"Service Dog" on Splendor

iceleven

We just returned from a cruise on the Splendor and are hoping that someone might help explain something regarding a lady on the ship who had a Chihuahua dog with her on the ship. Upon first almost stumbling over her bag with the small dog inside of it, I was astonished when seeing the pup and said, "Oh, they let you bring a dog on board?"

She was often sitting at a table, at the rear of the ship, in the smoking section with a cigarette in her hand and with a nasal oxygen tube going into her nostrils. With a look of annoyance, she said, "A service dog."

Well, I was quite surprised but certainly didn't feel up to asking her just what service a dog, probably weighing not more than 5 pounds, could possible provide. A few times throughout the trip I passed her again and each time the pup barked, she would just shove him down into her bag.

Did anyone else see her and does anyone know anything more about her? I also would appreciate if anyone has ever had other experiences with service dogs on cruise ships. I am not speaking of "Seeing eye dogs" for the blind. And what sort of requirements/legal papers does one have to provide the cruise line to get permission for bringing a service dog on board.

A friend of mine uses a chihuahua dog as a service animal and it is trained to know when her blood sugar is not normal. The dog has saved her several times. He wears an official service dog vest with an emblem identifying him as a service animal and is allowed anywhere she goes.

We just returned from a cruise on the Splendor and are hoping that someone might help explain something regarding a lady on the ship who had a Chihuahua dog with her on the ship. Upon first almost stumbling over her bag with the small dog inside of it, I was astonished when seeing the pup and said, "Oh, they let you bring a dog on board?"

She was often sitting at a table, at the rear of the ship, in the smoking section with a cigarette in her hand and with a nasal oxygen tube going into her nostrils. With a look of annoyance, she said, "A service dog."

Well, I was quite surprised but certainly didn't feel up to asking her just what service a dog, probably weighing not more than 5 pounds, could possible provide. A few times throughout the trip I passed her again and each time the pup barked, she would just shove him down into her bag.

Did anyone else see her and does anyone know anything more about her? I also would appreciate if anyone has ever had other experiences with service dogs on cruise ships. I am not speaking of "Seeing eye dogs" for the blind. And what sort of requirements/legal papers does one have to provide the cruise line to get permission for bringing a service dog on board.

Service dogs come in all sizes. Although I do not know what good a service dog can do if they are in a bag. You would think its ability to sense something wrong would be severely obstructed.

There are many disabilities that aren't visable that a dog might assist with. Size has nothing to do with it. Go to the disabled boards. I believe there is an entire thread on what it takes to bring an animal on board. Though I don't know why it matters. The cruise ship allowed it for a reason.

And IMO it would be rude to ask someone what service the dog provides as really it is none of anyone elses business.

I too also came across a dog on our last cruise and she was a sense of smell and taste for her owner, the owner was very nice and saw how her dog excited people. She volunteered what she did. Also if her owner fell she was trained to go get help for her. The owner had lost these abilities in an accident and had the dog as help. Her dog was a mini Collie or small version of Lassie. I have also heard of service dogs that help people with anxieties like agoraphobia (sp?). The lady and her dog were lovely and she did state that the dogs go through more paperwork and scrutiny than she did. She had to be very specific as to what she did and how she allerted her and others for the various things she did. I agree with previous posters, it is the cruise line that makes sure the papers are in order and if they pass that I am sure they are legit. She allowed us to pet hers when she was at rest and not working, she helped me get over missing my dog back home, and by the end of the cruise everyone knew her name..Ciara..she was almost like the ships mascott. :D

Maybe a siesure dog. They come in all sizes. It's the cruise lines business to make sure the paperwork is in order and above board. Really not your business though:rolleyes:

I don't think you have to provide paperwork

Kae

I don't think you have to provide paperwork

Kae

Mucho paperwork is involved, not just from the cruiseline, but also from the ports of call. There are places they simply are not allowed, whether they get off the ship or not. Hop on over to the disability forum for more in depth info.

If no paperwork was involved, everyone would be bringing their pets.

This thread gives me Deja Vue from what 3 or 4 years ago??? LOL

Service dogs come in all shapes and sizes and can sense things their owners can, oncoming seizures, diabetic emergencies, many are used with autisitic children.

I think it's awesome. I also think it's against the law (at least in the US) to turn away the service animal.

Can't wait till someone who uses a small pony or a potbellied pig cruise, that will be a FUN thread!!!!

Cheers, Carole

This thread gives me Deja Vue from what 3 or 4 years ago??? LOL

Service dogs come in all shapes and sizes and can sense things their owners can, oncoming seizures, diabetic emergencies, many are used with autisitic children.

I think it's awesome. I also think it's against the law (at least in the US) to turn away the service animal.

Can't wait till someone who uses a small pony or a potbellied pig cruise, that will be a FUN thread!!!!

Cheers, Carole

Cruiselines aren't going to turn away a service dog, but they are going to cover their butts as best they can that it is a true service animal. It's not just the animal is certified, but there are strict requirements on the animals health and demeaner. They also are not allowed in certain places (GC comes to mind, but don't hold me to this). People with a service animal cannot book a cruise to these places. What happens if a change in itinerary is required is anyones guess (wonder if that plays into itinerary changes when they come up?)

I am surprised Carnival let her smoke while toting an oxygen tank around. Seems odd to me, but I can't bring an iron on the ship?:eek:

My partner, the Respiratory Therapist, has an absolute field day with those people ... LOL!

My opinion is that if she's stupid enough to be smoking while on O2 and she's in her own home to blow herself up, then fine. But on a ship with thousands of other people? No Way. She definitely should have been reported.

Cruiselines aren't going to turn away a service dog, but they are going to cover their butts as best they can that it is a true service animal. It's not just the animal is certified, but there are strict requirements on the animals heath. They also are not allowed in certain places (GC comes to mind, but don't hold me to this). People with a service animal cannot book a cruise to these places. What happens if a change in itinerary is required is anyones guess (wonder if that plays into itinerary changes when they come up?)

Ok so you quoted off my reply, which said absolutely NOTHING about certification. Sorry but you'd have to be a little dense to think that someone would be able to bring an animal on board without certification that it is indeed a service animal.

Wanna argue about certification issues, you won't be doing so with me. All I said what in the US they are not allowed to deny a SERVICE animal, said not a thing about certification.

Carole

Ok so you quoted off my reply, which said absolutely NOTHING about certification. Sorry but you'd have to be a little dense to think that someone would be able to bring an animal on board without certification that it is indeed a service animal.

Wanna argue about certification issues, you won't be doing so with me. All I said what in the US they are not allowed to deny a SERVICE animal, said not a thing about certification.

Carole

You have misunderstood me. I was really only addressing the US certification, and have no issue with what you said, which I agree with. But since you want to take issue with me, when I saw none (and apologize if you so feel this way), I am done.

Throwing around names (dense) doesn't make you look any better, good gawd.

You have misunderstood me. I was really only addressing the US certification, and have no issue with what you said, which I agree with. But since you want to take issue with me, when I saw none (and apologize if you so feel this way), I am done.

Throwing around names (dense) doesn't make you look any better, good gawd.

You jumped right on my reply without reading it, giving me what seemed to be a scathing reply about how they need to be certified, which I agree with.

The last time this was a post subject people came on here with the idea that Carnival was allowing this for only certain people, it was a hot mess.

Sorry about the dense statement, I did not mean to insult anyone, however it seemed to me to be a rather silly statement, I mean they require documentation of people, of course they will require the certification and also veternarian info about the dog.

Carole

You jumped right on my reply without reading it, giving me what seemed to be a scathing reply about how they need to be certified, which I agree with.

The last time this was a post subject people came on here with the idea that Carnival was allowing this for only certain people, it was a hot mess.

Sorry about the dense statement, I did not mean to insult anyone, however it seemed to me to be a rather silly statement, I mean they require documentation of people, of course they will require the certification and also veternarian info about the dog.

Carole

I never jump on a post without reading it. While I may not comprehend it in the way you intended, and am sometimes guilty of addressing only part of it, your comment was read and my reading comprehension is pretty good. I've read the disability boards, and the hoops these people have to jump through in order to cruise. CCL and other lines must be diligent becasue there are those who will, if they can, find any and all loopholes.

Still, I am insulted -not that you didn't comprehend what I was trying to say - but instead of just questioning, decide to resort to name calling. Nice.

Perhaps if you read the whole thread, from the begining - as opposed to just looking at your posts and responses to them - you would have a better understanding of what I was trying to say.

First I want to apologize to everyone that I am about to offend, upset, or insult. I do not mean to undermine their condition, situation, or disability.

That said, I have been reading a lot of the threads on "service animals" and I have read of dogs, cats, skunks, ferrets, and lots of other animals. I think it is good that they get to travel with the person that they are of service to. So my only question is;

Where do I sign up? I want to be a "service person" I can see when you are going to fall down the steps, warn you that something is hot, tell that you are not feeling well, and I can be a great companion, keeping you calm, relaxed, and if needed go for walks with you to keep you active.

This would be a great life, get to travel free. Go to all the places my person needs, and get free room and board.

Again, I do apologize if I offended anyone.

Archived