First European Cruise - Help!

pbs0910

Hi! I am looking to send my parents (age 60) on their first European cruise. We've done many cruises in the past, mainly on RC to Caribbean ports. Operating on a fairly small budget, looking to spend about $2400 on the cruise itself (airfare separate). Any tips for a first time European cruise? Best lines? Best itineraries, etc.? Looking for all advice...

I would go for a cruise along the Norwegian coast if scenery is important. It's a fairly relaxed itinerary. If culture is a high point, go for a Baltic cruise. Both are summer cruises.

I would not do a Mediterranean cruise as a first time because those ports are incredibly crowded.

Don't know about the price.

In general the Norwegian Fjord Cruises are higher priced while the Baltic cruise is more reasonable priced. Number of cruises are limited, sell out pretty fast. RCCL cruises from Copenhagen and Stockholm. Also from Amsterdam and Southampton.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd look to your parents for ideas on itineraries, unless you are surprising them? Even if that's the case, surely at some point they've mentioned places they'd like to see...

The Mediterranean would be my first choice and if they can go during the shoulder season (mid-April to late May or mid-September through late October) it should be somewhat less crowded.

Any mass market line may have good deals or specials. I'd probably avoid booking with either of the two Italian lines (MSC, Costa) as they tend to have shorter port days than other lines.

We liked our rccl cruise out of Barcelona , nice port to leave from , I would fly in at least one day before , avoid summer we did mid September and it was hot. Avoid ships tours have them get on roll call and see what private tours others are taking , we really liked our private tours with 6 to ten people from our roll call.

Hi! I am looking to send my parents (age 60) on their first European cruise. We've done many cruises in the past, mainly on RC to Caribbean ports. Operating on a fairly small budget, looking to spend about $2400 on the cruise itself (airfare separate). Any tips for a first time European cruise? Best lines? Best itineraries, etc.? Looking for all advice...

Have you looked at any of the European cruises and itineraries yet to get a feel for prices (since this looks to be a budget conscious cruise? The earlier (late April/early May?) the better, both for costs, and temperatures in the Med. Will your parents be happy in an inside or OV cabin or will they want a balcony? Will they want to do ship excursions, or are they happier in smaller groups, like they might find in their Roll Calls? Excursions are a huge part of European cruises, so choose the itinerary carefully, with an eye to your parents preferences and abilities in foreign ports.

I'm afraid that with your budget, you'll have to stick with the mass market lines, and probably a shorter itinerary.

The itinerary should really depend on your parent's preferences - scenery, culture, architecture, history, quiet cruise, etc.

For a relaxing cruise, with lots of spectacular scenery the best option is probably the Norway Coast, with some of them hitting the Arctic Circle for the full 24 hrs of daylight.

The Baltic is very busy, with Berlin tours being up to 12+ hrs. St Petersburg is 2 or 3 very busy, but spectacular days. Tallinn was an amazing 3 hr walk through the Old Town + another 3 hrs driving. This area is full of culture, history & architecture. We went in mid-September and lucked out with the weather and got few crowds. Really amazing ports.

Meddy - has lots of variety. I really enjoy the Greek islands, which can be rather relaxing. The mainstream ports can be very busy, requiring long lines at attractions. Tends to be fairly hot in the summer - our last Meddy in 2015 had temps in high 30's C.

As others mentioned, with your budget, you are stuck with mainstream line mega ship. Again without knowing your parents interests, but based on age, I would think HAL or Celebrity would be a good fit.

For someone who is 60 on their first European cruise, I would suggest the Mediterranean. If they’re like me, we grew up in a time when the leaning tower, gondoliers, and the colosseum represented Italy and the Parthenon represented Greece. Everything else that they see will be gravy. I would suggest a Venice to Rome cruise or something similar. I’ve been to Europe a few times now but I still remember the feelings I had when I saw those iconic landmarks for the first time.

Jmho

First choice is a Mediterranean that focuses on Italy and Greece.

Second choice is something out of London/Southampton that includes France and the Netherlands.

I would consult your parents

They may want to kick extra $$ to get something they prefer than something you can afford

check out the find a cruise link at the top to get an idea of prices

airfare alone could take up your budget

Is the $2400 for 2 or PP ?

1st time Europe cruise - definitely Western Mediterranean. Barcelona, French Riviera and Rome make up a great first time European cruising experience, imo. You'll likely get an itinerary w/multiple French and Italian ports, and possibly Greece, but I would want those three for sure. Again, imo for 1st timers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk