Ocean Medallion?

Kate45

Can someone explain to me how this works? I get how it will open my cabin and that it can replace my ID card for embarking and disembarking, paying for onboard purchases etc. But anything else will required the Internet to use, will it not? Not every passenger is "elite". I will not be purchasing an Internet package so unless Princess is giving this for free...which I doubt...this will be unavailable for many passengers, right?

Can someone explain to me how this works? I get how it will open my cabin and that it can replace my ID card for embarking and disembarking, paying for onboard purchases etc. But anything else will required the Internet to use, will it not? Not every passenger is "elite". I will not be purchasing an Internet package so unless Princess is giving this for free...which I doubt...this will be unavailable for many passengers, right?

There is no connection between being able to use the internet and the ocean medallion. Some ships, Grand and soon to be Emerald have the new fast internet service and do not have the Ocean Medallion. The Ocean Medallion is a RFD device that basically replaced the cruise card. There is a support system to the Medallion that is planned to do all the things you mention.

The internet is as it always has been. There is a cost to purchase access. Platinum and Elite Captain's Circle members receive some free internet. On most ships you purchase minutes and use them either on your own device or on one on the internet cafe's PC's. The difference with the internet is that Princess is rolling out PrincessCONNECT, a faster unlimited internet service. This service is not available on all Princess ships. PrincessConnect has 3 plans with different internet access and cost, Premium, Surf, & Social. For example the pre-purchase cost of the Surf Package for a 15 day cruise is $139.99. Some ships have both the PrincessCONNECT plans and the by-the-minute plans.

As stated above, no Internet access required to use the Medallion. If you have a smart phone, tablet, or laptop you can use those to interact with Medallion services. You can use public screens throughout the ship. It was also "supposed" to be accessible via a screen (TV?) in your cabin. Medallion services (when they are finally available and fully activated) are free to use for every passenger.

Which ship? MedallionNet is not on all ships. I just came off a month on the Caribbean Princess and had several meetings with John Padgett from the Carnival Corp and his team about the Medallion and MedallionNet so I might be able to help if I knew the ship.

Deb:

Did John Padgett mention if Sky is going to be ***** active from the get-go or will she be at the bottom of the list for activation?

Thanks! (PS enjoyed the blog!)

Deb:

Did John Padgett mention if Sky is going to be ***** active from the get-go or will she be at the bottom of the list for activation?

Thanks! (PS enjoyed the blog!)

Sky Princess will have Ocean Medallion built in. Why would they retrofit a ship that is being built?