NEW HAL Mariner Program NOW on website

piedmont

We just got our red 50 day pins and wore them on formal nights. I think we'll continue wearing them on future cruises because they'll become no longer existant memos and a conversation starter.

I've been busy with yearly guests who have become friends this week, so haven't had time to pay much attention to the board or to the HAL site explaining the changes.

We would have received our 50 day pins this next cruise...we will have 60 days at the end of our next b2b.

Are these no longer given?

I've been busy with yearly guests who have become friends this week, so haven't had time to pay much attention to the board or to the HAL site explaining the changes.

We would have received our 50 day pins this next cruise...we will have 60 days at the end of our next b2b.

It would appear that the 1 to 4 Star system and pins replaces the old pins and takes you up through 200 cruise credits. The medallions kick in at the 300 actual cruise day level and above.

On your next Noordam cruise in Feb 2010 you will get the new 2 star pin.

InnLady, others on this long thread have suggested asking when you board to see if there are any of the old pins. Perhaps you can get them as well, if you just ask.

The other alternative is eBay. There are often listings, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOLLAND-AMERICA-MARINER-SOCIETY-SHIP-Souvenir-Lapel-Pin_W0QQitemZ300348712408QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ee2da5d8&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Thank you, fann1sh!

I just went on the HAL site to sign in with my email and password, and my DH's name came up. He's never been on the HAL site...just I have used it. Last time, before this new Mariner program, my name came up.

Very strange...

Earlier someone asked how folks getting on ships would know of the new program. Yesterday at a luncheon on the Amsterdam (in Seattle) we were told by the head of the Mariner program that folks getting on the Amsterdam that day would have a booklet with the new program information in their cabins. We also learned that a mass mailing was scheduled to go out over the next month or so. (Program started on the Amsterdam with yesterday's sailing.) Unfortunately we were only onboard for HAL luncheon so did not get to see the booklet.

Thank you, fann1sh!

I just went on the HAL site to sign in with my email and password, and my DH's name came up. He's never been on the HAL site...just I have used it. Last time, before this new Mariner program, my name came up.

Very strange...

I wonder if they just reloaded the whole program information for everybody with a Mariner number? My wife and I already had separate HAL website accounts so we didn't notice any difference. We both logged in once the new program was announced to check if our information was correct.

I think there may have been some problems in converting (the databases) to the new program. I've read of a few oddities here on CC, and, when we checked our family's cruise histories, my younger son's was "lost" -- then we noticed his mariner # was wrong. Everything was fixed quickly with a single email to HAL. (Info for my older son and me was fine.) So I suggest everyone do a quick check of their cruise histories, and maybe even their profiles, just to make sure.

I think there may have been some problems in converting (the databases) to the new program. I've read of a few oddities here on CC, and, when we checked our family's cruise histories, my younger son's was "lost" -- then we noticed his mariner # was wrong. Everything was fixed quickly with a single email to HAL. (Info for my older son and me was fine.) So I suggest everyone do a quick check of their cruise histories, and maybe even their profiles, just to make sure.

Thank you....who did you email at HAL?

On your next Noordam cruise in Feb 2010 you will get the new 2 star pin.

Do you know if they will automatically give out the pins within the next few months while on board...The FAQ section says HAL will be mailing the pins..

I'm wondering how they will get all the pins, mailed out in time for each person's cruise..Or if they will actually give them to you on board..

If they are doing a mass mailing, perhaps the pins will be enclosed with that mailing..Probably giving them on board would be less of a hassle..

Will I still receive medallions and pins as I have in the past?

Existing lapel pins will be replaced with brand new lapel pins for 2-Star, 3-Star and 4-Star Mariners. After qualifying for a new level, you will receive your new pin in the mail and can also request a pin onboard any Holland America Line ship. In addition, we will continue to recognize our most loyal Mariners through the awarding of a special medallion; a Silver Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 300 days, a Gold Medallion for guests achieving 500 days, and our highest level Platinum Medallion for those guests who have joined us for 700 or more days.

I'm wondering how they will get all the pins, mailed out in time for each person's cruise..Or if they will actually give them to you on board..

If they are doing a mass mailing, perhaps the pins will be enclosed with that mailing..

Because spending will now be taken into consideration and suite ++, then some calculations will be required and this will be done after the cruise, once you are back home and have paid your bill. Mailing is then the way to do it, unless you are staying on the ship for another cruise. Then they might give you your pin on the spot. If not, the new pins will have to be issued and mailed after the cruise is finished.

Moreover, nobody needs to receive or wear or even be given the actual pin to get the benefits. When the new star level is granted, it will be part of the info on your shipboard card each time HAL runs it (for a purchase). And the status of each passenger will be taken into account in the bill. This will all be automatic.

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it anywhere. :)

Suppose we use some of our HAL Visa reward points towards a shore excursion ($100 credit for 10,000 points). Will that count towards our onboard spending credits too?

For instance, if we used 30,000 points for a $300 shore excursion, would that $300 "spent" count as one day's onboard spending credits?

This also happened to me this past Sunday. I was making a shore excursion reservation on-line, and when it completed it showed my Mariner number as a new completely different one (beginning with the number 4, mine is old and begins with 0). So now I show as having no cruise days like I'm a newbie.

My wife's is OK, so maybe this happenes when you access your account to do something like an excursion booking. My booking still shows OK for January. Our HAL cruise consultant is working on getting it corrected, but I just looked and when I do a search for my number, it is still showing the "new" one. To check, go into the Mariner Society link under the General Information area on the HAL front page and then click the Mariner ID Lookup link. You might be unpleasantly surprised! :(

This also happened to me this past Sunday. I was making a shore excursion reservation on-line, and when it completed it showed my Mariner number as a new completely different one (beginning with the number 4, mine is old and begins with 0). So now I show as having no cruise days like I'm a newbie.

My wife's is OK, so maybe this happenes when you access your account to do something like an excursion booking. My booking still shows OK for January. Our HAL cruise consultant is working on getting it corrected, but I just looked and when I do a search for my number, it is still showing the "new" one. To check, go into the Mariner Society link under the General Information area on the HAL front page and then click the Mariner ID Lookup link. You might be unpleasantly surprised! :(

I'll email my PCC tomorrow...she's been super helpful all the way along. I've mentioned this before, first time I've used a PCC and I'm very pleased. Reading all the horror stories about online agencies had me a little worried about going that route.

Correct. You should have 2-star (30 day) pins sent to you, and then get 3-star pins at 75 days.

Because spending will now be taken into consideration and suite ++, then some calculations will be required and this will be done after the cruise, once you are back home and have paid your bill. Mailing is then the way to do it, unless you are staying on the ship for another cruise. Then they might give you your pin on the spot. If not, the new pins will have to be issued and mailed after the cruise is finished.
If a person already has the requisite number of days before the end of the cruise then spending would be irrelevant.

If they are doing a mass mailing, perhaps the pins will be enclosed with that mailing..

Moreover, nobody needs to receive or wear or even be given the actual pin to get the benefits. When the new star level is granted, it will be part of the info on your shipboard card each time HAL runs it (for a purchase). And the status of each passenger will be taken into account in the bill. This will all be automatic.

Happyglobtrotter I'm confused, as your post does not pertain to my question....:confused:

Most everyone understands how the new levels are calculated..We also understand that a pin is not required & your shipboard card will have the star level to automatically give you your discounts..But that was not the reason for my post..

My question was in reply to KK who stated that another poster, who has already reached her 2 star level, would receive her pin on board the Noordam in Feb. 2010...

There are presently thousands of HAL Psgrs who will have already reached the 2 star, 3 star or 4 star level before their next cruise...Even though the pin is not required, many posters would like to have their pins, & look forward to wearing them..

Some would like to have the pins & are asking how & when they will get them prior to or for their next cruise...

KK believes they will receive them on board..

My thought was, instead of giving them on board, would they send them out with the mass mailing announcing the new program..

At present, no one really knows the answer except the Administrators of the Mariner Program..

Betty

KK, I'll be waiting for those sailing today to let us know how it was handled onboard. A lot of planning had to go into the launch so perhaps those sailing say on or after Jan 1, 2010 will receive theirs in the mail, and those sailing before will receive theirs on the ship.

I sail 2 weeks today, so maybe I'll take my 25 day pin and wear it to the Brunch in case the 30 day pins are not yet available.

Archived