Jewel Haven Mexican Riviera Photo Review 1/3/16

3kidsncats

Great review of the Jewel with your family nice pics. We will be on the Jewel in May in Alaska our sixth time up there. The Haven is well worth the money I think can't wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the detailed review. We are doing a B2B in and aft facing penthouse January 2017 for our 25th anniversary, and your review makes me wish it was sooner. This is a very big splurge for us and we are very excited.

We have our 25th in 2018, so already thinking about what cruise we will take for it. B2B in a suite is a great idea! But I'd have to start saving last month, lol. This months trip in the Haven was a huge splurge for us as well, so I completely understand where you are coming from. But it's worth doing a time or two in life.

Great review of the Jewel with your family nice pics. We will be on the Jewel in May in Alaska our sixth time up there. The Haven is well worth the money I think can't wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks! You will definitely enjoy the Haven. It will be here before you know it!

I heard that Jon was promoted to Butler and is on another ship. Len is the new Courtyard valet, and we loved him. He is new to working on a cruise ship, and has only been on the Jewel for about a month. So he doesn't know all the drinks by heart yet, etc., but he is super enthusiastic and wants to do an amazing job for everyone. He's just really delightful, and we hated saying goodbye to him. My kids keep commenting that they miss him, and hope his passengers this week are nice.

Yes yes yes! Len was absolutely fantastic! (DH) :-)

Thanks! You will definitely enjoy the Haven. It will be here before you know it!

3kidsncats -

Let me know if I can leave some stuff here from our Haven experience this week. I don't want to take over your review or do a whole review but thought it might help future Jewel Haveners to go to a single thread for info.

-Sean

Feel free Sean, I don't mind at all :-) Hope you are having a great time, and look forward to hearing about your week when you get home

BTW - Just told Len you said hello. I said "Sir Kenneth" and family and he corrected me "Sir Kenneth Senior." He certainly remembers you all and says hello.

Edited by wilmingtech

3kidsncats -

Let me know if I can leave some stuff here from our Haven experience this week. I don't want to take over your review or do a whole review but thought it might help future Jewel Haveners to go to a single thread for info.

-Sean

Sean--We have stayed in the Haven several times before but never on the Jewel. We have one of two Haven Owener's Suites booked for the 3/13 cruise. Really enjoyed 3kidsncats review. I for one, would much appreciate any other thoughts/insights you might have about the Haven on the Jewel. Thanks so much.

Ray

3kidsncats -

-Sean

Yes please do! Although I was just in the haven 9 months ago but things change so quickly!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have just spent the last few hours reading this entire thread.

We are going to be first time NCL cruisers on the Jewel on March 20th.

Thanks for all the comments and hints about what to ask for.

Rockfan2

So glad that you enjoyed it, and took the time to comment :-) There are some great reviews that have more ship detail, like the one Sheebah did recently, and Mitsugirly did one a couple of years ago, which covers a lot of the ship venues.

Are you in the Haven for this upcoming cruise?

I think it was my question! Haha! I just remembered this morning that your awesome review was in the same type of room!!! Would you recommend a small

Power strip?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend one. In the master bedroom, really the only accessible option is at the sink, near the dressing table section. There is an outlet in the main room, near the coffee area, and probably the bathroom in the second bedroom. I have to admit to not looking extensively in the main room, but the only one I remember finding was at the coffee area.

With six of us, it was limiting. And we were in device vacation mode, lol

Edited by 3kidsncats

So glad that you enjoyed it, and took the time to comment :-) There are some great reviews that have more ship detail, like the one Sheebah did recently, and Mitsugirly did one a couple of years ago, which covers a lot of the ship venues.

Are you in the Haven for this upcoming cruise?

Sadly no but maybe we will have a visit from the upgrade fairy for first time NCL cruisers :)

We are just now leaving our grand Haven experience. This is really the worst part of the whole trip [emoji1]

Some quick cliff notes about the entertainment. I was going to review some of it but we found out the Russian couple who were absolutely amazing will be disembarking today.

Also we heard that the cruise director Tom will be leaving today as well. And in a conversation with comedian Rod Long he mentioned this was the last week of his contract too.

Jean Pierre is amazing. Very funny magician. If you see no shows at all on your trip he is worth sitting in to watch.

More notes to come....

So our very first experience with Haven was an interaction with the lady working the lattitudes/Haven check in lines sending us straight to the Haven lounge skipping the Check-In line.

Once we walked into the lounge they asked our name and found a corredsponding envelope of paperwork. Then asked us to sit and said the Concierge would be with us shortly. An hour later we were approached by Joaquin with our envelope and cards. He said we could board when we were ready.

Seemed like Joaquin was trying to get everyone their cards and square away all suite guests at the same time (lounge was very full)

By the time Joaquin made it over to us the entire lattitudes lounge had already boarded and they were calling regular boarding numbers 5 and 6.

Personally I'd have rather checked in, got our cards and walked right on board or at least given that option.

After all that we ended up having to reshow our passports at 2 security points and then go to guest services to check in on the ship.

Ill spare all the details but our cards didn't work either. It seemed like it was all of the Haven that had that problem. Joaquin was walking around with a handfull of freestyle cards. 2 Sets of cards later and we finally had cards that worked.

THE BUTLER -

Butlers were BUSY that first day. When our butler (Jonjon) first showed up he seemed overwhelmed and his phone was constantly ringing. We just asked for milk cartons and that took a while (we had milk for lattes before we went to dinner at 6). We asked our steward to empty our fridge which he did right away.

I strongly reccomend calling pre-cruise concierge services to make these little requests. If the requests happen before you get there it would be one less thing to bother the butler/steward with.

Other than that first day our butler and room steward were phenomenal. (Jonjon is the port side suite butler until June. Jennifer was the Starboard side suite butler and Jayson was our steward)

We did meet Len the courtyard butler. He was awesome (as previously reported) Our 3rd child loved going to sit in the courtyard and have breakfast with Len. I think they very much enjoyed each others company. This morning on the last day we had a family breakfast with Len. He is a great guy and spoiled our kids rotten all week.

My first 15 years of work were in the food service industry. Im the type of person that really doesn't mind grabbing a napkin off the server station if the server isn't around. So having a butler was kind of foreign to us.

But Jonjon quickly taught us everything we needed. His anticipation of needs was phenomenal. One example was that my wife and I had a date night planned and Jonjon immediately upon over hearing suggested popcorn and movies for the younger kids. This happened many times through the week where he was suggesting and bringing stuff to make our trip more fun. He was a great butler and his personality was contagious.

Wow -- there was a lot of new staff in the Haven in just a few weeks! Port side staff were completely different, but sounds like you had some wonderful people to work with in JonJon and Jayson. I'm not remotely surprised to hear that Len made a stellar impression, and that he spoiled your kids -- as you know, we felt exactly the same. Those courtyard breakfasts are one of the best parts of being in the Haven.

Did you enjoy the cabin? I was surprised how much time we spent there, but it was a very relaxing place to be, so we made the most of it. How about the ports? I was very surprised I enjoyed them as much as I did, but my expectations were very low, lol.

Glad it seems like embarkation was the only hassle during your trip :-)

Hi, love your photos and review!!!

We are sailing on Jade (sister ship) in the 2 bedroom Family Haven Suite in March. There will be 6 of us as well. From the pictures I can see that the room layout is identical to what we are getting ready for. I have some questions for you if you have the time!

1. Master bath toilet has the glass door....how did you handle bathroom privacy? Is there a way to hang a towel on the glass? Now that I mention it, shower privacy as well?

2. I was shocked to see the walkway under your shower window! We will be in 14508, which according to your photos puts our shower right above the walkway as well?? Is there any way to make the shower safe from viewing eyes?

3. The 2nd bedroom: How did the steward make this room comfortable for everyone? How big was the lower bed? My brother in law and sister in law will be sleeping in there. I am hoping it is comfortable for the two of them...

4. We are having my twin 17 year old girls sleep in the living room area. I assume that we will need an additional cot brought in for the two of them? (one on cot, one on sofa?)

5. Is there anything you wish you had packed that would make the close quarters more comfortable to live in for a week?

6. Are there showers in the Haven courtyard that we can use if necessary (when everyone is getting ready for dinner perhaps)?

Now that you look back, please tell me anything that you wish you had known ahead of time (or brought) with regard to the Haven and having 6 people. I appreciate any input you will have.

Thanks for the amazing review of your vacation! Jade is a completely different itinerary...but I really enjoyed reading all of your port reviews regardless.

Hi, love your photos and review!!!

We are sailing on Jade (sister ship) in the 2 bedroom Family Haven Suite in March. There will be 6 of us as well. From the pictures I can see that the room layout is identical to what we are getting ready for. I have some questions for you if you have the time!

1. Master bath toilet has the glass door....how did you handle bathroom privacy? Is there a way to hang a towel on the glass? Now that I mention it, shower privacy as well?

This is a downfall of the 2 bedroom suites. There is really no privacy in the master bedroom/bath at all if someone is in the toilet/shower. We thought it would be much better if the toilet/shower glass were opaque instead of 'striped'.

2. I was shocked to see the walkway under your shower window! We will be in 14508, which according to your photos puts our shower right above the walkway as well?? Is there any way to make the shower safe from viewing eyes?

My wife had issues with this. I didn't care. If someone wanted to stare at my naked butt while I shower they have issues...not me :)

We went outside and looked and you could see through the window clear as day. Even the shade doesn't really block anything. Harder to see in during the day than at night.

Its a steep enough angle though where you would have to purposefully stare up to look into the shower. We had to stand back and look almost straight up from the deck to see anything. But if you are in port it doesn't help at all. Especially if you were parked next to another ship.

3. The 2nd bedroom: How did the steward make this room comfortable for everyone? How big was the lower bed? My brother in law and sister in law will be sleeping in there. I am hoping it is comfortable for the two of them...

Lower bed is big enough for two adults. Upper bed is big enough for two small (under 7yo) kids if you wanted to squeeze them in. Might want to request an egg crate mattress topper. Kids said the mattress was hard.

4. We are having my twin 17 year old girls sleep in the living room area. I assume that we will need an additional cot brought in for the two of them? (one on cot, one on sofa?)

That might not work. Its really tight to try and squeeze a cot in that space. I'm not sure they would do that. Might be worth a call to the pre cruise concierge to ask. The couch turns into a very comfy bed that only sleeps one person.

5. Is there anything you wish you had packed that would make the close quarters more comfortable to live in for a week?

Not for us. I can't really think of anything that would have helped. This space was 200sf bigger than our current home on wheels. So it worked well for us.

6. Are there showers in the Haven courtyard that we can use if necessary (when everyone is getting ready for dinner perhaps)?

Yes. There is a steam room and toilets and showers. But there is only one shower for men and one for women and the space is very tight/small.

Now that you look back, please tell me anything that you wish you had known ahead of time (or brought) with regard to the Haven and having 6 people. I appreciate any input you will have.

We wish we had bigger coffee cups and next time will bring our own. We did bring our own mix/coffee/chocolate. You can request a french press from Modernos and if you bring your own coffee it will be much better than the lavazza served on board and in the machines. Also we didn't care for the soap/shampoo provided but we brought our own as well

Thanks for the amazing review of your vacation! Jade is a completely different itinerary...but I really enjoyed reading all of your port reviews regardless.

-Sean

THE ROOM -

This ended up being really tough for us. Mostly because we love being around the ship and meeting other cruisers. We would have spent countless hours in spinnaker or reading in the library or playing games in the card room.

But the Haven room and area are so nice we spent most of our time there. Its really nice having the space but there was a daily internal struggle when deciding whether or not to stay in the Haven.

We loved the living room area. It really made the space more open. The mirrors everywhere really opened up the space.

Things we didn't like -

No separation between the toilet/shower/bath/bed in the master bedroom.

Also - no pushbutton latch on the master bed door. It was either locked shut or locked open. If the boat were moving enough for the door to slide back and forth it would have to be locked while someone was in the master bathroom. So I couldn't come in and change while wifely was in the shower if she locked the door.

The phone in the master toilet was a pain. I knocked the phone off the hook every single time I used that toilet.

Shower was very shallow. Water wouldn't hit anything lower than my neck.

There was dirt coming out of the horizontal airvent above the tub. It left all kinds of fine dust/dirt on the counter and tub.

There was only an outlet on one side of the bed. Not really a big deal but one of us had to plug our phone into the outlet on the bathroom counter at night. There was plenty of 110v Edison outlets throughout the suite. We didn't need a power strip.