Warning to those booked in 13001 on the Seaside!

houseofduck

Some of you may remember the thread I started on problems booking an Aurea Grand Suite for a party of 5 that I posted over a year and a half ago (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2364683). After repeatedly being told that 13001 was the largest of the Grand Suites, we booked it for 5. We knew ahead of time that it was NOT the biggest and would be a one bedroom based on what we read on cruisecritic and confirming with MSC and our travel agent.

We just returned from our Seaside cruise and were met with a surprise when we checked in last Saturday morning. Apparently, 13001 does NOT sleep 5, but only 4 people! There is a bed in the bedroom (can be split into two beds). There is a single bed in the sofa and a pull down single bed from the ceiling.

MSC's solution to the problem (without notifying us) was to move two of my young children to a Fantastica balcony far away from us on deck 13 (cabin 13203). (Odd, since I didn't think children could be booked in a room alone!) When we did not accept their solution, they offered to move a bed into 13001. Once aboard the ship and after a long day of back and forth between Guest Services and the room hostess assigned to our cabin, a mattress arrived at 11:45pm and was placed on the floor. After more back and forth, a proper bed arrived the next evening.

My warning to others, if you have 5 people booked in 13001, I suggest you make arrangements with MSC before you sail.

Amazing how much misinformation there has been about these grsnd suites........

We are in 13002 in april....we understand its a 1 bedroom and has bunks which is fine as we only have us amd 2 teenage daughters. But when we booked were told it was a 2 bedroom....

Other than the bed issue what did you thinl of the cabin? Do you have any photos?

Many thanks

Kylie

Sleeping on a mattress on the floor even if it was only for one night is simply not okay ! You must call the "higher ups" at MSC corporate offices . They need to made this right . The "solutions " they offered you on board were ridiculous ! Offering a separate room for your kids is totally unacceptable ! You need and deserve compensation for this blunder !

I hope you found some time to enjoy your vacation !

• Like 1

Some of you may remember the thread I started on problems booking an Aurea Grand Suite for a party of 5 that I posted over a year and a half ago (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2364683). After repeatedly being told that 13001 was the largest of the Grand Suites, we booked it for 5. We knew ahead of time that it was NOT the biggest and would be a one bedroom based on what we read on cruisecritic and confirming with MSC and our travel agent.

We just returned from our Seaside cruise and were met with a surprise when we checked in last Saturday morning. Apparently, 13001 does NOT sleep 5, but only 4 people! There is a bed in the bedroom (can be split into two beds). There is a single bed in the sofa and a pull down single bed from the ceiling.

MSC's solution to the problem (without notifying us) was to move two of my young children to a Fantastica balcony far away from us on deck 13 (cabin 13203). (Odd, since I didn't think children could be booked in a room alone!) When we did not accept their solution, they offered to move a bed into 13001. Once aboard the ship and after a long day of back and forth between Guest Services and the room hostess assigned to our cabin, a mattress arrived at 11:45pm and was placed on the floor. After more back and forth, a proper bed arrived the next evening.

My warning to others, if you have 5 people booked in 13001, I suggest you make arrangements with MSC before you sail.

So I guess you did not pay the Service Charge?

The description on MSC website reads:

Grand Suite

1 bedroom/1 bathroom: a queen bed, a double sofa bed and a pullman bed to accommodate up to 5 guests. Which I count can sleep 5 people.

or

2 bedrooms/2 bathrooms: a queen bed in bedroom 1, two single beds in bedroom 2, and a pullman bed for up to 5 guest. Which I count can sleep 5 people too.

Amazing how much misinformation there has been about these grsnd suites........

We are in 13002 in april....we understand its a 1 bedroom and has bunks which is fine as we only have us amd 2 teenage daughters. But when we booked were told it was a 2 bedroom....

Other than the bed issue what did you thinl of the cabin? Do you have any photos?

Many thanks

Kylie

Other than the bed issue, the room was fine. The only other weird thing about the room was that there were only two trash cans in the entire suite - one in the bathroom and a recycling one by the door. The balcony was not as windy as I had expected it to be. Never having had a forward facing balcony before, I thought it would be unusable while the ship was moving, but it was very nice and enjoyable on the balcony!

I don't have many pictures, but here is one of the area outside of the bedroom showing the bed arrangement after the mattress arrived.

attachment.php?attachmentid=414336&stc=1&d=1518403518

13001.thumb.JPG.2f4389f8516e2a42bb23918fcaebff70.JPG

Could putting in a "transformers" type of bunk sofa-bed solve the problem?

It might, but I'm not sure if it would interfere with the bed that pulls down from the ceiling. I thought the sofa would pull-out to a double bed, but I think the living room area is not wide enough for a double bed in the sofa.

Sleeping on a mattress on the floor even if it was only for one night is simply not okay ! You must call the "higher ups" at MSC corporate offices . They need to made this right . The "solutions " they offered you on board were ridiculous ! Offering a separate room for your kids is totally unacceptable ! You need and deserve compensation for this blunder !

I hope you found some time to enjoy your vacation !

We let ourselves be upset about the bed situation for the first night only. After that, we were determined to not let it interfere with our vacation and we did enjoy it!

• Like 1

Other than the bed issue, the room was fine. The only other weird thing about the room was that there were only two trash cans in the entire suite - one in the bathroom and a recycling one by the door. The balcony was not as windy as I had expected it to be. Never having had a forward facing balcony before, I thought it would be unusable while the ship was moving, but it was very nice and enjoyable on the balcony!

I don't have many pictures, but here is one of the area outside of the bedroom showing the bed arrangement after the mattress arrived.

attachment.php?attachmentid=414336&stc=1&d=1518403518

thankyou- very different to what I have seen of cabin 13002. I think this is where the problem lies- they have used one cabin catergory for too many different types of suites. Grand Suite shouldn't have applied to all these cabins

The description on MSC website reads:

Grand Suite

1 bedroom/1 bathroom: a queen bed, a double sofa bed and a pullman bed to accommodate up to 5 guests. Which I count can sleep 5 people.

or

2 bedrooms/2 bathrooms: a queen bed in bedroom 1, two single beds in bedroom 2, and a pullman bed for up to 5 guest. Which I count can sleep 5 people too.

I can tell you that 13001 only sleeps 4. I wonder how many of the other 1 bedroom/1 bathroom suites only sleep 4!

We paid all of the service charges. Although our room hostess could have been a little more helpful initially, it wasn't her fault that MSC booked 5 in the room.

Strange...you complain, but still give them extra money....Europeans will never do that

Strange...you complain, but still give them extra money....Europeans will never do that

I am not complaining about the room hostess. She was not responsible for the bedding situation. It is MSC's fault for stating that the room sleeps 5 when it can only accommodate 4. Not paying the service charge would affect the servers in the dining room also. They also had nothing to do with the bed configuration in the room.

I am not complaining about the room hostess. She was not responsible for the bedding situation. It is MSC's fault for stating that the room sleeps 5 when it can only accommodate 4. Not paying the service charge would affect the servers in the dining room also. They also had nothing to do with the bed configuration in the room.

Excellent thought process. I'm really getting tired of this "Tipping jargon" thats been going on. I don't care which country your from....read your brochure, read your cruise documents!! There is a service charge(gratuity) added IN ADDITION to your cruise fare onto your account. Its not part of your cruise fare. This really frustrates me that people want to take these fees off their account. Service needs to be pretty bad for any adjustment and then you must remember any adjustment must be just for the poor service in a specific area. The added daily gratuity covers several areas of your cruise experience. OK...I said my peace!!

It might, but I'm not sure if it would interfere with the bed that pulls down from the ceiling. I thought the sofa would pull-out to a double bed, but I think the living room area is not wide enough for a double bed in the sofa.

Thanks for the picture. That was exactly why I asked.

I had no idea where the pullman from the ceiling was in relation to the sofa-bed and I had no idea of what was in "front" of the sofa-bed (for a pull-out double).

I am currently talking to someone on fb who has the same issue as you, they cruise in June but in one of the other non 2 bed cabins that was supposed to be 2, they have also been offered a 2nd cabin for part of their family but not where it might be.

I copied your photo so that they could see how you are set up, you would think that bunk beds might be a good answer assuming there is enough room.

I am currently talking to someone on fb who has the same issue as you, they cruise in June but in one of the other non 2 bed cabins that was supposed to be 2, they have also been offered a 2nd cabin for part of their family but not where it might be.

I copied your photo so that they could see how you are set up, you would think that bunk beds might be a good answer assuming there is enough room.

The bunk bed may work if there is enough space behind the bed that pulls down from the ceiling. At least they have enough time between now and June to work something out. We had no advance warning.

So, they are not in 13001 and have the same issue? That probably means that none of the one bedrooms accommodate five.

Houseofduck, first I want to say I admire the way you handled this very bad situation ! I was thrilled to hear that you did not let this fiasco ruin your whole vacation .

Secondly , thanks for taking the time to share your experience and alert others who may find themselves in the same situation .

But thirdly , please tell me you contacted MSC corporate about this mess. You deserve something for dealing with the headache !

I am happy to hear that you didn't cancel the service charges . You are correct in stating that that would be punishing or denying the wrong people . The crew on board that served you were not at fault , at least in the bed situation . MSC owes you more than an apology and they are very lucky that you handled it the way you did ! Most people would not have been as kind !

• Like 1

Houseofduck, first I want to say I admire the way you handled this very bad situation ! I was thrilled to hear that you did not let this fiasco ruin your whole vacation .

Secondly , thanks for taking the time to share your experience and alert others who may find themselves in the same situation .

But thirdly , please tell me you contacted MSC corporate about this mess. You deserve something for dealing with the headache !

I am happy to hear that you didn't cancel the service charges . You are correct in stating that that would be punishing or denying the wrong people . The crew on board that served you were not at fault , at least in the bed situation . MSC owes you more than an apology and they are very lucky that you handled it the way you did ! Most people would not have been as kind !

Thank you for the kind words!

We booked this cruise with a travel agent. He is going to be speaking with MSC on our behalf.