Clean house before you leave?

flashdog_1

Does anyone else make sure that his/her house is totally in order before leaving for the cruise, so that upon arrival back at home you will have a comfortable feeling instead of "look at this mess. Oh, there's that thing I was looking for all during the cruise." etc.

Mine is clean and we make a rule that the bags come right to the washing machine and get emptied as we wash instead of getting brought all over the house and piled up for next week.We put our souvenirs in a carry on so they don't get mixed up with all the clothes.That way we can get them put on display and hopefully retain some vacation feel. We even have a bon voyage package we took home and we put it up every now and then between cruises to make us happy.:D

Seeeuuuu

Jeff

I am sooooooo glad to know that i am not the only clean house freak, i make sure the house is clean, floors are mopped, beds are clean and NO dirty laundry, i clean anything out of the fridge that may go bad while we are away, i even go as far as to buy the bottle of outdoor window windex, the one that plugs onto the hose and spray all the outsides of the windows clean, this is incase someone trys to break in our house the police will be able to get good prints. I know, odd but true. Oh and my husband always takes the car to the car wash right before we leave, only to have it sit in some airport parking lot for ten days collecting dust.

Absolutely spotless. When we have parties at home that last until 4 or 5 in the morning, we stay awake and clean and put away everything before we hit the sack. No matter what it takes because we just can't stand waking up to a trashed house.

Oh thank you so much--I thought I was such a freak!! At least my family makes me feel that way!! Before vacations I spend so much time making everything as neat and clean as possible. I love the feeling of coming home and being able to relax knowing nothing has to be done immediately except greet the animals and get used to being home again!

On our last mini vacation, we were burgled and my first thought was, "Thank the gods I cleaned the house first." Thankfully, they got nothing due to a hair-trigger and noisey alarm. Still, I always clean because it's the last thing I want to do when we get home. It's bad enough to have to make peace with the cats and unpack. We even take it one step further and do laundry the last day of the cruise so everything is clean when we arrive home. We also make sure that there's stuff in the freezer for dinner that nice so shopping isn't necessary immediately. That day is for resting up and consoling yourself.

Happy sails,

Charlie

i agree CLEAN BEFORE U GO ! i wish it was the cleaning lady doing it the day before i come home ;) alas............. have to do it myself before i leave ºÜº

the only time i didn't scrub BEFORE i left was when we left the 20 something kids home alone............ ;) that also DID insure a clean house on return {to detroy the evidence i assume !} LOL !

• 2 weeks later...

I always clean before I go anywhere. Even if it's a quick weekend trip to Disneyland or the beach or whereever... I hate, hate coming home to a house that you look around and wonder how! I'll even vacummn and run a mop right before departure to make sure. Laundry has to be completed and upon return, right to the laundry room. I don't want to think about it...

Dishes in the dishwasher are typically cleaned and put away as well. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one out there who does this kind of thing.

Dona :)

I always clean my home before going away, even just overnight, so when I come back I can continue to enjoy the "glow" of whatever I was doing while away. For longer trips (7 days or more) even the drawers and closets get cleaned out!

Part of keeping the "glow" involves not have to deal with the laundry the day I get home (7 day trips or more)--I ship laundry, gifts and other stuff I won't need home to arrive two days after I do. (It never costs more than $20.) Those two days are like a continuation of my time away!

Oh how I can relate! We scheduled a "popcorn" ceiling removal and thought it would be a good idea to be on a cruise while it happened. Knowing it would be messy we scheduled a cleaning service to come in afterwards. To this day I don't know how bad it really was, our daughter was home while this went on and she thought it was a smart move. Regardless, coming home to a clean house is the ticket!

I, too, get to join this group of "freaks"!!! My dh and kids get so disgusted with me because I am running around dumping clorox in the toilets, emptying trash cans, and sweeping the floors as we walk out.

When we had been married just a couple of months we took a last minute trip (decided at midnight to go and left at 4:00 am) so I left everything pretty messy. While I was gone, my snobby cousin needed to borrow something so went into my house and I was mortified that she seen my house like that. Never again! That was 38 years ago! She never came back...

I never go to bed at night unless everything is in order... Would hate to die in the middle of night in a messy house!:)

Count me in as well. House gets a "spring" cleanning before we go away. Good reason to purge the house of clothes that have been outgrown and stuff that we just don't use anymore.

I am of the same mind as some of you....I would hate for someone to break in and see my messy house.....lol

Kim

I agree that it's nice to come back to a clean house, but now that I leave my 3 darling sons (teen to early 20s) home alone I like to spread stacks of laundry all over the place so they can't party. (Or at least I'll have a good idea if they did!!!):D

Well, I do clean my house, but I'm ashamed to admit that my reasoning is quite different from most of y'all's.

I would absolutely be mortified if something happened which caused police or firemen to enter in its "normal" condition.

This is the year I finally hire a housecleaner.. as soon as I get back from my cruise. Might as well since the house will at least be presentable enough to allow someone in to see it.

Besides, Mom is coming for an overnight before we leave. eGads! I don't have enough time to do all that is required.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I CLEAN MINE....I HAVE VERTIGO FOR 3 DAYS AND THE THOUGHT OF TRYING TO VACUUM & DO HOUSEWORK MIGHT MAKE IT WORSE,LOL....THE LAUNDRY WE BRING HOME & THE DEPRESSION :( OF BEING BACK IS QUITE ENOUGH FOR ME..... DON'T WANT A DIRTY HOUSE ON TOP OF ALL THAT..........

Archived