP, check the excursions that Royal offers. Last time we were in Nassau, we did a historical tour. It would have been too far for us to walk and it was good for the price. You get driven around in a air conditioned little bus with comfortable seating. They do stop and try to get you to buy at local shops (which was not stated in the description), but you don't have to buy anything. I'm sure since you've been to Nassau before, that you understand that part of the push-to-buy culture. The tour though could provide a nice history lesson!

There's the flea market (which is an experience in itself, both good and bad, lol) and there are restaurants with real local food just down past the market and past the little beach that is popular near the cruise ships.

Edited by kingsgirl

Are you serious? No more private little side beach? We're talking about the beach just east of the major hotels? :( :( :(

Yep! A large hotel chain is going to build a monster smack in the middle. Understand other brands, bars and restaurants will jump on the bandwagon. One is told it is called progress.:eek:

Check out Ardastra Gardens. We took the #10 bus which drops you off a block (a long block, be prepared to walk a bit). To get back, we didn't do the bus… they called a taxi for us because it was getting late and we were hot and tired and hungry. :)

Yep! A large hotel chain is going to build a monster smack in the middle. Understand other brands, bars and restaurants will jump on the bandwagon. One is told it is called progress.:eek:

I thought I remember there being houses up there though? I wonder if this means we'll never have access to that beach now?

I thought I remember there being houses up there though? I wonder if this means we'll never have access to that beach now?

Conversation

Hi there home owner, your property has a value of $250,000.00 - here's $500,000.00 will you move? A la Barbados and St.Kitts etc etc etc.

The market decides!

If there is still space available, my teens loved the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon (review and photos in Allure review linked in my signature) It wasnt cheap, but the boatride over was kind of fun, and the location is beautiful and the dolphins were really fun and interactive. Afterwards you can hang on the beach, but the tour usually runs late in the day, (from enchantment) so you'd have some time to do some other stuff in the AM around Nassau.

Have fun!

BTW- you don't all have to do the dolphins, you can just pay an observer fee for the use of the facilities and buy the "encounter" just for the kids, you can sit right there and watch and take photos!

Edited by Familygoboston

I was there about a month ago. Most of the construction is almost finished. It is scheduled to open in December. The place is massive and will include a major golf course, and a few hotels. The Melia (old Sheraton) will also be part of it. Here is a link.

http://www.bahamar.com/welcome-to-the-new-riviera/

I was there about a month ago. Most of the construction is almost finished. It is scheduled to open in December. The place is massive and will include a major golf course, and a few hotels. The Melia (old Sheraton) will also be part of it. Here is a link.

http://www.bahamar.com/welcome-to-the-new-riviera/

Thank you

I agree with doing the dolphin encounter at blue lagoon.

I booked directly and not through the cruiseship. I took my daughter when she graduated college and she had a blast I did pay for the entire dolphin encounter.

Yes, it was very expensive. But, it was totally worth it. In 2009 I paid $259 per person which included the foot push at the end of being in the water with the dolphins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No teenager wants to do a boring bus tour of the city. That's what old folks do. They want to have fun. Take them to the water park at Atlantis. Top notch entertainment.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

How do you know the kids won't enjoy cultural things like seeing the sites or walking to historical places or having the ability to sitesee and try new foods?

OP is from Florida. Plenty of awesome waterslide parks for way, way cheaper. $200+++ per person waterslide park open for a few hours doesn't sound like a great way to spend the day in Nassau to me unless you are too timid to learn about a foreign place or rich, or both.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, I live in Florida now but my niece and nephew are from New Orleans so the waterpark might be what we do and a tour of the island if they want

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, I live in Florida now but my niece and nephew are from New Orleans so the waterpark might be what we do and a tour of the island if they want

We loved the waterpark. Hopefully your ship is in port all day so you can take full advantage of it. It's cheaper to go on your own and book direct rather than through RCI. Take a taxi instead of the water taxi as its much quicker. You can also check out reserving a room at the comfort suites paradise island. The room includes full access to Atlantis and is cheaper than individual passes at Atlantis. Sometimes they have a 2 night minimum but often it is only one night required.

The other advantage to booking on your own is you will have a lot more time to spend at the park.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Sometimes the boat can't tender to Coco Cay.

Just because you're scheduled to go to Coco Cay doesn't mean you absolutely will. Ships do miss that stop at times because sea conditions make it too rough/dangerous to tender.

LuLu

The last time we were in Nassau we booked 1 night at the Comfort Inn and used the Atlantis passes. My teenage boys LOVED it, and it was affordable. They keep asking about when we can go back.

Another vote for Atlantis. Our kids were younger (13 & 7) but they both loved all the slides and "Un-lazy" river. We also did the dolphins which were amazing. True it was expensive but they still talk about it 4 years later.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, I live in Florida now but my niece and nephew are from New Orleans so the waterpark might be what we do and a tour of the island if they want.

A tour of the island might be a bit too "lame" for them BUT the waterpark is an excellent idea. :D

LuLu