Brazil Visa Application process

beege1936

I was just wondering, NOT currently any concern!

Thanks, I did not think they would be so REASONABLE!!

This is from their website

ABOUT THE TOURIST VISA:

Tourist visas for U.S. citizens may be granted for periods of up to 5 (five) years. However, stay periods in Brazil are limited to a maximum of 90 days per entry, and to a yearly total of 180 days. First arrival in Brazil must take place within 90 days from the date the visa was issued in order to validate the visa, otherwise the visa will be void. Please plan accordingly. Please be reminded that it is unlawful to engage in business or professional activities in Brazil under a Tourist visa.

In the event that your passport expires before your Brazilian visa expires, you will NOT need to apply for a new Brazilian visa. Simply travel with 2 passports - the expired passport (with the valid Brazilian visa), and the new passport without a Brazilian visa and show them both to the Brazilian immigration authorities at the airport.

This is from their website

ABOUT THE TOURIST VISA:

Tourist visas for U.S. citizens may be granted for periods of up to 5 (five) years. However, stay periods in Brazil are limited to a maximum of 90 days per entry, and to a yearly total of 180 days. First arrival in Brazil must take place within 90 days from the date the visa was issued in order to validate the visa, otherwise the visa will be void. Please plan accordingly. Please be reminded that it is unlawful to engage in business or professional activities in Brazil under a Tourist visa.

In the event that your passport expires before your Brazilian visa expires, you will NOT need to apply for a new Brazilian visa. Simply travel with 2 passports - the expired passport (with the valid Brazilian visa), and the new passport without a Brazilian visa and show them both to the Brazilian immigration authorities at the airport.

Thanks, someone had posted that it is possible to request the renewal passport agency to transfer the Brazil Visa to the renewed passport (but I would suppose the first 90day validating entrance stamp page would have to be transferred to the renewed passport too?)!

We have filled out the online paper work, got our yellow fever shots and our pictures. When I call the Atlanta Consulate I get a recording saying no walk in. The only way to make an appointment is by email which I have done twice. I have heard nothing back from them. How do you get an appointment if no one will talk to you? How long should I wait hoping they will email me back. How does the mail in service work and how can I find out about it?

I was under the impression that the Visa requirement came up because of the Rivalry between Bombardier...not too far from here ..... and Embraer

Brazilians are not happy we build planes too

Is it true you need to give the Consulate your bank acct number and photocopy of latest transactions as well as your last income tax return

HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I would never give this to any FOREIGN government willingly

Thanks but NO THANKS ..lots of OTHER places to visit!!!!

Is this bureaucracy all going to VANISH for the Olympics ????

We have filled out the online paper work, got our yellow fever shots and our pictures. When I call the Atlanta Consulate I get a recording saying no walk in. The only way to make an appointment is by email which I have done twice. I have heard nothing back from them. How do you get an appointment if no one will talk to you? How long should I wait hoping they will email me back. How does the mail in service work and how can I find out about it?

We used a company called travisa.com They have offices covering every jurisdiction We had to use NewYork office... It took us a total of 4 days total to get our visas back well worth the extra charge... breakdown. brazil charges 130. per visa, $20. add'l charge by brazil if you use a 3rd party. travisa charge was $50. per visa, plus 5. for check writing fee, (you give them your credit card and they supply the proper required check to the consulate. there is also fedex charge we used usp service ground since we're 3 hours outside of N.Y. travisa got it the next day. Travisa sent it back fedex. ( up to 3 passports/visa per envelope) $22.50. it was costly but we got our visa back... My sister used travisa her jurisdiction is Miami, she's located in Centeral Florida, about 5 hours from Miami they got their visa's/passport back today. total time 7 working days. I would suggest calling travisa and speaking to a supervisor so you understand the process and it doesn't hurt to make a relationship/contact with someone within the company I did that it really help don't forget to get their name(ps. our consulate would only except in person visa applications, no mailing or appointment was allow).................... hopes this helps... Judy

We used a company called travisa.com They have offices covering every jurisdiction We had to use NewYork office... It took us a total of 4 days total to get our visas back well worth the extra charge... breakdown. brazil charges 130. per visa, $20. add'l charge by brazil if you use a 3rd party. travisa charge was $50. per visa, plus 5. for check writing fee, (you give them your credit card and they supply the proper required check to the consulate. there is also fedex charge we used usp service ground since we're 3 hours outside of N.Y. travisa got it the next day. Travisa sent it back fedex. ( up to 3 passports/visa per envelope) $22.50. it was costly but we got our visa back... My sister used travisa her jurisdiction is Miami, she's located in Centeral Florida, about 5 hours from Miami they got their visa's/passport back today. total time 7 working days. I would suggest calling travisa and speaking to a supervisor so you understand the process and it doesn't hurt to make a relationship/contact with someone within the company I did that it really help don't forget to get their name(ps. our consulate would only except in person visa applications, no mailing or appointment was allow).................... hopes this helps... Judy

We used a similar company (ZVS) which is recommeded by Princess. Everything went every smoothely.

Is it true you need to give the Consulate your bank acct number and photocopy of latest transactions as well as your last income tax return

HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I would never give this to any FOREIGN government willingly

Thanks but NO THANKS ..lots of OTHER places to visit!!!!

Is this bureaucracy all going to VANISH for the Olympics ????

No, this is not true. I hope you're kidding. Having just done this, I know.

As for Bombardier etc., this is simple visa reciprocity--we insist that Brazilians have a visa to enter Canada as well.

Good question about the Olympics. Time will tell.

We used a similar company (ZVS) which is recommeded by Princess. Everything went every smoothely.

Paul,

We we're going to use them also, AAA & Princess said they had used their services. When I call for information they were so far out of line price wise with other travel service companies, they also told me (not once but 2 different agents, plus my sister had talked to them got the same answers) that they need our passport at the beginning of Aug. and it would take a month to process. Another red flag I got is when she told me that the Brazil Consulate started to count the time when you embark on the ship. I'm here in Fla. now and don't have the prices from them with me, but if my memory is correct it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $150. per visa for their service, plus all the consulate fee's. and fedex back. I'm glad it work out okay for you...

Judy

I used a company 'Passport and Visa Express'

http://www.passportvisasexpress

Submitted application on Oct 7, sent documentation on Oct 11, received our visas this morning (Oct 20). It could not have been easier.

$150 Brazil Consul fee, $75 for thier service fee, and Fedex Ground shipment

Oh, and Delta Airlines recommended a Visa Processing service that would have charged us $230 each for their service, plus anything done in Miami would be considered a Rush order, which would have been another $40. That was awfully nice of them to recommend this service (NOT!!!)

Our upcoming honeymoon cruise to South America is my first cruise and we were informed by Holland America, that my american husband will need the visa for Brazil. Holland America recommended ZVS also and my husband used them. The process is currently running and we are waiting for his passport to return to us. The price was somewhere around $250 Dollars if i remember it correctly. Although it seems very pricy we are happy not to go to the LA embassy in person. It would be very time consuming and from my past experiences i have to say, that you usually spent more when you try to save a buck, even if it is a lot of time that is wasted. (Hey, time is money!) Fortunately i don't seem to be needed a visa as a german citizen for any of the countries on our cruise.

We are not informed about any vaccinations that should be taken, but from what i have read it seems like you only need those when you travel off the beaten path, which is not planned for us.

We live in Chicago so I wanted to handle our visas for the upcoming cruise trip to Brazil myself. I am happy to report that the process could not have been easier. (at least so far - I don't want to jinx us!)

I went this morning during their 2 hour daily window of 9-11 am to apply. Prior to going, I had reviewed the requirements on the consulate website and completed and printed the on line applications for myself and my husband. I also printed our flight and cruise itinerary information and obtained a passport type photo for each of us (I printed those at home using appropriate software) and I bought 2 $130 money orders at the post office. I took both packages, including our current passports valid for at least 6 months and with at least 2 blank visa pages, to the embassy and, after waiting all of about 5 minutes, a very friendly clerk took and reviewed everything and handed me a pick-up slip. She said they would be ready for pick up next Friday (1 week from today) and could be picked up between 12-1 that day or any later day. You can also pay extra to have them mailed back to you.

She reminded us that we must enter Brazil within 90 days after our visas are issued or they will expire.

The entire process took less than 30 minutes door to door from my downtown Chicago office!

We live in Chicago so I wanted to handle our visas for the upcoming cruise trip to Brazil myself. I am happy to report that the process could not have been easier. (at least so far - I don't want to jinx us!)

I went this morning during their 2 hour daily window of 9-11 am to apply. Prior to going, I had reviewed the requirements on the consulate website and completed and printed the on line applications for myself and my husband. I also printed our flight and cruise itinerary information and obtained a passport type photo for each of us (I printed those at home using appropriate software) and I bought 2 $130 money orders at the post office. I took both packages, including our current passports valid for at least 6 months and with at least 2 blank visa pages, to the embassy and, after waiting all of about 5 minutes, a very friendly clerk took and reviewed everything and handed me a pick-up slip. She said they would be ready for pick up next Friday (1 week from today) and could be picked up between 12-1 that day or any later day. You can also pay extra to have them mailed back to you.

She reminded us that we must enter Brazil within 90 days after our visas are issued or they will expire.

The entire process took less than 30 minutes door to door from my downtown Chicago office!

I agree it is an easy process (not brain surgery) that being said it depends on what jurisdiction you happen to live in and how far you are from the consulate. In our case our jurisdiction is New York we're a 3 hours drive one way, not to mention New York is a pain to drive in, and parking thats another story finding parking and cost. Trust me it was much cheaper for us to use a visa service, $50. add't per person & add't $20. to the consulate for using a 3rd party. There office(TraVisa) is located a few streets away from the N.Y.consulate. We had our visa back in 4 working days... And life is good..... Judy

I agree it is an easy process (not brain surgery) that being said it depends on what jurisdiction you happen to live in and how far you are from the consulate. In our case our jurisdiction is New York we're a 3 hours drive one way, not to mention New York is a pain to drive in, and parking thats another story finding parking and cost. Trust me it was much cheaper for us to use a visa service, $50. add't per person & add't $20. to the consulate for using a 3rd party. There office(TraVisa) is located a few streets away from the N.Y.consulate. We had our visa back in 4 working days... And life is good..... Judy

Glad you also had a pleasant visa experience!

Travelinggrammy,

If you found a service with good references that cost less than ZVS, go for it! However, I do not understand your concept of "Red Flags". To me this means danger, not costs.

We used ZVS for our recent Brazil visas. Seventeen days from when we sent them (FedEx) till we got them back (UPS). It did cost us about $50 dollars more per Visa than if we mailed them ourselves, but their tracking service is worth it to me. We have used them about 5 times in the past, always happy particularly when we we needed to expedite two visas having less than 2 weeks for the whole process. Cost more but far cheaper than flying to a Consulate that did Visas to do it in person. An unexpected travel opportunity and beside the cost, I could not afford to be away from home to get them in person.

mmemichele,

Recently applied for a received our Brazil visas. No request for any financial information, only needed copies of our air flights at both ends and the cruise and verification of our cruise itinerary. As someone mentioned, they want assurances that we have a paid way to exit the country.

We have gone to a few countries, usually for land travel, where some financial information was needed. My bank worked with me to provide relevant information with nothing but their name/address, my name and a very small balance. It showed enough money to fly home or to the next port when on cruise. They accepted it without any issue. (Interesting to me was the fact that these countries would not be attractive options for me to live if I thought of jumping ship. Great to visit, but not to live for us at least.)

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this series of postings, I was quite concerned about applying for my Brazilian Visa through the mail without the use of a visa service. However, I mailed my passport and the visa application to the Consulate of Brazil in Atlanta on October 27th and recieved the visa back on October 31st. Turn around time was less than five days including the mailing time both ways. The whole process from my prospective was about as efficient as it has been with any other country that I have ever gotten a visa from. Since I tracked the delivery both ways, they processed the visa in under 24 hours with the remainder of the time being shipping to and from the Consulate.

Gary

The most frustrating thing about obtaining the Brazilian visa is that each individual consul sets their own "rules". Some insist on appointments and others it's first come first served. Some do mail applications not through services and others don't do any mail applications. Etc., etc.

The most frustrating thing about obtaining the Brazilian visa is that each individual consul sets their own "rules". Some insist on appointments and others it's first come first served. Some do mail applications not through services and others don't do any mail applications. Etc., etc.

And some (i.e, the Consulate in Washington, DC) say it takes 15 work days to process regardless of how it is submitted (in person, by mail, or by visa service). We submitted our passports 2 weeks ago today in person and they are still listed as 'received', not even in process! Consulate staff did assure me they would be ready on the 15th work day (3 weeks plus 1 day from the day of submission). I hope so -- my DH travels internationally almost all the time and this was the only 4 week period he didn't need his passport in the 90 day period leading up to our arrival in Brazil.

Texas Tillie,

I did notice on the Brazilian Embassy web-site that each of the Consuls had different rules regarding their visa process. My only experience is with the Atlanta Consulate which only accepts applications via mail after completing the application on-line. This process couldn't have gone more smoothly and I would recommend doing it yourself without a visa service for anyone in the Atlanta Consulate's area.

Gary

Texas Tillie,

I did notice on the Brazilian Embassy web-site that each of the Consuls had different rules regarding their visa process. My only experience is with the Atlanta Consulate which only accepts applications via mail after completing the application on-line. This process couldn't have gone more smoothly and I would recommend doing it yourself without a visa service for anyone in the Atlanta Consulate's area.

Gary

Gary, if you read back through this thread you'll see that I already got my visa. I live in Houston - at the Houston consul you have to apply on line (I did that on a Sat.), get an appointment with a specific time (mine was that Tue.), I was in and out in less than 30 minutes - and most of that was because I got there early, and I was told to return the following Monday (or I could have left a return postage paid envelope) between noon and 1 PM to get my finished passport. A big frustration is that you are required to use the consul assigned to your geographic area and they are so different from each other in what they require and how easy the task is to accomplish. Have a great trip! I leave in less than 3 weeks!:)

Patty

We just received our Brazilian Visas and they’re good for 5 years!

We decided to apply on our own instead of using a 3rd party Visa service. Since we had to go through the Chicago consulate and we live 8 hours away from Chicago, we mailed in our application. It took 13 days from the day we mailed our package to Chicago until receiving our Visas (including week-ends and mail time).

We tracked the progress of our Visas on the Chicago consulate website. Still, glad to have passports back in hand. :)

Good luck, everyone!

I haven't read all of the posts, so I may be repeating info. I used visaexpress dot net, and it was very painless. It was an added expense, but it was worth it to me not to have to leave work, drive downtown, park, go to the consulate, etc., etc., even though I live in Miami. It took two weeks total, and I was very happy with their service. I'm glad it's good for 5 years, so maybe I can get my money's worth after our cruise in two weeks.

Archived