Taking two year-old twins on the Pride

I am starting to be a bit annoyed. We have found the perfect cabin with a super nice deck, and Carnival will not let us book it because the company counts our two years-old twins as full-size guests. This stateroom does have a third and a fourth bed, but our twins are sleeping on the floor in their travel tents. If we even tried to put them in a bed they would just bump onto the floor (do not ask how we know this to be fact!).

How can I get the cruise company to waive the regulation and allow four people, which really is two adults and two 30-pound toddlers in a double room?

Thanks for your advise.

I'm confused. If the room has the third & fourth bed why won't they let you book? I must be missing something, because it seems like it a cabin for 4 & your a family of 4.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm confused. If the room has the third & fourth bed why won't they let you book? I must be missing something, because it seems like it a cabin for 4 & your a family of 4.

Yeah I'm confused too....

I am starting to be a bit annoyed. We have found the perfect cabin with a super nice deck, and Carnival will not let us book it because the company counts our two years-old twins as full-size guests. This stateroom does have a third and a fourth bed, but our twins are sleeping on the floor in their travel tents. If we even tried to put them in a bed they would just bump onto the floor (do not ask how we know this to be fact!).

How can I get the cruise company to waive the regulation and allow four people, which really is two adults and two 30-pound toddlers in a double room?

Thanks for your advise.

If the cabin has a third and fourth bed, it can hold 4 people, so I'm a little confused why you can't book it when you have 4 people.

I think she is only wanting to pay for two people instead of four.

Kids count just like adults it's the policy of all cruise lines not just carnival.... If they wave the policy and put you in a room for two what happens in case of an emergency? They are capacity controlled hence lifeboats and life jackets

I think she meant to say that the stateroom does not have a third and fourth bed.

To the OP, every soul is counted as a full person, whether 6 months old, or 100 years old. All cruise lines do this. I think it may be a coast guard regulation. So don't be annoyed at Carnival. They are just playing by the rules. EM

You are out of luck. I paid full fare for my one year old, but I fully expected this since its industry standard. Some lines occasionally have promotions where kids sail free. And MSC does not charge for children at all (except taxes and gratuity). But otherwise you will be paying for your kids.

Thanks for your advise.

Not to be funny here, but you want the Carnival to "waive" safety regulations that "ALL" cruise lines must follow, after all the bad publicity they already get?

Do you want them to have a spot in a lifeboat? They can only allow so many people per cabin depending on the number of beds due to safety regulations. This is going to be the same on any cruiseline so it's not Carnival's decision.

Just pick another cabin that actually fits four people. Problem solved.

Carnival won't refuse 4 in a 4 person cabin, but at a 4 people rate. Sounds like OP wants to get the kids on free because they won't be actually using a bed.

Of course 4 can't be in a double cabin. As we all know, little bodies are still a passenger even if they sleep on the floor.

As someone else pointed out, is there a typo ? Maybe meant to say there is no 3 or 4th bed?

Thanks for your advise.

they wont change it. its still four people.

??? Confusing first post. Hopefully the op will come back to clarify.

To the op:

Your kids are living, breathing humans, yes? In that case they need to pay for services as all the other living, breathing humans on the ship do.

Generally the price is less for 3rd and 4th passengers, but on Carnival and most cruise lines, they are not free. MSC is the only line I know of that is currently offering a kids sail free promotion.

It doesn't matter where they sleep. They aren't charging per bed, they are charging per human.

The reason is due to lifejackets and boats. Can you imagine if there were 2 extra "just 30 pound" people in every cabin? That'd be 2000 extra people! If the ship were to go down...it would be like the Titanic all over again.

For those who don't understand why it took me a couple of days to write back . . . Sorry about that, but remember the bit about two two year-old twins! :-)

By the time they were two, my twins had something like 50,000 miles in the air and we never paid for them as full passengers. And all safely regulations were followed. And we were on red-eyes with sleeping cherubs - in fact BritAir has little cots that are attached to the bulkheads. Take note cruise lines who wish to cater to families. The AIRCRAFT designers are ahead of you. What does that say?

But I am beginning to understand that the cruise ships are different in the way they charge/define passengers.

There is one other cabin that DOES have four beds (even though we will only be using two of them #still bitter, haha), but it is currently booked. I wonder if we could get on a waiting list for that cabin. Maybe I could get the type of room that I want after all. Call me, bullheaded or diligent, either way I will keep after things until I get them.

For those who don't understand why it took me a couple of days to write back . . . Sorry about that, but remember the bit about two two year-old twins! :-)

By the time they were two, my twins had something like 50,000 miles in the air and we never paid for them as full passengers. And all safely regulations were followed. And we were on red-eyes with sleeping cherubs - in fact BritAir has little cots that are attached to the bulkheads. Take note cruise lines who wish to cater to families. The AIRCRAFT designers are ahead of you. What does that say?

But I am beginning to understand that the cruise ships are different in the way they charge/define passengers.

There is one other cabin that DOES have four beds (even though we will only be using two of them #still bitter, haha), but it is currently booked. I wonder if we could get on a waiting list for that cabin. Maybe I could get the type of room that I want after all. Call me, bullheaded or diligent, either way I will keep after things until I get them.

I don't understand... there are no more QUADS available for your sailing? How can you get on the waiting list for the cabin that have been already booked? I don't even think there is a waiting list for any room. You just have to keep checking what is available. Are you first-time cruiser?

Think of it from a business standpoint. Even though it's your vacation, it's Carnival's business.

A ship is only permitted to have a certain number of souls on board. So your twins will count as two. Your two-person cabin would then have four souls. Meaning Carnival will need to undersell a cabin with four beds to make "room" for your two on the floor.

It's easier to simply choose a four-person cabin. Our four-year-old prefers sleeping on the cabin floor and we have to book a four-bed cabin every time.

By the time they were two, my twins had something like 50,000 miles in the air and we never paid for them as full passengers. ....But I am beginning to understand that the cruise ships are different in the way they charge/define passengers.

Sea travel is different than air travel, in which an infant can be on a lap. Think seats in a lifeboat and life jackets. That's where these regulations come in.

And no, tiny ones aren't going to eat their ticket cost at the buffet, but if Carnival charged people by what they ate, some people would be paying about ten grand for their three-day cruise to the Caribbean.

There may be a waiting list for a type of cabin, but I've never heard of one for a specific cabin. If you post your sailing ship and date, I'm sure one of the experts around here can help you try to find a suitable cabin to book.

Archived