Sitka or Skagway?

Mim02

If I were to choose an Alaska cruise from Seattle, it looks like all cruise lines offer pretty much the same itiniary with the main difference a stop in Sitka or Skagway. Which would you choose?

That's a tough one because they are both great ports, depending on your interests. Also, which glacier would be your scenic sailing day? Also what time of the year are you going? Glacier Bay is my favorite glacier sailing experience. Others like Hubbard better. If going early in the season, Hubbard could be iced out...you just never know. Glacier Bay does not have that problem. Some cruises go to Tracy Arm. This is a beautiful scenic area, but once again, if going too early and the fjord is icy, you may not get to the end of the fjord to see the glaciers. Although some itineraries look similar, in reality they can have significant differences. I suggest you post the itineraries for comments.

Here is some info on Skagway and Sitka:

http://www.sitka.org/

http://skagway.com/

Given that all other factors are equal - ie you are seeing the same glaciers and the other ports and times are the same you will have to look at how your interestes fit into the two ports.

Skagway is full of gold rush history (if you ignore the tourist stuff). There is the White Pass RR and other available tours into the Yukon. Here is a link to a site that tells what there is to do in Skagway http://cruiseportinsider.com/skagway.html

Sitka was a Russian settlement and retains lots of that history. Since not every cruise ship goes there it is less touristy. The same website does not cover Sitka - sorry.

On paper Sitka sounds better than Skagway to me (as in: there is little to do in Skagway compared to other destinations), but we really enjoyed Skagway. Even the touristy downtown has a Disneyland-type feel, we had a full day around Skagway, even without taking the train or going to the Dyea.

Another thing to bear in mind is that Skagway is very well sheltered from rough seas and ships are able to dock at the wharf so you can walk off the ship. Sitka is a tender port and can be affected by bad weather to the extent that tendering is impossible so missing the port altogether is always a risk. Having said that our visit to Sitka in July was during a flat calm so we had no problem getting ashore. As usual with Alaska, you just never know.

If this is your first Alaska cruise, I'd vote for Skagway and doing the White Pass RR. That being said, I love Sitka and excursions where you get out on the water. I'll never forget my day with the otters in Sitka. As others have said, be sure to compare times in ports and glacier experiences.

Which ever one you pick you are missing the other. BOTH are excellent, and I never would claim one "better" that the other. Simply not true. :)

Instead, really find out about each one, and the differences. Take a look at shore excursion lists and find out what each port can offer you.

Good luck with the decision, you're in for a great time. :)

Now I have to come clean. I have cruised to Alaska before on the Oosterdam. We visited Sitka and I really loved it there. A beautiful little town. I just wanted to get the opinions of you others who have been to both before deciding on an itinerary,

Two cruises, both on the "O". Don't know whether to stick with Hal or try another cruiseline. So many decisions.

Now I have to come clean. I have cruised to Alaska before on the Oosterdam. We visited Sitka and I really loved it there. A beautiful little town. I just wanted to get the opinions of you others who have been to both before deciding on an itinerary,

Two cruises, both on the "O". Don't know whether to stick with Hal or try another cruiseline. So many decisions.

I would suggest going to Skagway since you haven't been there yet. I would also choose a cruise that will go to a different glacier than you saw last time. If that means going on a different cruiseline, that is what I would do. JMHO

Archived