Can anyone convince me to snorkel in Bonaire?

potsie57

We will be stopping in Bonaire in Jan of the Serenade of the Seas, I see a lot of people talking about snorkeling. We have snorkeled for 30 years on many many islands in the Caribbean. Is snorkeling better and different than say Aruba, Bermuda, Roatan or Cozumel? Should we make the effort to snorkel Bonaire? I'm at the point now in my life that I am thinking how much better can it be in Bonaire than other islands...Thanks for any tips or suggestions....Can anyone convince me? LOL

Regularly ranked in top 3 of WORLD wide snorkel/dive spots.

Whole place is marine protected.

A ridiculous % of dive/snorkel spots are accessible from walk in. Reefs begin between 2ft deep and 10ft deep making them visible for even the most apprehensive of snorkel attempts.

The island is home to some of the most intensive coral study and rehabilitation efforts.

Your tourism $$ might just be saving the ocean in a small way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We found snorkeling at Klein Bonaire beautiful. It’s a personal choice of course but I’d recommend you do it. There are lots of private excursion companies rather than through the ship. Less people usually.

It is possible to take the water taxi but it was not working when we were there last time. Luckily we already had booked a snorkel excursion.

Absolutely great, you can take a snorkel tour which takes you to 2 dive spots or take the ferry over to the small island adjacent to port and walk in and snorkel right off beach have done both and both highly recommended!

I have snorkeled Hawaii Bermuda Bahamas Mexico and many different islands in Caribbean and this is one of my favorites! Will again be there in February! Was on RCCL and the first tour was booked thru them but I know you can find them if you Google snorkel trips Bonaire.

• 3 weeks later...

Not here to convince you as I have no vested interest if you snorkel or not.  That's up to you.  But, like you, we have snorkeled all over the world.  Snorkeling off the back side of Klein Bonaire is the fabulous and one of the best places we've ever snorkeled.  Nothing like most of the Caribbean although Aruba and Curacao have some really nice places to snorkel too. We took a tour but would opt for the ferry next time.  What sets it apart are 2 things.  First, It's not just the fish that makes it great, although they are, but it's the coral.  Never seen anything like it before.  Second, it's  a drift snorkel. Basically means you get in at one end and an hour later you get out at the other end so it's not like you are snorkeling around in a circle like most places. 

It's up to you but I would never go to Bonaire without snorkeling at Klein Bonaire.  Then I'd head out around the island to explore.    enjoy

On 9/12/2018 at 8:49 AM, NateUpNorth said:

Regularly ranked in top 3 of WORLD wide snorkel/dive spots.

Whole place is marine protected.

A ridiculous % of dive/snorkel spots are accessible from walk in. Reefs begin between 2ft deep and 10ft deep making them visible for even the most apprehensive of snorkel attempts.

The island is home to some of the most intensive coral study and rehabilitation efforts.

Your tourism $$ might just be saving the ocean in a small way.

Agree with the above!  

If you like to snorkel, don't miss doing so in Bonaire.:classic_cool:

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, Duanerice1 said:

Not here to convince you as I have no vested interest if you snorkel or not.  That's up to you.  But, like you, we have snorkeled all over the world.  Snorkeling off the back side of Klein Bonaire is the fabulous and one of the best places we've ever snorkeled.  Nothing like most of the Caribbean although Aruba and Curacao have some really nice places to snorkel too. We took a tour but would opt for the ferry next time.  What sets it apart are 2 things.  First, It's not just the fish that makes it great, although they are, but it's the coral.  Never seen anything like it before.  Second, it's  a drift snorkel. Basically means you get in at one end and an hour later you get out at the other end so it's not like you are snorkeling around in a circle like most places. 

It's up to you but I would never go to Bonaire without snorkeling at Klein Bonaire.  Then I'd head out around the island to explore.    enjoy

What places did you like in Aruba & Curacao?

I'm very intrigued by the drift snorkel which I've never done before. Can you please help me understand - you enter one beach, floated for an hour (sounds perfect!) and then got out at another beach? Was it far - like a very far walk back to your car? golf cart? water taxi stop?  I'm really looking forward to snorkeling in Bonaire.

Thanks for your assistance...Pam

Duane - I just caught your review of Woodwind on another thread. Interesting choice of either doing it on our own or going with a tour company. So did I understand that it's about a 1/2 mile walk from the Pier to the Ferry to Klein Bonaire - I assume that is where you went?

Thanks again...Pam

16 hours ago, LadyDivot said:

Duane - I just caught your review of Woodwind on another thread. Interesting choice of either doing it on our own or going with a tour company. So did I understand that it's about a 1/2 mile walk from the Pier to the Ferry to Klein Bonaire - I assume that is where you went?

Thanks again...Pam

Hi Pam, the walk was to the Woodwind boat.  Maybe a half mile but right along the water.  For the tour they took us out and dropped us at one end of the island and we drifted to the other end.  If you do the ferry you just walk to one end, go in and drift back to your stuff.  We didn't do it this time but I will next time.  Also hear for a couple of $ the ferry guys will stop at one end so you can drop your stuff off at the beach then they take you to the other end so you can jump in and snorkel back to your stuff.  The island isn't long so even if you have to walk it isn't an issue.

Nothing wrong with Woodwind, they were great.  I just like to get there, snorkel then do something else 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

We have snorkeled throughout the Caribbean, and Bonaire is by far the best!  As mentioned, the variety of fish, turtles, other sealife, and beautiful coral all in crystal clear waters makes for a phenomenal excursion.  We often select our cruise itinerary so that Bonaire is included as a port of call.  As for Woodwind, we've been fortunate to have taken their excursion many times, and will do so again in February.  Dee, Ulf, and their staff know are shining examples an excursion done right!  They take great care of their guests and make sure that everyone receives personal attention and has a great time.  The lunch they serve has always been a delicious, welcome treat.  I highly recommend Bonaire and Woodwind!

YB/Duane - thanks for this. Based on what I've read here, the four of us are going on the morning Woodwind tour which should give us time to tour the rest of the island. This will be our first trip to Bonaire and we thought that an organized trip would work best for us. NEXT time, we may do it on our own on the ferry. The cost for Woodwind is very reasonable given what some other excursions in the Caribbean charge, and everything I read about their drift snorkel is top notch. Y'all's comments support the decision!

YB - when in Feb are you going? We're on the Feb 22 Silhouette.

Many thanks...Pam