Rhine/Moselle River sightseeing and exercise

hiccups

As I've mentioned a million times already :), we'll be doing Uniworld's Legendary Rhine and Moselle itinerary at the end of the month. I've spent most of 2015 dieting and have lost 70+ lbs, partly by telling myself, "You can have anything you want on the cruise" :D Not the best strategy, but hey, it worked!

Anyway... I do want to be able to enjoy the food and beverages on this trip, and so am looking to combine exercise and sightseeing as much as possible. I work out every day and am concerned the walking on tours might not be enough to maintain my usual level of exercise. Already on my list I have climbing the Cologne cathedral, and taking the Uniworld bike tours. The ship does have a gym, but I'd rather spend my time out and about!

Can you experienced travelers recommend other sights/excursions that will provide a little extra calorie burn? Our cruise companion mentions climbing the cathedral in Strasbourg--has anyone done that?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

You should really be proud of your accomplishment. So many benefits associated with what you achieved:D

I've mentioned this in another CC thread but will repeat it for you. I'm a 67 yr old guy who struggles with eating. I hit a target weight before our Christmas markets cruise this past December. I did not hold back on the cookies, gingerbreads, brats and beers - you get the idea. Weighed in when we got home and ...... lost 3 lbs. You should be in great shape just keeping a brisk pace on the daily walking tours and adding those cathedral climbs.

Wishing you the best trip ever,

Frank

hiccups, congratulations on your weight loss.

Wear a pedometer and you will be surprised at how much you do walk. We normally walk between 5 and 10 miles each day. If we have lots of free time after the included tour we take off and walk. The only time we don't get a lot of walking in is if we have a tour in the morning and then cruise right away (around lunch time).

Have a wonderful time on your tour.

Hiccups - congrats on your hard work! I've never been able to lose weight on any cruise, no matter how active, sorry to say.

We did climb the cathedral spire in Strasbourg. There are some pictures in my review of that cruise, Castles on the Rhine, from 2014.

Hiccups - congrats on your hard work! I've never been able to lose weight on any cruise, no matter how active, sorry to say.

We did climb the cathedral spire in Strasbourg. There are some pictures in my review of that cruise, Castles on the Rhine, from 2014.

Thanks! I am hoping to keep any gain to a couple pounds :)

I recalled you had done the cathedral at Cologne. Looking at your pictures again I realized I was recalling the ones from Strasbourg instead. DH and I checked out your thread immediately after booking the trip in February, but I think we need to re-visit it in the coming week and take some notes!

When you see a hillside, look up. If there is something that looks interesting, walk up.

Do you stop in Boppard, Bonn or Trier?

We stop in Boppard and Trier. I'm assuming at most ports there will be a lot of hills to climb if one is so inclined. Ha, no pun intended!

We stop in Boppard and Trier. I'm assuming at most ports there will be a lot of hills to climb if one is so inclined. Ha, no pun intended!

Congratulations on your stellar achievement......you must be very proud of yourself and deservedly so!! I lost 40 pounds 2 years ago and have kept it off...I'm limited in physical exercise due to a torn achilles, but I have discovered a few exercises that work like a charm on river cruises and have enabled me to keep to a 3-5 lb weight gain: when you have a choice between something really good or something green.....go with the green; always eat the desert you chose but don't eat anyone else's and finally when you've finished eating push back from the table and do a few laps around the top deck...you'll keep from gainiing weight and you'll maintain that good feeling about yourself and as an added bonus, the evening walk/stroll will help you sleep better. Way to go, Hiccups...keep it up!!! :D

Trier, not so much the inclines as the places to visit that will give you a bit of a walk. In the main Platz, kind of at either end are the Porta Negra and the Cathedral. A bit away from the Platz is the Landesmusuem (Archeological Museum) and the further on are The Baths and the Coliseum. Assuming you get an overview tour, these can fill out your day nicely and get you a several mile walk.

Boppard has a great view point up the hill just at the edge of town . . . the Vierseenblick. There is a pathway you can use to walk up, probably gaining 700 to 800 or so feet. Wear good shoes and bring a walking stick if you have one. Not only do you get a great view at the top, but there is a restaurant/biergten too! The beginning of the path looks sort of like an alleyway between house. Wear good walking shoes (essential) and, if you've one, bring a walking stick (optional). Good knees are also essential, if you

Edited by CPT Trips

I am just off the Catherine and follow a low fat diet by choice. The dining room manager was very accommodating and came to my table at dinner each evening and explained how each dish was prepared. They use a lot of fat in their dishes and he made sure I had my meals prepared without fat as I prefer.

I am not a dessert fan so cannot comment about that.

I did indulge in cheese and wine and bread, my three favorite food groups.:)

My Fitbit kept track of miles walked and calories burned and I came home the same as I left, and did not feel denied of anything.

Edited by caviargal

Congratulations. I lost 60 pounds about 3 years ago but I have developed several techniques before and after our trips to maintain and yet eat and drink all I want while traveling. The number one thing I do now to maintain is that I diet for a few weeks before a trip and get 5 pounds below my target weight with the intention that I will probably come back with that 5 pounds at the end of a 2 week trip. It has worked well!!

We sailed the Rhine with Uniworld last July and like JP climbed the Cathedral in Cologne. Was well worth it but fairly warm so we were soaked to the bone with sweat by the time we got back down.

We found that most nights we were able to to take long walks and/or bike rides after dinner since there were a number of nights we were in port till 11 or after. The bike riding along the Rhine was fantastic. On the night or two we were sailing my wife and I did go to the gym for about 45 minutes after dinner then went back to the lounge to reward ourselves.

We didn't take advantage of this but Uniworlds spa manager did a number of activities such as pilates, water aerobics(there was a pool on Antoinette) and special walks. Unfortunately we always had something conflicting but we met several who really enjoyed it. I would definitely check into that first day so you can plan accordingly.

We also generally took the most athletic/calorie burning excursion. So for instance in Strousburg we took the do as the locals tour instead of the canal tour. As you already know they will offer several biking excursions. We didn't take these as we utilized the bikes on our own 4 or 5 times.

Have a great trip!!

I am just off the Catherine and follow a low fat diet by choice. The dining room manager was very accommodating and came to my table at dinner each evening and explained how each dish was prepared. They use a lot of fat in their dishes and he made sure I had my meals prepared without fat as I prefer.

Did you request low fat meals when you submitted your passenger information form, or just handled it once on board? I debated about making notations regarding low fat or low carb on the form, but in the end didn't, thinking I could just make choices based on the evening's menu. I have time to call Uniworld and change my form, though.

Congratulations. I lost 60 pounds about 3 years ago but I have developed several techniques before and after our trips to maintain and yet eat and drink all I want while traveling. The number one thing I do now to maintain is that I diet for a few weeks before a trip and get 5 pounds below my target weight with the intention that I will probably come back with that 5 pounds at the end of a 2 week trip. It has worked well!!

That was my plan, but it hasn't worked out this month :D I've seemed to plateau, darn it! Plus a business trip next week will keep me on my toes just to maintain.

Trier, not so much the inclines as the places to visit that will give you a bit of a walk. In the main Platz, kind of at either end are the Porta Negra and the Cathedral. A bit away from the Platz is the Landesmusuem (Archeological Museum) and the further on are The Baths and the Coliseum. Assuming you get an overview tour, these can fill out your day nicely and get you a several mile walk.

Boppard has a great view point up the hill just at the edge of town . . . the Vierseenblick. There is a pathway you can use to walk up, probably gaining 700 to 800 or so feet. Wear good shoes and bring a walking stick if you have one. Not only do you get a great view at the top, but there is a restaurant/biergten too! The beginning of the path looks sort of like an alleyway between house. Wear good walking shoes (essential) and, if you've one, bring a walking stick (optional). Good knees are also essential, if you

Hmmm, the lure of a biergarten might be enough to convince my DH to partake in the Boppard walk...

Did you request low fat meals when you submitted your passenger information form, or just handled it once on board? I debated about making notations regarding low fat or low carb on the form, but in the end didn't, thinking I could just make choices based on the evening's menu. I have time to call Uniworld and change my form, though.

I advised before sailing and then reminded them once on board. I was very pleased with their efforts to meet my dietary preferences.

I would have been quite limited in my options otherwise as dishes generally did have a lot of fat and sauces. The menu had light options in the evenings as well.

On the buffets I was able to choose options that worked for me but it did limit my choices.

My eating preferences are a lifestyle choice and I don't vary when on vacation, except to indulge in a few favorites and make up those calories with additional exercise.

The exercise classes offered on board were not geared to truly active people IMO and were minimum effort; this was appropriate for the demographic aboard. I am a gym rat and dedicated to my daily exercise routine. In Europe I am able to get what I need by walking 8-10 miles a day. I had planned to use the weights in the gym to keep up with my routine but there was no bench provided.

Hello hiccups,

I remember CPTtrips and I discussing Boppard. That was in the river ports section:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990700

Trier is indeed mostly flat but lots of nice walking around the pedestrianized streets and the Roman baths as well as the amphitheatre ruins a little bit out of the town centre are worth seeing on foot rather than from a coach (if that is what is offered as a guided tour). I recall somebody mentioning a castle (Schloss Monaise) on the other river bank that a bike ride is offered to. My memory is failing me with the exact details of the offer. This is the castle: http://www.trier-info.de/english/monaise-palace-info

The Trier website with the many sights is really good: http://www.trier-info.de/english/sights-in-trier

Remember to have a look at the Roman bridge (General Patton crossed it).

Cologne cathedral is always a (strenous) delight to climb. You can see the intricately carved stonework from the inside and relatively close up: http://www.cologne-tourism.com/attractions-culture/cologne-cathedral/cathedral-south-tower.html

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions! I'm writing them down in the "Notes" section of the Cruise Companion for each of the ports.

Notamermaid, when I checked out the Trier site I was envious of all the long biking and hiking trails listed there! We moved last year and I lost access to a very nice biking trail. The "long" trail in my current town is less than 14 miles, which is barely enough for a good ride!

I agree with notamermaid; the Cologne cathedral has beautiful stone work that you can see up close and personal while climbing. The last set of spiral stairs is particularly ornate and beautiful; it sits within the spire and can be viewed very nicely from the last rest stop before you ascend to the top.

Strasbourg has much less interesting stairs, but as I recall the stairway has more windows, so many more opportunities to appreciate the architecture of the cathedral from different vantage points.

Neither compares to the cathedral in Ulm, 760+ steps, and a very narrow 2-way spiral staircase for the last leg. The 2-way traffic is a real challenge, especially after eating ! But the view is spectacular, and the stonework is of a similar style to the Cologne cathedral.

hiccups, we plan to visit Trier as part of our September land-based trip. Would greatly appreciate any insights you have for us after you visit. Will also check out the website (thanks, notamermaid). Depending on how much time we leave ourselves, looks like lots of great things to do in Trier. But I also want to drive on the Nürburgring...

hiccups, we plan to visit Trier as part of our September land-based trip. Would greatly appreciate any insights you have for us after you visit. Will also check out the website (thanks, notamermaid). Depending on how much time we leave ourselves, looks like lots of great things to do in Trier. But I also want to drive on the Nürburgring...

Our itinerary indicates a city tour, although I'm assuming that's by bus. It also says we have some time to explore on our own, but it seems as though the time there might be short. I'll let you know what we end up doing/seeing!