A Princess Cays Mystery!

caribbean2000

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I am the person who started this thread 10 years ago (!). I have returned to PC many times since and as I fish my way down the coast - being sure to return to the beach area so I don't miss the luncheon (!!) - I always stop at the grave sites. Sadly, they have all but disappeared and the headstones are impossible to read now. I wonder if Hurricane Matthew will be the final blow (no pun intended)?

Gene and Kathy from Cape Cod

• 2 weeks later...

I will be there soon...Dec 5th...My name is Wendy and I am a photographer and would love to find the area...I just want to know that if I am off the ship and standing at the beach area facing the water, should I go to my left or right...is there a marker I can look for that will point me in the right direction...thank you

As you face the water, walk to your left. At the point you will come to the very rocky area - be sure to wear sandals or sneakers. After you make it around the point, continue walking down the beach for about another half mile and you will come to the site.

I found this on page one. Maybe it will help?

I will be there soon...Dec 5th...My name is Wendy and I am a photographer and would love to find the area...I just want to know that if I am off the ship and standing at the beach area facing the water, should I go to my left or right...is there a marker I can look for that will point me in the right direction...thank you

Looking forward to seeing your pictures. We were going to do the hike the last time we were at Princess Keys, but my wife had a foot issue. If there is anything left, maybe next time.

When looking at the water with your back to the beach, go to the RIGHT (north). You will go along until you come around a point, to what is almost like a gentle cove. You will see a road up the embankment. Maybe 100 yards north along this road on the right side of the road (the water is on the left) you will see the derelict graveyard.

If you go to the left (south) you have about a 3 mile hike to Lighthouse Beach - but the beach is not accessible this way as sometimes there are small cliffs that are not traversable. If you want to do Lighthouse, either walk the main road or catch a tour through the cruise ship or thru Eleuthera Tours.

Kristel - I think you are talking about a different graveyard. As you stand on the beach at PC and face your ship, walk to the LEFT. It is a bit strenuous in places but it can be done. Quite a bit of large, broken coral and beware of slippery flat surfaces; good sandals or sneakers are a must. No need to walk all the way down to Lighthouse Beach, unless you want to of course.

• 3 months later...

Was there in late January 17.

Face beach, make right and walk for 20 min or so, use road behind beach for most of journey. You will be forced to go to the water line and there you will come upon a white sand beach, with 3 dead bleached out trees, that appear to be sentinels. Keep going, once again you will come to another white sand segment, with overturned pine trees with their gigantic root systems facing the ocean. You will then come upon another white sand part, and you will be there. Cant miss it really. If you walk far enough you cant miss it. There is only one grave stone standing, and the writing is worn off. There is stone walls around this part of the beach, remains of a settlement maybe. After reading about it, it was very cool to finally see it. I said a little prayer, placed a shell on the stone, and we walked away. I've seen another grave site walking down the other way, but its a hike and tricky to find. Took us about 45 minutes to get there. There is a bunch of graves three in a stone wall area. Great hiking, and didnt see any mosquitos.

Enjoy princess cays!

• 1 year later...

having lived on Eleuthera for a few years you will find graves in many different places. Gibson is a very common name on the Island as is Johnson, Pinder, Knowles, Culmer, Barrows and may others from the English colony times. As to one that may have worked for American Airlines. If they were a native Bahamian then the burial was okay if not no way.

As the person who started this thread a long time ago I think it's so amazing that there have been over 109,000 views. I visited the location about two years ago (before a couple of hurricanes hit the island) and there was very little left on the site. The images attached were from a visit to the site about 10 years ago. I still think - considering the ages of the ladies and how they were buried close together - this would make a great basis for a novel. I will certainly return to the site the next time we spend a day at Princess Cays. Hope to make it all the way to the end of the island next time, it is spectacular, beautiful and wild.

Mysterygrave1.jpg.d84df23b43c89329961a53bb9bf08bf9.jpg

Mysterygrave2.jpg.3c23a5d21ab08c3368f55c25309adc60.jpg

mysterygrave3.jpg.702c616ddc4219d706e7f89a5508a1b9.jpg

mysterygrave4.jpg.e4bc34262ed0cd1e6c63d84ed16a4ec0.jpg

Here is what was on the headstones back in 2005:

Mirtle Gibson

Born 1928

Died 1946

Olga McPhee

Born 1919

Died 1947

Thanks! I'd propose then shortening it to something like:

Mirtle Gibson

1928 - 1946

Olga McPhee

1919-1947

Have it etched onto a single piece - I'm thinking an engraved brick might work well? Here's to hoping that someone doesn't have a weight limit for their bags (*cough* premium cabin/frequent flyer) or is local? I'm allowed 2 bags at 70 lbs each on Delta, so I wouldn't be opposed to packing a literal brick if I am headed to Princess Cays this winter. Longshoremen will "love" me ;p

Added in Edit: Or looking at caribbean2000's pictures, it would be easy to make a concrete "stone" like what was there before and just hand write the names and dates in, which would be cheaper than a professionally etched piece. Could even do individual markers then without needing to find $100 for them....

Edit 2: I always enjoy checking boxes... packing 2 stones in a cardboard box would be easy, and then just dispose of the box for the trip home. Just an idea.........

caribbean2000, Gene, this is a wonderful thread. As you can see there is no disrespect about these 2 ladies. I've been fascinated reading this entire thread and seeing the pictures over the years. Sadly, these graves will probably eventually be lost in the sea. If I ever go to the Cays, I hope the graves are still there because I would like to take the walk and see the area. Thank you for creating this thread. It has made everyone think about these ladies, and wonder what their history was. I like the poem that was posted half way through, very thought provoking.

Thanks again- this is one of the best threads I've read.

I'll be there in December, I'm not opposed to doing something where we can stick in the ground near the graves so that it stands a better chance of surviving if another hurricane comes through and finally washes the graves away. Thoughts?

The walk to the grave sites has become a tradition with my family each time we visit, as it seems to be with many of you on this thread which is amazing. I love that we can all share this little mystery.

• 10 months later...

I was there last week and could only find Myrtle Gibson’s tombstone. It’s completely on the beach now with no vegetation near it. I couldn’t find the other tombstone.  I didn’t have my phone with me so I couldn’t take any pictures. I posted a video a few years ago.