Need your opinion, please, for a Greek Island cruise

Travel Alot

I enjoy Carnival cruises [Platinum now], and have tried RCI and others...always enjoy cruising. My mother [75 and very active] & I made an agreement that we would go to the Greek Isles on a 10 day cruise after my father passed away...which he recently expired the end of August [he was a retired airline pilot so he and my mother traveled extensively]. My mother wants to cruise on HAL and is depending on me to make all the reservations. Does anyone have suggestions or opinions as to which month to go, which ship to pick and which route? Any guidance would be much appreciated!

I have looked on HAL's web page and it is somewhat overwhelming...

Thank you so much.

I enjoy Carnival cruises [Platinum now], and have tried RCI and others...always enjoy cruising. My mother [75 and very active] & I made an agreement that we would go to the Greek Isles on a 10 day cruise after my father passed away...which he recently expired the end of August [he was a retired airline pilot so he and my mother traveled extensively]. My mother wants to cruise on HAL and is depending on me to make all the reservations. Does anyone have suggestions or opinions as to which month to go, which ship to pick and which route? Any guidance would be much appreciated!

I have looked on HAL's web page and it is somewhat overwhelming...

Thank you so much.

I think I can speak with some knowledge of having lived in 2 suburbs of Athens called Ano Glyfada and Ano Voula for a total of 4 years. So from experience the best time for the Athens and Greek Isles is late May to mid June. The temps are relatively mild and not hot yet, the spring rains are over, (you do not want to be on Greek streets when it rains as there are no drainage and they are made from marble dust) the beaches are gorgeous and you do not have the heavy influx of tourists, yet!

Greece is beautiful!!! And the people are fantastic and will bend over backwards to help you in any way you need or want.

I think Princess has better itineraries for the Greek isles including Mykenos, Santarini, Rhodes, Katakolon, Corfu, etc. However, we are seriously considering the Inaugural cruise of the Nieuw Amsterdam out of Venice on July 4 that goes to Corfu and Katakolon Greece, as well as Dubrovnik, Split, Kotor (Montanegro) and Ravenna Italy.

If you want to cruise in 2010, join a group of us on Westerdam roll call for a 10 day cruise to the Eastern Med. roundtrip starting in Venice, May 4, 2010 and returning May 16, 2010. The Westerdam will visit the ports of Split,, Piraeus (Athens), Istanbul overnight ,Mykonos, Kusadasi, Santorini, Katakolon (Olympia), Venice and two sea days interspersed between mentioned ports.

Good hunting!!

We just did our 5th on Celebrity Solstice (brand new ship)........ wow.

We began in Rome, Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul overnight, Kusadasi, Athens, Naples and Rome.

We sailed the first of the season (May 4th) and it was really really nice.

Not too hot and not too cold.

HAL is cutting back on their cruises in Europe in 2010, so you will be a bit more limited than in the recent past. But here is what I might suggest for a 10 night cruise if you stick with HAL:

itinerary name: 10-DAY ROMAN EMPIRE

ship: Noordam

Ports of Call:

(embarkation) Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy;

Dubrovnik, Croatia;

Kerkira (Corfu), Greece;

Katakolon (Olympia), Greece;

Thira (Santorini), Greece;

Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey;

Piraeus (Athens), Greece;

Messina, Italy

(debarkation) Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy;

Departure Dates: Sep 08, 2010 , Sep 28, 2010

Are the crowds less in September? Also has the weather cooled down ? Thanks.

The crowds are the same in Sept. It's just that there are fewer kids because they are in school. The weather was perfect last year when we sailed in Sept. We did the 24 day Med cruise with many stops in Greece on the second half the the cruise.

The ship (Zuiderdam) was great.

Terri

However, we are seriously considering the Inaugural cruise of the Nieuw Amsterdam out of Venice on July 4 that goes to Corfu and Katakolon Greece, as well as Dubrovnik, Split, Kotor (Montanegro) and Ravenna Italy.

I recommend you think about this very seriously. I was on the inaugural voyage of her sister, the E-dam. The cruise was not as good as those I've taken on ships that have been sailing longer. The crew had not "jelled" into a well-oiled team. The per diem was high, but there was nothing extra to justify the cost. There was nothing special about it, in spite of the hype.

HAL is cutting back on their cruises in Europe in 2010, so you will be a bit more limited than in the recent past. But here is what I might suggest for a 10 night cruise if you stick with HAL:

itinerary name: 10-DAY ROMAN EMPIRE

ship: Noordam

Ports of Call:

(embarkation) Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy;

Dubrovnik, Croatia;

Kerkira (Corfu), Greece;

Katakolon (Olympia), Greece;

Thira (Santorini), Greece;

Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey;

Piraeus (Athens), Greece;

Messina, Italy

(debarkation) Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy;

Departure Dates: Sep 08, 2010 , Sep 28, 2010

I did similar B2B cruises in NOORDAM last year and was not disappointed in the slightest, either with itinerary or the ship. NOORDAM is a lovely ship as all who have sailed in her will probably agree. Go on this one... I think I just might make a booking myself!

Stephen

I recommend you think about this very seriously. I was on the inaugural voyage of her sister, the E-dam. The cruise was not as good as those I've taken on ships that have been sailing longer. The crew had not "jelled" into a well-oiled team. The per diem was high, but there was nothing extra to justify the cost. There was nothing special about it, in spite of the hype.

Hi Ruth - I appreciate your advice so much about thinking twice about taking the Nieuw Amsterdam inaugural voyage from Venice on July 4th. In fact I have read on these Cruise Critic boards about the growing pains that most ships endure during their maiden voyages. I guess we have never been on a maiden voyage before and thought it might be fun to sleep in a stateroom that no one else has ever slept in. I figure if we kept our expectations within reason we might enjoy the celebratory atmosphere. We can probably go with the punches with less than stellar service. My major concern is the possibility of the cruise being canceled due to a construction delay.

The Nieuw Amsterdam's first cruise is unusual in that it is actually two cruises. Krys alerted me to the fact that the ship returns to Venice on the third day. I then looked again at the online sailing dates and in fact the ship will pick up passengers for a seven day cruise when it returns to Venice. So perhaps things may improve on the second voyage, which of course, is only three days later.

Again, thank you for your input from your experience that we will take seriously under consideration. If we do go, I will be sure to provide feedback in this forum. - Emile

You might consider looking at the itineraries for Oceania. They seem to include quite a few stops in the Greek Islands. There is Myth & Legends tour leaving Oct 12, 2010 from Venice with stops in Dubrovnick, Kotor, Corfu Greece, Itea Greece, Zakinthos Greece, Monemvasia Greece, Crete, Santorini, Kusadasi, Delos Greece, Mykonos Greece and Athens.

They are expensive.

You might consider looking at the itineraries for Oceania. They seem to include quite a few stops in the Greek Islands. There is Myth & Legends tour leaving Oct 12, 2010 from Venice with stops in Dubrovnick, Kotor, Corfu Greece, Itea Greece, Zakinthos Greece, Monemvasia Greece, Crete, Santorini, Kusadasi, Delos Greece, Mykonos Greece and Athens.

They are expensive.

That is what I call a Greek Island cruise. You need to visit Crete besides Santorini and Mykonos. It is a pity that Rhodes is not included as well. I can highly recommend Oceania, you will not be disappointed with the ship, service and food if you decide to do this wonderful itinerary. We did a Greek Island cruise way back in 1995 and we did it in late Sept/October. It was still warm in Athens and the islands we visited.

Jennie

Another you might want to look into is the 10 days Azamara cruise leaving on June 10, 2010. Azamara is in similar price range as HAL.

Athens (over night)

Nauplion

Mykonos

Santorini

Rhodes

Bodrum

Kusadasi

Istanbul (over night)

Additional points to ponder -- Oceania and Azamara are smaller ships with only 700 guests, so I read that there are less activities/entertainment; the cruise above is very port intensive with only 1 sea day towards the end of the trip; cabins are smaller than HAL; Azamara is part of Royal Caribbean, so your seniority on Royal Caribbean counts.

>>Azamara is part of Royal Caribbean, so your seniority on Royal Caribbean counts. >>

Azamara is part of Celebrity cruise line.

Royal Caribbean, Azamara and Celebrity are all part of the same holding company. So you are both right :D

Archived