Paul Gauguin vs Crystal?

haikou

PG is offering a 7 day cruise on October 30 including airfare to the south pacific/society islands that crystal cant begin t touch price wise on its world cruise segments next year.has anyone ever sailed on both lines?I am a crystal alum but am curious abour the Paul Gauguin line now

The real question is do you want to dress up in a tuxedo and gown while sailing through the Seas or do you want to experience them close up in casual dress? If your goal is to actually experience the area I'd opt for Paul Gauguin. If you prefer the Crystal experience the choice is clear.

I'm not sure solos are very prevalent on the PG. Lots of happy couples in a very romantic area. It's a lovely ship, and a great itinerary, but for a solo? I'm not so sure.

I've cruised several times on smaller ships such as Navigator, Voyager of Regent and the Diamond on the old RSSC and Seabourn Legend/Pride/Spirit and the Silver Cloud and Silver Wind of Silversea and I think solos do much better on those ships than on PG. I've actually felt very welcomed as a solo on ALL those ships. I may be wrong with my impression, but everyone I've known who's been on PG, and that's about 30 people, have said that the PG seemed a lot like a honeymoon cruise for couples.

As for the World Cruise segments, of course they're more expensive because they're a lot longer than 7 days and world cruises are inherently more expensive regardless of what cruise line.

We have been on the PG and did not find it to be it only for honeymooners. The experience is very authentic Tahitian -- I cannot imagine any other ship being able to capture the essence of the area. IMO, the PG is the only way to visit the islands of Tahiti (note: although I am a Regent loyalist, I would not take Regent over the PG).

We have been on the PG and did not find it to be it only for honeymooners. The experience is very authentic Tahitian -- I cannot imagine any other ship being able to capture the essence of the area. IMO, the PG is the only way to visit the islands of Tahiti (note: although I am a Regent loyalist, I would not take Regent over the PG).

Wasn't the PG part of Regent until recently? Wasn't it a Regent ship when you sailed it? Has it "changed" since it's no longer a Regent ship?

The OP has posted several times on the Crystal board that she wants to only be seated at tables with other singles, that she is not comfortable with couples at dinner. Wondering if there would be enough other singles on a PG cruise. I've certainly "heard" that it's mostly honeymooners and other couples.

Wasn't the PG part of Regent until recently? Wasn't it a Regent ship when you sailed it? Has it "changed" since it's no longer a Regent ship?

The OP has posted several times on the Crystal board that she wants to only be seated at tables with other singles, that she is not comfortable with couples at dinner. Wondering if there would be enough other singles on a PG cruise. I've certainly "heard" that it's mostly honeymooners and other couples.

If I may be so bold, I think what TC2 means is that the PG is/was a different experience than the other Regent ships and there are sometimes voyages on other Regent ships (world cruise, ring of fire) that include the territory that the PG cruises, just as the Crystal ship goes through those areas on its world cruise. The PG would be a different, and she believes a superior, experience than on other Regent ships.

Yes -- the PG was managed by Regent until this year. Reviews on the PG website indicate that the food and service are at least as good as they were before. hoosier74 understood why I was recommending the PG over any other cruise ship that sails the waters of French Polynesia. One thing I failed to mention is that the PG was built to sail specifically in these waters -- many of the areas quite shallow. Therefore, she can sail in areas where none of the larger ships can.

Here is a link to the Paul Gauguin board on CC http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=627 . This is probably the best area to ask questions about single travelers. I know that the time of the year you sail will make a difference in terms of the make-up of the passengers.

Again, I'd have to ask what the OP's primary objective is. If it's to experience the South Pacific up close and get to know the various islands then the PG is really the only way to go. If it's to go on a cruise and get what you are used to then Crystal is the better way. PG is open seating and I'm sure if one has a word with the maitre d' he will seat you with other singles and like minded people, and you will meet them on your own.

and I am open to meeting all sortsof people but hate to feel like the 3rd wheel at a table whehre everyone else is with a significant other.I am simply trying t avoid that.I eat by myself in the morning no problem and have had others joine me from time to time.If PG is more casual it might be a different dining experience as well :)

I know that the time of the year you sail will make a difference in terms of the make-up of the passengers.
I assume (dangerous I know) that summer & holiday sailings may attract more families or younger folks. Beyond that, are there other differences? I'll also ask on the PG Forum. Thanks.

I assume (dangerous I know) that summer & holiday sailings may attract more families or younger folks. Beyond that, are there other differences? I'll also ask on the PG Forum. Thanks.

Very good assumption:) Actually, the weather doesn't necessarily cooperate unless you go there in April/May/early June/ mid-Sept. (avoiding summer holiday). The hot and rainy season is Oct/Nov - Feb/Mar. While the rain isn't that heavy, it is quite warm and humid. If I were going there again, I'd pick mid-May. We typically travel in May and find a nice variety of ages with few, if any children.

We cruised on both and each has it's strong and weak points. We always travel as a couple so I can't relate to being solo, but I can comment about the services. I agree with several who already mentioned the formal vs. relaxed attire. To us, Crystal had many things to do that were "structured" while PG had the relaxed charm of the area. Personally now that I have been there, rented cars on several islands and been on tours, I wouldn't return to Tahiti, but I do like the H.I., none-the-less it's still a taste of paradise that we don't have here in TN. We went in May and the weather was awesome, but I have read about mosquitoes and humidity that are difficult many times of the year, you may want to research that for the October time frame.

My wife loved the full service of Regent (free drinks! :p) and I liked the variety of restaurants on PG, but we preferred the food on Crystal. I enjoyed the seminars on Crystal, but she loved the swimming in Tahiti. She and I both agree that the private island that PG has was the best on shore day of the many cruises we have been on. First time I had a Piña Colada in a real coconut shell.

I just wish I had the chance to make the choice - no, on second thought I'd be looking for help too.......:eek:

Archived