Freedom of the Seas - Live Review 11/26/2016-12/4/2016

I have never done a live review before but I think I might this time. We do not always get the internet package but decided to this time because my son will be at a few basketball tournaments while we are away and we want to keep in touch. I figured this was a good a time as any to do a review. I know Robyn just did one on the Freedom last week and did an amazing job, so hopefully mine is not overkill. If you have any questions that you would like answered, please do not hesitate to ask :)

A Little Background

My husband Paul and I will be travelling from Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada. Quispamsis is a suburb of Saint John - some of you might have stopped there on your NE/Canada sailings. It will just be my husband Paul (41) and I (Jessica - 40) travelling. Our 14yo son won't be joining us this time as he is too old to be missing school and basketball so he will be staying home with Nanny :)

We travel every year during this week. I live in Canada but work for a Fortune 500 US based company and I only interface with US clients so I always get Thanksgiving and Black Friday off - it gives me a nice cushion of two days at the beginning without having to take extra vacation. We used to go to Vegas but got the cruising bug once we started sailing with RCL (Carnival did not impress me) so this is the 3rd year in a row we have cruised the weekend after Thanksgiving.

This is our first full cruise as Platinum and our 7th RCL cruise since November 2014 when we did our first RCL sailing on the Oasis. We sailed Oasis in November last year as well. We have been on all of the Freedom class ships and really enjoyed it and like the 8 day itinerary so we decided to do the Freedom this time. We have the Freedom booked next November too but that one will be in the "Ben & Jerry Sweet" so hopefully that room keeps its Suite perks so I can finally check out the lounge :) We will level up to Emerald on our March Break Anthem sailing in 2017.

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

We generally book a few cruises onboard during each sailing and move it around as required. I was really dumb this time though. At some point last year a large warehouse travel site had a promo where you got free gratuities and the price for this cruise was great so I booked it. We then changed our minds and decided to go on the Oasis again so I cancelled the booking. A few months later we changed our minds again and wanted back on the Freedom. Of course the price was higher and we lost our free gratuities. Hind-sight is 20/20 as they say…

We always book the least expensive cabin at the time of booking. I then watch the Royal site like a hawk looking for less expensive rooms or possible upgrades. For this cruise we initially had an inside guarantee booked. I believe we were initially assigned an L category – I do not remember the stateroom number. After final payment, an ocean view opened up for the same price so we changed. I was not loving my location (cat G) so when an Ocean view Guarantee opened up for $50CAD more I rolled the dice and booked it as it also gave us $100 OBC. We were assigned a Cat I. I do not remember what cabin number we were originally assigned, but I called and had us moved to 2332 so we would be close to mid-ship and an elevator. Last week a balcony room was less than we paid for our ocean view but we would not get any money back (of course) and we would lose our OBC so we decided to stay put.

You will recall I mentioned above that we decided to get the internet package. Unfortunately during the 50% off sale we did not know we would be needing the internet. We discussed booking it but decided not to. Big mistake. I just booked it today at 30% off instead of 50% and ended up spending $40-50CAD more than I would have. Next time I see a 50% off sale I am just going to buy it right away and cancel it before sailing if required. I am getting good at hindsight…

We are flying in to FLL tomorrow at 11:30AMish. We leave here at the god-awful hour our of 5:15AM. Out little airport is terrible - you pretty much cannot get anywhere unless you stop in Montreal or Toronto first.

Our plan for Thursday & Friday is to get all of our Xmas shopping done so we will be hitting Sawgrass, likely on both days. Last year Sawgrass did not open until the early evening Thursday and we had to wait in a line to get in, but I just found out today it will be opening at 10AM!!! That is terrible for all of the retail employees who will be missing their Thanksgiving dinners. As a tourist who is looking to shop, I am pleased they will be open, but I still feel guilty about it. (not guilty enough to stop me)

Because the aim is to shop, we are staying closer to Sawgrass vs the port. We have the Hampton Inn Sawgrass/Taramac booked. Paul travels frequently for work so is a Hilton Diamond member and we are staying on points. This is one of 2 hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area that are the lowest points per night. We stayed their last year and it was very nice, if I recall it was in a business park area. We have a rental care and decided we would rather save the 10K pts a night and use them toward our next vacation.

As you might be able to tell we are cheap. Well, maybe "cheap" is not the right word, but I would rather save money where I can and go on more frequent vacations as a result.

Awesome! Looking forward to your review. My mother is from New Brunswick, and I went there every summer as a child. In August we went out to see my 92 year old grandmother in Miamichi. Such a beautiful and friendly province!

Hope Royal listens to their guests comments and improves the food quality for your cruise. Please let us know your thoughts on the food.

Awesome! Looking forward to your review. My mother is from New Brunswick, and I went there every summer as a child. In August we went out to see my 92 year old grandmother in Miamichi. Such a beautiful and friendly province!

Hope Royal listens to their guests comments and improves the food quality for your cruise. Please let us know your thoughts on the food.

I lived in Miramichi for a year right after I graduated from University. It was the longest year of my life. I was a University Grad and the best job I could get was at Blockbuster! It really is a lovely little town, I just would never want to live there :)

I already sent a pre-emptive email to RCL about the menu changes after I saw Robyn's menus and comments. I am not happy about it. Based on their response I am not holding out much hope for any changes soon. The good thing about having lower expectations is that it is easier to exceed them I guess...:

We are sorry to read of your disappointment in our menu changes. Please know that your input is valued and we do appreciate your candid feedback. This input helps us learn what is important to our guests and to find new ways of improving. All guest feedback is forwarded to our leadership team and kept on file for review when evaluating future policy changes. Rest assured that Royal Caribbean International strives for one hundred percent customer satisfaction at all levels, and we do not plan to let up that pursuit until our goal is achieved.

We have been getting drink packages almost every sailing. Paul always got select and I either get it or premium. I did have ultimate once but only because it was free through MyVegas. With the way the CAD has been, I have gotten the select the last few cruises.

Paul was not sure if he wanted a drink package this time but I knew I would want one so I booked a select package when it was on sale. The price is CAD was $343.20 + $61.78 gratituity and came to $404.98 CAD. A few days later I realized I had booked it under his name not mine in error. Of course I noticed this AFTER RCL removed the Select package as an option so I was unable to cancel and rebook. I called the Cruise Planner department but they could not move it over to my name and told me to visit guest services on boarding and they can switch it from him to me.

It turns out when the Deluxe packages went on that big sale a few weeks ago, Paul decided he does want a drink package afterall, but wants the deluxe so he is not stuck drinking beer all day (he does not do wine). So we booked the deluxe one in my name as it would not allow me to add it to his because he already had a drink package on his reservation. The price in CAD was $436.24 +$78.52 = $514.76.

I have since received an email offering $10USD +18% per day to upgrade from the select to the Deluxe onboard. As of now I believe we are going to do the upgrade on Paul's res. I will report back if we have issues or are charged anything other than $10US.

I am not sure if I will do it day 1 or maybe see how I get by on wine and beer for a few days while I watch Paul drink yummy cocktails. I do not think I will have the willpower to wait (I love my mojitos and mudslides)! If I want to keep select for at least a little while, we will need to visit guest services right away to swap our drink plans. I will report back and let you know the outcome no matter what we decide to do.

We are not ones to spend the additional funds on the specialty restaurants. We contemplated doing the 2 night BOGO and had it booked but decided to cancel it and use the money toward a drink package. Liquid sustenance. I am not a drunk, I swear!

Based on the recent MDR menu changes that Robyn shared in her review, I really hope we will be able to continue with MDR/WJ dining.

We always do MyTime dining. On our first RCL sailing we did not make any advance reservations for the MDR - big mistake! We were always in a line trying to get in to dinner and watched the ADR line sail by. Ever since then I always book meal times in advance and change them as we go onboard if necessary. We usually eat around 6 but I like the flexibility of being able to change the time if we feel like it.

I have some social anxiety and it is essential for me to only sit with my party. I know it is irrational but I am incredibly uncomfortable eating at the same table as people I do not know. I am terrible at small talk and for some reason hate that thought of others watching me eat. I always email rcldining@rccl.com to request a table for only our party - but I have since discovered that is not necessary when you are on MTD.

I have sat with others before and I am not a fan. Here is the worst example that comes to mind:

On that first sailing on Oasis, we decided to visit the MDR for lunch on a sea day. When we checked in I forgot to tell them we wanted to sit alone and we were led to a 4 top with 2 others already seated. By the time I noticed, it was too late to turn back without appearing rude. So I sucked it up and sat, fully prepared to have a lovely lunch and engage in friendly conversation. It turns out that the other couple owned some kind of self-help company and the husband was a lecturer/moderator and talked like he thought he was the next Tony Robbins. Needless to say it was an uncomfortable lunch and we nodded and smiled as they yapped. They gave us their business card which we politely took. I meant to keep it so I could look it up online when I got home but I tossed it a few hours later. It was not a fun experience.

On that first sailing on Oasis, we decided to visit the MDR for lunch on a sea day. When we checked in I forgot to tell them we wanted to sit alone and we were led to a 4 top with 2 others already seated. By the time I noticed, it was too late to turn back without appearing rude. So I sucked it up and sat, fully prepared to have a lovely lunch and engage in friendly conversation. It turns out that the other couple owned some kind of self-help company and the husband was a lecturer/moderator and talked like he thought he was the next Tony Robbins. Needless to say it was an uncomfortable lunch and we nodded and smiled as they yapped. They gave us their business card which we politely took. I meant to keep it so I could look it up online when I got home but I tossed it a few hours later. It was not a fun experience.

Oof, this sounds like a rough meal! That's the problem with us Canadians - too polite to say no!

I'm going on the Freedom for the first time this December, so I'm really excited to follow this thread!

Another Canadian from Newfoundland. Can't wait for your review. Also have a 15 yr old basketball player who is always too busy to travel with is. Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for letting us follow your cruising! Please let us know how the internet works for you. We will be doing transatlantic next April on Freedom.

I had the Select Drinks package on our Oct Rhapsody sail, and was able to upgrade it with no problems (10 USD + 18%) once onboard. I mostly drink wine, but with this upgrade I was able to get better wines, so I thought it was a good deal - as we got the select from the travel agent anyways.

I share your anxiety with shared dining tables - I always book MTD because we want to sit without having to talk to strangers with food in my mouth and on a different language. Lucky you, you dont have the language barrier!

Happy cruising!

We arrived at FLL safe and sound and on time. We had a rental car booked with Alamo. What a mess! The check in was fine but once we got to the garage there was a huge line up to get cars and very few cars were ready. I would estimate there was over 100 people in line - it was nuts. Obviously Alamo's forecasting and reservation systems were not communicating well. We only had an economy booked so we got our car after about 20 minutes. Most of the others in line had larger vehicles reserved and an economy or the passenger vans would not cut it for them so we ended up passing lots of people. There were some extremely stressed people which I understand. After getting our car we hit Sawgrass and did our shopping. It was not too busy at first but after our movie let out at 7:30pm it was insanely busy. We just got to the hotel and checked in. It is exactly like every other Hampton inn I have stayed at. Sadly I just noticed Old Navy forgot to remove the security tags from 2 items I bought so I have to find an old navy tomorrow.

We are still trying to decide what else to do tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am also on this sailing. I am in Tamarac now, about 5 mins. from you. There is an Old Navy at the Coral Square Mall in Coral Springs. It is on the corner of University and Atlantic. Go down Commercial to University. Take a left on University and head north until you reach Atlantic. Take a right on Atlantic and the mall will be on your left. I recommend this instead of going back to Sawgrass which will be extremely crowded Friday.

I am also on this sailing. I am in Tamarac now, about 5 mins. from you. There is an Old Navy at the Coral Square Mall in Coral Springs. It is on the corner of University and Atlantic. Go down Commercial to University. Take a left on University and head north until you reach Atlantic. Take a right on Atlantic and the mall will be on your left. I recommend this instead of going back to Sawgrass which will be extremely crowded Friday.

Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been getting drink packages almost every sailing. Paul always got select and I either get it or premium. I did have ultimate once but only because it was free through MyVegas. With the way the CAD has been, I have gotten the select the last few cruises.

Paul was not sure if he wanted a drink package this time but I knew I would want one so I booked a select package when it was on sale. The price is CAD was $343.20 + $61.78 gratituity and came to $404.98 CAD. A few days later I realized I had booked it under his name not mine in error. Of course I noticed this AFTER RCL removed the Select package as an option so I was unable to cancel and rebook. I called the Cruise Planner department but they could not move it over to my name and told me to visit guest services on boarding and they can switch it from him to me.

It turns out when the Deluxe packages went on that big sale a few weeks ago, Paul decided he does want a drink package afterall, but wants the deluxe so he is not stuck drinking beer all day (he does not do wine). So we booked the deluxe one in my name as it would not allow me to add it to his because he already had a drink package on his reservation. The price in CAD was $436.24 +$78.52 = $514.76.

I have since received an email offering $10USD +18% per day to upgrade from the select to the Deluxe onboard. As of now I believe we are going to do the upgrade on Paul's res. I will report back if we have issues or are charged anything other than $10US.

I am not sure if I will do it day 1 or maybe see how I get by on wine and beer for a few days while I watch Paul drink yummy cocktails. I do not think I will have the willpower to wait (I love my mojitos and mudslides)! If I want to keep select for at least a little while, we will need to visit guest services right away to swap our drink plans. I will report back and let you know the outcome no matter what we decide to do.

We sail on the Freedom in two weeks and bought the deluxe package for $387 US dollars. Not sure of your conversion rate but I am sure you will enjoy the convenience of not worrying about you bar tab. Looking forward to your review...hope to see some pics