sleeping on the balcony

rascal101

if you are booking a room w/ a balcony you will not want to miss the chance to put a mattress on the balcony and spend the night.this should not be missed and was a memorable highlight of my cruise.i also had great company.

if you are booking a room w/ a balcony you will not want to miss the chance to put a mattress on the balcony and spend the night.this should not be missed and was a memorable highlight of my cruise.i also had great company.

Not a bad idea.............I've took many naps, but never slept on it at night..............

I wouldn't recommend it for sleep walkers, though...........

You do have to be careful if you have an aft cabin. We didn't realize that the smoke stack was at the rear of the ship and when they go full speed ahead during the night the stack spews out little embers that drift onto your deck. While you are in port someone comes and washes it down; but until that happens you track soot everywhere. I'm afraid your mattress might catch fire...so check where that smoke stack is!

• 5 months later...
You do have to be careful if you have an aft cabin. We didn't realize that the smoke stack was at the rear of the ship and when they go full speed ahead during the night the stack spews out little embers that drift onto your deck. While you are in port someone comes and washes it down; but until that happens you track soot everywhere. I'm afraid your mattress might catch fire...so check where that smoke stack is!

The ashes and cinders you see are from the trash burning which they do at night.

• 1 month later...

One thing to keep in mind is they wash down the out side of the ship in the very early morning hours...lol We had booked a Royal Family Suite with a large balcony with two doors to the balcony.We would leave the sliding door from our bedroom open at night. I woke up very early one morning to water droplets spraying in to our bed. I got up and looked out to see 2 workers on a rig hanging on the side of the ship spraying the ship down.

Word of caution, you might want to take a rain coat...LOL

One thing to keep in mind is they wash down the out side of the ship in the very early morning hours...lol We had booked a Royal Family Suite with a large balcony with two doors to the balcony.We would leave the sliding door from our bedroom open at night. I woke up very early one morning to water droplets spraying in to our bed. I got up and looked out to see 2 workers on a rig hanging on the side of the ship spraying the ship down.

I needed your post!! LOL!!

It's a great thing to think about... GOOD MORNING!!! Here's you balcony shower!! And much more surprising if you're in bed asleep!! :D

Thank you for the funny post!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just be careful of what you do. These balconies are not exactly private. :eek:

I've only napped on mine, never slept on it overnight. I love napping just after getting back from a day in port, before waking up refreshed to get all dressed up for dinner! My DH took a picture of me sleeping on our balcony and it is one of my favorite pictures because I was truly relaxed for once! (we have three beautiful children, but they were home so I got to rest!)

Jen :D

I thought about opening the balcony door on previous cruises.

I never thought about water comming in from the maintenance cruise cleaning the ship.

Thanks for the word of caution and a funny post!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have never slept on the balcony but we almost always leave the door open overnight. We do not book a stern room due to the exhaust coming back into the room. I had not heard about the ash but if they burn refuse overnight it makes sense. We always try to get a room between the two elevator shafts mid-ship for several reasons. I am not sure I would want to sleep on the balcony. I must make a mental note to bring the binoculars so that I can check out the other balconies! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

At least one night on the cruise and many naps during the days. Very relaxing in the Southern lattitudes, best in the summer up North. The reclining loungers in the suites are great. Most balconies are private in most suites, but this cruise coming up, I will have to look left, look right, look up and down just in case.

Have Fun

For those of you advocating leaving your balcony doors open.. please don't do that. It screws up the air conditioning for those around you. If you want to sleep out there, go for it. Just leave the balcony doors closed.

• 2 years later...
I will give that a try.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't usually have a problem with what anyone else does on the ship, but dragging the mattress from the bed to the balcony is something I would never consider. Imagine going to someone's house, sa a guest and dragging their mattress out onto their porch for the night. It can get damaged, damp and it can ruin the mattress. Have you ever seen them having to remove mattresses and disposing the ruined ones at some of the ports? You wouldn't dare pull the mattress off a bed at a resort and carry it outside because they would charge you for the damage. If you have to sleep on the balcony, please be considerate and bring your own air-mattress to sleep on.

Two words

SEAGULL POOP

Archived