Access to Civitavecchia Port?

veetee76

We will be arriving at Civitavecchia via local train from Rome on a Saturday afternoon in mid-April. Can you still do the 10-15 minute walk from the train station to the Eastern Port Gate (Largo Plebiscito) near the Michelangelo Fort and access the port there? I understand that main cruise port operations are now at Largo della Pace which is on the other side of the port but does that mean they closed down the old access point? I know bus service is available from outside the train station to, presumably, both locations. Are shuttles to the cruise ships only available at Largo Della Pace?

That's not precisely true, pedestrians can enter at the southern entrance/exit (near the fort) but the cruise shuttle bus does not stop there. If you are berthed at one of the close in southern points you can easily walk in and out.

The shuttle bus stop near the fort is for ferry passengers only.

That's not precisely true, pedestrians can enter at the southern entrance/exit (near the fort) but the cruise shuttle bus does not stop there. If you are berthed at one of the close in southern points you can easily walk in and out.

The shuttle bus stop near the fort is for ferry passengers only.

As mentioned above, passengers can walk in and we did so when we were there in August. We walked from the train station into the port. There is a small checkpoint that you go through (just past the Fort on the first curve) where they will want to see your passport and your boarding documents for your ship so that they know you are supposed to be in the port.

Thanks all. I think I’ve got the info. I need to make an informed decision. Will have to see what the weather is like when I arrive and where the ship ends up docking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FooCruise - If I don't end up walking from the train station, I plan to take the city bus (orange?) from outside the station to

Largo della Pace where the cruise ship shuttles apparently pick you up. It would be nice to know in advance if our ship (Viking Star) gets a primo docking location at the closest point on the pier because I just might walk then via the "shortcut" by the Fort. I don't plan on having more than a not-large rolling suitcase and backpack.

I would agree with Euro-Cruiser. We have had no problem walking into the port at the old entrance (by the fort) which is only open for pedestrians. But there are no longer shuttle buses from inside that entrance...so you would need to walk all the way to your pier. This is not a big deal for us (we love long walks) but not sure I want to do this with luggage.

Hank

Is this old video still valid, when the port has changed since it has been made?:rolleyes:

Yes, its valid. And one should heed the advice to purchase the bus ticket at the station (or in the tobacco shop/cafe) before trying to board the shuttle bus. The driver does not sell tickets on the bus. This inexpensive shuttle bus will take you on a short ride (less than 10 min) to the transfer point located at Largo Della Pace (which is still outside the port). From that stop you board the various port shuttle buses (these are free) that will take you to your pier. There are usually several ships in the port...so you do need to make sure you board the port bus that is going to your specific ship (the bus will have that info posted).

Hank

I have read several places that the shuttles no longer pick up after you walk in to the East Port Gate.

Our airbnb owner, which we will be using for a Celebrity Reflection Cruise in October, shows that the

East Gate is where we are to catch it. Our airbnb is very close to that East Gate. I wrote the airbnb owner

that I thought we now had to go to Largo della Pace and what would be our best way to get there.

She insisted that the shuttle does pick up at the East Port Gate, which is a 10 minute walk. She lives there, you would think she would have the right answer. So am I to believe her or not when others are saying that it does not pick up anymore.

The Celebrity ships port at a very far port from the East Port Gate, and I would rather not try walking out there with luggage.

In the end we will probably walk down to the East Port Gate the morning of the cruise without luggage and check, but it is nice to actually know before hand so we could figure out how to get over to that Largo della Pace when NOT coming in on the train but coming from an airbnb.

Never thought of that gate (by the Fort) as the "east gate" but I guess one could call it that :). If there is a shuttle from that gate please post that news after your trip. It would be nice to know. We have only been to the port 4 times since they closed that gate (by the fortress) to vehicles.....and have never been lucky enough to see or get on any shuttle (we love to walk within that huge port) near the fortress. It would be good news if they have a shuttle from that area since its very convenient to the train station. Your post did get me to take a look at the latest posted port info and there is no mention of any such shuttle...but being Italy you never know :).

Hank

Well, we're all right.

There is, according to the port map and information page, a shuttle bus stop near the port for cruise passengers headed to berths 10 - 13.

There is not, however, a shuttle for those berthed at #25, where the megaships wind up.

So it depends on where your ship is whether or not there is a shuttle for you near the fort.

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-guide-cruise-passengers

Let´s say it like this... yes there is a shuttle stop... tried it and waited for a long time with no bus passing by (although there was a big MSC ship in port besides our tiny MS Europa). So we ended up and walked.

We asked the shuttle bus driver in the morning (in Italian) whether he will stop at the Bramante parking lot and he said no. He only went to Largo della Pace. As this wouldn´t have worked out with our plans reaching a certain train we decided to walk to the train station. Fortunately we are good walkers.

So you might be lucky and there is a bus coming and stopping at the bus stop. But I wouldn´t rely on that.

steamboats