Cruising Grand on the Amsterdam Asia/Pacific

arzz

September 19/20, 2008

Ship’s time: 10:30 pm - Sat, Sept 20

Chicago time: 1:36 am - Sun, Sept 21

474 nautical miles from Seattle

3492 nautical miles from Hakodate, Japan

Grand cruising on HAL can be a vocation. This is our second “grand cruise” -- during our first experience we did a 24 day segment of the Prinsendam’s 2007 South America Voyage that in the end became a 27 day voyage of a lifetime. We had discovered the Holland America Grand Cruise.

In the after glow of our first rather grand experience we put a deposit on this year’s 65 day Asia/Australia/Pacific adventure on the Amsterdam. It is currently “Day 1” and we are at sea. We still view ourselves as tourists rather than one of the many on board who float ecstatically from grand voyage to grand voyage each year. Only time, the after glow of this adventure, and our budgets will tell us if our attitude will change.

Unlike your typical 7-14 day cruise on a Grand Cruise you board with a ship full of folks with whom you will share the next many days. You participate in a mini-society orchestrated by the activities offered by the cruise staff, the services and luxuries provided by the best of Holland America’s crew, and the exotic treats of many days spent in far away locales. Some come for the touring, others for the social life and still others for a non-stop shopping experience that is much more interesting than your local mall. We all share the same vessel and crew.

Yesterday was a typical day in Seattle -- cool and overcast. During the two days we spent in the Pacific Northwest the overcast skies were so heavy and low there were no mountains to be seen.

We enjoyed breakfast at the Edgewater Hotel in full view of Pier 30 and our ship, the Amsterdam. Expectations of our upcoming 65 day cruise to Asia, Australia and the South Pacific rose to a fevered pitch as embarkation time approached. We arrived at the pier around 11:15 am and were able to virtually walk on board -- no crowds yet.

At the lido lunch line we were greeted by Gede, who had been our wonderful dining room waiter on our short Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam in May. True to what they say about HAL staff he recognized us before we recognized him. We chatted a while and then showed him our dining assignment -- and we discovered that once again we will be enjoying the excellent services of our friend, Gede, during our dinners.

A little later we were again surprised to discover friends from home on board whom we did not expect to be with us at all. And then there are the 50-60 wonderful folks whom we have gotten to know via cruise critic on our very active roll call over the past 18 months. We were able to identify each other because many were wearing the wonderful lapel pins (or what I like to call our “super secret decoder pins”) that were designed with the help of fellow CC cruiser Foxpaw, or the golf shirts that sport the same logo facilitated by fellow CC cruisers Slotl and Tab K. Today our very active cruise critic group had their first official “meet and greet” organized my Wowzo -- what a fantastic gathering that was.

Grand cruisers are treated very special by HAL. Even those of us who inhabit the environs on the lower decks are treated as especially well. We booked a dolphin deck outside cabin and received as an early booking bonus a generous on board credit, prepaid hotel charges, free advance shipping of two suitcases per person, free air or a cruise price reduction as well as generous gifts from our TA.

Yesterday as the ship turned around from a 7 day Alaska cruise to the 65 day cruise they not only had to provision but upload all of the extra baggage that we passengers carted with us for the duration. We were extremely impressed that we received all of our suitcases (both those shipped by fedex and those carried by us to the port) before the safety drill! What an incredible job the Holland America crews do. We really feel like we are coming home when we are on board these ships.

This evening they delivered new in room breakfast menus that are much expanded from the old ones. There are additional selections available in all categories including things like fresh squeezed orange juice, donuts, seasonal berries, papaya, danish rusk, pancakes, french toast, waffles, lox and much more. I wonder if this menu is just for our voyage or has HAL expanded their daily in room breakfast offerings on all ships?

Then, there are the pillow gifts. Yesterday we all received battery alarm clocks that can be set to 24 hour time -- and none too soon as the turning back of time has begun. We gained one hour last night, and will do the same again tonight, and so on for the next several days.

This evening we returned to our cabin to discover an exquisite red leather bound journal with our cruise itinerary inside and a note from Captain van Zaane.

On board we have a lecture series, digital photography classes, craft classes, trivia, bingo, movies and much more. I do not see myself getting bored on sea days.

Last night we had some fog -- as we looked out through our now seemingly frosted window we could hear the ship’s whistle playing the repeating honks of the fog horn. During the day today we had some showers and some sun -- very pleasant temperatures and very smooth seas. We do hope this weather lasts.

Tomorrow is another 25 hour day from which to enjoy the amenities of the Amsterdam.

Roxanne & Ed,

We wish we were with you ... and Gede! Although he may not remember us, would you please pass on our best wishes to him. We had so much fun with you at dinner during that (too) brief Alaska cruise in May, with Gede and his team spoiling us all shamelessly. We envy your dining partners for this Grand Voyage.

Your posting was delightful to read (as always) and hope you have the opportunity to continue to do so, in order that we can vicariously travel with you.

Bon appetit and bon voyage,

-Cat & Dave

PS: Do they do trivia on Grand Voyages? If so, we have high expectations for "No Guts, No Glory!";)

love reading about your trip. There are two other blogs going on one from the Stansfields, and one from our good friend Jeff aka tan man. we have travelled with him on two World Cruises,he post's amazing photos all the way through your trip. If and when you see him,please tell him Allan and Sandra send there love and we are JEALOUS of you all. Alsas

Thank you so much arzz for including us on your grand cruise. I got off the Amsterdam less than two hours before you got on! We sailed with several people who were staying on for the Grand Cruise! Sounds wonderful. I will look forward to your subsequent posts. Wish I were there with you all.

arzz Thank You so very much for bringing CCers along in your journey. I will so look forward to you reports. We loved the Amsterdam and I know so many very special crew that are sailing with you right now.

Tell Valerie her Yummer friends will be following along:)

Thanks again for doing this:)

I'm delighted to learn you'll be posting of this journey. How I would love to be aboard! Perhaps someday I'll be able to take this cruise, as I consider it would truly be my personal voyage of a lifetime.

I have a friend aboard, too, and this way I'll be able to keep track of where he is. It will feel a bit like I'm along for the ride.

Thanks for posting. :)

I am so glad you are including us on your Grand Cruise! I can't wait to read all your posts. Someday, hubby and I hope to be on a Grand Cruise, too. We enjoyed our time on the Amsterdam so will look forward to hearing about her again. Happy cruising!!!

Thanks, Roxanne!

This is GREAT! I feel like I'm more "onboard" now! And, of course, one month from tomorrow, I will join you all in Singapore for the second half of the cruise!

Last year, I so enjoyed those 8 glorious days at-sea crossing the Pacific from Seattle to Petropavlovsk. It's a very rare long at-sea period for a cruise ship.....and the daily rhythm and routine is quite relaxing, refreshing and enjoyable....especially after all the planning, packing, traveling, etc. to get aboard ship.

Let the packing continue here......:eek:

Best Regards,

Nick

love reading about your trip. There are two other blogs going on one from the Stansfields, and one from our good friend Jeff aka tan man. we have travelled with him on two World Cruises,he post's amazing photos all the way through your trip. If and when you see him,please tell him Allan and Sandra send there love and we are JEALOUS of you all. Alsas

Do you have the link for Jeff's blog?

I saw that there is another at: http://cruisingtocambodia.blogspot.com/

Ship’s Time: 10:35 pm Sunday, September 21

Chicago Time: 2:35 am Monday, September 22

Distance from Seattle: 986.1 nautical miles

Distance to Hakodate, Japan: 2980 nautical miles

Sea and air temperatures about 50 degrees

Sea state is moderate, breezes around 17 knots

It has been just another 25 hour day at sea. It began with early morning exercises, a lovely breakfast in the dining room where we met some more of the interesting folks on board, followed by a nice, brisk walk around the deck (distance traveled -- over a mile). Ahhhhh. Then we did our daily game of “killer trivia” where we learned that a group of bears is called a “sleuth” and that a great horned owl can rotate his head 270 degrees.

Afternoon challenges included games of checkers in the Explorer’s Lounge, reading, and a cookie break. It is a tough life here on board the Amsterdam.

Tonight’s dinner dress was formal. I donned my new black cocktail dress and then discovered that I neither owned nor brought with me a slip that was short enough for my new duds. I decided to wear the dress anyway. All I had to do was walk with my legs close together and avoid standing directly in front of bright lights.

Then there was DH who never owned a tux until last month and who, to my knowledge, has worn rental tuxedos fewer times than he has fingers on one hand. He cleaned up real nice and looked really spiffy in his new formal suit. I personally checked him out real carefully from top to bottom before we went up to the Ocean Bar for cocktails. On the way up we ran into a very nice couple whom we met yesterday and we all proceeded to the bar together.

It was about this time that I discovered that my new “Jessica Simpson” patent leather pumps were incredibly painful to wear. In retrospect I am still not sure how I managed not to discover this before packing and sending them to the ship. Not wanting to take the time to go back to the room I continued on, now walking with my legs close together, avoiding bright lights and barefoot.

We then all sat down together on a couch in the Ocean Bar. DH glanced down, and yes, you guessed it, there he was sitting there all duded up in his spiffy new tux with his new found friends and his barefoot wife keeping her legs close together -- and he had forgotten to zip.

We were, quite frankly, afraid to go to the Captain’s Reception after dinner as who knows what else we might have discovered that we had forgotten to check.

Well, tomorrow will be just another 25 hour day.

thanks for taking me along on your cruise enjoy this cruise for me i am jealous im not there enjoy the sun fun and weather nothing like cruising in my opinion. if you get a chance in the ocean bar please say hello to romeo a great bartender tell him debbie from ny says hello he is a wonderful bartender

and please keep us all cruising along with you it makes us feel like we are all there... enjoy your day.

Unfortunately, do to pre booked cruises, we could not do this cruise this year. BUT ...all is not lost. Holland America will do it again and we will be on it at that time.

We will be monitoring this board for all your comments, both good and bad as well as all your suggestions and recommendations for tours and tour guides in all these wonderful ports.

Please keep us informed. Thanks and all of you have a WONDERFUL CRUISE!

Steve and Henny Zimmerman

Here's where the Amsterdam is as of Monday afternoon:

1061559661_Amsterdam--MondayPM.jpg.14337c0575892e55cefb3ad581f2b867.jpg

Click on the thumbnail above for a larger view.

You can obtain position reports, updated every few hours, for all your favorite cruise ships, here:

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/cruiseships.phtml

There's a huge amount of information available on this website, including weather, wave heights, etc. for each ship. Enjoy!

Nick

Thank you arzz for posting from the Amsterdam. I look forward to having a Grand Voyage thru your eyes. I already have a great visual of the first formal nite! :D:D

And thanks Foxpaw for the ship tracking link. I wondered (with Petropavlovsk cancelled) if the Amsterdam would stay on course to do scenic cruising of the Aleutians and now I can follow along to see.

Archived