A suggestion to Oceania re booking suites

hrprof

We usually cruise with Regent, but recently did a 28 day B2B on Oceania. We were very pleased with all aspects of the experience. Since then, we have not tried to book Oceania. Why? We place a premium on space and would only book a OS or VS. They never seem to be available and since we like to plan ahead, don't often go on wait lists (we were lucky and got an OS for our B2B for both legs)

Maybe O could learn something from Disney. I can't believe I said that! But, we have booked Disney for a cruise with 2 Grandsons next summer. To confirm a 2 bedroom suite required a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit (not recoverable by trip insurance). Given the scarcity of larger suites on O ships, perhaps a 20% non-refundable deposit for those suites would result in a higher level of up front commitment to the cruise. This might insure that the suites would not be tied up on a whim for a year, but would only be booked by those with serious intent.

I understand your suggestion. My question is why do you think the folks who have booked a OS or VS are booking just on a whim or aren't serious? Maybe they are like you and know that they are few and want to be sure to get one. Should they hold off booking in case they become ill or incapacitated and then take a chance they can get one later? None of us know what is going to happen in a year. Why should they have to pay a penalty any more than anyone else? No, I don't think so. Lots of us like to plan ahead, you aren't alone in that.

Since those suites are so popular, if somebody cancels, Oceania can quickly sell them, so why the nonrefundable deposit? - I would never book a cruise long in advance without reassurance that I can cancel without penalty until a reasonable time before the cruise.

Capecodder

I am simply suggesting that the decision to deposit a cruise can fall along a continuum ranging from "this is kind of interesting, let's see how things go next year" to "this is a must! the ideal itinerary and timing we have been looking for". Similarly, the decision to book is viewed differently if a $1500 deposit returnable up to 90 days prior to sailing or $10,000 non-refundable deposit is required. My guess is that this would distinguish the whim from the more serious intent - wouldn't it have an influence on your decision? It sure would on mine.

We usually cruise with Regent, but recently did a 28 day B2B on Oceania. We were very pleased with all aspects of the experience. Since then, we have not tried to book Oceania. Why? We place a premium on space and would only book a OS or VS. They never seem to be available and since we like to plan ahead, don't often go on wait lists (we were lucky and got an OS for our B2B for both legs)

Maybe O could learn something from Disney. I can't believe I said that! But, we have booked Disney for a cruise with 2 Grandsons next summer. To confirm a 2 bedroom suite required a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit (not recoverable by trip insurance). Given the scarcity of larger suites on O ships, perhaps a 20% non-refundable deposit for those suites would result in a higher level of up front commitment to the cruise. This might insure that the suites would not be tied up on a whim for a year, but would only be booked by those with serious intent.

Since you like to plan ahead..you should check the new itineraries when they come out and make sure you call as soon as they are available..

The vista/owner's suites are some four times the area of the basic balcony suites, and they cost no more than double. They eat the same food, but they have butler service and other perks such as Hermes toiletries, fresh squeezed orange juice, etc.(and can be given even more perks). Since there are only ten of them per ship, and they constitute only 3% of the cabins, only those who can afford need apply. Besides, since the market appears to be able to support higher prices for those suites, in a free market economy, we suggest raising their fares by 50% to three times the basic balcony cabin. (The way it is now, it may appear that everybody else is subsidizing the profit margin of those true suites).

With the increased fare and perhaps a 20% (instead of fixed $750) deposit, to be refundable in the same time frame as other cabins (so as to be fair to everybody), there definitely will be fewer irresponsible bookings. Oceania will also make more profit, and will perhaps slow their invention of other ways to increase revenue from most other passengers!

The vista/owner's suites are some four times the area of the basic balcony suites, and they cost no more than double. They eat the same food, but they have butler service and other perks such as Hermes toiletries, fresh squeezed orange juice, etc.(and can be given even more perks). Since there are only ten of them per ship, and they constitute only 3% of the cabins, only those who can afford need apply. Besides, since the market appears to be able to support higher prices for those suites, in a free market economy, we suggest raising their fares by 50% to three times the basic balcony cabin. (The way it is now, it may appear that everybody else is subsidizing the profit margin of those true suites).

With the increased fare and perhaps a 20% (instead of fixed $750) deposit, to be refundable in the same time frame as other cabins (so as to be fair to everybody), there definitely will be fewer irresponsible bookings. Oceania will also make more profit, and will perhaps slow their invention of other ways to increase revenue from most other passengers!

2192620975_8fbaaef556.jpgDont we get to eat cake first?

And tonight, for your viewing pleasure in the Nautica Lounge:

communist-party-poster.jpg

Meow

I agree with you. These suites are seriously undervalued by Oceania. I did a fare comparison with Regent when we did our SA B2B. For comparable space, time and itin, Regent was incredibly more expensive. Even taking into consideration the inclusive fares on R, O was a bargain. Even with a 50% increase, it would still look better. Drinking the difference in fare on R would require immediate admission to rehab on return.

Yep, If I were O I would increase fares on this short supply product until the market indicates the true value. But, I would still increase the deposit and make it non-refundable. Or, in the spirit of compromise, make it refundable but require full payment 6 months prior to sailing.

I think just an enhanced deposit for OS and VS would do the trick. It does not need to be nonrefundable. But putting down $10,000 instead of $1500 might give people who are not truly serious pause.

A $10,000 deposit? What have you been smoking or drinking? I think you might want to take a break from posting.

If I remember correctly, we had to request to be put on a waiting list for our suite with Disney (with our 2 grandsons) for a seven day in 2007. I got a call close to final payment time and was offered the suite (not an upgrade; regular suite fare). Ofcourse we were delighted but would have been happy with our balcony stateroom if the suite did not become available. Perhaps someone cancelled and we got lucky? So, now I know if we want a suite, we had better book in a timely fashion.

BTW, the new Marina is to have more suites, so plan early!!

Leonid: this thread makes me wonder who besides the original poster would ever book one of the OS or VS. Sounds to me like they just want to raise the prices for those who can afford these. Sour grapes!:(

AS usual you're right on target!

I have indeed been on Oceania in a Penthouse and loved it. I tried to get an OS (don't like being forward so didn't try for a VS) but couldn't. The ONLY reason I have even commented on this thread is that there are so few OS and VS and they can be tied up for so little money that it might be fairer to everyone seeking them to have to put down a heftier deposit so people won't book them, then nonchalantly cancel three months out depriving others from the chance of sailing in them.

I just don't get it.

On every Oceania cruise I have booked except the first one (when I was naive about O), I could have booked an OS if I wanted one. That's because I booked within the first minute or so of the itinerary booking window. If you snooze, you lose.

However, let's say that I did snooze a little, and they were all gone. I could go ahead and book a lower category, as I know Leonid, for example, has done, and waited to see if an OS opened up. It did, for him, our our last cruise around Cape Horn. That happened regardless of the amount of the deposit. In fact, it is more likely to happen if someone can get out of their booking -- if they had invested a significant amount of non-refundable money, they would be less likely to cancel and open up the cabin for someone else.

But, let's go on to say that the rules are changed, and it takes a $10,000 non-refundable deposit to book an OS or VS. It might take a bit longer for the suites to be booked, but anyone who can afford to spend $20K or $30K on a suite can probably come up with $10K for a deposit, and can probably afford to lose it if they cancel. There are only 10 such suites on each ship, and I'm willing to bet they would still be booked as quickly.

Finally, let's say that someone books the suite with a $10K non-refundable deposit -- and dies. Did he or she deprive you of the chance to book?

Like I said, I just don't see the point of this suggestion.

Keep on dreaming. Or rather hallucinating!

Amazing!! I don't dream nor hallucinate. Just call them like I see them. As Orchestra Pal so aptly stated, beware the green eyed monster. I hope you understand the latter.

BTW - does your mother know that you are out and about?

... anyone who can afford to spend $20K or $30K on a suite can probably come up with $10K for a deposit, and can probably afford to lose it if they cancel. .
I don't agree with wripro's suggestion, however, instead, are you agreeing that those ten OS/VS fares should be increased by 50% to three times the category B fare (currently they are only double), since those true suites are more than four times the size/area? As I have said, they eat the same food, but they get more amenities and priorities and can be given even more. Besides, in a free market economy, if a product sells too well, why not raise its price, to get better profit, besides making it fairer?

I just don't get it.

On every Oceania cruise I have booked except the first one (when I was naive about O), I could have booked an OS if I wanted one. That's because I booked within the first minute or so of the itinerary booking window. If you snooze, you lose.

However, let's say that I did snooze a little, and they were all gone. I could go ahead and book a lower category, as I know Leonid, for example, has done, and waited to see if an OS opened up. It did, for him, our our last cruise around Cape Horn. That happened regardless of the amount of the deposit. In fact, it is more likely to happen if someone can get out of their booking -- if they had invested a significant amount of non-refundable money, they would be less likely to cancel and open up the cabin for someone else.

But, let's go on to say that the rules are changed, and it takes a $10,000 non-refundable deposit to book an OS or VS. It might take a bit longer for the suites to be booked, but anyone who can afford to spend $20K or $30K on a suite can probably come up with $10K for a deposit, and can probably afford to lose it if they cancel. There are only 10 such suites on each ship, and I'm willing to bet they would still be booked as quickly.

Finally, let's say that someone books the suite with a $10K non-refundable deposit -- and dies. Did he or she deprive you of the chance to book?

Like I said, I just don't see the point of this suggestion.

Don, neither do I. We book early for what we want. We could afford the $10k, but I seriously doubt that ANY cruise line would say that it was non refundable.

Hope all is well at home.

Len

Archived