Baseball caps in the dining room

I've read all the discussions about appropriate dress for the dining room...what is suggested and what is expected. My pet peeve is to see someone sit down to dinner with a hat on their head. Have you ever seen this in the ships dining room? Would you say somthing about it or ignore it? If they wouldn't remove their hat would you leave the table?

Thanks for your opinions.

I've read all the discussions about appropriate dress for the dining room...what is suggested and what is expected. My pet peeve is to see someone sit down to dinner with a hat on their head. Have you ever seen this in the ships dining room? Would you say somthing about it or ignore it? If they wouldn't remove their hat would you leave the table?

I saw it on the Mariner in May on multiple people. They were asked to remove it at the entrance to the dining room.

I probably would not say anything, although it is the height of bad manners. :rolleyes: A gentleman should always remove his hat. Hopefully, he would not be at our table... :eek: :eek:

In general I do not recall any. But since we usually preplan who we sit with ( either we sail with friends or meet people on our M&M roll call) it is not an issue. I do not pay a whole lot of attention to the other tables, unless we know someone on them.

We saw this while on the Freedom of the Seas. We also saw it last Sunday in church (barf).

When one teaches children manners they often come back to haunt: once while in Disney World's Epcot we ate at an open air establishment. I told our young teenage son to keep his hat on so it wouldn't get lost. To my astonishment he replied, "Dad, I can't do that, we are in a restaurant." I guess his mom taught him his manners, not me.

Please, no hats in the dining room!!!!

My opinion is that gentlemen don't wear hats indoors. That includes baseball caps. Unfortunately some kids haven't been taught this.

I don't think I would leave the table if a man was wearing a baseball cap, but I might think that he is lacking in the area of manners. I would think even less of him if he left his cap on during the National Anthem (or prayers in a church).

but my dd (8) would...and I wouldn't stop her. I went to catholic school my entire life - if any of the boys wore a hat indoors the nuns would take it off of their head and hit them with it. They learned pretty fast.

Kathy

I can't agree with you more!! ;) How hard is it to dress nicely & appropriately for dinner? Some people may wear tank shirts and hats to their own dinner table, but on a cruise? Oh brother. :rolleyes:

And yes, I did see it once. A whole table of 10 in the center of the dining room on casual night - the men were wearing swim trunks, tank shirts and baseball hats. The waiter asked them to remove their hats, which they did. They were uproariously loud too. :rolleyes:

Some of the ships they have been very strict, we saw them turn away people in jeans and in shorts.

They didn't have to on the Brilliance as everyone was dressed to the nines every night but this is the sign in front of the dining room

IMG_1161.jpg

OMG Here we go , why does it bother people or affect your cruise experiece on what other people wear. As a cancer survivor, how do you know they are not wearing a hat because they have lost their hair because of Chemo. I realize the people you are talking about probably do not have cancer, but really who the hell cares. Can somebody explain to me why somebody at the next table in a pair of jeans or hat would ruin your dinner . You know I"m just glad to be alive and able to cruise.

OMG Here we go , why does it bother people or affect your cruise experiece on what other people wear. As a cancer survivor, how do you know they are not wearing a hat because they have lost their hair because of Chemo. I realize the people you are talking about probably do not have cancer, but really who the hell cares. Can somebody explain to me why somebody at the next table in a pair of jeans or hat would ruin your dinner . You know I"m just glad to be alive and able to cruise.

Because manner are manners know matter where you are...at least they should be.

I've seen staff in the dining room politely invite people to remove their hats, but yes, I've seen baseball hats. I saw staff in the WJ do the same.

Fran in Toronto

Some of the ships they have been very strict, we saw them turn away people in jeans and in shorts.

They didn't have to on the Brilliance as everyone was dressed to the nines every night

It was on the Brilliance we saw people asked to remove hats. No shorts were allowed either.

Fran in Toronto

Because manner are manners know matter where you are...at least they should be.

A quick check with wikipedia confirms that manners is a behavior issue. I agree that how we dress would be an etiquette issue but this still does not explain how a person wearing a ball cap would ruin your cruise. Life is too short for me to worry about what somebody else is wearing.

A quick check with wikipedia confirms that manners is a behavior issue. I agree that how we dress would be an etiquet issue but this still does not explain how a person wearing a ball cap would ruin your cruise. Life is too short for me to worry about what somebody else is wearing.

Would it ruin my cruise, absolutely NOT! But was I thrilled when they turned away the group in front of us dressed in jeans and shorts. OH YEA!!!!!

And as a wife of a cancer survivor, no hats here....bald is beautiful!!!!

A quick check with wikipedia confirms that manners is a behavior issue. I agree that how we dress would be an etiquet issue but this still does not explain how a person wearing a ball cap would ruin your cruise. Life is too short for me to worry about what somebody else is wearing.

I don't think anyone is worried. But it is an interesting question - why would someone who is clearly uncomfortable with dressing up want to go eat in a dining room where it is expected that there is a dress code? Knowingly? Doing it to be obnoxious? Demonstrating what they think is independent thinking?

Fran in Toronto

I totally agree w/no hats in the dinning room, but how do you feel about them in the Windjammer during the day? :confused: I wear a baseball cap out by the pool, but should I take it off for lunch? I hate hat hair!!

During the day you will see everything in the windjammer, coverups over bathing suits, hats etc. Dinner is the dining room is a different matter.

I don't think anyone is worried. But it is an interesting question - why would someone who is clearly uncomfortable with dressing up want to go eat in a dining room where it is expected that there is a dress code? Knowingly? Doing it to be obnoxious? Demonstrating what they think is independent thinking?

Fran in Toronto

IMHO for the food, The buffet is not near as good as the dining room and they paid the same as any one else .

Archived