Viking Sun

LEESRE

Dear LEESRE,

Thanks for your inquiry. We’re happy to provide a status update on Viking Sun.

As of this morning, she was received with ceremony at Fincantieri’s shipyard in Ancona, Italy. We anticipate Viking Sun’s maiden voyage through the Adriatic and Ionian Seas, and all of her following journeys, to be met with success.

Our newest addition to the fleet is on schedule to see fall itineraries, as well as embark on our first-ever World Cruise December 15.

We hope this helps, LEESRE, and wish you a great rest of the day. We can’t wait to see you in October!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

VIKING SUN

The ship is on the move at long last it left Ancona today after, I think, being handed over to Viking, seems to be heading for Venice.

Does Viking have anything to tell us??? TellUs@vikingcruises.com

This is the best news I've heard all week! Here it is 8 days to leaving and my husband had a sudden surgery last Friday. He just got out of the hospital last night and I am hoping we can still go on October 4th. It is "iffy" right now.

I do hope your husband is doing well and you both get to recuperate on the Sun . It will do you both a world of good !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dear LEESRE,

As of this morning, she was received with ceremony at Fincantieri’s shipyard in Ancona, Italy. We anticipate Viking Sun’s maiden voyage through the Adriatic and Ionian Seas, and all of her following journeys, to be met with success.

Our newest addition to the fleet is on schedule to see fall itineraries, as well as embark on our first-ever World Cruise December 15.

We hope this helps, LEESRE, and wish you a great rest of the day. We can’t wait to see you in October!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Thank you Viking for the status update for the Viking Sun! That is great news. We will be cruising in the December 1, 2017 itinerary. Any update on the ports of call for Cultural Cuba sailings?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is the best news I've heard all week! Here it is 8 days to leaving and my husband had a sudden surgery last Friday. He just got out of the hospital last night and I am hoping we can still go on October 4th. It is "iffy" right now.

Hi Dianethecruiser

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's surgery. I hope he heals quickly and is well enough to take the cruise on the 4th of October. Best Regards, Pat

Dear LEESRE,

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Many thanks Viking, just looking forward to our cruise on the 4th October, cannot wait to see the new ship.:D:D

Husband is doing much better and got the go ahead from his doctor yesterday! YAAAAAAAY! Nothing slows him down. We are both looking forward to this fabulous trip.

Excellent news on both accounts. I'm pleased to hear your husband has got the go ahead to travel and that the ship will be there to meet us all on the 4th. Fantastic.

Best wishes Val

Glad to see that she is at sea. Some of the crew posted photos on Face Book - looked like there was a celebration taking place after she was handed over - not the official site. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viking-Sun/482062995477717?fref=ts

Getting so close now - glad to see weather is forecast to be OK too

Wondering why the Viking Sun is anchored at Kotor, Montenegro. When we were there aboard the Viking Star in the fall of 2015, we docked right next to the city walls and walked a very short distance to begin our excursions. A much larger Costa cruise ship there at the same time had to anchor in the bay and tender passengers into Kotor. One possible reason for the Sun to anchor off shore is to give the new crew experience early on in tendering passengers ashore.

Her passengers don't arrive till Wednesday in Venice. Perhaps they are 'running her in' as they used to say many years ago when a car was new. Sure it applies to ships too. Not just the engines but making sure all crew are up to standard not only to feed us, entertain us and care for us but also ensure we are safe. Tendering can be a risky business so glad to hear if they are practising - I've had a few hairy experience getting on and off ships and tender boats!!