Good Morning from the PACIFIC PRINCESS

Toto2Kansas

Toto - we woke up to snow this morning! North Platte received 15", Omaha has 4.5" of snow and still snowing. Haven't heard what we received. I think you would have missed it as I think it went North of you but thought you would be glad to be gone right about now!

We have not got snow in Vancouver but the temperature dipped to 1C last nite and might reach 12C this afternoon..:eek:Other parts of Canada are also having the white stuff......Gee I am glad I bought some UG boots while cruising last winter seems it could be a cold one this year.

Enjoy the lovely Pacific princess in the warmth........Kruisey:)

Hi Toto,

Like you we have been visiting Tahiti for over 20 years,

and remember what it used to be like.

I am very proud of what they have done

with the redevelopment of the waterfront and pier area.

Streets ahead of what it was in the early days.

The thing that still amazes us even today,

is where does all that downtown traffic come from.

Its almost as if they they have decided that to be a modern town

they need traffic problems:eek:

It is so out of character with a tropical paradise,

but I guess thats life.

All the best for the rest of your cruise.

Trust changeover day is not too harrowing....

Yes--what a difference since my first trip in '79--locals bathing in the river and invitint you in by holding up a white bar--probably ivory soap--we stayed in the bungalows that were built for the movie Hurricane on Bora Bora--no locks on door and many of the locals weren't wearing clothing much of the time--Also, I think that was the year that Bloody Marys opened--very small--fish presented on a board--caught across the street--bar had room for about 5 or 6 people and probably had about that many tables-- memories, memories--oh and we snorkeled without fins but we wore canvas tennis shoes--like Keds

Nancy

Nancy

Yes--what a difference since my first trip in '79--locals bathing in the river and invitint you in by holding up a white bar--probably ivory soap--we stayed in the bungalows that were built for the movie Hurricane on Bora Bora--no locks on door and many of the locals weren't wearing clothing much of the time--Also, I think that was the year that Bloody Marys opened--very small--fish presented on a board--caught across the street--bar had room for about 5 or 6 people and probably had about that many tables-- memories, memories--oh and we snorkeled without fins but we wore canvas tennis shoes--like K

Nancy

Bloody mary's is bigger but still sand on the floor. food was yummy. then went swimming up the road before going back to town. all so worth it.

WeBeGone, as far as the drift snorkel is concerned, do you have to be a very strong swimmer?

No, it is the current that moves you through the water. You walk along the shore to the outside edge of the channel, give your water shoes to the guide, then put on your mask, snorkel, and fins. Everyone lines up and enters the water "follow the leader" style. The object is to stay in the line, not bump into the person in front of you, not touch any coral, and just let the current "drift" you towards the bay. We did it a second time on our own. It was amazing !!

Hawaiki Nui

I saw the link toto provided above

here are some videos on youtube

see link below

also on the right hand side of the youtube page check out the other related videos of Havaiki Nui, and the various teams along with sights of the islands

the rest of the NON outrigger canoes are the support teams, etc

that follow them.

we were in Bora Bora the day of the finish and watched from our balcony them racing into the bay, right past the ship.

the finish line is somewhere close to Bloody Marys

for us, it ranked up there as one of those "must" lifetime experiences

Just WOW!

Hi Toto,

Like you we have been visiting Tahiti for over 20 years,

and remember what it used to be like.

I am very proud of what they have done

with the redevelopment of the waterfront and pier area.

Streets ahead of what it was in the early days.

The thing that still amazes us even today,

is where does all that downtown traffic come from.

Its almost as if they they have decided that to be a modern town

they need traffic problems

It is so out of character with a tropical paradise,

but I guess thats life.

All the best for the rest of your cruise.

Trust changeover day is not too harrowing....

Remember when the ships pulled up parallel to the dock and you looked out and all you could see was the traffic circle and cars everywhere? Oh My, was that a shocker after leaving Moorea each time. At least now the beautiful Pavilion area has taken the place of that traffic circle. But the traffic is just as bad as ever. Since we are backed into the new pier, all we hear (especially in the early morning) is traffic, and all you can smell is exhaust fumes. :( I hung lei's around the stateroom in hopes to freshen up the air, as when we open the balcony door..............OMG the odor is overpowering.

I agree though, the pier has come a very long way since those days and now is much more appealing to the eye.

In fact, we walked over this evening and watched a great show of Tahitian dancers with live music (the ones that were on the pier for the ceremony the other evening to greet Princess ships back for another season in Tahiti). One little girl dancer was spectacular, and I managed to take a few pics of this one that I think turned out pretty well. Although we were all the way in the back, somehow one young male dancer tapped on my shoulder from behind and tried to get me up with the others that were chosen to dance. Now, I am a good sport, but I just could not bare the thought of totally embarrassing myself in front of a new ship full of passengers today. So I tried to be gracious, but declined. lol

Our old friends from the last cruise are on their way home now. All the luggage has been claimed from the tents, and their flight left about 10 minutes ago (or at least was supposed to). I would guess their flight left about 15 minutes late as we could see if take off overhead just after 10:00 PM. They left showered, and I hope refreshed, as our room steward left extra towels and toiletries for them. Since they were in the suite on the opposite side of the ship from us, they kept laughing how everything was the same, only backwords.

It was great sailing with this group, and I hope they have a safe flight back to the U.S. and Canada.

Time for me to try to catch a few ZZZZZ's now. And if the purser's desk tries calling me at 7:00 AM tomorrow morning, there definitely will be someone's head rolling this time. LOL (I could not get this to post last night, so saved it for this morning).

I hit the bed hard last night just before 10:30 and slept like a rock (to make up for yesterday). It’s another great day with the sun shining brightly on our balcony. Since it’s Saturday (I think), the traffic isn’t as busy as it was yesterday, and the exhaust fumes are tolerable. The pier is deserted this early, except for a few passengers out for an early morning run.

Not sure what we are doing today, but we will be heading up to Sabatinis in a few moments for breakfast (we sure did miss not having this option yesterday). But our waiters assured us that our ‘specialty coffees’ would be waiting for us as soon as we arrived, when we chatted with them upstairs last evening.

I noticed when I was talking with the future cruise rep yesterday that her flower (behind her ear) had lost a petal, and she said she was sad as she broke it. I saw some over in Le Marche yesterday and might just have to run back over and pick her up one as a surprise. She has been very very kind to us and I would like to show a bit of appreciataion.

I will try to check back in later on and report if we find anything fun to do today.

Toto, I'm a little confused about the debarkation of the 1st cruise.

You mentioned that your friends had to use your shower on their last day. Let's if I understood correctly:

They had to leave their cabin by a certain time in the morning ( so cabin stewards could get the cabin ready for new guests?) but were still allowed to come and go on the ship as they had late flights (and that's why with your generosity, they were able to freshen up before their flight?)

Is that the procedure for the last day?:confused:

Just wanted to understand as this cruise is on our bucketlist.:)

When we boaded the Tahitian Princess in Papeete 2 years ago, the people disembarking were allowed to stay on board until it was time to leave for the airport. As I recall the last group left during dinnner. They could use the pool and eat at the buffet. They could not get back into their cabins.

This was the only time we boarded a Princess ship before the cabins were ready.

same experience as above...if you are planning on this being a relaxing day if you are on a b2b..it wasnt really...in fact even worse....as both people arriving and departing were in the pool, library, buffet and with lots of carryon luggage everywhere and of course the departure announcements went later than usual.

if you do a b2b, just leave the ship for as long as possible..

Toto, I'm a little confused about the debarkation of the 1st cruise.

You mentioned that your friends had to use your shower on their last day. Let's if I understood correctly:

They had to leave their cabin by a certain time in the morning ( so cabin stewards could get the cabin ready for new guests?) but were still allowed to come and go on the ship as they had late flights (and that's why with your generosity, they were able to freshen up before their flight?)

Is that the procedure for the last day?

Just wanted to understand as this cruise is on our bucketlist.

Yes, that is exactly how it works. Those flying home had to vacate their staterooms by 8:00 AM. They were free to come and go as they pleased during the afternoon and early evening and the buffet was open all morning, afternoon and evening for them to dine when they wished. The transfer to the airport was at 15 minute intervals beginning at about 6:00 PM (might have been slightly earlier). They can check their carry ons at Sterlings Steakhouse so they do not have to keep them with them all day long, but their actual luggage had to be out the evening before we docked. The luggage is secured under a tent dockside and they claim it as they board their buses for the transfer to the airport. (this claiming of the luggage dockside is new to us as previous cruises, they shipped it all to the airport and you claimed it there. It was a terrible procedure and it took up to two hours of standing in line). Hopefully, placing it on the bus with us for the transfer will simplify this procedure, but will have to let you know after we actually go through the process ourselves.

Princess did not begin embarkation procedures until the staterooms were ready to occupy by the new passengers (around 11:30 this time). The new passengers could go directly to their staterooms (Paul, they may be had a fluke your cruise as we have always been some of the first to board in Tahiti, and the staterooms were always ready and waiting for us).

Many booked tours that last day to help pass the time. Very few of this group stayed onboard the ship all day, so we found it much less crowded then previous sailing, but I am sure each cruise is different in that respect. Still not sure what we are going to do, it may depend on the tours offered when that sign up sheet is delivered closer to the end of this cruise.

I am headed up to the spa soon to see if I can make an appointment to use the spa showers that final day. Will let you know how that works out after I give it a go.

A bit cloudy this afternoon, so it is much cooler than it was yesterday. Maybe a little rain later on, will have to wait and see.

We went into Le March again earlier to pick up a few gifts for the staff that wanted a surprise when I asked if they needed anything. Look out though, these prices are outragious in Tahiti now. An artifical flower for your hair (bought one for myself and one for the future cruise consulatant as she broke hers and I was tired of seeing her with a broken flower behind her ear lol). The same ones in Hawaii were $3.95 while here in Tahiti one will set you back $12. Yes, the exact same thing, but the prices are out of this world. So, anyone planning a trip, budget accordingly, you will need it if you plan to shop much.

I found out this morning that last year the Tahitian government has agreed to allow them to keep the slots and the one shop open even in port now. I gave my offering earlier and will probably go later on to try to get at least some of it back. So, for those slot players that have enough shopping in the heat, it is an option now onboard.

Bye for now, time to go see if I can find one CC member from our roll call that I ran into at check in. Haven't seen her since, but I keep my eyes open watching for her.

From another glorious day in Tahiti, signing off for this time.

I forgot to mention previously, we have a much younger crowd on this cruise then the previous one. BUT, probably 75% of the passenger make up are from France and most speak no English whatsoever. Announcements are made in both French and English and they have already started complaining (we have been told) that there is no type of French language television shown in the staterooms, and not all staff members can understand what they are saying. Those staff members onboard that speak any type of French are working around the clock trying to answer their questions. They already looked exhausted as the staff that do speak French are on call 24/7 now to translate.

I can not understand (unless I am missing something here) why anyone would book a cruise on a ship that is run on U.S. dollars and uses the English langauge for the basic communication and expect it to be otherwise while onboard. This might get very interesting.

But we disembarked the wheelchairs, walkers, scooters, etc yesterday (with mostly tender ports now, this is would not be the best choice for those with walking or disability problems. Very uneven surfaces in many ports and even if they would tender to shore, they would not find it easy to get around once there).

Off to see what type of French food they are offering for lunch now. lol

I forgot to mention previously, we have a much younger crowd on this cruise then the previous one. BUT, probably 75% of the passenger make up are from France and most speak no English whatsoever. Announcements are made in both French and English and they have already started complaining (we have been told) that there is no type of French language television shown in the staterooms, and not all staff members can understand what they are saying. Those staff members onboard that speak any type of French are working around the clock trying to answer their questions. They already looked exhausted as the staff that do speak French are on call 24/7 now to translate.

I can not understand (unless I am missing something here) why anyone would book a cruise on a ship that is run on U.S. dollars and uses the English langauge for the basic communication and expect it to be otherwise while onboard. This might get very interesting.

But we disembarked the wheelchairs, walkers, scooters, etc yesterday (with mostly tender ports now, this is would not be the best choice for those with walking or disability problems. Very uneven surfaces in many ports and even if they would tender to shore, they would not find it easy to get around once there).

Remember Americans expect everyone, everywhere to be completely fluent in English. If someone is not fluent, we just shout louder. :)

I am enjoying reading your report and felt the need to say thank you for taking the time during your vacation to share it with us. I love reading about everything. The food sounds fabulous and the ports amazing; I laughed real loud about the unexpected showers on your balcony.:D I can't wait for there to be more, but I will be patience; this is your vacation after all. Again, thank you because I know this is the only way I'll see these islands is through your eyes, or until all our children leave the nest.

Toto, thank you for your many wonderful posts. I found this thread about a week ago and now check it daily. My husband and I will be on the Nov 18th sailing with Vette. My husband doesn't want to go, mostly because of the long flight. Your posts are helping to keep up my enthusium. I hope things have settled down in your cabin and all is well in the back of the ship. We will be in 6093 and I've enjoyed reading about the views.

It seems I remember you from a sailing a few years ago. Maybe the Agean on the Golden or the TransAtlanta on the Grand. Keep up the posts, as I reading it is hard to believe that I will soon be seeing all that you and others are writing about.

Jean

I have yet to meet a European--French or otherwise--who does not speak English. No way the younger French do not speak English as everyone takes it in school.

Then you have not been to Canada. We are a big melting pot here as far as ethnic groups go and many many people do not speak English. The ones Toto is referring to may be younger than the last cruise but probably not young young as in 20's....maybe 40's, 50's and 60's ( just younger than the last cruise LOL ). In Quebec, there are many areas where English is not spoken at all.

Another example is in San Francisco. There is such a large population of Chinese that the children don't even have to go to school outside of Chinatown. If they have gone to school there, I'm sure English is spoken but their parents may not.

Then there are those who understand but will not speak English.

Then you have not been to Canada. We are a big melting pot here as far as ethnic groups go and many many people do not speak English. The ones Toto is referring to may be younger than the last cruise but probably not young young as in 20's....maybe 40's, 50's and 60's ( just younger than the last cruise LOL ). In Quebec, there are many areas where English is not spoken at all.

Another example is in San Francisco. There is such a large population of Chinese that the children don't even have to go to school outside of Chinatown. If they have gone to school there, I'm sure English is spoken but their parents may not.

Then there are those who understand but will not speak English.

I believe she said "European".

Muster Drill is in a few minutes, so I am hiding out letting my hair "blow dry" as in wind blow drying it and it's a great feeling. :) We do not have to attend muster this time, which is a good thing.

I wanted to pop in to alert/backup what I have read from other CC members (the spa would probably hang me from the aft if they knew I was telling you this) BUT you are allowed to use the spa showers on disembarkation day, whenever you would like. You do not need to make a reservation or alert them beforehand, you just show up and it's a first come first served type of thing. They are now open from 11:00 AM on that day for spa treatments, so there will be plenty of staff around. On our last cruise from that we disembarked in Tahiti, the spa was closed the final day, so another change it seems.

The staff at the spa told me this is not publicized, and they asked that I not tell others onboard that it is available, or they would have a mob scene. ;) But since you all aren't onboard with us, they didn't ask me not to tell Cruise Critic members. :)

It has been a delightful afternoon and we can't wait until we sail in about an hour. It's time to start snorkeling and really enjoying the water as much as we can this last 10 days. Tomorrow we have Marc's tour booked again in Huahine. We actually did this tour about 5 years ago and it rained the entire day like the sky had opened up and buckets of rain poured down the whole day. I have checked the weather online and it seems there is no rain in the forecast, so we just might be able to enjoy it more the second time around.

Heading to the dining room this evening (I think), or at least that is the plan right now. The menu looks pretty inviting and we need a change of scenery as we have only been there twice so far.

We may even try Sabatinis this cruise. Marco and Daniel said they are starting new menus day after tomorrow and gave us a preview this afternoon. So, we have to revist our friends at the steakhouse at least once, and possibly Sabatinis also and not sure how many more times we will visit the dining room with all these ports coming up.

Casino was very kind to me this afternoon, and I made up for my losses this morning. The one great thing was.....................I was the ONLY one there, and it was so peaceful and fun to not have it packed (as this casino is very small).

Bye for now. Will report in again either tomorrow night or the next day (another sea day) with how things went on Marc's Motu Picnic and drift snorkel tour.

BTW-I don't think these new passengers are French Canadian, but actually from France (from what I have been told). Definitely not young, as in their 20's but more like 40's and 50's. ;)

I believe she said "European".

Hey, Europeans are in Canada too. A large population of Canada are Europeans. Even though they now live in Canada, they still consider themselves Europeans and that's why some don't speak English. In my original post, I did not want to single out the Europeans because there are many ethnic groups who do not speak English and that's why I referred to us as a melting pot.

I gave Canada as an example because I live here. Other than San Francisco, I could not speak for the US because I don't have personal knowledge although I have seen examples on TV.

Why would Toto post about the lack of English spoken if it were not so?

Bonjour mon amis...

We have travelled by land extensively throughout Europe including a large amount of time in France.

We have found throughout France and other countries many people who speak very limited if any English.

However, what we have also found is their limited English which they seem very reserved ( almost embarassed) to is far better than my attempt at French, Italian, Greek, Bulgarian, Czech...etc.

the trick is to find someone under 16 years of age as they are now learning it in school

it sounds like the demographics on the ship right now wont allow that!!!

now, you never know maybe this group assumed or were told french was spoken onboard since the ship is sailing in french polynesia???

[/i think some of the COLOR]

head waiters do speak French..I think Herminio and Fernando do...at least a petit amount..so that should help with their frustrations of english menu

Toto....do you speak any French???

I hope you have a wonderful time snorkeling...

and I promise I;ll keep the secret about the spa showers

Hey, Europeans are in Canada too. A large population of Canada are Europeans. Even though they now live in Canada, they still consider themselves Europeans and that's why some don't speak English. In my original post, I did not want to single out the Europeans because there are many ethnic groups who do not speak English and that's why I referred to us as a melting pot.

I gave Canada as an example because I live here. Other than San Francisco, I could not speak for the US because I don't have personal knowledge although I have seen examples on TV.

On our Hawaiian cruise, there was a huge group of French speakers onboard. Our neighbors were in this group, but since we don't speak French -- and apparently they weren't English speakers -- we didn't ask if they were from France or a French-speaking African nation. There was a channel on the in-cabin tv that was devoted to French language programming the whole time. We did watch parts of a couple of movies in French...at least with "The Incredibles," we have seen that so many times, we already knew the story and much of the dialogue.

In Los Angeles, it does help to know some Spanish. Where we live, there's a huge Korean population so I'm constantly hearing that language too. Just don't know any of the words.

OK OK lets keep this on topic.

Archived