3 people in one room? (Spirit)

Lizstar319

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice here. We're planning a July 2012 cruise to Alaska...ideally we will have even numbers so we can keep it to 2 people in a room (all adults, all women - would definitely be preferable!) As it stands right now, though, we are uneven. My mom, sister and I have discussed the 3 of us going into a room together, but I wasn't quite sure how that works. We're willing to pay the price for a suite, if it means we'll all have a bed...but don't want one person to pay the same to sleep on a sofa all week, that seems a bit unfair.

Can anyone give me some guidance on what type of rooms would accomodate 3 of us, and how we go about requesting them, if they're a very specific type?

On a related note - I was also mulling over the idea of just going ahead and booking the 3 separate staterooms (for 6 people total)...but I have a feeling we absolutely need to have all the names straight on who is staying in what room. Can anyone confirm this? Basically, it's a mix of friends and family. So at this point, depending on who our 6th potential person is, I could be rooming with my mom...or my sister could be rooming with my mom...or my mom and a friend could room together, and my sister and I. I've seen fine print about no name changes, but wasn't sure exactly if that applied here.

Thanks for any advice!

Liz

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice here. We're planning a July 2012 cruise to Alaska...ideally we will have even numbers so we can keep it to 2 people in a room (all adults, all women - would definitely be preferable!) As it stands right now, though, we are uneven. My mom, sister and I have discussed the 3 of us going into a room together, but I wasn't quite sure how that works. We're willing to pay the price for a suite, if it means we'll all have a bed...but don't want one person to pay the same to sleep on a sofa all week, that seems a bit unfair.

Can anyone give me some guidance on what type of rooms would accomodate 3 of us, and how we go about requesting them, if they're a very specific type?

On a related note - I was also mulling over the idea of just going ahead and booking the 3 separate staterooms (for 6 people total)...but I have a feeling we absolutely need to have all the names straight on who is staying in what room. Can anyone confirm this? Basically, it's a mix of friends and family. So at this point, depending on who our 6th potential person is, I could be rooming with my mom...or my sister could be rooming with my mom...or my mom and a friend could room together, and my sister and I. I've seen fine print about no name changes, but wasn't sure exactly if that applied here.

Thanks for any advice!

Liz

First of all, congrats on your first post and welcome to CC. It makes a deifference in the answer as to what kind of room you book (in regards to having 3 people in a room). For Early saver names changes (you did not mention what rate you are booking under) the name change fee applies no matter what the reason.

No name changes applies to booking early saver rate. You do need a name on the reservation and to change the name is $50 fee I think. I am not sure on the rules for that so you are better off talking to someone at Carnival or a TA.

As for the bedding, 3rd & 4th guests get a sofa sleeper, drop down bed from the wall or ceiling or a cot. Not ideal for the 3rd guest. Some say the sofa & drop down beds are comfy but I've never slept in one to know. I know my son complained once about the sofa & he was right as it was hard as a rock but I don't think they were all that way. This was our configuration on the Pride (sister ship) for 4 people.

2113104510040669306S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks, Jimbo! I've been lurking around here for a while, and finally decided to post :) Just came off the Magic in the Western Med a few weeks ago and loved it.

We're willing to book at a higher class or category if it means all 3 of us can be equally accomodated - I saw a great rate on an Ocean Suite, but it becomes less great if one person is sleeping on the sofa, you know? I guess my question, more specifically, is: What categories/room types CAN accomodate 3 equally? We definitely will book no less than a balcony, especially on an Alaskan itinerary...but are willing to go higher (oh, the horrors ;))

As for name changes - we'll most likely be booking an early saver rate (not sure if my past guest status matters at all)...do you happen to know what the Name Change fee is? We'd probably be willing to pay something as long as it all works out in the end :)

Thanks, AZ Karaoke Girl! That does sound less than ideal...sounds like we should stick with the original plan of finding a 6th person. I'd love for one of my mom's friends to come - otherwise she'll be stuck with me (32), my cousin, best friend (both also 32) and sister (35). She likes us all, and we'll have a blast, but it would be nice for her to have someone she can hang out with when she gets sick of us!

Thanks, Jimbo! I've been lurking around here for a while, and finally decided to post :) Just came off the Magic in the Western Med a few weeks ago and loved it.

We're willing to book at a higher class or category if it means all 3 of us can be equally accomodated - I saw a great rate on an Ocean Suite, but it becomes less great if one person is sleeping on the sofa, you know? I guess my question, more specifically, is: What categories/room types CAN accomodate 3 equally? We definitely will book no less than a balcony, especially on an Alaskan itinerary...but are willing to go higher (oh, the horrors ;))

As for name changes - we'll most likely be booking an early saver rate (not sure if my past guest status matters at all)...do you happen to know what the Name Change fee is? We'd probably be willing to pay something as long as it all works out in the end :)

NO NAME CHANGES allowed with ES. the only exception is a $50 fee to change the spelling on your own name. You cannot change one pax for another with ES. Not unless you pay to cancel the whole booking and then rebook which is complicated to get the rest of the future credit applied, and the person who doesnt rebook still has the credit in their own name.

ALL fares except Early Saver have a $50 name change fee where you can change out the pax even up to the last minute.

If you book three rooms as solos you will pay 200% for each room. Even if you book early saver you can add a person and only have to pay the additional taxes. There is no additional cost to add the additional person. I was booked solo on the Glory in September and about 2 weeks before the cruise I added someone and only had to pay the additional taxes.

If you are not able to get another person in each room, if you book early saver, it would cost you to cancel the room or you would each have your own room. If you are not booked early saver you would have up until final payment is due to cancel and get your money back.

Just tell your TA or PVP what you are wanting to do and make sure you understand all the terms of the fare you book.

NO NAME CHANGES allowed with ES. the only exception is a $50 fee to change the spelling on your own name. You cannot change one pax for another with ES. Not unless you pay to cancel the whole booking and then rebook which is complicated to get the rest of the future credit applied, and the person who doesnt rebook still has the credit in their own name.

ALL fares except Early Saver have a $50 name change fee where you can change out the pax even up to the last minute.

Ah, good to know. Yeah, it's looking more and more like we'll have to focus on finding a 6th.

You can book the cabins with whatever names and then change onboard. Use this to your advantage. If some have cruised before- put them in different rooms. If some are older the 55, put them in separate rooms. Once on board you'll have to go Customer Service (all of you) and get your key cards/sign n travel cards switched around so you have the keys to the right room. And you can't just swap because your charges are made using the same card.

As far as the beds- we have found the sofas to be comfortable. In fact on one of my cruises my bed was so uncomfortable that I preferred the sofa.

ALL cabins will have two beds. the third person will sleep on the convertible sofa or the upper bed.

Yes, even suites.

On a cruise-- sleeping is secondary- you will be out of your cabin more then being inside.

FOr the 3 of you-- may I suggest 6232 just for the awesome balocny.

http://www.travelingnuts.com/2011cruise/images/DSCN0188.JPG

We usually cruise with 3 females, and my one daughter always opts for the sofa-bed. She says it is quite comfortable, and then gets the extra drawers underneath. Never a problem with bathrooms, or storage.

I agree that you can book anyway, and switch rooms about once you board. There are special rates for over 55, past cruisers, and certain states. If one in a cabin gets that rate, everyone does. Just spread out the people who are entitled to special rates, so everyone benefits, and switch once on-board.

Hi all,

Thanks for any advice!

Liz

We love the "spirit" class ships, and have sailed on the Miracle (3x) and Pride (1x).

For our March 2010 and November 2011 cruise, we booked 6279, which is a 9B (Premium Balcony). A larger room, not quite a suite, with a long and extended balcony. There aren't very many 9B's aboard, so if that's your choice of cabin type, book early !

I've attached some photo's so you can get a good idea of the room.

407706313_Kathys03-2010031.jpg.0ad2cbf95ee7dfe673d7ce1d4e8a2845.jpg

838634698_Kathys03-2010034.jpg.77de84eeb8ffd6ad28c683caf4c117bc.jpg

1612737247_Kathys03-2010039.jpg.d744670c381b535d77af059a8ea46907.jpg

2032459800_Kathys03-2010045.jpg.aee48b7e1a6ba0018107532a139e1628.jpg

Spirit class are the best.... we've just booked our third on this class, second on the miracle...

three adults will be find in a suite... and the couch that turns into a bed is actually amazingly comfortable... we sail in an ocean suite, two adults, a man sized teenage boy, and then my seven year old daughter, and its large enough for all of our stuff, plus the dressing area and huge bathroom are big positives... there are links to my pictures, both the pride and miracle are ocean suites, the sensation was a grand suite, that i shared with my parents and daughter, and i slept on the couch bed, and it was almost as comfortable as my bed at home.

hope this helps!!!

Just had an ocean suite on the spirit in Aug. --2 beds and a pull down. One of my girls (grown) sleeps on the pull down and says it is not bad. In our party we also had the vista suite and all of us agreed the configuration of that room made it less comfy for 3 and the OS was much more suited to 3.

We had 3 ladies in our cabin. At first we all agreed to take turns sleeping on the sofa to make it fair. I had it the first night and loved it...so I kept it. :D It was so comfortable and had much more room to move around than the beds.

Archived