Mexican Riviera--rough seas?

Chloe's mom

I'm thinking about taking the Oosterdam 12/12-12/19/09 round trip San Diego, but I've read that seas can be rough on the last day northbound. Has anyone sailed this route in December? Can you tell me wave/swell heights and how much rocking 'n rolling goes on? I'm used to the Caribbean. Thx.

We were there late Nov/early Dec.... there's a prevailing current (or something :) ) that causes a bit of "ocean motion" as the ship rides INTO the current back to San Diego. In DH & my opinion, it was a non-issue -- it wasn't noticeable beyond normal ocean motion. One of our travelling companions, though, was convinced she was getting seasick.

Sailed OOSTERDAM last December 6-13.

The weather going back to San Diego was cool (upper 60's) and

breezy, but not overly rough seas.

Similar to sailing along the East Coast, quite different from the

Caribbean.

Try it - this is a nice itinerary at great prices this year!

The last evening was rough for us (we sailed round trip out of Los Angeles). The servers had some tray/dishes spills and the dancers almost fell off the stage a couple times. Some did not go to dinner that night but we were not seasick. It was also very cool and windy that afternoon (our sailing was in February).

The sea conditions are definitely related to the time of year you travel and the weather (if hurricane is brewing, etc). You take your chances but I have to say that the worst sailing conditions I've ever experienced were in Tahiti where I thought it was gong to be SMOOTH. So go figure. I'd go and if needed, get the free bonine at the front desk. It's worth the experience. Happy Sailing!

I have done this cruise in December twice before, and I am going on the 12/12/2009 sailing also!

Yes, it can be rough coming back to San Diego because of the North swells that time of year. One time it was minimal, but another time even some crew members didn't feel well. The good news is that (at least on the sailing you are asking about) there is only one sea day on the return end of the trip. There used to be two.

Like a previous poster said the current and prevailing winds are both coming from the NW, while the ship is traveling from the SE. The ship can encounter motion ranging from mild to heavy depending on the systems up North and the tropical storms coming from the South. We enjoy the motion of the Northern trip as the motion is coming from the front and not the side. The roll from the side can make me rather seasick, but the motion from the front is fine with me.

We have also sailed this route a number of times and just returned Sunday from a great trip down there. The water last week was about the calmest I have ever seen. Cabo had no waves at all; it looked like a pond on a Sunday morning.

However, sometimes it can be lumpy coming home and it is usually cold the first and last day out of LA or SD. That is just what we now expect. We pack a pair of sweats and make the best of it until it warms up on the last on the first afternoon or early the next morning.

Have a great trip down there.

I have to jump in here regarding the "cold" day. It really depends where you're from :) We are from Canada, and were warned and warned about the "cold" day going down and the cold day coming back.

Uh, gee, okay -- it was below zero where we live, and we managed just fine with the 65F or so we got. Yes, not tropical, but in our experience not really "cold".

We took this cruise on the Oosterdam a couple of years back and had a good time. That's when it was only running on one engine too.

A Bit rocky on the last day back to SD

60 to 75 every day, warmer than Oregon winters & not too hot for us, just very nice.

Its a great ship & crew

As many have said it can be a bit rocky, but that can be half the fun.

If you have trouble with the motion before the ship leaves its last port, take something, put the patch or wrist bands on & enjoy the ride.

I have to jump in here regarding the "cold" day. It really depends where you're from :) We are from Canada, and were warned and warned about the "cold" day going down and the cold day coming back.

Uh, gee, okay -- it was below zero where we live, and we managed just fine with the 65F or so we got. Yes, not tropical, but in our experience not really "cold".

I have to remember what cold really means to some. I live in Central California and the cold we experience to others is a summer day! What I meant to say in my previous post is that the trip North on the last can be COOLER than in the lower end of your trip.

To us living in California, we are expecting to near 100 today, the trip North can be like living in the refrigerator. But, you gotta love that we all live in different areas and can share different experiences while living the same ship.

For us - it was also "balmy" in December, lol!!! We felt the motion, but it was not overcast or rainy - just choppy.

We've also done this cruise in March when the seas were as smooth as turquiose blue glass. It's one reason why we love it so....

Thanks so much to all of you for giving me this information. It is very helpful. Although I was hoping to hear that the waters were only rough during specific times of the year, it sounds like the Pacific Current is a factor all the time, and it's just luck of the draw as to whether any particular cruise will be smooth sailing.

I'm thinking about taking the Oosterdam 12/12-12/19/09 round trip San Diego' date=' but I've read that seas can be rough on the last day northbound. Has anyone sailed this route in December? Can you tell me wave/swell heights and how much rocking 'n rolling goes on? I'm used to the Caribbean. Thx.[/quote']

Welcome to Cruise Critic Chloe's mom. We have made that trip many times, and at different times of the year. Have always had calm seas except for the last night coming back into SD, but that is typical you are fighting the prevailing currents of the ocean. Some times it was a little rocky but most of the time hardly noticeable. If your use to the Caribbean, you will be fine. We have run into some of the roughest waters in December in the Caribbean when there have been late season tropical storms. Never had it that rocky on our Mexico cruises.

Archived