Miami Port - closer to city of Miami or Miami Beach?

luckyprincess

Hi! I used to live in Miami Beach and know my way around quite well. I have always very much disliked the city of Miami when I lived there and don't really wish to stay there on the day before we cruise. My cruise partner is new to cruising and Miami so I thought I could show her around South Beach and stay in Miami Beach. Is that close to the port? I've never left from that port so not sure exactly where it is. Thanks!!

The precise distance will vary based on where you stay and also time/day of week you make the drive to the port.

I would say around 20 minutes.

Miami has changed a great deal just in the last 10 to 15 years as has Miami Beach, but downtown Miami is considerably nicer then it used to be.

Keith

The precise distance will vary based on where you stay and also time/day of week you make the drive to the port.

I would say around 20 minutes.

Miami has changed a great deal just in the last 10 to 15 years as has Miami Beach, but downtown Miami is considerably nicer then it used to be.

Keith

Thanks Keith! 20 minutes is doable I think. I lived there in 2007 and after being mugged twice, once at gunpoint and harassed often on the street I just stayed away. Miami Beach has its own host of issues I know. But I think I feel more comfortable because I know my way around you know? Plus she's a shopaholic and would love Lincoln Road Mall lol! Thanks for your input :) I love the people of Miami regardless and hope it continues on an upswing!

lucky princess that makes a lot of sense. You have lots of hotels to choose from and lots of shopping.

By the way, maybe for another time but downtown Miami now has a lot of shopping with the opening of Brickell Centre. It is a beautiful shopping area and also lots of restaurants nearby plus hotels. Adjacent to it is Mary Brickell Village with additional stores and restaurants. Very safe area IMHO. My wife and I are careful in where we walk when we visit places and we feel very safe there day and night. Again, you should go where you feel comfortable and where you know the area. Just wanted to mention it for maybe a future trip.

Have a terrific stay and a great cruise.

Keith

Hi again Keith.

We're booked at the Intercontinental night before cruise.

I read somewhere about a "people mover" near the hotel. Do you know where it goes? maybe a website you can direct me to? Also, how safe is it to walk to the Bayside area during the daytime. I've been told there are lots of homeless in the area and even the McD's has to keep the restrooms locked. Should we get a cab to go back & forth?

luckyprincess, believe it or not, the hippest area of Miami and Miami Beach is no longer South Beach but Wynwood and Brickell! Yes, it was pretty sketchy ten years ago but as Keith said, it is now completely different.

That said, even though I live in Fort Lauderdale, we overnight in South Beach all the time. I don't blame you for wanting to hang out there. If you haven't been back in the while, don't miss Yardbird.

Thanks Keith! 20 minutes is doable I think. I lived there in 2007 and after being mugged twice, once at gunpoint and harassed often on the street I just stayed away. Miami Beach has its own host of issues I know. But I think I feel more comfortable because I know my way around you know? Plus she's a shopaholic and would love Lincoln Road Mall lol! Thanks for your input :) I love the people of Miami regardless and hope it continues on an upswing!

These days I think you are more likely to be harassed or robbed in Miami Beach than in Downtown Miami or Brickell. The city has made a drastic change. Obviously Miami is a much larger city in population and land size than Miami Beach, so it has its bad areas, but not an area you would want to be in anyway.

Miami Beach is great though and certainly a place I recommend people stay at anyway.

Hi again Keith.

We're booked at the Intercontinental night before cruise.

I read somewhere about a "people mover" near the hotel. Do you know where it goes? maybe a website you can direct me to? Also, how safe is it to walk to the Bayside area during the daytime. I've been told there are lots of homeless in the area and even the McD's has to keep the restrooms locked. Should we get a cab to go back & forth?

The People Mover, also known as MetroMover or just Mover takes you all around Downtown Miami and Brickell. Its free and pretty simple to use. You can check out a map here: https://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/metromover-map.pdf

Anywhere in Downtown Miami or Brickell is very very safe during the day time. Yes, there is a homeless issue in the Downtown area, but the vast majority of them are not committing property or violent crimes. They are trying to get money and food. At night, the Downtown area is a little bit emptier and I can see why people get nervous, but even then, its still a safe area to be in. And the area you are staying at towards Bayside is fine, no issues at all. Brickell is safe/comfortble regardless of the time of day.

To go to and from Bayside I see no reason to get a taxi/uber unless you don't want to the do the relatively short walk. Its safe to do that walk at night as well. Biscayne Blvd is a busy street 24/7.

I am very hesitant to post this as i don't want to scare people away from Miami after the discussions of Brickell at night.

Brickell is a very safe area but I will say to still be very vigilant in watching your surroundings. We did have an "incident" here a few weekends ago when a girl "feel asleep" in her car with her window down at 2:30 am. She was down on South Miami Ave across from PM Steakhouse. Amazingly enough, they found the person who committed the crime (unfortunately a homeless person) and have arrested him.

I know most of the homeless people who hangout in the Brickell area, some by name and this is not someone I have seen before.

Just be careful at night if you are on your own. It is still a big city.

luckyprincess, believe it or not, the hippest area of Miami and Miami Beach is no longer South Beach but Wynwood and Brickell! Yes, it was pretty sketchy ten years ago but as Keith said, it is now completely different.

That said, even though I live in Fort Lauderdale, we overnight in South Beach all the time. I don't blame you for wanting to hang out there. If you haven't been back in the while, don't miss Yardbird.

Great to hear! Thanks! I'm going to plan a long weekend in Brickell I think. What is Yardbird?? I want her to see all the great Miami Beach stuff! I love SoBe but lived in Bal Harbour so we are going for 2 days before the cruise so I can show her around.

These days I think you are more likely to be harassed or robbed in Miami Beach than in Downtown Miami or Brickell. The city has made a drastic change. Obviously Miami is a much larger city in population and land size than Miami Beach, so it has its bad areas, but not an area you would want to be in anyway.

Miami Beach is great though and certainly a place I recommend people stay at anyway.

Thanks! Good to know the city has made a positive change! I was not ready for it when I got there. I moved from Brooklyn and thought I was but nope! lol!

The People Mover, also known as MetroMover or just Mover takes you all around Downtown Miami and Brickell. Its free and pretty simple to use. You can check out a map here: https://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/metromover-map.pdf

Anywhere in Downtown Miami or Brickell is very very safe during the day time. Yes, there is a homeless issue in the Downtown area, but the vast majority of them are not committing property or violent crimes. They are trying to get money and food. At night, the Downtown area is a little bit emptier and I can see why people get nervous, but even then, its still a safe area to be in. And the area you are staying at towards Bayside is fine, no issues at all. Brickell is safe/comfortble regardless of the time of day.

To go to and from Bayside I see no reason to get a taxi/uber unless you don't want to the do the relatively short walk. Its safe to do that walk at night as well. Biscayne Blvd is a busy street 24/7.