Great Stirrup Cay lagoon?

Heleftherakiss

I am sailing on the Sky in a little over a week (yay!) and I happen to have a friend who just came back from her first cruise on the Breakaway. She said one of the best parts of the trip for her was the lagoon at Great Stirrup Cay. She said its one of three areas on the island and since she didn't visit the other areas I'm just wondering how it compares. Also wondering if you can snorkel there, since that's one of the things I want to do a lot of on the trip. Not bringing any of my own equipment, just going to rent it.

Thanks!

I am sailing on the Sky in a little over a week (yay!) and I happen to have a friend who just came back from her first cruise on the Breakaway. She said one of the best parts of the trip for her was the lagoon at Great Stirrup Cay. She said its one of three areas on the island and since she didn't visit the other areas I'm just wondering how it compares. Also wondering if you can snorkel there, since that's one of the things I want to do a lot of on the trip. Not bringing any of my own equipment, just going to rent it.

Thanks!

From what I've read it is quieter there because it's off the beaten path, so to speak. It is in front of the small cabanas and the pictures show a small island in the middle of the lagoon. I'm sure you can snorkle but am not sure what there is to see.

I was just at GSC but unfortunately didn't get over to the lagoon. There is a tram that takes you there but we got to the island on the first tender and didn't know if it was running yet. Many crew members told me that it's now their favorite spot on the island - more peaceful and not so many people. There is also the same buffet lunch over there, so you don't have to travel across the island to eat.

The lagoon is gorgeous... and the water is warmer than it is on the main beach, because it is a lagoon instead of a tidal-influenced body of water. While I was on GSC, I was invited to spend the afternoon with friends who had rented one of the small cabanas. The lagoon is quieter... quite peaceful, because most people don't go beyond the main beach. Snorkeling wise, honestly? There really doesn't seem to be much good snorkeling here. But I love snorkeling, so ANY snorkeling is good snorkeling. LOL

Richard/Tralfie

Bigger than I thought.

I can't watch the video on my phone. Will watch it later at home. Thanks.

I'm going to find out if the Gem calls there. Want to try her for next year's cruise after this year's Breakaway to Bermuda!!! 107 days to gooooooo

Would never want to try getting there in Oct or Nov though.

Thanks for the info, Freestyle.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

Bigger than I thought.

I'm going to find out if the Gem calls there. Want to try her for next year's cruise after this year's Breakaway to Bermuda!!! 107 days to gooooooo

~Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

GSC is on our Gem itinerary in May. I am excited to see the changes since the last time we were there.:)

Bigger than I thought.

~Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

We are sailing on the Gem, May of 2015 on an 8 night Florida/Bahama's cruise and GSC is on the itinerary. I just hope the weather will be agreeable and that it is not too windy. I have read of a lot of cruisers that missed the island due to those conditions and it not being safe to tender.

greatstirrupcaylinkmap.jpg

© Cruisecritic.co.uk via Google

Not sure if it's an open lagoon on the map lol. :)

Where are the cabanas on this map? I see the PRIVATE cabanas coming soon but si that the same as the cabanas they have now?

Edited by Sika Dellick

Noooo haha

There's about 50% chance you will make it!!!!

Hahaha still beats waiting at a random airport hotel for the flight back home.

Will make a few pictures if we make it, but not too much.. there has to be something to discover or ask questions about here on CC! :p

greatstirrupcaylinkmap.jpg

© Cruisecritic.co.uk via Google

Not sure if it's an open lagoon on the map lol. :)

Okay maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet~ where is the lagoon on this map? Went to GSC last July and DH complained about the water being too cold so I think the lagoon would be perfect for him yet I don't see it on this map! :confused: :confused: In the video is shows it right by the buffet but on this map there is no water near the buffet??

Edited by Alliezona09

Where are the cabanas on this map? I see the PRIVATE cabanas coming soon but si that the same as the cabanas they have now?

It's my understanding that the private cabanas on the map are the large cabanas. The small cabanas are by the lagoon.

You've got a very good point there :)

GSC would be the only reason to make this trip at all, right?

I looked into some Gem trips that call there, and MAN they are cheaper than Breakaway to Bermuda. Geez.

I will have my fingers crossed for your cruise. Please take a ton of pics.

Safe Sailing!!

~Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006