Breakfast Buffet in DR

Cruise-Nut

I was reading a review and someone mentioned a "Buffet" for breakfast in the Main Dining Room. I know they have a Buffet Salad Bar for lunch but never heard of the Breakfast DR Buffet. Does anyone have any information on this if true. Thank you.

I was reading a review and someone mentioned a "Buffet" for breakfast in the Main Dining Room. I know they have a Buffet Salad Bar for lunch but never heard of the Breakfast DR Buffet. Does anyone have any information on this if true. Thank you.

Yes it is true. Just got off Jewel of the Seas and they offered a buffet breakfast in the Dining Room or you could still order off the menu. I always had menu service as the buffet looked exactly the same as the Windjammer. Could be good I suppose if you were in a hurry.

I may be wrong, but I think they offer the buffet on longer cruises. We had one on the Serenade last October and it was very nice. Like an elegant brunch. We were just discussing last night that we hope they have one on our upcoming Rhapsody cruise. It was a nice change from the WJ, and they have the brunch/buffet later than usual DR breakfast hours. I think they offer it once a week.

On our cruise last month on Liberty they offered this option in the MDR. Unfortunately I didn't discover it until the 2nd to last day of the cruise. Would have gone here everyday instead of dealing with the Windjammer. Hopefully they will offer this on Freedom next April. So much more relaxing than trying to find a table in the Windjammer.

IMHO, it is not a complete buffet. On Liberty earlier this month, it had scrambled eggs (are they powder eggs?), sausage, Turkey sausage, hash browns, waffle or pancake (IIRC). Also, cold items including pastries, smoked salmon (I lived next to this tray:D) and fruit. I'm sure there were additional items, those are what I recall. Oh yeah, a toaster for toasting the bagels, bread and muffins. The staff did push the buffet somewhat, but were certainly willing to obtain anything on the menu.

I thought it was a good idea, but I certainly would not like it to become the only choice.

Ken

Does anyone besides myself thing that a buffet in the dining room is a giant step down ?

If I wanted a buffet I would go to the buffet. If I wanted to be served in the dining room then that's where I'll go.

Is this the latest in the race to the bottom ?

I think this is a terrific option. Instead of having two optuions, the sometimes maddedningly crowded can't-find-a-table WJ vs. the sadte and sometimes too slow sit down dining room. Now there is a more relaxed, and less hectic dining room buffet.

Just have to ask, as I haven't experienced this as of yet, please tell me that the cups are not plastic in the dining room buffet!!!

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Does anyone besides myself thing that a buffet in the dining room is a giant step down ?

If I wanted a buffet I would go to the buffet. If I wanted to be served in the dining room then that's where I'll go.

Not at all.

By the way I read your posting, you have not experienced it yet, but I may be wrong.

It is unobtrusive and supplements the menu very well, so no probs ordering eggs benedict with a smoked salmon and cream cheese beigel either before or after

Not at all.

By the way I read your posting, you have not experienced it yet, but I may be wrong.

It is unobtrusive and supplements the menu very well, so no probs ordering eggs benedict with a smoked salmon and cream cheese beigel either before or after

Were you sitting at the next table?;) That sounds like my order exactly.

:eek:Cue the black helicopters.....

:D

Sounds like it to me. Another opportunity to cut staff and service....:mad:

They had this option in the MDR on the 14 day westbound TA last nov on Voyager and it worked out great for our family as it allowed those who wanted to order off the menu to do so, but others who wanted to choose their own could do so at the buffet, and we all still got to enjoy breakfast as a family.

I'm one of the ones who liked the buffet as I prefer a bunch of side items for breakfast, so it enables me to select bacon, pastries. cereal and fruit as I wish.

This sounds like a very good option, me and the wife can order from the menu and the kids can get something quick and easy from the buffet.

Count me in! I am tired of the WJ crowds just so my son can get his danish and pineapple. I am looking forward to finding out if the FOS has this when we sail in Feb.

It must be only on certain ships. We just got off Enchantment and there was no breakfast buffet in the DR. Was on Monarch last month and no buffet in DR for breakfast there either.

did you go for lunch too, how about lunch buffet on the Monarch? thx.

Archived