ROUGH SEAS? Adventure 8/30, how to tell my daughter on ship

Looks like really bad weather possible depression happening. They left from San Juan yesterday, RCCL/Adventure of the Seas.

St. Marten today, then St. kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados.

Anyway to see what is really going on? No camera on this ship.

If anyone writes back home, I'd love to know the weather. You know us Moms we worry!

Thanks so MUCH~

Looks like really bad weather possible depression happening. They left from San Juan yesterday, RCCL/Adventure of the Seas.

St. Marten today, then St. kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados.

Anyway to see what is really going on? No camera on this ship.

If anyone writes back home, I'd love to know the weather. You know us Moms we worry!

Thanks so MUCH~

Start worrying in about 29 days if the weather forecast looks bleak.

I don't understand. Tell your daughter WHAT? You also said 8/30. Did you mean 7/30?

You sound like my mother before she passed. She worried about me, and every little thing. She's even called the ship to see if I was OK :eek: I'm sure your daughter is fine and having the time of her life. Breathe and have a glass of wine on this beautiful afternoon. :)

BTW, I was 50 at the time and traveling with my DH. Just chill..............Mom!! :)

Unless your daughter is the Captain, there is nothing that you need to tell her about the possible upcoming weather. The staff on board are all very knowledgeable and well equipped to deal with upcoming weather issues-it is not the SS Minnow! :rolleyes: Im sure your daughter will have a great time no matter what the weather and possible diversions of ports and the staff will take good care of all the pax.

I agree with the others. The weather is out of your control. Your daughter is already on the ship. Let her enjoy it without worrying about what "could be." The crew is well informed of any possible weather, will change ports if need be. The odds are, you're worrying for nothing.

Moms worry, it is their job:) There is a website where you can actually track the ship. Frankly it is rather cumbersome to figure out. I am putting a link, but don't know how well it will work. It should show were Adventure of the Seas is located (currently st Maarten). http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-63/centery:18/zoom:10

If it doesn't work. go to the web cam for St Maarten... someone already linked... at the bottom you will see the map and you can click on the ship... the website that provides this informaition also tracks the ships location.

My husband and I have sailed on a ship trying to outrun a hurricane a number of years ago. I have issues with motion sickness.... but I was actually in pretty good shape. The ship rocked a bit... but everything was generally alright and actually a bit more exiting than usual.... came home with some good stories... no issues.

You know us Moms we worry!

Of course we worry and are concerned, but our adult children are off doing their own thing.

That's a nice itinerary; I'm sure they are having a blast. Please don't worry. There is nothing you can do anyway. Seriously - as hard as that is for any Mom to hear, it's true.

The southern route is one of the calmest seas you can get on a cruise ship. They do get hurricanes occasionally, but not as often as the more popular northern routes.

Also, if the seas do happen to be rough, she's on a very port intensive cruise which means she's off the ship almost every day, for a lot of hours. All the islands she's visiting are very close to each other, and the ships don't have to sail very far from land to get from one to the next.

If someone says there are "rough seas" in the southern Caribbean, ask them if it's in comparison to "rough seas" in general on the ocean, or "rough seas" as it pertains to the southern Caribbean. The water down there (when there's no hurricane) is like glass, no waves anywhere. She's probably just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The southern route is one of the calmest seas you can get on a cruise ship. They do get hurricanes occasionally, but not as often as the more popular northern routes.

Also, if the seas do happen to be rough, she's on a very port intensive cruise which means she's off the ship almost every day, for a lot of hours. All the islands she's visiting are very close to each other, and the ships don't have to sail very far from land to get from one to the next.

If someone says there are "rough seas" in the southern Caribbean, ask them if it's in comparison to "rough seas" in general on the ocean, or "rough seas" as it pertains to the southern Caribbean. The water down there (when there's no hurricane) is like glass, no waves anywhere. She's probably just fine.

I'm guessing you haven't looked at a weather map of that area today.

I'm guessing you haven't looked at a weather map of that area today.

You would be correct, haha. I was just speaking in general, sounds like her daughter is unfortunately caught in a rare bad weather storm. That sucks :( For the most part, you're generally safer booking the southern route if rough seas and bad weather are a concern, but not this week I guess.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I don't understand. Tell your daughter WHAT? You also said 8/30. Did you mean 7/30?

You sound like my mother before she passed. She worried about me, and every little thing. She's even called the ship to see if I was OK :eek: I'm sure your daughter is fine and having the time of her life. Breathe and have a glass of wine on this beautiful afternoon. :)

BTW, I was 50 at the time and traveling with my DH. Just chill..............Mom!! :)

Yeah, pretty sure if she's onboard she knows what the weather conditions are. Telling her isn't going to change it.

Now, if we were talking a literal child and the adult mom who was going to cancel a vacation because of weather, that would be another discussion all together...

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:374485/mmsi:311263000/imo:9167227/vessel:ADVENTURE_OF_THE_SEAS

This website shows a great deal of information. Your such a kind and loving person, all moms should be like this. I hope that this will help you sleep better tonight, knowing that she is safe and heading to her next destination with wonderful memories and stories to tell when she returns.