Cooking classes on koningsdam

Chocolatemom2

We are going to be on the September 16th sailing of the Koningsdam and were wondering if there are any cooking classes on koningsdam. And if there are any, I’m assuming we have to wait until we are aboard to sign up?Any info is greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance

From what I gathered on another thread I started about this, you cannot sign up until you board. There are two types - one is an actual hands-on class and they charge for it, the others are more demonstrations and are free. This should be available on all HAL ships. The web site has a list of the possible events (assuming you can find it).

I attended a pay cooking class on previous HAL cruise and really enjoyed it. Lunch after in Pinnacle Grill. On last sea day . Have to remember to sign up if they offer this on Konigsdam 12/10 cruise. Lunch was same dishes we had prepared in class but cooked by Pinnacle chefs. Was fun.

I attended a pay cooking class on previous HAL cruise and really enjoyed it. Lunch after in Pinnacle Grill. On last sea day . Have to remember to sign up if they offer this on Konigsdam 12/10 cruise. Lunch was same dishes we had prepared in class but cooked by Pinnacle chefs. Was fun.

Class has changed. They no longer include lunch in Pinnacle.

Class is now thru America ‘s test kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Class has changed. They no longer include lunch in Pinnacle.

Class is now thru America ‘s test kitchen.

I agree - we are 5 star and get the cooking classes free as one of the 5 star perks. In the past we have enjoyed the hands on classes and lunch in the pinnacle. But - this past January on the Koningsdam with America's test kitchen that all changed. It is now just a watch them make something which is the same thing as the general America's test kitchen class - just a smaller group -and that is it. No hands on - no lunch - we did get an American Test kitchen Apron - certainly a downgrade from the previous 5 star perk.

BTW - for the free America's test kitchen classes on the Koningsdam plan to get there at least 30 minutes early if you want a seat. The area is small and gets crowded quickly.

I agree - we are 5 star and get the cooking classes free as one of the 5 star perks. In the past we have enjoyed the hands on classes and lunch in the pinnacle. But - this past January on the Koningsdam with America's test kitchen that all changed. It is now just a watch them make something which is the same thing as the general America's test kitchen class - just a smaller group -and that is it. No hands on - no lunch - we did get an American Test kitchen Apron - certainly a downgrade from the previous 5 star perk.

BTW - for the free America's test kitchen classes on the Koningsdam plan to get there at least 30 minutes early if you want a seat. The area is small and gets crowded quickly.

I’m also 5 star. The classes I’ve done we actually did hands on. I’ve done pasta , cake decorating and eggs.

We were on the Koningsdam in January and the Eurodam in March. On the Eurodam, we had a chance to speak with the America's Kitchen representative who readily admitted without our asking that the 5-star perk had been greatly diluted and was now basically a waste of time. We had the invitation in our room at boarding, but when we went to register we declined because it was simply a cooking show with no hands-on and no tasting involved. That much, I can get from our TV anytime I want :confused: and I can wear my bathrobe if I want ;p

We paid for the hands-on class several years ago when it first began. Worth every penny! So much fun! Class had 12 people, everyone cooked, got instruction from the chef when needed, and had lunch. It was a real highlight of our ship experience! So HAL makes it a 5 star perk, loses the revenue they had been getting and ruins the event itself. Go figure.

We were on the Koningsdam in January and the Eurodam in March. On the Eurodam, we had a chance to speak with the America's Kitchen representative who readily admitted without our asking that the 5-star perk had been greatly diluted and was now basically a waste of time. We had the invitation in our room at boarding, but when we went to register we declined because it was simply a cooking show with no hands-on and no tasting involved. That much, I can get from our TV anytime I want :confused: and I can wear my bathrobe if I want ;p

WOW! I bet HAL wouldn't be very happy to hear this description!

Our "first" ATK 5 star class was scheduled for the same time as the Mariner Reception and Awards Ceremony, so we didn't go to the class.

I asked the Front Desk if this was a mistake in scheduling. No explanation, but 2 aprons on the bed the same day.

WOW! I bet HAL wouldn't be very happy to hear this description!

Our "first" ATK 5 star class was scheduled for the same time as the Mariner Reception and Awards Ceremony, so we didn't go to the class.

I asked the Front Desk if this was a mistake in scheduling. No explanation, but 2 aprons on the bed the same day.

They did... It was part of my survey comments.

Ours was scheduled for a port day (???) and we did not get the aprons :(

We paid for the hands-on class several years ago when it first began. Worth every penny! So much fun! Class had 12 people, everyone cooked, got instruction from the chef when needed, and had lunch. It was a real highlight of our ship experience! So HAL makes it a 5 star perk, loses the revenue they had been getting and ruins the event itself. Go figure.

Agree, the old ones (not ATK) were "such fun", but even after it became a 5 star reward.

On one Collectors cruise we attended 2 classes with mostly the same Collectors, most of whom were 5 stars. A really compatible group, lots of laughs. The wine and conversation flowed at the Pinnacle lunch. A very memorable time!

I wasn't terribly impressed with the ATK presenter this past February on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The subject was brownies. The presenter actually said that they polled the testers at ATK and the Ghiradelli boxed mix was the unanimous winner. So they decided just to tweak the recipe. With that, I left the presentation and made a mental note to buy a box of Ghiradelli when I got home.

Oh, yes, port days. For "operational considerations" or something. We've had that timing a couple of times on the old program. I can see with a 7 day cruise, only 2 seas days, it could be hard to fit everything in.

The ATK aprons are nicer than the old ones, so I was happy to get them.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the ATK presenter this past February on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The subject was brownies. The presenter actually said that they polled the testers at ATK and the Ghiradelli boxed mix was the unanimous winner. So they decided just to tweak the recipe. With that, I left the presentation and made a mental note to buy a box of Ghiradelli when I got home.

Presenter said the same thing in May. It was actually a full-on test they did of many boxed brownie mixes, and the Ghiradelli Chocolate Supreme was their #1 pick. The shipboard presenter mentioned it as part of the spiel but said that this shipboard brownie recipe was better than the box mix. We haven't tried the recipe, yet, though I did try the Ghiradelli mix, and it really does make awesome brownies! Very moist and chewy. The Triple Fudge one is equally good, too. Guess now I'll have to find that recipe card to see how the ATK one stacks up.

On the Veendam in May, they said that all classes would be on port days. The first one was "How to crack eggs and make a meringue." I declined as politely as I could as cracking eggs was not worth missing a port day! I did not get an apron. I made negative comments in the survey. I agree with whomever said they were trying to dilute the 5 star benefits.

I am not sure they are trying to dilute the 5 star benefits, but the Cooking Class, as first imagined, does not fit into the ATK set-up too well. No hands-ons, no lunch, no apron + recipes if a 5 star doesn't attend because of it being held on a port day.

With 7 day cruises it is not the easiest thing to fit everything into 2 seas days, as is often the need, with the rest of the cruise being port days. Nevertheless, with no Pinnacle lunch appended to this ATK Class, HAL can hold the Class anytime, not just before lunch, so it is doable.

One thing about "diluting" the 5 star benefits: I note the Prinsendam doesn't have the set-up to offer the complimentary 5 star spa day, but instead offer a third 5 star complimentary Pinnacle dinner. They don't have to do that, so that is a positive approach.