Poor Choice in Purchasing Jewelry

There is a significant amount of human rights abuse in the industry.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6610019

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/02/AR2010070203990.html

I used to sell fine jewelry for a living. A 500% increase from the wholesale price to the retail price to customers was not uncommon on diamonds and other precious gems.

The perceived rarity of diamonds is a big part of why they are expensive. In reality, they are quite common.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I recently purchased a black pearl necklace while in French Polynesia from a manufacturing jeweler who is GIA certified in pearls. I had an insurance appraisal done by another GIA certified appraiser when I returned home, and before I gave him the purchase paperwork, he conservatively valued my necklace at 162% of what I paid for it, including the import duty.

Before I left I researched the potential vendors I wanted to look at, learned about pearls, and researched prices. I would not have spent that much money at one of the random pearl shops that are in the port area in Tahiti (there must be 100 of them). I had narrowed my potential shopping to three vendors, and if I hadn't found something I loved, I would have simply walked away.

Buying jewelry away from home is definitely a caveat emptor situation. If you don't know what you are buying and what you should pay for it, don't spend more than you are willing to lose.

There is a significant amount of human rights abuse in the industry.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6610019

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/02/AR2010070203990.html

I used to sell fine jewelry for a living. A 500% increase from the wholesale price to the retail price to customers was not uncommon on diamonds and other precious gems.

The perceived rarity of diamonds is a big part of why they are expensive. In reality, they are quite common.

As far as I'm concerned, the only diamonds which aren't conflict diamonds or other blood money diamonds are certified Canadian diamonds.

<snip>

Buying jewelry away from home is definitely a caveat emptor situation. If you don't know what you are buying and what you should pay for it, don't spend more than you are willing to lose.

Great advice. It really is like throwing the dice and hoping to win big. Keep in mind that these retailers are not marketing to locals - they are in business to sell goods to tourists only - tourists that are only in town for a few hours. What are they going to do once they leave the country and discover that it is less than they purchased?

Also keep in mind that some manufacturers, especially luxury goods manufacturers, refuse to allow their merchandise to be sold below a certain price. You should never be able to get the merchandise for an exceptional deal.

As far as I'm concerned, the only diamonds which aren't conflict diamonds or other blood money diamonds are certified Canadian diamonds.

How about Argyle diamonds from Australia. They are not conflict diamonds. Just wish I could afford them :)

It doesn't necessarily have to be a dealer in one of the ports for overpriced jewelry. I purchased a LeVian watch onboard ship, and when I got home found out that Jared's had the same watch for $700 less..ouch!! So it is wise to do homework before buying anything.

• 4 weeks later...

A few thoughts from someone who bought jewelry in the Caribbean in the early 90s (and got a good deal) but wouldn't tempt fate today.

First, today there really aren't many "bargains" in the Caribbean. Probably some but, if you don't know exactly what you're buying, not many.

Second, retailers know you're on a tight time schedule and many use that to their advantage in "pressuring" you to buy then & there -- something less likely to happen at home.

Third, your options should you be dissatisfied diminish greatly once you leave the store. Historically, passengers have had very little success going through the cruise lines in dealing with "recommended" stores. The consumer protection laws that help you in the U.S. may not apply to a non-US store (even if they have a US affiliate). And you're a LONG way from the store, saddled with a sales contract that 100% favors the store . . . options in getting your money back are limited and very expensive to execute.

Fourth, buy jewelry (or art or whatever) on a cruise because you love it, not because you're getting a "bargain." If you love your jewelry and are happy with what you paid for it, then leave it there -- accept that it may appraise for less than you paid -- or more -- you simply won't know at the moment you buy it. Just spend an amount that you can afford, so if it turns out you paid more than it's "worth," you aren't too disappointed. You love it; it brings back great memories of a great cruise . . . be happy with that.

Edited by ggo85

A few thoughts from someone who bought jewelry in the Caribbean in the early 90s (and got a good deal) but wouldn't tempt fate today.

First, today there really aren't many "bargains" in the Caribbean. Probably some but, if you don't know exactly what you're buying, not many.

Second, retailers know you're on a tight time schedule and many use that to their advantage in "pressuring" you to buy then & there -- something less likely to happen at home.

Third, your options should you be dissatisfied diminish greatly once you leave the store. Historically, passengers have had very little success going through the cruise lines in dealing with "recommended" stores. The consumer protection laws that help you in the U.S. may not apply to a non-US store (even if they have a US affiliate). And you're a LONG way from the store, saddled with a sales contract that 100% favors the store . . . options in getting your money back are limited and very expensive to execute.

Fourth, buy jewelry (or art or whatever) on a cruise because you love it, not because you're getting a "bargain." If you love your jewelry and are happy with what you paid for it, then leave it there -- accept that it may appraise for less than you paid -- or more -- you simply won't know at the moment you buy it. Just spend an amount that you can afford, so if it turns out you paid more than it's "worth," you aren't too disappointed. You love it; it brings back great memories of a great cruise . . . be happy with that.

EXCELLENT advice!! :)

This is exactly what I was going to say. I have an Emerald ring that I bought in the Caribbean ten years ago. Don't remember what I paid for it. Don't know what it is worth. Don't care. I love it and I wear it every day. It brings back fond memories of a lovely trip.

To the OP Newcruiser1600 - I'm very sorry for the distress that this has caused you - you spent your hard earned money only to find that you have over paid for the quality that you received. Never a good experience. If this has just happened and you charged the purchase - if you have all of the documentation and can show that they lied or purposely mislead you - you MAY be able to dispute the charge. Regardless this is a painful lesson learned. I'd be interested in the details if you care to share. No pressure.

There are good purchases to be made on a cruise - if you do your home work and know exactly what you are looking for and what you should be paying. I've gotten a Reverso Jaeger-LeCoultre watch, very expensive but I did my homework and saved money by my purchase. I also bought a canary yellow diamond ring but once again had done my homework.

My biggest advice is to buy yourself a jewelry loop like the jewelers use. Make sure you teach yourself how to use it (don't be looking through the wrong side) and the minute you pull it our of your purse - the sales people assume you are knowledgeable :D;)

Let this one go and enjoy your purchase - knowing that you're wiser now - and don't feel bad - this is happening to many, many others.

To the OP - you asked for advice, so I will try. The only recourse you might have is if the piece specified a particular carat weight and clarity that it was not. You would then be able to take some action. Otherwise, nothing anyone could do.

They just had a segment on the Today Show and mentioned EFFY by name - a big retailer in the caribbean. They are finally fessing up to that which I already knew - those rubies - aren't. They are 90% glass mixed with ruby. The rubies from Macy's, JC Penney and some other stores were also listed. All selling the same.

Fourth, buy jewelry (or art or whatever) on a cruise because you love it, not because you're getting a "bargain." If you love your jewelry and are happy with what you paid for it, then leave it there -- accept that it may appraise for less than you paid -- or more -- you simply won't know at the moment you buy it. Just spend an amount that you can afford, .....

Many many years ago when I was young and very stupid, I bought a gold chain and medallion because I liked them. I spent about $400 to $500.

Turns out they were actually gold as stated. They have been around my neck for decades, as I have not removed them more that a couple of times.

As gold, they have not tarnished, still look as good as when originally purchased. They could be worth $1,000 to $4,000. Do I care about the value? Not a bit. I liked them when I bought them, I still love them, and it is immaterial what they are worth today.

Of sure, I can help you here. Jewelry is usually an emotional purchase, so when someone isn't given the time to get past the emotion to use reason to measure their choice, emotion makes the choice. At home you can think about it for a few days. But the pressure of one port day motivates folks to satisfy their emotional urge. It's kind of fun to watch really.

I personally don't understand the humans emotional desires for diamonds, but I only have to watch Sally's eyes spin to see it. And you only have to look down the street at hundreds of jewelry stores in St. Thomas to know something is up. Strangely, I've noticed men on cruises have the same emotional desire for watches. I'm sure the same good deals can be found on the internet, but I guess when you put it on in the cool airconditioned store seperated by a stale hot humid tropical afternoon, patiences goes out the window. And hey, its a vacation, right. I don't wear a watch, but one of these days as I'm sipping on that free Red Stripe beer (aren't they so nice to notice my thirst), I may get that Rolex.

I disagree that a good deal can't be found on the cruise. I know diamonds pretty well and I have seen some good deals. But you need to know what you are looking at.

Sally and I have learned that we, "cough" "cough", will always make a few silly emotional purchases because of the rich exotic environement in that moment, so we just try not to spend so much that it hurts when the high of the moment fades away. A $500 ring doesn't hurt nears as much as a $5000 ring. And if you're look for something familiare like David Yurman, you won't go too far wrong.

And it's not just jewelry, we bought some expensive art work a couple years ago in Hawaii. We don't ever do that, but something came over us. Shesh, don't judge. Still, we have really enjoyed it though, so no regrets. As for that stupid Mexican hat, what was I thinking?

I'll bet some of you are surprised a strong mature man like me knows of the David Yurman line. Well, it saves time shopping every Christmas and I don't have to worry if it makes her hips look big. :D

Burt

Totally true on all counts. Never look back on a purchase you make on vacation. It called to you and your emotions begged you to buy it. If it turns out to be worth more or less, so be it.

Burt: if you want to expand your available shopping for Christmas, look at John Hardy. Similar items. I have some of both, love it all!!!

Hello.

I have cruised twice, but this is my first post. Has anyone purchased jewelry from a recommended store that appraised for much less when you got home with it? How did you resolve the problem? Thank you.

Don't fall into all the hype of buying. Do the home work.

On my second cruise back in the early 90's (before internet) I fell in love with a ring in SAt Thomas. Having no idea back then (due to lack of internet) of the miriad of jewelry shops there, I was not prepared financially to purchase the ring. I vowed that if I ever came back to St T I would hunt that place down and get a ring. Well it didn't take long because a year later we were in St T. I found the shop, found a ring almost identical to the original one I saw, haggled, dickered, almost left the place and ended up buying that ring. A few months after we got home I took the ring to my reputable jeweler and he appraised it at twice what I bought it for. It wouldn't matter because I was prepared either way. I wear the ring often and will never forget that transaction.

Just a couple years ago I bought a really nice emerald and diamond ring in Cartagena that was also appraised at more than I paid for it. I am a haggler and I think you have to be to buy in the islands.

I taught my son the art of haggling or bargaining for a vehicle he was buying a long time ago. I told him "just watch mama, and walk when I walk." Well, he almost crapped his pants when we got back in my car without a contract on the truck he wanted so bad. With the key in the ignition the salesman knocked on my window and said "We got a deal. Get out of your car." Son was happy and mama taught him how to do it. BUT you always have to be ready to walk. I told him "It's a truck, not a woman. You could have lived without it."

Moral of this ridiculously long story.....Don't pay the asking price.

Hello.

I have cruised twice, but this is my first post. Has anyone purchased jewelry from a recommended store that appraised for much less when you got home with it? How did you resolve the problem? Thank you.

I hate to sound harsh but why would you trust an appraisal from a store that is trying to sell you the stuff? They want to make you feel good and make you think that you are taking advantage of the store by getting something expensive for a minimal price.

You buy jewelry because you like it, not because of it's value.

Another thing. When you buy anything anywhere, never go back and check on prices unless the item can be returned. Will it make you better for you to realize that you overpaid for something? I doubt it.

DON

Edited by donaldsc