Good Morning from the PACIFIC PRINCESS

Toto2Kansas

In fact, we have probably never been treated better onboard a ship in our lives. Is it the suite we booked, or possibly because of the problems we have had? We will never know for sure, but each of the officers have treated us more like royalty each time we meet.

This cruise for an anniversay is absolutely the perfect choice. But be forwarned, it is not one for someone that might not take rough seas very well. We have sailed the Hawaii to Tahiti cruise 4 times and never once had a smooth sailing of it. We love the motion of the ocean, but I am afraid some passengers onboard would definitely argue that point with us. lol

Toto - We were just on the Pacific in Aug/Sept. I also noticed that the staff was absolutely the best we had ever experienced. (And we let them know!) We were in a balcony - not suite. So I guess they are just that good. We also had some rough seas for a few days, but like you - it just makes it more interesting to us!

You are doing my dream vacation - and plan to do it (and add on the OZ/New Zealand part also) as soon as we can get the time off. So keep it coming - I'll live in yours for now!!:D

We loved our 20 night b2b on the Tahitian Princess 3 years ago. We made a decision NOT to lug formal wear and were well aware of the "fashion police". We had a table for 2 and on all the formal nights I wore a long Tahitian sundress, and DH wore a tropical shirt and white dockers. We both wore sandals. The only looks we got were from the poor men who were suffering in Tuxs when it was sunny and 80! We will not "hide out" on formal nights and on that particular cruise, we did not dress formal.

First of all, thanks for not flaming me with the question about formal nights in the South Pacific. WeBeGone, we do not want to lug formal clothes there as well. In some ways, formal wear does seems very out of place in the South Pacific by nature of the place itself. Did not have to do it on the Paul Gauguin, and they handled dress code well. I am beginning to think that we may do room service in the suite for formal nights. I smile at the highlighted bit above!! We are doing 30 days onboard, and are just looking to relax, unwind, and not have to dress to the nines. We do that in the Med! WeBeGone, did they confirm your table for two prior to boarding?

Toto, was the motu lunch done by Princess, or was it put on as a private excursion? Just wondering as there was a motu that we went to when we last cruised there. Great snorkeling a bit further out, wonderful white sand, and the backdrop was Mount Otemanu. Awesome. Just wondering if this is a motu used by the ships that frequent Bora Bora. I know there are plenty of motus, but this was close to the ship.

We are getting excited now. It's getting so close. Toto, just a quick suggestion, but try some of the Tahitian Soaps and oils....wonderful. Love the Monoi Tiare. I put it on whever I want to be transported back there. Just put some on!!;)

Toto, as you are onboard for quite a long time as well, do you have any tips for us?

Thanks all!!

I'm not going to turn Totos live from thread into a formal night debate.

what I'm about to say is my experience only.

when I was on the 2nd leg of our b2b hawaii/tahiti cruise,during the day of what would have been formal night I was seriously injured with 1/2 of the bottom of my big toe being ripped off and subsequently super glued back together

by the ships doctor because the seas were too rough for stitches

if I wanted to attend the captains party and formal night I would have had to have shorts on, not my black dress. I would have had one foot with nothing on except heavy bandaging and the other in a rubber flip flop definately not the cute black strappy heels

Renzo the Maitre D said I could enjoy formal night in shorts and flip flops(we also had a table for 2)after all the injury was Princess' fault

However, on the prior formal nights everyone was decked out and I didn't want to ruin the ambience for my fellow passengers. I had 3 head waiters tell me how much they appreciated and admired that I was respectful of my other passengers ...especially since I had a valid excuse and permission granted from Renzo

There was quite a few of us at the buffet and it was VERY tasty...

They even made arrangements to bring me a lobster tail the following evening for dinner!

I love wearing all my hawaiian outfits on this itinerary..it really lends itself to the relaxation you receive on this itinerary and would prefer not dressing up...

Anyway that was my experience in Tahiti...3 of them, the entire ship was dressed up in the dining...and the last one I ate at the buffet.

Glad to see you are having a great time. I'm curious about wifi in public areas. Such as 10 forward(lounge), & library. I tried 10 forward on debarkation day but they said internet had been down since the late evening before.

Thanks

Donna....

they usually turn the internet off during last evening and debarkation day

to settle the accounts.

I know when I've done a b2b there can be a bit of time on the turn around day before I can access in the internet...

Back from another perfect day (the weather couldn't have been better) on Moorea. We again (for the 4th or 5th time) took the Princess excursion over to a Motu and enjoyed a picnic and a bit of very rough snorkeling (not the best ith a very strong current, but thankfully we both brought our fins along) and a bit of beach time with some of our CC friends (before they disembark tomorrow).

To answer the question about Bora Bora, that was on a private excursion (Patrick) and not through the ship. We have not done the ship sponsered lunch on a Motu yet, always private excursions on Bora Bora.

We will be there for two days next week, and we will venture out on our own next time and see what we can find privately.

To comment on the formal night issue. Marco (the Food and Beverage supervisor) told us we would be welcomed in the dining room, even though DH was not in a suit/tux (I usually wear a long Hawaiian/Tahitian dress, so that would definitely been appropriate. But seeing how others were dressed throughout the ship, I will again say that we just were not ready to 'sour' the mood for the others that enjoy dressing up on formal night. I am sure there would not be a problem going to the dining room if you would like, totally our decision to dine in the suite instead of going with the flow. We even ventured up to the buffet for dessert after our lobster dinner. We just dine either in our suite or at the buffet if we don't plan to adhere to the suggested dress for the evening. But whatever someone is comfortable doing, I am sure they would accept.

OH My, I am going to have to cut this short for now. I am on the balcony and the sun is shinning so bright I can't even see the screen. I will try to check back and hopefully can post a link to more pictures in the next two days as we will have plenty of down time in Papeete (if we decide not to take the ferry over to Moorea) tomorrow, and the following day.

Heading into Le Marche first thing in the morning for a good choice of flowers to add to the stateroom.

So far, internet access has been available on our balcony 99% of the time. I have learned to copy posts though as they do 'poof' quite often and it does disconnect me many times. So, copying and pasting to try again takes much less time then starting from the beginning. ;)

toto you are painting a perfect picture for us!

thought i would also address the motu lunch

we booked a Princess shorex for a motu lunch on Moorea.

they in turn used a private company that took us out to the motu, hosted lunch, gave pareo tying lessons, we could snorkel and also pet sting rays if we wanted.

it wasnt like when you go to Princess Cays and Princess hosts the entire day

The food, entertainment and experience was simple, but yet extraordinary

We booked our cruise at the last minute, so there wasnt much time to diy...

but we werent dissappointed in this shorex and i highly recommend it.

Wheretonext-Yes, we seem to book the same excursion in Moorea each time we visit. The same one we did this morning/afternoon. The snorkeling isn't great, but it makes for a pretty nice beach day with lunch. Although anyone that plans on this had better bring thick water shoes, the beach isn't (and never has been) actually sandy. Lots of rocks, and I mean lots and lots of rocks.

We just pulled into Papeete. And since we were the first of the season for Princess, there was a ceremony held on the dock. Tahitian dancers (both male and female) proformed and the Captain and many of the officers (including our friend Ivono) were presented with a lei and lots of pictures and video was taken of the event. I tried to get a few pics myself, but we were not allowed off the ship yet, so we had to stand on the upper decks and the pictures are quite dark.

We are always amazed at how Papeete has changed in the last (almost 20 years) since our first visit here. The old Fair Princess was one of the only ships that came to Papeete at that time (that we were aware of), and there wan't much of a dock or pier, or anything. Then some years later they built the pavillion and concrete area. NOW, Oh My, we have a new pier and the ship backs into port instead of pulling along side, as we have always done previously. The changes are simply amazing and we barely recognized where the ship was pulling in to.

I doubt we will get off the ship until morning, as we may attend the Tahitian show on deck this evening. If it's too crowded, we may just wait until the end of the next cruise when I am sure it will be repeated.

As we look off our aft balcony, which now faces downtown Papeete, it is a completely different site then we have seen for the last 11 days. Two complete days in Papeete for us now, but as said earlier, the ferry to Moorea is just to the left and a short walk, so we may end up back in Moorea in the next couple of days.

I will try to attach a couple of pictures to this message, as I haven't had the time to download them to webshots the last few days, sorry guys, it's been a busy time since we arrived. But I will try while we are docked and see if they may be easier to download to an album there.

Sue - knowing how you and Jim love to snorkel, I hope you've signed up for the "drift snorkel" while in Raitea. I think it was the highlight of our trip 3 years ago, along with the motu day with Patrick on Huihene. The half day excursion into the forest outside of Papetee is worth the money and if you're feeling adventurous, take the city bus out to the Gauguin museum. It's very far from town so the drive is worth it.

WeBeGone, did they confirm your table for two prior to boarding?

No, we were confirmed at a small table for early seating. (we always do anytime dining so having assigned dinner was a first) As soon as we boarded I searched out the MD and confirmed a table for 2 by a window. Of course, keep in mind that the tables for 2 are literally one foot from a 6 top so the waiters usually treat the 2 top like an extension of the large table near by.

Having a table for 2 did however make our dining move faster as on the first night, I made it clear that we were not into a 2 hour dinner. I know it made the waiter work harder and "out of sequence" so we gave him an extra large tip at the end of the 20 days (in addition to auto tips in place).

Hi Vette. We will be onboard from Nov.18th-Dec18th, so we will meet for sure. I think I saw on the roll call that you have a get together with your friends. Food, drinks, etc as if you were on a sail away. If I could be there, I could supply the Tahitian music that I have collected. Just having a listen now actually.

Toto, each installment makes me want to be there right now. You are right in how downtown has changed. We were first there 18 years ago, and such a difference. The change has been slower on the other islands to me. Raitea, Huahuine are still very quiet. Have you been out to the Marquesa Islands? Wonderfully remote and very much unchanged !

Toto, are you now at the start of the 10 day voyages Princess are doing through the islands until December? How much longer do you have on board?

WeBeGone, thanks for the tip about getting a table for two by the window. Have to book the table, the ultimate balcony dining, the spa pass, and possibly the chef's table(I am a picky eater), as soon as I get on board. Wish they could be done prior. Also, as far as the drift snorkel is concerned, do you have to be a very strong swimmer?

After the Tahitian Show last night, we came back to the stateroom and went to bed around 11:30. Now, for 10 straight nights, the ship gently rocked me to sleep, and within 5 minutes I was out like a light. But last night I found sleeping impossible while tied up at the pier. I kept waiting for a bit of motion, a little pitching here and there, but nothing. :( 2:00 AM and I was still awake. I can not wait to set sail tomorrow evening and get back to the reason we are here. lol (I know, poor me) :)

Sabatinis is closed this morning, so we ordered breakfast from room service. Since our balcony overlooks downtown Papeete, it was so noisey out there we brought it inside. Nothing peaceful out there for the next couple of days I am afraid. I am sure the buffet is a zoo, and we didn't feel like going to the dining room, so this was our best option.

The phone keeps ringing telling me that we have a credit on our account they forgot to give us so we are to stop by the reception desk this morning to pick it up in cash. Not sure what that's all about, but will stop in and check out the line later on as we leave for Le Marche.

You can tell the stress the staff is under on this crazy turn-around day. With almost double the passenger load onboard for much of the day, it might be a tad crowded in some areas. We plan on going into town and then opening up our suite for our cruise critic friends later on to shower and freshen up before their long flights home. I have already ordered extra toiletries and towels, and have drinks chilled for their arrival.

It's been a great 11 days, and compared to other sailings, it really has not flown by like the others. Maybe because we had so many sea days to relax, or because there were so many options (dining) these last 11 days, but it has been worth every single cent we paid for this suite. And we tried and were sucessful at enjoying every single moment.

If anyone can fit this one into the budget, I just can't say enough about the comforts and space afforded in the OS suites on these smaller ships. (they actually make the full suites on the mega ships appear small in comparison).

It looks to be a beautiful day and the heavy rain from last night has passed. Our snorkel gear got an extra fresh rain water rince at sometime during the night while I was tossing and turning. lol

Will again attempt to attach a few pics to this message and see if it will work. I may have to go up to the library or take the netbook to a closer hot spot if it doesn't. I tried, but one of Moorea is all it will allow me to attach. So, will have to try the rest later on.

1683612744_Moorea011.jpg.34dfecebfb5c67265420f3b14577ff46.jpg

Thank you so much for updating us on your trip! I can't wait to get back to FP next month :) Please let us know about all your excursions. I'm especially curious about Rangiroa, since there is not much info available about excursions there yet.

Toto you are such a great cruise critic friend. What a generous favor you are doing, opening your cabin for showers et al. I hope I can sail with you someday:)

I have rethought the anniversary sailing......DH would probably not do well with rough seas, and I am like you, I kind of like a little rocking. Maybe it will need to be a girls trip

I so enjoy reading about your travels. Thanks so much fro sharing your trip with us!

Linda

Toto,

Didn't someone from CC trade cabins with you so you would not have to change cabis at the end of the first cruise? Is this the half of the trip that you traded? Did someone know about the problem months ago?

Paul, Exactly correct, you have a great memory. We had originally booked 6091 (as that was all that became available when we decided to book this as a B2B for the first leg). No, these problems were new, and just developted after we boarded. BUT-since Dorothy made such a generous offer to switch with us, and were only onboard for the first cruise, and not doing a B2B, if it had to happen to one of us, I am glad it was us and not them. I would have hated to see them with all of these problems on their first cruise without their children, and celebrating their anniversary, and only doing 11 days. We survived the malfunctions and things seem to be going quite well with only an occasional malfuntion which is easily repaired with a simple word to the right person now.

I have to admit, turnaround day did not go as smoothly, so far, as we expected. Lots of confusion as to when to switch to our new cruise cards and digging out the old ones several times to leave and return, and then finally, we were able to check in and have a new picture taken this last time. Nothing major, but that call at 7:00 AM, in fact it ended up being three calls about the credit we had that they forgot to apply, by three different staff members, was totally uncalled for on turnaround day for us when we could have slept in. (I think I am just a bit cranky from lack of sleep last night, maybe I need another coffee to wake me up lol). They ended up just applying the credit to this next cruise, which could have been done over the telephone the first time or later in the morning.

But anyway, we just returned from Le Marche with another beautiful flower arrangement for the dining room table to add to the beauty of the cabin. Also a fresh lei to hang up as I love the smell and Tahiti isn't just the sites, but the smells, that mean so much to both of us.

It's very hot outside, and since we have toured the island several times in the past, we plan to just stay cool today and enjoy the balcony (which is now shaded and comfortable). Although they could take away the traffic noise and the city sounds and give me back the great sounds of the wake we have grown so used to this past 11 days. :) That will come tomorrow evening, and we are again looking so forward to it.

If we awake in enough time (hopefully no early morning calls tomorrow) we may just jump on the ferry and spend the day in Moorea at a beach. Haven't decided yet what we will do.

I will check in again and hopefully have time to upload those pictures soon. Yes, I admit it, I am being lazy today as I have the time, just want to relax and enjoy the afternoon. ;)

Paul, Exactly correct, you have a great memory. We had originally booked 6091 (as that was all that became available when we decided to book this as a B2B for the first leg). No, these problems were new, and just developted after we boarded. BUT-since Dorothy made such a generous offer to switch with us, and were only onboard for the first cruise, and not doing a B2B, if it had to happen to one of us, I am glad it was us and not them. I would have hated to see them with all of these problems on their first cruise without their children, and celebrating their anniversary, and only doing 11 days. We survived the malfunctions and things seem to be going quite well with only an occasional malfuntion which is easily repaired with a simple word to the right person now.

I have to admit, turnaround day did not go as smoothly, so far, as we expected. Lots of confusion as to when to switch to our new cruise cards and digging out the old ones several times to leave and return, and then finally, we were able to check in and have a new picture taken this last time. Nothing major, but that call at 7:00 AM, in fact it ended up being three calls about the credit we had that they forgot to apply, by three different staff members, was totally uncalled for on turnaround day for us when we could have slept in. (I think I am just a bit cranky from lack of sleep last night, maybe I need another coffee to wake me up lol). They ended up just applying the credit to this next cruise, which could have been done over the telephone the first time or later in the morning.

But anyway, we just returned from Le Marche with another beautiful flower arrangement for the dining room table to add to the beauty of the cabin. Also a fresh lei to hang up as I love the smell and Tahiti isn't just the sites, but the smells, that mean so much to both of us.

It's very hot outside, and since we have toured the island several times in the past, we plan to just stay cool today and enjoy the balcony (which is now shaded and comfortable). Although they could take away the traffic noise and the city sounds and give me back the great sounds of the wake we have grown so used to this past 11 days. :) That will come tomorrow evening, and we are again looking so forward to it.

If we awake in enough time (hopefully no early morning calls tomorrow) we may just jump on the ferry and spend the day in Moorea at a beach. Haven't decided yet what we will do.

I will check in again and hopefully have time to upload those pictures soon. Yes, I admit it, I am being lazy today as I have the time, just want to relax and enjoy the afternoon. ;)

No rush for the pics its your vacation enjoy :)

You have been more than generous sharing this wonderful cruise with us all...........Kruisey

As the sun went over, our balcony cooled off nicely. So we are sitting here listening to the Tahtiian live music playing softly in the background as we just enjoy our afternoon.

I wanted to send links back to the family (the real family lol) so thought I would get a few of the hundreds of pictures I took the last couple of days uploaded.

A few Bora Bora pics can be found here (the album says Moorea, my error, and I didn't want to take the time right now to fix the title): http://travel.webshots.com/album/575041170CyzsyO?vhost=travel

Moorea pics can be found here at Moorea II: http://community.webshots.com/album/575040178ayeAsG?vhost=community

Hi Toto..

I can only imagine what a shocking difference Papeete has become from your 1st visit.

I know it wasn't what I was expecting my 1st time in 2007. Not that I really had an expectation..but it sure wasn't THAT!

Nevertheless, we loved wandering around and hitting the big market, picking up flowers and a few other souvenirs!

I had to laugh when you mentioned not being rocked to sleep as that is my hardest adjustment to life when I depart any cruise!

that, and just pushing the room service button and food/drink magically appears...I really need to get the function on my phone at home! :D

thank you so much for your wonderful "live from" it just brings back such wonderful memories!

It's too bad you won't be there for the Havaiki Nui, we witnessed the finish from our balcony.....

anyone that might be reading this that will be in Tahiti in November...check to see if you will be in Bora Bora that day! Pack your binoculars!

It's just phenomenal!!!

Oh My, if you think it's bad now, you should have seen it almost 20 years ago.:eek: It is beautiful now in comparison.

We won't be here for the event, but you bet cha we have seen them practicing for it as we passed. We saw the race one year, can't remember which one, and it was fantastic.

Going to run for now, time to kick back and just do absolutely nothing. lol

I expect guests for the shower in about an hour, and my lack of sleep means a tiny rest is needed so I can greet them happily. ;)

Oh My, if you think it's bad now, you should have seen it almost 20 years ago.:eek: It is beautiful now in comparison.

Hi Toto,

Like you we have been visiting Tahiti for over 20 years,

and remember what it used to be like.

I am very proud of what they have done

with the redevelopment of the waterfront and pier area.

Streets ahead of what it was in the early days.

The thing that still amazes us even today,

is where does all that downtown traffic come from.

Its almost as if they they have decided that to be a modern town

they need traffic problems:eek:

It is so out of character with a tropical paradise,

but I guess thats life.

All the best for the rest of your cruise.

Trust changeover day is not too harrowing....

where2next,

What date is the Havaiki Nui? We will be there the last part of November. Could you explain a little bit about it?

Vette

Vette-

I had to do a search for the dates, but you're going to miss it the last of November. This site should explain it a bit more to you. http://mudbrookracingpaddles.com/newsarchieves/oc6havaikinuivaa06.html

We have watched as the locals practice, and they really put they're ALL into this one.

Archived