Thanks, cruise ship balcony!! A commentary..

big al

When we ( DW & I ) took our first 3 of our 29 cruises so far, on the Carnival Sensation ( ’95) , the RCI Majesty Of The Seas ( ’96 ) and Carnival Paradise ( ’98) , there literally were almost NO balconies on cruise ships yet except for the very rich. They were called “suites”. I called them “cabins of the Gods”…And, like many, I was…cheap..there, I said it!! CHEAP..not “thrifty” or “careful with my money”…CHEAP..a cabin is just for sleeping, right? That was what I thought..more on that later...our Carnival cabins on both cruises were outside window cabins, about 185 square feet . But our inside cabin on the Majesty was a puny 122 sq ft- wow, that was tight! In fact, so tight, that I knocked my tiny wife ( 4’11” & 102 lbs.) down no less than 6 times during our cruise as we were trying to walk about inside our mole-like cabin!! I am 100 pounds heavier than her, and 10 inches taller…she didn’t have a chance. We realized that while we were going to get ready for dinner, or to go out, one person must be in the bathroom ( yeah, that was enormous ,too, LOL..) , while the other person got ready/ dressed. We had a great time on all 3 cruises, but I can tell you one thing: we never looked forward to going back to our cabins like we do now…even the Carnival window cabins had small portholes that you had to climb up on a ledge over the bed to see out- not easy nor fun for 40 somethings already…

Then in 1999 we were invited to preview the brand new Princess ship, the Grand Princess. At 109,000 tons she was, at that time, the biggest, newest, most innovative cruise ship in the world ( Carnival Destiny was the first ship to surpass 100,000 tons in ’96) . Princess gave us Carte Blanche to tour the ship on our own. She was lovely, and soooo much bigger than the 70,000- 73,000 ton ships we had been on before. But the real eye-opener was when we toured the cabins and saw our first balcony cabin …WOW!!!! It was a beautiful sunset evening in Fort Lauderdale and as my wife & I went out on our first balcony ever, we were breathless! “Oh my God”, said my wife, “look at this view..it’s so amazing!!” . There was one thing we both noticed immediately: we FELT the water! We FELT the salt air. We FELT the wind. Our 5th wedding anniversary was coming up in 6 months ( May 2000 ) , and my wife said, “why don’t we book a balcony for our anniversary and see if we like it?”. We did, we loved it, and now, sadly for my VISA/ Master Charge or AMEX, we are hooked on balconies for life. Thanks, cruise ship balcony! And here is why:

The Connection

A balcony cabin can make you feel connected to the sea and makes you feel like you’re on a cruise!! Would you book a hotel room without a window? What’s the point of being on a ship if you can’t see the ocean passing your stateroom? Having a balcony completely changes the type of cruise you will have. Water is very therapeutic, and sitting out in the open air and reflecting is a great way to start or wind down the day. I am almost in a trance while out there, especially on those gorgeous days at sea on the Caribbean or Mediterrean. It is mesmorizing, isn’t it? Sure, the mountains, hiking, nature walks, even the Grand Canyon are great, but to me, nothing comes close to sitting on a lounge chair on my balcony and watching the waves & white caps, and seeing the birds swoop down and get a fish, or seeing dolphins swim along side the ship right below you, while the cool sea breezes caress your face & body with that soothing salt air….Wow, what a rush!! I am out there NO less than 5-6 times a day, even if for only a minute, to be part of the sea experience. Thanks, cruise ship balcony!

Convenience & Privacy

We all know that sail away parties can be a blast, and for me, it signifies the start of my cruise vacation. But sometimes to jockey for space ( like we tried to do on a recent cruise on the Allure Of The Seas) on the top deck with thousands of other people, is difficult. Doing it from your own balcony just makes more sense. Another great time to appreciate a balcony is on a sea day. I love sea days because they truly are for relaxing. Like most passengers, we go to the pool deck, be it the adult pool area, or if they don’t have one, the main pool area. We get there usually by 9 or 10 AM to get chairs in a decent location. Like others, we enjoy being at sea, reading, listening to my IPOD, checking out the people, listening to the Caribbean band ( one of my fav things to do- to me, the reggae band is part of the cruise experience!) , having a tropical drink or adult beverage, etc. Lunch, then more fun in the sun. The sun can really take a lot out of you, and after 5 or 6 hours in the heat, we usually head back to our cabin to detox a bit. I can tell you this: I was NEVER in a hurry to get back to our “broom closet” inside cabin because there was nothing to see or feel in there. But now, when I walk to open my cabin door, I can’t wait to get in there and check out what’s happening at sea!!! Sometimes there were other cruise ships out there and I would take my binocs ( standard for balcony use for me!) and check out what ship it was. Or maybe you were passing a beautiful island…maybe the white caps have picked up a bit…but getting back to opening the door to our cabin, it’s so nice after 5-6 hours of hearing sometimes thousands or even just hundreds of people having fun on the pool deck, the band, the NOISE, etc…then you walk into your cabin, and the calmness and quiet hits you- it’s so tranquil..and then you walk out onto your balcony and just hear the waves, the ocean breezes , feel the warm salt air….aaaahhh…finally, if you’re a couple, nightime brings another dimension…many leave the balcony doors open to hear, smell & feel the sea at night…the rest you can use your imagination, I’m sure!!! A cabin as you can see, or imagine, is not just for sleeping & showering…if you have a non-balcony cabin, look what you’re missing!! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!

Open Air Dining

Open air dining? Yes, please! Sure, you can go upstairs and dine with all the others, sometimes 1000-2000 people, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But sometimes you just want to breakaway from the crowds, order room service ( which is included in your cruise fare ) , and enjoy breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and even a late night snack on a private table for two . With 24 hour room service, any meal can be enjoyed on your balcony. You don’t even have to order room service. You can go to the main dining room, or your favorite specialty venue and take the meal to go..food, wine or your favorite beverage, the sun, or moonlight, alone, or with company, just you & the sea..magical!! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

The Weather and unexpected wonders

It’s always nice to know what the weather is like before you head out for the day.When my wife & I had our inside cabin, I ordered room service ( pretty boring in a dark 122 Sq ft cabin), ate, then got into our swimming outfits to go to the pool deck on our first sea day..we emerged from our mole-like cabin and discovered that NO, we were not going to sun bathe that day as the sun deck had turned into a rain deck. We were the only idiots standing at the doors of the pool deck ready for nothing…

Another thing that you miss out on if you don’t have a balcony- a thunderstorm. As long as you are not on some small boat or vessel, a thunderstorm at sea is one of the most awe inspiring things I’ve ever seen. And I was able to experience it because of one thing- my balcony. It is really an amazing sight to see the dark clouds form in the horizon, and the lightening, not to mention the waves rising ( not too high, don’t worry!)…it almost looks like the clouds are bending down to meet the sea..it is powerful, beautiful, and sometimes frightening, but very, very cool! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Conclusion

Balconies are like cruising- they’re addictive… the late Robert Palmer said it so well in his 1986 song, “Addicted To Love”…I would change the words & title and say, “no doubt about it you’re addicted to balconies”….there is one thing balconies are not good for, my wife tells me- your hair. But I think most would trade a good hair day for a relaxing day at sea on your balcony. But still, ladies, trust what my wife says, leave the curling iron at home, LOL…

And finally, if you find yourself thinking about booking your first balcony on a cruise, you might hear this from the Gods Of Verandahs whispering a line similar to a line in the movie, Field Of Dreams..” If you book it, you will love it”…Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Big Al

“Won’t You Let Me Take You On A Sea Cruise”

Our 1st cabin was tiny, too.....and you're right...only one of us could stand at a time! Awful! Since then, it's at least a balcony, if not a small suite. I don't even check prices on the non-balcony cabins...since I refuse to sail in one! Oh, well!

I also am getting my first balcony next week. My wife doesn't know yet, and I cannot wait to see the look on her face when we open the door and she see's that big beautiful door and balcony.

We originally booked an interior room, but the upgrade was too tempting once I got my bonus i knew for sure was coming, just not when. I got the last balcony on the entire ship. Just in the nick of time!

I know we are going to love it, and I know that we are going to spend a lot of money over the years getting balconies instead of interior.

Cannot wait to experience the excitement you guys have about your balcony rooms.

Jim and Angel

I also am getting my first balcony next week. My wife doesn't know yet, and I cannot wait to see the look on her face when we open the door and she see's that big beautiful door and balcony.

We originally booked an interior room, but the upgrade was too tempting once I got my bonus i knew for sure was coming, just not when. I got the last balcony on the entire ship. Just in the nick of time!

I know we are going to love it, and I know that we are going to spend a lot of money over the years getting balconies instead of interior.

Cannot wait to experience the excitement you guys have about your balcony rooms.

Jim and Angel

Jim & Angel- Great move!! I surprised my wife on our 10th anniversary in 2005 with an AFT Junior Suite balcony cabin on the Adventure Of The Seas Southern Caribb cruise...I can still remember her face when she saw the balloons, and how big the cabin was- 287 SF plus a 105 SF balcony...walk-in closet, huge bathroom..she loved it! I surprised her on our last cruise with an upgrade on our Disney Dream cruise..we had a standard balcony 249 SF and I upgraded to 299 SF with an AMAZING rain shower & tub, and more room near the sofa area..great cabin and it cost me about $120 total to upgrade...well worth it IMO...MAKE sure you are on your balcony FIRST THING in the morning, in the late afternoon ( especially when you leave a port!), at sunset ( sometimes tough to do because you may at dinner or at a show) , and always go out at night and check out the stars & sea...you may other ships- make sure you bring binoculars, this is a must for viewing..don't forget the breakfast on your balcony on a SEA DAY, not on a port day, if possible...order the night before in your cabin, choose the time you want, and make sure you tip the crew member $4-5 for bringing the food out to your balcony and setting it up ...drinks & munchies are also fun out there and reading/listening to music is relaxing as well. What ship are you going on and where?..please let us know what happened!!

Big Al

I am going to have my first ever balcony stateroom on my next cruise. After reading your post I am even more excited about having my very own ocean front property!

Great news!! What ship & when ? Read what I recommended to Jim & Angel...try & keep your curtains open, so when you come in, you see the sunlight, then go immediately out to see what's happening out there- it's so much fun to see, unlike an inside cabin where you see nothing more than 4 walls....Have a great cruise & enjoy your 1st balcony!!

Big Al

Our 1st cabin was tiny, too.....and you're right...only one of us could stand at a time! Awful! Since then, it's at least a balcony, if not a small suite. I don't even check prices on the non-balcony cabins...since I refuse to sail in one! Oh, well!

I don't check anything but balconies or small suites, too..we think alike, cb at sea!!

Alan

Today the cost of a balcony is not much more that a outside cabin with a window but what a difference it can make to you for your entire cruise. Breakfast out on the balcony when your at see is incredible. I agree with everything that Big Al said. I have cruised with my wife 13 times and we will be on the Adventure in Feb. and all cruises have been in a balcony cabin. Even if I was to leave NY in the winter I still would get a balcony. I know I will have it when I get down to warmer weather. If you have never done the balcony before just try it once and you will be hooked. It's all part of the cruise experience.:cool:

Great news!! What ship & when ? Read what I recommended to Jim & Angel...try & keep your curtains open, so when you come in, you see the sunlight, then go immediately out to see what's happening out there- it's so much fun to see, unlike an inside cabin where you see nothing more than 4 walls....Have a great cruise & enjoy your 1st balcony!!

Big Al

I am going to be on the Queen Elizabeth sailing around the world. When I first started planning I thought chances are I will only go around the world once, I want a balcony.

Your suggestions are great. I am a night owl and I can see me sitting on my balcony before bed looking at the stars and listening to the water. Likely I won't be seeing too many sunrises from my balcony.:o

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread! In a few weeks, my friend and I are going on our first ever cruise-- we were booked in an inside but there was this great promotion so we upgraded. I did it primarily because he has motion sickness, but has never been on a ship, so we thought the view would help. Now I'm even more excited about it thanks to this great post! I'm even kinda hoping for a thunderstorm to watch (on the last sea day, of course, before we get home!! No rain while in port, please!!) anyway, it sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing your experience, big al :) :)

Edited by cruisebear84

I am going to be on the Queen Elizabeth sailing around the world. When I first started planning I thought chances are I will only go around the world once, I want a balcony.

Your suggestions are great. I am a night owl and I can see me sitting on my balcony before bed looking at the stars and listening to the water. Likely I won't be seeing too many sunrises from my balcony.:o

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread! In a few weeks, my friend and I are going on our first ever cruise-- we were booked in an inside but there was this great promotion so we upgraded. I did it primarily because he has motion sickness, but has never been on a ship, so we thought the view would help. Now I'm even more excited about it thanks to this great post! I'm even kinda hoping for a thunderstorm to watch (on the last sea day, of course, before we get home!! No rain while in port, please!!) anyway, it sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing your experience, big al :) :)

Scrapnana & cruisebear84: Thanks for the kind words..this took me a week to compose after careful thoughts...here are some tips on what to bring on your 1st cruise ( cruisebear84 and anyone else..) for your cabins:

1) Air Freshener

2) Notebook/ pad for notes

3) Small clips to keep drapes closed

4) Small LED light for bathroom

5) Digital clock

6) 3 plug adapter for extra outlets & charging

7) Sanitizer wipes for balcony handles, TVremote, phone,etc

8) List of meds good to take:tummy meds,cold,headache,motion sickness,etc.

9) Shoe- holder ( door) to hold things

10) Little fan for noise/ radio w/ sounds

I hope this helps- any questions/ comments/ thoughts , please let me know..WOW, a world cruise! Balconies on moon-lit nights are soooo serene & cool...I love when I see a ship ( or ships) and I wonder, "hey, who can that be- RCI? Princess?"...I take my binocs and I can always tell by the colors on the funnel what cruise line and even what class ship it is...people who cruise in an inside cabin miss EVERYTHING I mentioned in my post- the sun, the waves, the wind, the salt air, the birds, the dolphins, pulling into a port, pulling OUT of a port, waving at other passengers on other ship's balconies, amazing sunsets, amazing sunrises ( except for scrapnana,LOL!!) , breakfast on your private verandah ( don't miss cruisebear!!) , catching an amazing thunderstorm, checking out how the weather is ( remember my true story about how we went to the pool and it was pouring thanks to our inside cabin!!) , and so many more great reasons to get a balcony..but the biggest reason I still say, is that CONNECTION you feel to the sea...you feel you're on a ship on a cruise..when we were in our broom closet cabin, I felt like we in a cheap, tiny motel with a view of the parking lot...so again, THANKS CRUISE SHIP BALCONY!!

Big Al

What a great post you made! I sat here reading it - shaking my head in agreement with everything you wrote! We will be going on our 3rd cruise next week, and never even considered anything but a balcony room. We so enjoy just setting out there, we've seen dolphin, sea turtles - and just being able to enjoy the sea air with ALL of our senses....nothing compares. I so wish we lived closer to ports, we would cruise a LOT more often if we did! Thank you for sharing!:)

Thanks for your post. We couldn't have said it better. A balcony is the only way to go. We once booked an inside cabin trying to reduce our costs and what a mistake that was. Now, it is a balcony cabin or we just don't go. It is by far the most favorite part of our cruise experience!

What a great post you made! I sat here reading it - shaking my head in agreement with everything you wrote! We will be going on our 3rd cruise next week, and never even considered anything but a balcony room. We so enjoy just setting out there, we've seen dolphin, sea turtles - and just being able to enjoy the sea air with ALL of our senses....nothing compares. I so wish we lived closer to ports, we would cruise a LOT more often if we did! Thank you for sharing!:)

Thanks for your post. We couldn't have said it better. A balcony is the only way to go. We once booked an inside cabin trying to reduce our costs and what a mistake that was. Now, it is a balcony cabin or we just don't go. It is by far the most favorite part of our cruise experience!

DCP & Northern Prairie: Thanks for the compliments...I wrote this for several reasons, one of them being for those new cruisers who have been told by the "insiders" ( inside cabin people) that "you are never in your cabin, so why spend extra $$ for a balcony?"..I tell them that the reason you're never in your cabin, is because you have a crummy cabin! And when I had an inside cabin, I DREADED going back there...now, I can't wait to open the door and be blown away by all the natural beauty, senses, passing cruise ships, and again- that CONNECTION to the sea that makes my cruise a cruise, and not a stay in a cheap motel room, which is what an inside stateroom resembles to me...

Big Al

I'm not sure what prompted us to consider a mini-suite for our first cruise, but we're now addicted to the extra space of a mini. We're both avid photographers and tend to take several cameras and many lenses. We found that the extra space means we can have four cameras with four different lenses assembled and "sleeping" (powered on but in power-saving mode) can easily be the difference between getting the shot and not when something neat is visible out the balcony.

I'm not sure what prompted us to consider a mini-suite for our first cruise, but we're now addicted to the extra space of a mini. We're both avid photographers and tend to take several cameras and many lenses. We found that the extra space means we can have four cameras with four different lenses assembled and "sleeping" (powered on but in power-saving mode) can easily be the difference between getting the shot and not when something neat is visible out the balcony.

I just got off a ship tour of the NCL Breakaway..very nice ship, BTW...they had a dinner for us, and at the dinner I sat next to another cruise agent and we were discussing various cruise lines & ships...she mentioned she just got off the Carnival Dream and it cost her only XXX dollars..I said, "wow a balcony for only $xxx??"...she goes, "oh no, we always get an inside cabin"...I said, "Not me, I'm not spending a week in a broom closet, and you miss all the great things that come with a balcony..the whole feeling CONNECTED to the sea, the ship, the sky, the salt air, the marine life, the weather, other cruise ships passing....not to mention your own private verandah where you can read, sip a drink, fall asleep to the mesmorizing sounds of the sea, or just gaze out at the waves & white caps.." Funny, everybody at the table ( about 10 of us) said, "yeah, that sounds great, but I'm only in my cabin to sleep & shower"..."that's cause you have a terrible cabin- I would DREAD going back to that , and I did when we had an inside on the Majesty once...but now when I book a balcony, I can't WAIT to open the door and walk outside onto my private haven of sun & sea wonders...do you that when you open the door to your inside cabin?"....DEAD SILENCE.......I say it again- a balcony completely changes your whole experience on your cruise..those of you who have done both an inside & a balcony, please share your thoughts on the difference.....

Big Al

I was thinking about this post today, big al. My daughter took me out shopping for six hours today. Once upon a time that wouldn't phase me but I am much older now. When I got home (and could barely move I was so tired) I thought how nice it will be if I come back to the ship exhausted after a port day to call room service, go out on my balcony, put my feet up, and eat dinner. Wouldn't want to sit in a closet (inside cabin) and do that!

I was thinking about this post today, big al. My daughter took me out shopping for six hours today. Once upon a time that wouldn't phase me but I am much older now. When I got home (and could barely move I was so tired) I thought how nice it will be if I come back to the ship exhausted after a port day to call room service, go out on my balcony, put my feet up, and eat dinner. Wouldn't want to sit in a closet (inside cabin) and do that!

100% agree! Did you read my prior post about the cruise agent who ONLY books inside cabins? Now THAT person would completely miss out on going back to your cabin and sitting out there and totally chilling to a soothing, tranquil view- not going to happen in that closet/ mole....you make another good point: when my wife & I went to Pirates Night & the great fireworks on the Disney Dream, it was awesome, I must say- the show, the fireworks off the side, the crowd...BUT, it was noisy, and with 1500 people on deck watching and screaming, when we walked back into our cabin, then walked out onto our balcony - it was like another world! The still, quiet calm waters, the moonlit sky, the sound and sight of the white caps, it was just awe-inspiring...thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Big Al

Big Al, I don't know if you mentioned this and I missed it, but if so I apologize. Didn't the Disney balcony cabin just feel roomy even if you weren't outside because of the floor to ceiling glass?? It felt so open even if we had the door closed (chilly).

Big Al, I don't know if you mentioned this and I missed it, but if so I apologize. Didn't the Disney balcony cabin just feel roomy even if you weren't outside because of the floor to ceiling glass?? It felt so open even if we had the door closed (chilly).

Yes, it did feel roomier...did you have the bigger bathroom with the rain shower and sitting area in there? I couldn't get my wife outta there, LOL....

Heck no, no rain shower! Maybe we'll get lucky on our next cruise!

We were forward on our last cruise so I did go up and use the spa showers at least once on our last cruise. That was really nice!

If you would like a rain shower and BIGGER cabin, book the cat 4 ( we had a 4B) not cat 5 or worse..cat 5 's are 249 SF, cat 4 is 299 sf, with bigger bathroom & rain showers and bigger living area w/couch.....so nice!