Amber Cove Pictures

misslucy01

I thank you for posting pictures. We have decided to use the port facilities. It looks like shops are also handy. Is the cost for souvenirs about the same or higher than other ports? Also is there enough to do just at the port during the ships time there? THANKS !

We did the Puerto Plata excursion thru Carnival. I believe it was $39 each. Lasted around 3 hrs. We enjoyed it a lot. All the excursion vehicles we saw were brand new. A lot of money has been invested at this port. We stopped in the downtown area. The pictures of the dancing characters were there along with the Cathederal and the construction underway sites. We also stopped at the waters edge to see the statue of Neptune on the small rock island and there was "pushy" vendors there.

Last stop was at the Fort and Amphitheater that they are constructing. This site also had the "pushy" vendors.

There was very few shops open at the port. We were the second ship to port and they were a little behind. When finished they will probably have 20+ shops operating. The open air shopping at the port prices were around the same as the vendors at the sites where we stopped. Our next trip I want to find an excursion that maybe has some shopping time allotted for the downtown area as we passed some interesting looking shops in Puerto Plata. When we returned to the port we had a couple hours left to enjoy the pool area that is beautiful. I think the zip line is $13 and you can go as many times as you like. When all the shops are open I believe I could spend the entire visit at the port annex and have a very good time. Be sure to take $1 to tip the entertainers and the bike taxi drivers. This looks to be a VERY poor region.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the pictures of Amber Cove. I have stayed in Puerto Plata and regretted it. I did enjoy Sosua and Cabarete though. Your pictures confirm to me what I saw in the construction diagrams, another Carnival cookie cutter shopping mall that I have no intention of visiting. Thanks!

I'll continue to do my land vacations in Punta Cana and Samanna.

Thanks for sharing your photo's. They look great. We will be there in early March and I am looking forward to it. Took my first cruise in the 80's and it went to Puerto Plata. It is a very poor place but the people were very nice.

you mentioned a pool. Is that for folks from the ship, is it a pay for pool? or is it just part of the port-like shops and pool?

The pool is free and there's plenty of lounge chairs and drink service. Other activities such as zip lining and parasailing are for a fee. I think Zip lining was around $16 for unlimited use. The port is by far my favorite Carnival operated port and I think they did a very good job. The Wifi is not so good but the IT team was working on improvements while we were there. I think I have some pics on on my phone I can post when I get the chance.