Just Back from Alaska, ex Zuiderdam

popcan

We have just returned home after cruising the Zuiderdam to Alaska. This was the 7 day Inside Passage Sept 15 - 22.

Overall, it was a great cruise, and we lucked out on the weather again! It was mostly sunny for our entire trip, especially Glacier Bay and Ketchikan, where we were in shorts and t- shirts in about 72 degree temps!

The ship itself was fine, no glaring malfunctions as mentioned from previous cruisers, so the A/ C and plumbing seem to be ok now.

All the food was very good, we thought.

We primarily ate our dinners in the MDR, with one special lunch in the Pinnacle. We enjoyed open seating, as we like to remain flexible time-wise, and like to meet new people at dinner.

Lunch in the Lido most of the time, and breakfast too. We always meant to have a breakfast in the Pinnacle, but didn't make it. Next time! We kept getting waylaid by the excellent salmon treats in the Neptune haha! My wife says all the fruit was miles better in the Neptune than anywhere else on the ship.

The Z is a bit bigger than the last ship we cruised Alaska with (Volendam), and that made a difference. We didn't sail into Tracy arm or get close to Johns Hopkins Glacier like our previous trip on the Volendam. Still very impressive, though I would recommend taking a smaller ship to Alaska, and also choose the mid-week departure. The port stops are Waaaay busier on the weekend departure. At least 4 other ships will be in port, which makes it a crush on the streets.

We rented a car in Skagway and drove up the Klondike Highway to Emerald lake and back. Incredible scenery! We had a bonus sighting of Dalls Sheep on a mountainside, which we watched for half an hour or so. We were late in the season for bear sightings I think. Carcross has excellent cinnamon buns!

We should have gone on to Whitehorse, only 40 miles more... In retrospect.

If you want to do this self excursion, rent your car ahead of time on line. A very seamless way of doing it, plus they sell out of cars quickly. Take binoculars and camera! You will love this easy drive.

Allow 5 hours return, as you will stop frequently for photos.

A very good cruise overall, even though there were a few small glitches here and there. Nothing that would put me off HAL again.

I will have new pictures soon, on my website: http://www.warrenlowe.com

It is still under development, so check back from time to time.

Next up, Panama in March 2013!

I agree. It was a wonderful cruise and we could not have asked for better weather.

The trip to Yukon was amazing with all the golden and yellow fall colours...

Great service and food. The team (Paolo and Mina) at the Neptune lounge were exceptional.

We really enjoyed the Zuiderdam.

Your weather was certainly a turn for the better. Our friends just returned a couple weeks back from the Volendam and it rained on them just about everywhere. We were on the Zuiderdam back the first week of June and had wonderful weather in every port. That's why you should just plan on going to Alaska multiple times as you're bound to have some good and some not-so-good weather.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Glad you had a great time! Your photos are beautiful.

About the Tracy Arm, I'm not sure that size is a major factor in which ship goes in. The Volendam no longer includes it as part of the itinerary either (except the excursion) but the Oosterdam was sailing in all season. One of the NCL ships did as well, and it is definitely larger than Volendam. We also encountered the Celebrity Infinity on its way out as we were heading in. It's a bit disappointing that it's no longer part of the Inside Passage itinerary, but at least the exursion is still an option. It was worth it!

About the Tracy Arm, I'm not sure that size is a major factor in which ship goes in. The Volendam no longer includes it as part of the itinerary either (except the excursion) but the Oosterdam was sailing in all season. One of the NCL ships did as well, and it is definitely larger than Volendam. We also encountered the Celebrity Infinity on its way out as we were heading in.

Thanks very much for that info! I didn't know that.

We will keep that in mind for next time.

Archived