Anyone get banned and allowed back

sea_u_onboard

Not me (thank goodness - I would probably have a heart attack).

Had a co-worker approach me today. He is planning a family cruise - 10 people, 5 cabins. They are having some great pricing for Texas residents out of Galveston so he's thinking this would be a great family vacation. He gets all the information and he's so excited to tell his family. His daughter breaks it to him that 3 years ago when she was on a Carnival cruise with her friends she got busted for drinking under age (3 months before her 21st birthday). She said she was taken to a room where they had her fill out paperwork and told her she was banned from returning.

So I call my agent at Carnival to ask if there was a list and if he could check and see if her name is on it. He informs me that a list does exist but the agents do not have access. All he can do is book the cabins and allow the booking to go through the system. After 24 to 48 hours if she is on the list it will cancel all the cabins and refund him his money. Regardless the booking has a refundable deposit and is outside penalty period, so there is no concerns about the deposit not being refunded.

Has anyone ever been banned and allowed to return?

He was really looking forward to the cruise and now may have to pay more to go on another line.

Doesnt seem like they have a reason to ban her for life.

See I think the same thing, so the only thing I can think of is she might have left a detail out? Could drugs have been involved (please note I am NOT saying she had drugs, it only takes one in the group to get everyone in trouble).

I am actually trying to think of what can get you banned for life. Drugs I can understand, I guess stealing, harassing a staff person?

See I think the same thing, so the only thing I can think of is she might have left a detail out? Could drugs have been involved (please note I am NOT saying she had drugs, it only takes one in the group to get everyone in trouble).

I am actually trying to think of what can get you banned for life. Drugs I can understand, I guess stealing, harassing a staff person?

While speaking to another friend we also thought that could be the scenario.

The other thing (that he's hoping is the situation) is maybe they were banning her until she came of age (21). Not sure if there is an appeal process if she is denied.

I'm not sure what he is going to do. The agent said he could get them all together on the same deck (they wanted one balcony, the rest insides). I threw out the fact that this was 5 cabins and her father was coming.

Boy - haven't heard of this. I'm surprised the dad was never told. They might be able to explain that this time it will be family. It it gets cancelled after booking you might want to talk to John Heald.

She was 20 at the time and her dad wasn't on board with her so she probably figured he would never find out. That's why I am skeptical about the reason (not implying anything as I don't know the young lady) since that does seem harsh for underage drinking (which I have seen plenty of). Of course, she could have been drunk and did something she wasn't supposed to be doing??

Like I said - I'm not sure if he is even going to try and book. The original plan was for just him and his new wife (2nd marriage) but they decided to take their kids and allow each to bring a friend.

Edited by sea_u_onboard

I know a few kids that got caught drinking under age. They were slapped on the hand and esntoin their way. 2 were extremely intoxicated and couldnt walk. Security had to walk them to their Cabin and contact their parents. All on Carnival but 3 different ships. I think you are not being told the entire story.

Interesting. If it were a case of underage drinking only, I'd book it and see what happens. I'd also warn the little darlin' about how many vacations would be in jeopardy if she's not telling the whole story. But then, you could run into the parent that thinks their child wasn't really THAT bad and that's a whole other problem.

Anyone who has raised kids knows it gets dicey between 18 and 21 but I also can't see them banning her for life for underage drinking.

Woops. I didn't think it was possible to be banned for under age drinking, but it seems (at least on Royal) you can be.

http://www.thetravelmagazine.net/i-2730--cruise-ship-how-to-get-banned.html

Royal Caribbean (along with sister companies Celebrity Cruises and Azamara) has put into place one of the industry's most concrete procedures and processes as related to its "no sail" list. First, it established a "guest conduct policy" that identifies specific behaviors it considers worthy of "no sail" potential. These, available in every passenger cabin on its ships, include but are not limited to harassment, solicitation, underage drinking, reserving deck chairs (okay, chances of being banned for snagging deck chairs are, er, minimal but it's in the policy), smoking in non-designated areas, and carrying illegal drugs onboard. It also spells out unacceptable forms of unsafe behavior, including "sitting, standing, laying or climbing on, over or across any exterior or interior railings or other protective barriers."

Read more: http://www.thetravelmagazine.net/i-2730--cruise-ship-how-to-get-banned.html#ixzz2jGSwieqk

Follow us: @TravelMagazine on Twitter | TheTravelMagazine on Facebook

LOL...I love how it also lists 'reserving deck chairs' as a way to be banned.

Edited by halos

Type in "banned from carnival cruise line" in your search engine and read the stories!! One woman & her husband have been banned for life for suing the contract art seller; another was banned because CCL claimed he scratched a dresser...and it goes on and on....

Yeah, I am thinking that either they scared the daylights out of her for drinking underage, she misunderstood what they told her, or she seriously, seriously did something very, very bad. (Underage drinking is bad- obviously.)

On a second note...going to check Texas resident rates...lol!

If she was under 21, who was she cruising with?

They would have given her copies of anything she signed and if she were banned, I would think it would be stated and the reason(s).

She went with a group of older friends.

Again - not sure what she was or wasn't given or whether she is telling the true story.

Was she or her parents given/mailed any paperwork stating the ban? If not, then their may not be a problem.

is a 20 year old not an adult -- why would they send a letter to her parents -- she is an adult.

she should also have a letter of trespas that explains the ban and how long and why.

On my first cruise, I was 21. I was sitting in the show lounge and ordered a drink. The bar waiter refused to take my S&S card for it and took my mom's instead because he didn't think I was 21. He didn't have a problem serving me and never verified my age.

I think there's some info that Dad's not getting for sure. If I were him, I'd have to wonder what exactly she signed.

I guess I don't understand why all 5 cabins would be cancelled because of a problem with one person in one cabin. Obviously, they want her to go anyway but it seems like a strange policy to cancel an entire group and not just one cabin.

I guess I don't understand why all 5 cabins would be cancelled because of a problem with one person in one cabin. Obviously, they want her to go anyway but it seems like a strange policy to cancel an entire group and not just one cabin.

The way it was explained to me is if he booked all the cabins at the same time they would cancel them all as more of protection against penalties (if the rate had one or they were within the final payment period). If Carnival cancels they are entitled to the deposit and any other monies back.

The reservation will "pop" to let someone at carnival know there is an issue. Even if she is on the list I was told there is still some discretion as to whether they will or will not allow her to return. It is case by case. I think if he were to book 5 cabins and they see it's a family thing they would be less likely to cancel.

There was a thread a couple years back on someone who whined and complained all the time and on every cruise with the expressed interest of getting discounted and or to be comped cruises. I think it was on Royal (but this is def not a royal vs CCL thing) but am not sure. There was an article from a a paper on how this person was banend from life. In the thread there was scans of the letter sent to them from the cruise line saying thanks but no thanks for any future sailing. I think it was in CA but not sure.

There was a thread a couple years back on someone who whined and complained all the time and on every cruise with the expressed interest of getting discounted and or to be comped cruises. I think it was on Royal (but this is def not a royal vs CCL thing) but am not sure. There was an article from a a paper on how this person was banend from life. In the thread there was scans of the letter sent to them from the cruise line saying thanks but no thanks for any future sailing. I think it was in CA but not sure.

It was a passenger named Brenda Moran. Google her and you can see her story. I think it was RCCL, but she made a habit doing this in every aspect of her life.