~ My First Carnival Past Guest Pin ~

joebat1

My First Past Guest Pin  

147 members have voted

1. 1. My First Past Guest Pin

Do you remember the ship you received your first Carnival Past guest pin ??

I know of the Festivale and Tropicale undated. Does anyone have any of the earlier retired ocean liners... Madi Gras.etc.??

Don't believe CCL ever had a ocean liner in their fleet.:D I do have a pin from SS Norway.

Don't believe CCL ever had a ocean liner in their fleet.:D I do have a pin from SS Norway.

All three of Carnival's first ships were converted ocean liners.

The TSS Mardi Gras began service as the Empress of Canada. On April 24, 1961, she departed on her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Canada. Due to air travel becoming the preferred means of travel, Canadian Pacific decided to operate her only during the summer months, and for the rest of the year place her on cruise duties. Her first cruise was a Caribbean cruise, which departed New York in December 1961. With the number of summer Atlantic crossings reduced rapidly, until only seven crossings in 1969. In 1968 she received a bright new funnel design, which Carnival Cruise Lines would later use as their symbol, although somewhat revised.

After her 121st Atlantic crossing in November 1971, it was decided to place her on the market. Empress of Canada was sold to Carnival Cruise Lines in February 1972, and was renamed the Mardi Gras. She was Carnival’s first ship.

The TSS Carnivale was built in the United Kingdom in 1956. She entered service as Empress of Britian. She was Britain's first fully air-conditioned liner. Initially running on the North Atlantic from Liverpool, she ran her first winter Caribbean cruise from New York in January 1960. Her final Atlantic voyage was number 123, completed in October 1963, only seven years after her maiden voyage. Carnival Cruise Lines bought her in the early 70’s as their second ship, renaming her Carnivale.

The TSS Festivale began service as the Transvaal Castle was launched in 1961 by John Brown & Co, Clydebank. She was delivered to Union-Castle Line, and served on their route to South Africa from Southampton from 1962. She remained in Union-Castle colors only until 1966, when she was transferred to the South African Marine Corp (UK), remaining on the same service under the British flag, with Union-Castle crew and management as S.A.Vaal. In 1969 she was transferred to the South African flag.

S.A.Vaal was withdrawn in Southampton on October 10th, 1977 and sold to Carnival Cruise Line, who rebuilt her in Japan with extra decks, almost doubling the passenger capacity. The external appearance was not spoiled, however, and she has remained the handsome ship of Union-Castle days. She returned to service in 1978 as Festivale.

The MS Tropicale was Carnival's first purpose built cruising ship.

• 4 months later...

Archived