Luggage....How much???

bmvcanton

Ok...so I know I'm probably a bit excessive in the luggage department, but I was just wondering about everyone else...For a 7 night cruise, how much do you bring? It that for 1 or 2 people, and do you dress for Formal nights, etc.?

Just a little background so you know why I overpack!!:D My dh and I are over the road truck drivers and we NEVER get to even wear anything even remotely nice, let alone dressed up at our jobs, so I have clothes and SHOES just begging for a cruise!! I like to dress nice for all the dinners and yes, I have to bring more than 1 pair of black shoes.:rolleyes:

Can't wait to hear responses, I may end up just being part of the norm!!

We each take one large expandable suitcase, about 26 - 28 inches in size. We just pack more or less clothes depending on how long we'll be gone. We each have some sort of carry-on, too, with our miscellaneous headphones, book, etc. in it.

Our problem is the weight restrictions, but I manage to pack under a few pounds of the limit.

I agree with you, though, about the clothes. I live in a, well....let's say "casual" town. So, I like to wear my nicer clothes on cruises.

I also limit the number of shoes I take, because they weigh a lot.

Edited by pcur

If you are flying to port, be sure you know the luggage restrictions for your airline. I will never pay to check luggage, so make sure I comply with whatever the rule is for size, weight, number of bags.

You might want to consider how you will spend your time. Will you be dancing until dawn, or lazing at the pool or ...? as that will have much to do with what clothes you wish to take. Be aware that it's unlikely that anyone will notice or care if you wear the same thing more than once.

I take one dress that I wear on both formal nights, using different accessories, and then do mix and match to cover dinner wear, and then a small assortment of casual and workout clothes.

Really, take whatever you're willing to haul on board but be aware that you might have way too much fun to bother getting around to all those outfits. Definitely take 2 bathing suits.

two of my best friends were truckers and I still have a cousin in the biz! You are quite deserving of a cruise, let someone else do the driving for a change!!!

Thanks goodness, we don't have to fly to port....a 12 hr drive to Miami is a piece of cake for us!! :eek:

I always say I'm going to cut back on the next cruise, vacation, or trip, but come packing time...well, let's just say I keep plenty of $$ available to tip the porters so all my stuff gets there.

Hopefully, I'll be a little better on this cruise than our last, 11 night Panama Canal, but I will have to bring 2 formal night outfits, just so they get a little play time!!:D

Our upcoming cruise on 9/30 is b2b for 33 nights. We have 6 formal nights. So, I did a "dry pack" to see how my weight was in my suitcase. I'm packing mostly jersey tops for day and night, and jersey short dresses to avoid wrinkles, and my formal wear is dressy tops with georgette crepe skirts or pants. Very lightweight.

I managed to just barely keep under the weight limit, but it's doable. DH won't take up as much in his suitcase, so when I divide our stuff up (I never put all of anyone's clothes in one suitcase, just in case of loss or delay), I'll just make my "half" a little larger in his suitcase!! ;):D

Flying is the ONLY thing that restricts my packing! If I didn't have to fly, I'd bring everything, AND the kitchen sink!

We always bring formalwear for all the formal nights...it's fun, and we like looking great! Even with flying, we still pack the formal stuff!

I bring enough luggage to carry all the things I want to bring. That just seems logical to me. But if you think it's more logical to bring more luggage than you need, or less luggage than you need, that's fine too. Enjoy your trip.

We will be gone for 38 days (b2b plus pre and post cruise stays). We each bring a 21" suitcase plus a small nylon carry-0n duffle each. I am bringing cocktail length but many outfits (most are chiffon, silk or jersey). 2 swimsuits and 4 pr shoes--all black-- plus many accessories. I use plastic ziplock baggies and don't even try to prevent wrinkles; if they can't be steamed out by me I send them out for pressing only. We also bring a netbook, 2 kindles, 2 ipods.

Beth if you are driving bring all you want. My wife and I are a bit different there. We go by weight. I bring right at about 50 lbs (1 bag) and she brings 100lbs (2 bags). We also pack one empty duffle for dirty clothes and then we have room in the suitcases for what we bring back. In other words we bring 3 cases plus one small rolling carry-on. We fly Southwest so do incur any luggage fees.

Have a great time and bring whatever your heart desires.

This is great...I feel better already!!! I like to bring everything I think I'll need too. I try not to bring too many extra outfits, but it's hard to know waht I might feel like wearing. I do try to keep my ship day clothes and Labadee clothes the same and to a minimum and I don't mind washing out my workout clothes. We usually bring our largest suitcase, a large garmet bag/suitcase, and one other. This usually holds all our stuff, bath, etc, and even our snorkle gear. We carry on our computer, one bathing suit, books, etc. We try not to make our carry on very heavy, so we're not having to haul it around.

Thanjs for all the info!!:)

No matter the length of the trip or how we are arriving, we prefer to pack so we are able to handle our own luggage.

We take just enough for a week, sending things out to be laundered or dry cleaned. We can manage, with formal clothing, one suitcase, one large rolling garment bag and one rolling carry on. Plus my large purse so I can have handy our travel documents, my makeup and jewelry.

I do admire people who can pack in a carry on, I haven't been able to yet, but then again I prefer not to take much onto an airplane, I like to be unencumbered as possible.

DH and I usually take 7 day cruises. We have two rolling suit bags that have lots of zipper pockets. Those two hold all of our clothes and we cross pack also so if one goes missing we each still have the basics.

We also take a rolling duffel 28" or 32" im not sure. Its the type that has a lower half and an upper half. This holds most of our toiletries and misc extras. And somewhere we pack a folded duffel for stuff we picked up along the way.

If we are flying we check it all, never had them weigh over 50 and so far have never had to pay a bag fee.

We also give all three to the porters at the ship. The only thing we carry on is laptop and my backpack. That way we can explore without being burdened by heavy bags while we are waiting until 1:00.

I have almost always brought home something I never wore, but to make up for it there is usually one item I wore several times, like a favorite pair of shorts or shirt.

Thanks goodness, we don't have to fly to port....a 12 hr drive to Miami is a piece of cake for us!! :eek:

I always say I'm going to cut back on the next cruise, vacation, or trip, but come packing time...well, let's just say I keep plenty of $$ available to tip the porters so all my stuff gets there.

Hopefully, I'll be a little better on this cruise than our last, 11 night Panama Canal, but I will have to bring 2 formal night outfits, just so they get a little play time!!:D

If you don't have to fly, take whatever you like!!!! At least 1 suitcase each (I would take two, one larger case for clothes & 1 smaller one for shoes, toiletries, hangers, etc! :o) We are flying to Puerto Rico out of Seattle at the end of this month for our cruise on the AOS and I will be taking 2 suitcases (luckily flying in first class-so no baggage fees :D)

I like to dress up at night and I have been know to wear several outfits per day, so I bring lots of clothes to choose from! Don't feel bad about whatever you end up bringing, I am sure there are lots of people who are like us out there. ;)

From what I have learned from CC is to do alot of mix & matching. I will lay out a few slacks and match up several blouses that will go with it then add differant accents. I like at least one dress for Formal and a nice Evening pair of slacks with a fancy top. I actually bought last year, these One Soles then interchanged the tops ( Shoes), which snap on. The shoe itself is expensive, but you can have one shoe and change out the tops giving you several pairs of shoes in one. http://www.onesole.com/soles.htm

I still end up overpacking my clothes, one of these days I will get it right.:)

For seven days it is one large suitcase each and one carry on for each of us. For 14 days it is one more large suitcase between us. We don't worry about airlines surcharges if we can afford the cruise we can afford the surcharge, however as we generally fly SWA we haven't incurred one yet.:)

My boyfriend and I always pack way too much. Just a habit I suppose but I often change clothes several times throughout the day so I tend to bring more than the average vacationer on a 7-day cruise.

For the two of us, we bring 3 suitcases, 1 garment bag, 2 carryons, and 2 laptop bags. :)

Apparently a lot of people bring a lot of suitcases! On our 4 nighter this spring, we had one rolling duffle and one backpack that had all the clothes for 2 of us. Both bags were in the trunk of the taxi. When we got to the port and the taxi driver popped the trunk for the security person to check, she came back up front and stuck her head in the taxi window and said she was glad at least some people packed light! Apparently she is used to seeing trunks overflowing with luggage! LOL

For DH and I, we bring 1 garment bag, and 2 large suitcases. We pack 1 outfit for each formal night, so 2 dresses for me and 2 suits for DH. DH also packs 2 pair of slacks and 3 dress shirts for dinners.

You will want to pack fewer shorts and t-shirts than you think (wear them more than once), and MORE bathing suits than you think. Nothing is more disgusting than pulling on a wet bathing suit. I limit the shoes to 1 pair for formal nights, 1 pair of tennis shoes, 1 pair of sandals (to go with everything).

Wife and I both usually bring one big heavy suitcase. Mine is usually half full with DW's stuff. But, on our next cruise I have already told her I am bringing everything for 14 days in one airline carry on bag. I am packing a couple pairs of dockers, a couple shirts, running gear and several t shirts and bathing suits. I rent formal night clothing and other than meals I am a shorts and t shirt guy so I think that is all I will need.

We each have a carry on and a 24" suitcase. We split our belongings between the two 24" suitcases in case one doesn't make it to the ship. I start out by laying out all my clothes I think I'll need, then get rid of two of the three wraps (I really do have just one favourite), two of the four bathing suits (why did I buy those?), and one of the pairs of high-heels (it's a big ship to trek through), keeping sandals and comfortable shoes, just a couple of pairs of shorts, a couple of dresses, a few shirts, accessories. It seems to work and I'm not coming home with tons of clothing I've not worn. We use the packing bags which are handy for keeping wrinkle-free, but can allow you to pack excess weight if you don't watch it.

DW gets picked on for "all the suit cases we take". I don't mind taking "too much". We have been on lots of 7 day cruises and a few 10 day, it seems like we take the same for both. 4 suit cases. We ALWAYS bring back clean clothes (better safe than sorry?)