alcohol smuggling

Sonchyne4U

Please excuse my ignorance, however I am taking my first cruise this upcoming November and am curious what the procedures are for checking luggage. Do they simply run it through a scanner and if something looks suspicious (like a bottle) they then search it? What about with carry-ons? How can they tell its a bottle anyway - shape, chemical composition (e.g. glass)??

Just like the Airport - all bags scanned. Carry on they ask you to remove the object. Checked bags they don't open but hold the bad in a common room and ask you to open and remove the object.

How can they tell - look at the screen in an airport - a bottle looks just like a bottle.

LeeAnne:

I'm jealous! You wrote such a clear and cogent argument I wish I had written it!

Garsh, thanks! I'm no lawyer either, but I am a writer so I try to express myself with a reasonable amount of logic. :) I have posted many times in the ubiquitous "booze smuggling" threads, because I have some pretty strong and (I believe) valid opinions, and I feel some sort of strange compulsion to set the record straight with the you-must-follow-all-rules folks who look askance at those of us who "smuggle". We are not all scumbags who are trying to save a buck, or to see what we can get away with.

Couple points I wanted to make:

1. The bar set-up isn't an acceptable solution for some of us. In my case, I am a single-malt Scotch lover, and I have my favorites, which are rarely carried on a cruiseline (although one of them can be found on Radisson ships). Some of the best are very hard to find anywhere, and when I do see one, I make of point of snatching it up. When I'm cruising, I find a special joy in sipping a rich, golden 15-yr-old Scotch on my balcony at the end of a wonderful evening. I do not feel that the cruise line should deny me that pleasure on my vacation, in my own room where I have paid to live and sleep. Nor do I feel they have a right to charge a surcharge to do so (such as some kind of "corkage fee" for booze in my room, where that fee covers no additional services).

2. The vast majority of fine restaurants have no problem with allowing patrons to bring in a special bottle of wine, and they charge a corkage fee for the service of pouring it for you. Most cruise ships will do this as well -- I was quite surprised to find out that NCL does not. RCI and Celebrity do. (Radisson does not charge, but then, they don't charge for ANY drinks at dinner, and you are free to bring whatever you want on board at no additional cost. Apparently their legal dept. is not worried about lawsuits from drunken idiots.) I have brought many bottles of fine wine that I'd been cellaring onto both RCI and Celebrity ships, and had no problem.

One thing I've learned here -- I've decided NOT to patronize NCL, now that I know how they treat their passengers in terms of searching them, delaying them, and siezing their possessions. That's certainly not the type of environment in which I want to spend my precious leisure time.

LeeAnne

2. The vast majority of fine restaurants have no problem with allowing patrons to bring in a special bottle of wine, and they charge a corkage fee for the service of pouring it for you. Most cruise ships will do this as well -- I was quite surprised to find out that NCL does not. .....snip....

One thing I've learned here -- I've decided NOT to patronize NCL, now that I know how they treat their passengers in terms of searching them, delaying them, and siezing their possessions. That's certainly not the type of environment in which I want to spend my precious leisure time.

LeeAnne

Base your decision on facts. NCL does permit you to bring special wines and pay a corkage. The exception is if it is already on their wine list. They do not delay passengers but they will hold a bag in a common room for you to claim. They do not search passengers or their bags but ask you to open like all the other lines.

I like you enjoy a single malt and always bring one. By "rule" it is not permitted on any mass market cruise ship.

Cecilia, you may sniff and consider yourself on the moral high ground, but the fact is that the cruise lines CHANGED THE RULES unilaterally. NCL et al are not legal government agencies, they are private, profit making enterprises whose ONLY hold upon us (and upon them) is contractual. They have chosen to change the contract unilaterally, saying, if you don't like it, go somewhere else, KNOWING, that as an oligopoly, there IS no where else to go.
If it makes you feel better to cite philosophers and snub your nose at me, fine. By the way...NCL is not the only cruise line so there are other options for your cruise. There's no need to keep trying to change my opinion. We disagree.

Base your decision on facts. NCL does permit you to bring special wines and pay a corkage. The exception is if it is already on their wine list. They do not delay passengers but they will hold a bag in a common room for you to claim. They do not search passengers or their bags but ask you to open like all the other lines.

I like you enjoy a single malt and always bring one. By "rule" it is not permitted on any mass market cruise ship.

OOPS! 'Scuse me, I misread an earlier post to mean that they don't allow you to bring your own wine in the dining room. My bad. I'm quite happy to learn they do. This is certainly a more civilized way to comport themselves than I had ascribed to them, so I gladly acknowledge my error, and thanks for straightening that out.

Nice to meet another SMS lover. :) What's your favorite? I have brought a bottle on every cruise I've been on, in it's original container, in my carry-on, with no attempt to hide it. I assume if the cruiseline didn't permit it, they would have confiscated it. I have a number of friends who've done the same, and not one has had a problem. This, of course, is on lines other than NCL.

Regarding the rules, while these other cruiselines do have "alcohol rules" posted on their websites, often the rules read differently on their cruise docs, and are very inconsistently enforced, which calls into question what their real rules are. One must assume that their true policy is the one they put into practice. But again, I base my own behavior on my own thoughtful evaluation of the situation, and will refer you back to my "Victoria's Secret" analogy as to why I happily carry my booze on board with me.

Regarding NCL's treatment of it's embarking passengers, I have yet to experience them, so I was basing my decision on the reports I've read in this, and other, threads. Some have reported that NCL's zeal to confiscate alcohol has lead to lines, delays and hassles. I personally do not want to have to deal with this, nor do I want my perfectly legal possessions confiscated for this self-serving rule. I definitely would like to know the truth, but unless I learn differently, I will continue to patronize the lines that treat me (in my opinion) more respectfully.

LeeAnne

If it makes you feel better to cite philosophers and snub your nose at me, fine. By the way...NCL is not the only cruise line so there are other options for your cruise. There's no need to keep trying to change my opinion. We disagree.

My goodness, Host Cecilia! It's hard not to detect at least a small sense of hostility in this post. I'm sorry that this topic affects you like this.

You've made it very clear that you "snub your nose" at us booze smugglers, and consider what we do to be bad, wrong, immoral or unethical. You must understand, it never feels good to have someone put you down or criticize your behavior, ESPECIALLY when you truly believe that you have done nothing wrong, which we strongly do. Consequently, you should expect us to vehemently defend ourselves and our actions, and we appreciate your graciousness in letting us do so.

Not that I think you will change your opinion -- you've made it clear your mind is closed. You sound like a "follow the rules no matter how rediculous they are" person. Some of us like to question authority and think for ourselves just a little bit more. Just different types of people. :) Meanwhile, I'll happily continue to wear my Walmart panties into the Victoria's Secret hotel! ;)

Yes, you are correct that NCL is not the only choice. That is why some of us will not choose them. It's just unfortunate that we are denied the opportunity to take advantage of their products, as they do offer some itineraries and cruise experiences the others do not.

LeeAnne

Is what people will do so they can have "their alcohol" "their way"..sounds like Burger King. I think most people overall follow protocol and it's a few minorities that feel it's their right to make a big issue out of it. Thank God I don't drink. Is the issue really about alcohol or is the issue really about people who want their way no matter what the issue is? Menina

Is the issue really about alcohol or is the issue really about people who want their way no matter what the issue is?
To adopt another great cruise ship phrase, "Bingo!"

That's why you see all these wordy attempts to rationalise what basically amounts to "I don't like the rules, so I'm going to evade them." NoPiratesPlease makes it clear that he has the integrity to refrain from evasion, but the true smugglers equally clearly don't - and they seem to be proud of it.

My goodness, Host Cecilia! It's hard not to detect at least a small sense of hostility in this post. I'm sorry that this topic affects you like this.
I'm not sure why you choose to single me out when others feel as I do. My posts are not hostile; they're direct. Maybe you're biased against what I write before you even read it.
You've made it very clear that you "snub your nose" at us booze smugglers, and consider what we do to be bad, wrong, immoral or unethical. You must understand, it never feels good to have someone put you down or criticize your behavior, ESPECIALLY when you truly believe that you have done nothing wrong, which we strongly do. Consequently, you should expect us to vehemently defend ourselves and our actions, and we appreciate your graciousness in letting us do so.
Second, I care less that you smuggle alcohol than I do if my mailman wakes up on time today. It doesn't effect my life and I will live happily no matter how much alcohol you smuggle. You see, you fail to see the difference between smuggling a bottle of booze because you like a little drink before dinner and the people here who do it just because they can and just because they feel entitled to decide what rules they will and won't follow. If you've read this entire thread you will see several other people think the same way I do. As cliff64 wrote:
Typically everyone has an opinion on this issue, and they're all entitled to it. It's amusing how passionate the feelings are on this "issue".

Personally I have no problems with people who wish to try to smuggle alcohol on board. If they are successful... good for them! If it makes them enjoy their week more, I am very happy for them It's not something I choose to do, simply because I do not drink enough in a 7 day period to warrant the weight of the contraband and hassle of trying to find a creative way to smuggle it in.

However, if you do choose to smuggle, or violate other posted rules and regulations intentionally, please realize that whatever actions are taken in response by the cruise line cannot be complained about

You simply can't have it both ways! If you get caught... don't come back here to protest your treatment!

This is how I feel. Do it if you want but know the consequences before you go and don't complain if you get caught. The attitude of many here is, "I'll do what I darn well please and it's my job to question and defy any rule that's stupid to me." Why not just accept that if you get caught, you get caught. Better luck next time.
Not that I think you will change your opinion -- you've made it clear your mind is closed. You sound like a "follow the rules no matter how rediculous they are" person. Some of us like to question authority and think for ourselves just a little bit more. Just different types of people. Meanwhile, I'll happily continue to wear my Walmart panties into the Victoria's Secret hotel!
Third, you know absolutely nothing about me. But you did call me closedminded and speak as if you know me personally. That goes back to you being biased against anything I write. I'll keep my opinion of you to myself. I tend to follow the rules put forth by others for their endevours because I have respect for other people. If a company's rules bother me, I don't spend money with them. But please, continue to wear your Walmart panties whereever you please if it helps you make your point.
Yes, you are correct that NCL is not the only choice. That is why some of us will not choose them. It's just unfortunate that we are denied the opportunity to take advantage of their products, as they do offer some itineraries and cruise experiences the others do not.
And you've just made my previous point. You don't like their rules, don't spend money with them. If enough people do that, things will change.

OOPS! 'Scuse me, I misread an earlier post to mean that they don't allow you to bring your own wine in the dining room. My bad. I'm quite happy to learn they do. This is certainly a more civilized way to comport themselves than I had ascribed to them, so I gladly acknowledge my error, and thanks for straightening that out....SNIP...........

I will continue to patronize the lines that treat me (in my opinion) more respectfully.

LeeAnne

One more point of clarafication. You can bring your own wine to dinner. That is the intent of the corkage fee. Really no different then any other line.

We all have choices and should only spend our money with lines that treat us respecfully and provide the product we enjoy.

#1 Rule - never believe everything you read on the internet. Throw out the highs and the lows and average the rest :D

Bonne Voyage

I've spent more time reading alcohol threads in the past few weeks than I've spent consuming alcohol.

If I haven't said this previously, my wife, the lush in our family;) , found the drinks on the Majesty to be a good value.

As a business, I think cruise lines should put their efforts into delighting customers instead of searching them.

We attended the shore excursion talk on our cruise and every port included at least one unlimited rum punch included excursion and the Cruise Director said, "this is what's commonly referred to as a 'booze cruise'". Beers on board were sold in helmets 'buy 5 get the 6th one free'. Please don't tell me cruiselines are concerned about over consumption. They ready and willing to place your overconsumption on your room charge.

We received consistently great customer service on our Dec 18-25 cruise... but that great service came after boarding or reboarding that was more about "Where's your booze?" than "Welcome Aboard!"

Hmmm:rolleyes:

NCL is the first cruise line that we've been on that did not allow you to bring "wine or beer"....so we will not be taking any. However, we always took it on our other cruises and the reason was to save money...simple as that.

I remember our first cruise. We were carrying a small bottle of wine and a six pack of beer in our arms in a paper bag...no problem! Boy how things have changed and I suspect that other cruise lines will be following NCL. They gotta pay for these huge ships somehow and I guess we are it! :rolleyes:

When it begins to get complicated and I have to start paying for just about eveything I do on the ship, that is when my cruising days will be over. :(

I remember our first cruise. We were carrying a small bottle of wine and a six pack of beer in our arms in a paper bag...no problem! Boy how things have changed and I suspect that other cruise lines will be following NCL. They gotta pay for these huge ships somehow and I guess we are it!
My thought is that alcohol used to be included in your cruise price. At least it was on the Norway in 1984. If you brought your own, it saved them money. Now alcohol is ala carte. I agree with many people here that the rule against bringing your own alcohol is a financial one. If they don't generate that revenue, maybe cruise prices will go up again or cruise lines will go out of business and create less competition in turn cruise prices go up. I buy maybe 3 drinks during a 7 day cruise so I'm happy to have the lower cruise fare versus unlimited alcohol.

By the way, I meant to say this earlier. My mom brings a bottle of bourbon on every cruise she goes on. And unlike many here, she doesn't buy just as many drinks at the bar. She goes back to the room for every drink. I don't think she's a bad person. She gets away with it. Heck, during our cruise last January I told my grandfather the best tips for how to smuggle the bourbon he wanted. But I also made it clear to him that it may be taken away and he was willing to take his chances and live with the outcome.

We had dinner last night with a former crew member and his wife of 13 years, he had been an NCL employee for 7 years. I asked him about this issue, and he said the same things about making the revenue, etc which we already know anyway. I've heard it said from more than one crew member "Those cheap Americans,they can afford to cruise but they're cheapskates when it comes to buying alcohol and tipping". I understand that is their perception regardless of whether it is true or not, but I guess if you to nickle and dime everything to death (even on alcohol) then you either have to plan better, budget better, or accept having to pay the higher prices. Nobody is a bad person if they choose to drink or smuggle, but I can't be bothered by wasting the energy trying to figure out how to smuggle alcohol, then being upset because I can't have my way or it got confiscated. I think the majority of people can't be bothered like this either, for the majority I believe can take it or leave it. Sadly, it's always the minor issues that seem to be majored on in these forums....Menina

"I am Dr. Menina Godoy and I approve this message" :)

To adopt another great cruise ship phrase, "Bingo!"

That's why you see all these wordy attempts to rationalise what basically amounts to "I don't like the rules, so I'm going to evade them." NoPiratesPlease makes it clear that he has the integrity to refrain from evasion, but the true smugglers equally clearly don't - and they seem to be proud of it.

Hmmm:rolleyes:

NCL is the first cruise line that we've been on that did not allow you to bring "wine or beer"....so we will not be taking any. However, we always took it on our other cruises and the reason was to save money...simple as that.

I remember our first cruise. We were carrying a small bottle of wine and a six pack of beer in our arms in a paper bag...no problem! Boy how things have changed and I suspect that other cruise lines will be following NCL. They gotta pay for these huge ships somehow and I guess we are it! :rolleyes:

When it begins to get complicated and I have to start paying for just about eveything I do on the ship, that is when my cruising days will be over. :(

One thing we all can count on is change. How we deal with it or react to it is under our control.

First cruise 1989, NCL Seaward(now The Sea), outside cabin, $3420. I was broke when we boarded the ship had about 200 credit remain on the CC. 200 in cash and nobody told me about TIPS!

Frist port carried on a 12 pack of beer and a bottle of Ameretto. No problem

Last time in the Western on the Sun $1150 outside that left a lot of room to pay for drinks.

A lot of change some for the better some not depending on your situation. Even if I had to pay for every drink, eat in a specialty resturant every night to get the vacation I want cruising is a far better value today.

I and many will continue smuggle and most will succeed. Not a $ issue but a quality issue. Last August since I was flying into Canada was the first cruise I did not bring anything onboard. I hated it.

Had the bucket of beer for my sons, massive balcony in an AD suite (thank you NCL upsell same price as that little cabin on the SEA) to enjoy Alaska as it passed by. If I wanted to sit there and have a single malt or a Martini it was run to the bar, spill half on the way back or call room service, which in turn contacted the Bultler, who 30 minutes later brought the drink.

Too much of a production. So my driving force is not to break the rules because I can, not to save a few dollars, but to maximise the relaxation that I booked a cruise for.

I'm not sure why you choose to single me out when others feel as I do. My posts are not hostile; they're direct. Maybe you're biased against what I write before you even read it.

Truly, I do not mean to get into a snip match with anyone. I think you express yourself quite well, Cecilia. I responded to you in particular, probably because you are a moderator, and I was quite surprised to see a moderator making posts that sounded a little...okay, maybe not hostile, but certainly a little snippy!

You see, you fail to see the difference between smuggling a bottle of booze because you like a little drink before dinner and the people here who do it just because they can and just because they feel entitled to decide what rules they will and won't follow.

No, I do see the difference. That's why I pointed out in my own post that not everyone who brings booze on board is "trying to see what we can get away with". I don't think that's ever a reason to break a rule, because that attitude doesn't discriminate between reasonable rules and unreasonable ones.

Third, you know absolutely nothing about me. But you did call me closedminded and speak as if you know me personally. That goes back to you being biased against anything I write. I'll keep my opinion of you to myself.

Never professed to know you personally. What I said is that you *sound* like a certain type of person. And you yourself stated that "there is no reason to keep trying to change my opinion". That is why I said "you've made it clear that your mind is closed" on this topic. And hey, ya gotta admit the "I'll keep my opinion of you to myself" comment is a little...well...the word "snippy" does come to mind!

I do hope you are not taking all this personally. I'm not! :)

To those of you who have difficulty with the "wordiness" of some of our posts, the point is not to bury a different message that you seem to be (wrongly) reading into our posts. Trust me, I mean exactly what I say, not something else that you might interpret. The point is to clarify our opinions and positions for the purpose of helping others to understand them. I personally don't feel a need to rationalize, as I am quite comfortable with my choices, and don't need anyone's permission. Some of us just take pleasure in a good, cogent and comprehensive debate, and consider it a challenge to sway other's opinions when we feel strongly about something. It's actually a skill taught in college.

LeeAnne

So my driving force is not to break the rules because I can, not to save a few dollars, but to maximise the relaxation that I booked a cruise for.

Yeah! What he said! :D And look how few words you said it in, too. ;)

LeeAnne

Truly, I do not mean to get into a snip match with anyone. I think you express yourself quite well, Cecilia. I responded to you in particular, probably because you are a moderator, and I was quite surprised to see a moderator making posts that sounded a little...okay, maybe not hostile, but certainly a little snippy!
My posts aren't meant to come out that way. I'm direct. I don't enjoy beating around the bush or candy coating things. My husband has told me that sometimes it can sound confrontational. I always figure that I'm an adult and as an adult I can say exactly what I feel to other people and not waste anyone's time with mumbo jumbo. I forget that not everyone is that way. I'm not saying you're that way but in general some people like to make nice and skirt the issues versus meeting them head on. As for being the moderator...I'm a board member too. As the host I make sure the community guidelines are not broken. I'm still allowed to post my opinions just like every member.
And hey, ya gotta admit the "I'll keep my opinion of you to myself" comment is a little...well...the word "snippy" does come to mind!
I actually didn't mean for that to be snippy at all. I meant that even though you were not shy to tell me what you thought about me, I would not do that to you. So that came out wrong.
I do hope you are not taking all this personally. I'm not! :)
Nope...I don't take disagreements on this board personally. I used to and it hurt my feelings when people would call me nasty names to the administrator because as the host they didn't think I should have my own opinion. Now, I try to leave personal feelings out of it (not always successfully) and enjoy the board for what it is. It's a fun diversion for most of us and a great source for information. Whenever I feel like I'm being misunderstood I just agree to disagree with whoever I'm chatting with like I tried to do earlier in this thread but I got pulled back in! :)
Some of us just take pleasure in a good, cogent and comprehensive debate, and consider it a challenge to sway other's opinions when we feel strongly about something. It's actually a skill taught in college.
I think this is where you and I are in complete agreement. ;) When I finished my master's degree last year, I had to defend my thesis to a panel of 5 professors. I had a very intricate and far outside of the box idea about how to close the digital divide without increasing cultural imperialism. I felt so strongly about this thesis and it's validity that I fought to the death to have them see it's value. So I understand completely when you say that if the issue is important enough to us, we take on the challenge of having other people see our side too.

As for smuggling...good luck. I hope they don't catch it. I don't smuggle because I don't drink that much. And my luggage is always too heavy anyway. There wouldn't be any room for alcohol. Also, I don't think the cruise line rule is wrong. It's their rule and because it's their ball...they can make the rules for who gets to play. Not everyone agrees with that. Many people think that they should be able to decide if this rule should apply to them. I disagree. But they're good people; I'm a good person. We just disagree on this issue.

I'm certain most of you already know my feelings on this subject - it has appeared in many other threads and frequently gets me into a bit of trouble. I have been reading this thread several times a day and just trying to be good. I think I'll stay out of this one - but, no promises - I'm just very mellow this week since we leave for our cruise around the Horn in a few days. All I want is some thanks from all you tea todlers for all us boozers that help subsidize your cruise cost with all the money we give the cruise lines for their inflated (that means overpriced) alcohol.

"By the way...NCL is not the only cruise line so there are other options for your cruise."

You missed my point COMPLETELY! There are now only 3 major cruise lines. They comprise an oligopoly. When one "gets away" with something, the other two immediately follow. There really are no OTHER choices.

I find it very amusing that your remarks are "direct" but mine and others are "hostile and judgemental". I suppose it depends on your vantage point. I thought MY remarks were direct and cogent arguments.

I like old rums from Martinique. It's fine, it's expensive, it's hard to get (especially in the US)--and very, VERY few ships stock it--The WindSurf did about 6 years ago. I don't like Scotch or most whiskeys, I'm so-so on gin, and the only vodka I like is Grey Goose. But what I like to drink best, I cannot get on ships unless I bring it. I'm not trying to screw the cruise lines out of their alcohol revenue. The last time I bought booze I could get back home was on our first cruise. Since then I only buy what I cannot get. But for some reason nobody in the US relishes the fine old rums the way they do the 15 year old single malt scotches. The ONLY rums I've been able to get in the US of that quality have been St.James (1982 and 1979 vintages). JM, J.Bally, Clement, Trois Rivieres, De Mauny, Dillon--none of these come to the US, in part because of the efforts of Bacardi to block true fine rum competition.

So I like to bring a bottle (on ships that allow it) for my cabin. There was even one ship (that had no rule) where I used to "trade" rums with a couple of the officers. I'd try to bring them something new and wonderful and they'd try to find me something I never tasted. Being invited to the Officers' Wardroom on the Caronia was about the highest honor we've ever received. It was, by far, the best bar on the ship--and the most fun. Unlike the public bars, the Wardroom bartender was cheap on the mixers, not the liquor! He could make 6 rum-and-cokes with one can of Coke!

Archived