Desperate! Need Managerial Person with Accountability to Fix Airline Problem

zorrosuncle

Hi --

I need a managerial person at Holland America who can get things done. HAL issued me an erroneous air ticket, one that goes from JFK to LAX. The rest go to Australia and back.

The carrier tried to make a fix for me (it has a different receipt flight number than the flight number shown on FlightEase and VirtuallyThere for the given e-ticket, but the airline can't swap out the record because HAL "owns" the file record from a computer viewpoint. Simply put, HAL controls the record to the exclusion of anyone else including the carrier. As such the carrier says that boarding entry will be denied to me at the airport as it now stands because it will not show me on the booked flight but on an incoming flight from Europe! Carrier says that HAL caused the problem with an error they made back in July.

My personal cruise consultant says that Air/Sea is "working" on the problem. But after 15 emails to the personal cruise consultant (PCC), nothing has been done. Flight leaves middle of October.

The airline says that all HAL has to do is to reissue the ticket with a new e-ticket number. So simple, but PCC at HAL says they are having a hard time with this problem, but "they feel covered from their end! " What about the passenger???? Is it all about CYA? They don't care about me!

At this point I am looking for someone with accountability. I am now considering cancellation which my platinum plan allows. I have occurred other outside expenses in regard to this trip, so I stand to lose about $3000.00.

Can anyone help me with a HAL phone number?

ZU

OK I may be able to answer some questions and help you but first I need to know when is your flight /cruise? Based on what you are saying I believe there is a very simple explanation but need to know when it is and if you have made final payment?

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

Flight leaves from JFK on Oct. 14 and cruise leaves on Oct. 19 from Sydney.

I was a technical computer systems analyst and manager and I know all about record ownership. HAL should be able to fix this in about 7 seconds with my seat assignment kept if they know what they are doing. This would be a real time fix.

Full payment was made.

ZU

Edited by zorrosuncle

OK just reread your post you state the flight leaves mid October. I can pretty much guess what has happened. HAL has NOT ticketed your flights yet. That is why the airline cannot see them. HAL and other cruise lines have a special agreement with the airlines that basically place a HOLD on your tickets and locks in pricing. It is the Airline that gives them the date that HAL must ticket the flights, this is not HAL's doing. I have probably dealt with at least 25 HAL flights this year most of them are ticketed approx 4 weeks prior to the flight/cruise. When you call the airline the record locator numbers do NOT work for any airline representative. Once in a great while the the air is ticketed about 8 weeks prior but rare and I had one that was actually ticketed prior to final which is even more rare. Right now I am aware of 8 different people with flights leaving in mid October to do a TA crossing with HAL and all but one has the tickets ticketed so they cannot be located at this time by the airline nor can they select their seats till the airline tells HAL when they are to ticket them. Sadly I think your PCC just does not want to tell you that HAL's air department has not ticketed you flights yet. Expect this to happen about mid September. You can have your PCC to call the Air department to see what date it is scheduled to be ticketed, then on that date later in the day the record locator number they have given will work and you will be able to log into the airline's web site to select you seat assignment. But don't be surprised if the date may only be two week from when you fly because I have seen that as well.

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

I honestly do not think there is an error here or a mistake because the airline CANNOT see the flight HAL has booked for you till they have ticketed but there is a hold that is between the airline and HAL. Just Call HAL's air department and ask this simple question.... Has my flight been ticketed yet?Hal or any other cruise line does NOT want to admit they do not ticket you right away when you have booked but trust me it most likely has not been ticketed.

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

But the locator is working!. On the carrier's website the "my bookings" section shows the correct flight -- Delta 428. But when I go to the e-ticket page to view the e-ticket for Delta 428 it shows Delta 91. And if I print it off via email it shows Delta 91 again. The locator number pointed to the correct flight. But the next webpage accessed from the previous page shows the proper e-ticket but a different flight number!

ZU

But the next webpage accessed from the previous page shows the proper e-ticket but a different flight number!
I think you're missing the point here.

If there is not yet any e-ticket (because HAL has not yet issued your e-ticket) then what you are seeing is not the proper e-ticket.

And what LAFFNVEGAS is saying is that it would be entirely consistent with normal practice for the ticket not to have been issued yet. Having a reservation for a flight does not mean that you necessarily have a ticket. What you're seeing may be a spurious link to something else.

That's another reason why I would never book through HAL directly.. A good travel Agent should be able to clear out a mess like this for you..

I think it's too late for you to have HAL release your booking to a Travel Agent now, so you will have to handle it yourself.. Good luck & please let us know

But the locator is working!. On the carrier's website the "my bookings" section shows the correct flight -- Delta 428. But when I go to the e-ticket page to view the e-ticket for Delta 428 it shows Delta 91. And if I print it off via email it shows Delta 91 again. The locator number pointed to the correct flight. But the next webpage accessed from the previous page shows the proper e-ticket but a different flight number!

ZU

I am not certain this has been ticketed, it might be but rare and I agree the locator could be taking you to the wrong info if not really ticketed. Call HAL's air department at 800-628-4711, give them your HAL reservation number and just ask if your air tickets have been ticketed yet. Since you are booked directly with HAL there is no reason you cannot call HAL's Air department directly. If you were not booked directly with them they would refer you to your Travel Agent unless your flight was within 48 hours. If it has been ticketed then you can talk to them directly with the problem. Do not be afraid to ask for the Supervisor or Lead. If they state they have not yet been ticketed then ask for the date they will be and say thank you because then at that date you can then check on your tickets.

I've had similar issues with Princess about airline tickets. My cruise vacation planner sent me a document to fill out as soon as final payment was made.

The document requested early release of my tickets to the airline. Yes the record locator works on line but can't select any seats.

That's another reason why I would never book through HAL directly.. A good travel Agent should be able to clear out a mess like this for you..

I think it's too late for you to have HAL release your booking to a Travel Agent now, so you will have to handle it yourself.. Good luck & please let us know

Betty, while I agree that in most cases it is far better to get your own air to handle it yourself HAL has contracted some amazing prices for One way and or round trip from multi-city locations. The prices they have done with Flex fares just could not be beat. Had I kept with our Noordam Trans Atlantic and not had to cancel we would have been paying something like $440.00 PP to fly from LAS to Barcelona. I have seen round trip flight going from ATL to BCL and FLL back to ATL for under $500.00 pp Even some of the Auckland/Sydney back to US were extremely low. In most cases less than half. For those wanting to save money and not pay the BIG dollars on some of the Trans Pacific and Trans Atlantic cruises the cruise line contracted rate is not a bad way to go you just have to know that while you are saving money you do not have total control of your tickets and be willing to except this inconvenience.

Dear Zorrosuncle,

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

I think Lisa ( LAFFNVEGAS ) is on the right track. I would take her advice and call the Holland America air department directly to clear things up.

Sometimes when a ticket is not issued, it is in a state of limbo. I think once you talk to the air department and explain what you would like, the problem will be resolved.

Best of luck!

soccer

P.S. to Lisa, great job explaining this

Betty, while I agree that in most cases it is far better to get your own air to handle it yourself HAL has contracted some amazing prices for One way and or round trip from multi-city locations. The prices they have done with Flex fares just could not be beat. Had I kept with our Noordam Trans Atlantic and not had to cancel we would have been paying something like $440.00 PP to fly from LAS to Barcelona. I have seen round trip flight going from ATL to BCL and FLL back to ATL for under $500.00 pp Even some of the Auckland/Sydney back to US were extremely low. In most cases less than half. For those wanting to save money and not pay the BIG dollars on some of the Trans Pacific and Trans Atlantic cruises the cruise line contracted rate is not a bad way to go you just have to know that while you are saving money you do not have total control of your tickets and be willing to except this inconvenience.

Thanks Lisa, understand what you are saying.. I'm not disputing booking HAL's air, just booking the entire booking through HAL Res. or a HAL PCC, verses using a good Travel Agent. to handle both cruise & air...

When we booked our first Amazon cruise it was directly with HAL Res.. Then because Heather & Randy kept saying that cruise fares are less with many travel Agents, I checked myself & discovered they were correct...

So I had HAL release our booking to a TA here in FLA a couple of months after we booked it & way before final payment.. Now if wanted a cruise booked out of another port such as Alaska could I have our TA in Fla book the air through HAL in order for us to take advantage of the lower HAL fares?

Do you understand my question or am I :confused:

You did a great job of explaining it to the OP & hope he will be able to work it out himself..

Thanks, Betty

So I had HAL release our booking to a TA here in FLA a couple of months after we booked it & way before final payment.. Now if wanted a cruise booked out of another port such as Alaska could I have our TA in Fla book the air through HAL in order for us to take advantage of the lower HAL fares?

Do you understand my question or am I :confused:

You did a great job of explaining it to the OP & hope he will be able to work it out himself..

Thanks, Betty

Thanks Betty, I will say that not all HAL air pricing is competitive. Any Round Trip flights say to Seattle or FLL are going to be more expensive with HAL usually by about 10% to 15%. Now a HAL Land and Sea Journeys formally known as Cruise Tours where you have one way flights in most cases the flight prices are quite good but not the drastic difference you see with the Trans Pacific and Trans Atlantic flights. But more and more are using HAL's air over booking themselves. This year the average savings for those that did the Land and See Alaska saved about $50 PP with HAL. HAL does not include the transfer costs unless you book HAL hotel package. Choosing the flight is another good thing that has changed over the past 18 months. You have a wide variety of flight times and carriers to choose from, you are not just selecting HAL air and allowing them to assign you a flight and carrier. Prices do vary when you choose the time and carrier. There is no longer any such thing as a deviation fee. You can choose the day of departing and returning. Just like booking on your own the terrible connections are going to be the cheapest but a few dollars more can get you the perfect connection.

Once you are booked with HAL, your travel agent or HAL can give you some of the options available to book through Flight Ease. I usually look for the best times with with out long lay overs that have the best prices to offer.

Any Travel agent can book the Flight Ease and give you a quote. It may or may not be less than you can find on your own.

Good example, I am booked on the Volendam for May next year but I had credit with West Jet from when we had to cancel our Crystal cruise going out of Montreal due to Tom's heart attack last October. I was able to use practically to the penny our credit for flights to Vancouver for Next May.I pulled up in HAL's booking engine the cost of air on my cruise with HAL and the cost was about $15 dollars per person more round trip than I had for the one way to Vancouver and the flight home was a Non stop so figured I would call HAL and have them book my return flight one way since many of the one way flights with HAL are considerably less. To my shock the cost was more than double the cost of round trip :( So that case did not work at all for me and I will just keep searching and waiting a bit longer to purchase our return flight. I had actually found from Hipmunk the flight on Air Canada that HAL offered me and it was about $50 PP less.

Basically all you can do is check and see :D

I was a technical computer systems analyst and manager and I know all about record ownership. HAL should be able to fix this in about 7 seconds with my seat assignment kept if they know what they are doing. This would be a real time fix.

Full payment was made.

ZU

Wow. I thought your issue was tomorrow.

Allow them time over this holiday weekend to fix it, but I think you just need to be ticketed.

We are traveling at the same time (not on HAL but independent travel) and have flight changes, so are working on switching flights. It has been a few days but I am not worried about a flight mid October.

Edited by Jade13

In my experience, HAL usually tickets at 50 days prior to departure. If your flight is in mid October you are right at the 50 days ( 45 days from flight). I would agree with calling HAL are speaking with a real person. Note: most of HAL's support teams are on a 3-day weekend for Labor Day.

Good luck!

Full payment was made.

ZU

Have you printed your express documents, which are available for printing today?

The e-mail reminder to print the documents states vouchers and air travel information is included.

Since booking HAL air for our upcoming TA from Rome, I have been able to go to the Delta web site and see my seats and change them if I chose to do so. I did want to upgrade to Premium Economy but the system will not let me until I am ticketed. So, I have to wait until 10/9 to see if there are any PE seats still available.:(

Thanks Betty, I will say that not all HAL air pricing is competitive. Any Round Trip flights say to Seattle or FLL are going to be more expensive with HAL usually by about 10% to 15%. Now a HAL Land and Sea Journeys formally known as Cruise Tours where you have one way flights in most cases the flight prices are quite good but not the drastic difference you see with the Trans Pacific and Trans Atlantic flights. But more and more are using HAL's air over booking themselves. This year the average savings for those that did the Land and See Alaska saved about $50 PP with HAL. HAL does not include the transfer costs unless you book HAL hotel package. Choosing the flight is another good thing that has changed over the past 18 months. You have a wide variety of flight times and carriers to choose from, you are not just selecting HAL air and allowing them to assign you a flight and carrier. Prices do vary when you choose the time and carrier. There is no longer any such thing as a deviation fee. You can choose the day of departing and returning. Just like booking on your own the terrible connections are going to be the cheapest but a few dollars more can get you the perfect connection.

Once you are booked with HAL, your travel agent or HAL can give you some of the options available to book through Flight Ease. I usually look for the best times with with out long lay overs that have the best prices to offer.

Any Travel agent can book the Flight Ease and give you a quote. It may or may not be less than you can find on your own.

Good example, I am booked on the Volendam for May next year but I had credit with West Jet from when we had to cancel our Crystal cruise going out of Montreal due to Tom's heart attack last October. I was able to use practically to the penny our credit for flights to Vancouver for Next May.I pulled up in HAL's booking engine the cost of air on my cruise with HAL and the cost was about $15 dollars per person more round trip than I had for the one way to Vancouver and the flight home was a Non stop so figured I would call HAL and have them book my return flight one way since many of the one way flights with HAL are considerably less. To my shock the cost was more than double the cost of round trip :( So that case did not work at all for me and I will just keep searching and waiting a bit longer to purchase our return flight. I had actually found from Hipmunk the flight on Air Canada that HAL offered me and it was about $50 PP less.

Basically all you can do is check and see :D

Thanks Lisa Appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.. Air Fares have become much more complicated today..Many many years ago all the fares were the same, no matter which airline you used.. Once IATA went by the wayside it became a free for all.. I retired just in time..

Even though I can get still apply for reduced rate tickets I find it's better if we just pay full fare & be done with it! When I bought my first full fare to fly to NYC to bring my Mom down here it was wonderful not having to standby.. Quite a few of my co-workers agree with me...Our very dear Friends now pay full fare to fly to from here to Norway every other year to visit family..They too say it's not worth it..LOL[

Hope you are able to find a better fare for your return flights../SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

Hi --

A couple of additional bits of information on the e-ticket receipt problem:

1. The e-ticket indicates that its status is "open". What does that mean?

2. When I go to view the e-ticket receipts, Delta's system only shows me the first one, the bad one. The second flight to Sydney, the third back to LAX and the last back to New York are not shown. I have no idea if these tickets are defective as well.

Tomorrow I intend to call the HAL Air/Sea Department and attempt to speak to someone in a managerial position. If they can solve the problem, great. If they won't speak to me or if they tell me that they can't fix it or point the finger back to Delta, I will give the PCC two days to get it corrected using any high level contact he should have, and if not fixed as seen on the Delta website, then I will cancel out this cruise and say goodbye to Holland America.

Too bad, because I have been taking longer cruises for the past three years -- and had several more in mind. I have refrained from booking them, so far.

ZU

When is your final payment due? Why wouldn't you give them until final payment before cancelling?

Sail, he is well into penalty at this time so unless he took out HAL platinum insurance with cancel for any reason he could lose a lot. I am not sure why he has not yet called HAL's Air department, they were open yesterday and there was someone there today as well till about 4pm pacific time. I still highly suspect he has not been ticketed yet which would also answer the question of why it states Open.

If they won't speak to me or if they tell me that they can't fix it or point the finger back to Delta, I will give the PCC two days to get it corrected using any high level contact he should have, and if not fixed as seen on the Delta website, then I will cancel out this cruise and say goodbye to Holland America.
This would seem to be cutting off your nose to spite your face, particularly if (as seems possible) HAL hasn't even issued your ticket yet and you're seeing a pure artefact on the Delta website.

Remember, a reservation is not the same as a ticket. You can have a reservation for months on end without a ticket being issued. You seem to be assuming that what you can see on the Delta website is your ticket for flying to this cruise, when - in the absence of a statement by HAL that it has issued your ticket - all the indications suggest that it isn't your ticket.

And if HAL has issued your ticket, it can see what that ticket is and give you details like the (13-digit) ticket number. Armed with that, sorting out the problem is much easier.

Hi --

1. I have made final payment.

2. I have Platinum plan.

3. I definitely hope to find out if the ticket has been issued. If not I wait. If it has I ask for a fix quickly. If they don't know how to fix it, Delta says to just reissue the ticket with a new receipt number. And obviously, if I can't get anyone to talk to me from Air/Sea, what's the use of dilly dallying around. It depends on the satisfaction I get from HAL -- a judgment call.

I really would like to make this cruise. I've put a lot of research time into it. And it is a cruise I have always wanted to take.

ZU.